The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Old 03-06-2014, 03:21 PM   #1
Sawyer
The DCEU Is Born

Default Southpaw - Jake Gyllenhaal Starring in Antoine Fuqua/Kurt Sutter Boxing Drama

http://www.deadline.com/2014/03/anto...l-set-to-star/
Quote:
Antoine Fuqua Closes Deal To Direct Kurt Sutter-Penned ‘Southpaw’; Jake Gyllenhaal Set To Star
By ANITA BUSCH

EXCLUSIVE: Antoine Fuqua (Training Day, Olympus Has Fallen) has chosen his next film. He will direct Southpaw, the drama written by Sons Of Anarchy creator Kurt Sutter set in the boxing world. Jake Gyllenhaal is now set to star as a welterweight champion who rises in his profession while his personal life falls apart. The picture, financed by The Weinstein Company, will start before the cameras this summer. Fuqua was looking at a number of projects to helm but decided on Southpaw, and his deal closed last night. Still to cast is the other lead, Titus ‘Tick’ Willis, a former fighter who was forced to retire after losing an eye and was on his way to becoming a pro trainer but retreated after his son was killed. This is a movie that could include some breakthrough performances as the script plays to cultural diversity.

The project is being produced by Fuqua, Alan Riche and Peter Riche. Gyllenhaal is currently in production on Everest alongside Josh Brolin, Emily Watson and newcomer Clive Standen (Vikings) for Emmett/Furla and Universal, and last played a cop in Prisoners. Fuqua is repped by CAA, Gyllenhaal is repped by WME.
Mostly excited by Sutter's involvement. But the other two are good too, I guess.

THE CYCLE OF FANBOY ANGST
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:26 PM   #2
Zeus
Side-Kick

Default Re: Southpaw - Jake Gyllenhaal Starring in Antoine Fuqua/Kurt Sutter Boxing Drama

Damn it Jake...Why dont you make that Joe Namath film already

Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:57 PM   #3
Sawyer
The DCEU Is Born

Default Re: Southpaw - Jake Gyllenhaal Starring in Antoine Fuqua/Kurt Sutter Boxing Drama

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/twcs...ongo-circling/
Quote:
‘Southpaw’ Has Forest Whitaker, Rachel McAdams And Lupita Nyong’o Circling For Weinstein Company
By MIKE FLEMING JR

EXCLUSIVE: Southpaw, the long-gestating Kurt Sutter-scripted drama about a fighter who tries to overcome adversity to recapture glory, is finally getting close to the start line. I’m hearing that The Weinstein Company and director Antoine Fuqua have made Rachel McAdams their choice to play the female lead alongside Jake Gyllenhaal, with Forest Whitaker in talks to play the boxing trainer who tries to guide his fighter back after his world is shattered by personal tragedy. It sends him on a downward spiral and puts his young daughter in a bad spot. I’m hearing TWC is courting 12 Years A Slave Oscar winner Lupita Nyong‘o to play the social worker watching out for the kid. Alan Riche and Peter Riche are producing with Todd Black and Jason Blumenthal. Fuqua has brought his Equalizer scribe Richard Wenk on for a rewrite.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
Sawyer
The DCEU Is Born

http://deadline.com/2014/11/jake-gyl...er-1201300519/
Quote:
Jake Gyllenhaal’s Startling ‘Southpaw’ Makeover: Exclusive Photo
by Mike Fleming Jr

EXCLUSIVE: Jake Gyllenhaal won fans for his dedication and commitment in losing 25 pounds to play the sociopath nocturnal adrenaline junkie camera man Lou Bloom in Nightcrawler. He’s remade himself in a whole different physical fashion to play a championship prize fighter next year in Southpaw, and I’m betting it will have Gyllenhaal in the conversation with past actors who’ve trained to turn in memorable ring performances, a list that includes Raging Bull’s Robert De Niro, The Boxer‘s Daniel Day-Lewis, The Fighter‘s Mark Wahlberg and The Hurricane’s Denzel Washington.

Here, Deadline exclusively reveals the first image of Gyllenhaal from the Antoine Fuqua-directed Kurt Sutter-scripted Southpaw; it is clear Gyllenhaal has turned himself into a jacked, ripped beast, gaining 15 pounds of pure muscle. Gyllenhaal plays Junior Middleweight Champion Billy “The Great” Hope, a lefty champ who loses everything in a personal tragedy and is forced to fight his way to redemption.

There is a proud tradition of actors putting themselves through grueling preparation for their roles.

Gyllenhaal’s back to back shape shifting in Nightcrawler and Southpaw seems the most radical since the weight shed that Matthew McConaughey went through going from Magic Mike to his Oscar-winning turn in Dallas Buyers Club and True Detective.

Gyllenhaal, who puts the Southpaw physique on display next year when The Weinstein Company releases the film, just received a Spirit Award nomination for Best Actor this past week for Nightcrawler.

When I interviewed Fuqua about his work with Denzel Washington in The Equalizer, he couldn’t hide his enthusiasm for how much he feels Gyllenhaal will change perception of himself as leading man (they’ve since agreed to re-team on The Man Who Made It Snow).

“I’m so pumped, man,” Fuqua said. “Jake is going to change how people see him. I had him training twice a day in the boxing ring, he did two-a-days seven days a week. I pretty much had him with me and my trainer every day. I took him to almost every fight. I had him train at Floyd Mayweather’s gym in Vegas and we watched Floyd’s fights, and the Manny Pacquiao fight. He trained in New York at Church Gym with real fighters. We literally turned him into a beast… Jake, my god, he’s a very electric, powerful fighter in this movie, and a guy who fights for his daughter. I’m confident that this will change how people see Jake, as a leading man.

