The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Old 03-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #76
Octoberist
point blank

Default Re: Jane Got a Gun (Natalie Portman)

Lets assume that this is true, I would wait until Fassy's available again. Even a delay is in order.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #77
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

They're going to make this movie, they can't just delay at the start of production. I expect Law/Fassy's replacement to come in within a day or so.

Maybe the producers will go to the runner-up actor who was considered before Fassbender and Law...

"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #78
Bowie
Banned User

The departures of Fassbender and Law have effectively killed my interest in this.

Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #79
WorthyStevens
Green Man

There's always Sam Rockwell...

"OFF TO WORK"

- T (TOBIAS)
WorthyStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #80
Dragon_316ca
Side-Kick

@TheInSneider
Quote:
LA Times is reporting JANE GOT A GUN director Gavin O'Connor is looking at Jake Gyllenhaal, Tobey Maguire & Jeff Bridges to replace Jude Law
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,6948048.story
Quote:
One source close to the production who spoke to The Times said Ramsay terminated her involvement with the producers on the Saturday before production began because of a contract dispute.

Reps from her agency, WME, declined to comment.

Another source with knowledge of the film's inner workings said Ramsay may be dealing with some personal issues and that's why she failed to show on Monday. The source, who was not authorized to speak publicly about the situation, said that at 5:30 a.m. Monday, stars Portman and Joel Edgerton were prepped and ready to go along with the 150-person crew and some horses. Yet they had no Ramsay.

The Scottish director, one source added, has returned to the U.K.

Matthew Modine: You can't really relate to Thor, for instance! I like the story, but I don't relate to him -- I can't use his hammer!

Last edited by Dragon_316ca; 03-21-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Dragon_316ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:14 PM   #81
Octoberist
point blank

I wish Gavin O' Connor can get Charlie Prince himself, Ben Foster, to play the villain. Too bad he's busy doing a play on Broadway.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #82
Octoberist
point blank

I hope the movie ends up being good and not one of those movies where you can feel the 'behind the scene' conflict as you're watching it.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #83
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

I think the reason O'Connor is looking at Gyllenhaal, Maguire and Bridges is because Portman worked with the first two in Brothers. (And probably to keep her in the production.)

It's a shame Ramsey abandoned the film for personal issues... she needed to do that earlier than the weekend prior to shooting. That way, it doesn't reflect on her badly like that.

"Come Think With Us."

Last edited by mclay18; 03-21-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #84
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

I have no real desire to see this film, but man do I want to know exactly how this production is going.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #85
Octoberist
point blank

With the recasting of the villain, it's weird to see that age-leap from Tobey and Jake to Jeff Bridges.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #86
Schlosser85
SHH! Global Moderator
SHH! Global Moderator

Yea, Tobey, Jake, and Jeff Bridges all being considered for the same character is odd.

Tobey and Jake I can see their similarities, but Bridges?

Two wrongs just make something more wrong.

Movie Review Site:
Schlosser85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #87
Octoberist
point blank

I feel like it'll be a different dynamic with either the (still) boyish actors as the villains vs. the older, Hollywood vet. Which will have the more gravity?

Will the villain be a young, reckless man who is power hungry and trying to make a reputation? Or a conniving middle-aged man with a long history of villainy?

But if I had to pick one, I guess I would go with Bridges. It's an expected role for him, but he would deliever and will have the gravity to go against Edgerton.

Last edited by Octoberist; 03-22-2013 at 04:04 AM.
Octoberist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #88
Octoberist
point blank

Also, if Gavin O'Connor can save this movie, despite it's huge problems, and make it into a modern classic, THEN IT'LL MAKE HIS CAREER. He'll soar into stardom as a filmmaker.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:11 PM   #89
Rocketman
Side-Kick

Can someone bring me up to speed on this whole thing? It sounds absolutely insane... Has there ever been a disaster this big in Hollywood history?

Old 03-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #90
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Can someone bring me up to speed on this whole thing? It sounds absolutely insane... Has there ever been a disaster this big in Hollywood history?
Plenty. Just look at 47 Ronin.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #91
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
NOTE: Portman is also a producer on this thing and I'm sure she's freaking out too.

FACTS:

- Two weeks ago, Michael Fassbender left the project as Portman's ex-lover, citing a scheduling conflict with X-Men.

-Then a few days later, Joel Edgerton, who was cast as the villain, took over the 'ex-lover' spot while Jude Law was brought in to play the villain.

-Then on the first day of shooting, the director Lynne Ramsay no-showed and booked a ticket back to the UK. She has since been MIA.

-The mega producer had to quickly find a replacement, and nabbed Gavin O' Connor as the replacement director. He worked on the excellent 'Warrior', also starring Edgerton.

-Then Jude Law bailed because the only reason why he was interested in the role WAS BECAUSE OF LYNN RAMSAY, the original director.

-Now everyone's scrambling to find a replacement for Law. O' Connor has spoken to Tobey McQuire, Jake Gyllenhall, and Jeff Bridges for the 'villain' role. Keep in mind this is last minute.

RUMORS:

- Ramsay has been reported to be a difficult but passionate director, and possibly butted heads with the producer. There are conflicting reports of his MIA; some say she terminated her contract two days before the shoot while some say she just pulled a no-show on day 1.

- Mega Producer is trying to spin this fiasco in his favor, to make Ramsay look bad. Supposedly, his assistant has been trying to ask the trades to make this look as positivie as possible. Some cited that the producer could be a sleaze ball

- Now there's reports that Ramsay butted heads with Fassbender, who left on his own terms. When that happen, everything went to poop and Ramsay no-showed out of personal reasons.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #92
kvz5
HBIC

Interesting read from THR. This one has stories from both sides. There was a source who claims that Ramsey exercised to quit the Saturday before but it was kept secret from Portman.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...e-got-a-430317

Quote:
'Jane Got a Gun': Inside the Turmoil on Natalie Portman's Troubled Western

When Natalie Portman showed up Monday for the first day of shooting on the New Mexico set of Jane Got a Gun, she was unaware of the turmoil going on behind the scenes of the indie Western. Director Lynne Ramsay had just dropped out after a three-day standoff with producer-financier Scott Steindorff, and Jude Law, who had been recruited only days earlier when star Michael Fassbender abruptly quit the movie, would also exit the project.

Sources close to the project who spoke with The Hollywood Reporter are painting a conflicting picture of who is to blame for Ramsay's exit. Two sources say the Scottish filmmaker (We Need to Talk About Kevin) still had not been presented with an approved schedule, script or budget mere days before shooting was set to begin. Another source says Ramsay, who was revising the screenplay herself, failed to deliver a shooting script despite several delays and increasingly bizarre behavior.

One dealmaker says Ramsay had final cut on the film subject to various parameters. If, for example, the movie went over budget or over schedule, she could lose the right to final cut. In light of the uncertainties, Ramsay’s camp apparently asked to amend her deal to preserve a certain measure of creative control amid the delays. But efforts to discuss such issues with the producers were met with resistance. The producers, according to sources, saw the requests as an attempt to renegotiate a deal that already had been closed. With the two sides at an impasse, Ramsay gave notice on Saturday morning that she was exercising her right to exit the project.

However, Ramsay's departure was kept secret from Portman as producers scrambled to find a replacement director. News of Ramsay's exit broke Monday, and by Tuesday, Gavin O’Connor (Warrior) had been hired to take over the project.

But more drama was to follow.

Less than 24 hours later, Law bolted. Sources say the actor had agreed to join the cast because he wanted to work with Ramsay.

The problems on the high-profile project illustrate the pitfalls that can plague indie productions, particularly those relying on A-list talent.

Steindorff, whose credits include 2011’s The Lincoln Lawyer, is said to have butted heads with Ramsay several times during the last two months as the project hit a number of setbacks on its way to its delayed production start date.

The $15 million-budgeted film is the story of a frontier woman (Portman) who reaches out to an ex-lover to help her defend her farm from her outlaw husband and his gang. Fassbender was to play the ex-lover, but he dropped out in early March because of the delays. Fassbender, according to insiders, was facing a time crunch as his next movie, the Fox tentpole X-Men: Days of Future Past, is about to begin filming.

According to insiders, Steindorff submitted a list of 10 actors who were considered bankable to Ramsay and Portman for approval. But the trio cold not agree on Fassbender’s replacement.

Eventually, it was decided to move Joel Edgerton, who was originally set to play the leader of the outlaws, into the role vacated by Fassbender and to hire Law, who worked with Portman on the 2004 drama Closer, to take on the villain part.

By the time the casting was straightened out, Jane was 10 days behind schedule, having lost valuable prep time. And