“He sure has grown up. I love this guy. I met Jake years ago before he did End of Watch, and I saw something in him. I told him he needed to do more masculine films because I could see he had this power in him, and good size, and great expressive eyes. When I met him I said, ‘You’ve got to start doing that.’ And I watched him start. Working with him was a great experience because he’s so committed and gives his heart. You’re going to see in this movie, how far he has come. I asked this guy from day one, ‘I need you in the gym every day. I need you to train every day.’ And I said, ‘The word is sacrifice.’ Literally. I think he broke up with his girlfriend because he was just in the gym every day. He was training like a fighter. I had him sparring, really getting hit. I put him in situations where I wanted to see what he was made of. No one but fighters understand the sacrifice it takes to be a fighter.”

Looks from the first image like Gyllenhaal understands.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:17 PM   #5
Blackman
C'mon Son

Been looking forward to this

Blackman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 04:03 PM   #6
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Jake is ripped!

Unbroken- 8/10, Night at the Museum 3- 7/10, Taken 3- 6/10, Jupiter Ascending- 4/10, McFarland USA- 8/10, Cinderella- 8.5/10, Home- 6/10, Furious 7- 7/10, Monkey Kingdom- 8/10, Avengers: Age of Ultron- 9/10, Mad Max: Fury Road- 8.5/10, Tomorrowland- 7.5/10, Jurassic World- 8/10, Inside Out- 10/10, Ant Man- 9/10
Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 04:31 PM   #7
StarLord
Spanish Conquistador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Holy hell!

StarLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 04:44 PM   #8
Hurm...
Side-Kick

Gyllenhaal has been unstoppable lately. Prisoners, Enemy, Nightcrawler - all brilliant performances.

BRRRRRRMMMMMMM

Hurm... is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:03 PM   #9
TyrionLannister
Side-Kick

Wow! From the gaunt Lou in Nightcrawler to this is quite a transformation! Looking forward to this.

TyrionLannister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #10
Harry Dresden
Side-Kick

He's huge what the hell...

Harry Dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:27 PM   #11
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

The sequel will be called Orthodox.

Fallen Angel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 06:00 PM   #12
Sawyer
The DCEU Is Born

Not only is he ripped, but I can barely recognize his face. Sure he's battered, but I honestly thought he was Scott Speedman.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:24 PM   #13
kvz5
HBIC
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Not only is he ripped, but I can barely recognize his face. Sure he's battered, but I honestly thought he was Scott Speedman.
Ditto. Except, I thought he was Jeremy Renner.

kvz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:25 PM   #14
green

Quote:
Woof.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:30 PM   #15
terry78
Who loves ya, baby?

Marvel/DC, get this ****er in one of your films stat.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 05:19 PM   #16
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

For real. He'd be great. No clue who he should play though!

Unbroken- 8/10, Night at the Museum 3- 7/10, Taken 3- 6/10, Jupiter Ascending- 4/10, McFarland USA- 8/10, Cinderella- 8.5/10, Home- 6/10, Furious 7- 7/10, Monkey Kingdom- 8/10, Avengers: Age of Ultron- 9/10, Mad Max: Fury Road- 8.5/10, Tomorrowland- 7.5/10, Jurassic World- 8/10, Inside Out- 10/10, Ant Man- 9/10
Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:22 PM   #17
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

I have a feeling he's going to stay away from those types of films.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:31 PM   #18
Sawyer
The DCEU Is Born

After Prince of Persia, probably.

But who knows...

Old 11-29-2014, 06:36 PM   #19
Schlosser85
Watchful Protector
SHH! Global Moderator

Gyllenhaal needs an Oscar.

Movie Review Site:

H.E.
Schlosser85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:48 PM   #20
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Marvel/DC, get this ****er in one of your films stat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
I have a feeling he's going to stay away from those types of films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimod0 View Post
For real. He'd be great. No clue who he should play though!
Gyllenhaal is great, but yeah I dont think he's done many blockbuster movies other than Day After Tomorrow and PoP. Im positive he'll do fine if he had the right script.

The thing is he probably doesnt need the money cuz he gets steady work and he doesnt need the profile boost so unless a really good blockbuster script comes along I doubt he'll do one.

As for who he could play superhero wise? Im not sure. He wouldnt make a bad Peter Parker or Hal Jordan, but I doubt he gets those roles

Blackman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 07:00 PM   #21
Schlosser85
Watchful Protector
SHH! Global Moderator

He would have made a good Peter Parker a while ago (and almost replaced Tobey in Spider-Man 2 when Tobey hurt his back filming Seabiscuit), but I doubt he'd do it now.

Movie Review Site:

H.E.
Schlosser85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 07:01 PM   #22
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
Gyllenhaal is great, but yeah I dont think he's done many blockbuster movies other than Day After Tomorrow and PoP. Im positive he'll do fine if he had the right script.

The thing is he probably doesnt need the money cuz he gets steady work and he doesnt need the profile boost so unless a really good blockbuster script comes along I doubt he'll do one.

As for who he could play superhero wise? Im not sure. He wouldnt make a bad Peter Parker or Hal Jordan, but I doubt he gets those roles
After those films, he decided to change what he does...

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/ja...st-1201294229/

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

Old 11-29-2014, 07:07 PM   #23
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

The pic in this article makes it easier to make out that it's him...

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/ja...to-1201366930/

"

Old 11-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #24
Sawyer
The DCEU Is Born

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
He would have made a good Peter Parker a while ago (and almost replaced Tobey in Spider-Man 2 when Tobey hurt his back filming Seabiscuit), but I doubt he'd do it now.
Too old for it anyway. By the time the role is up for grabs again, he'll be significantly older than Tobey was when he left off.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:29 PM   #25
terry78
Who loves ya, baby?

I'd probably want him as a villain now over a hero.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote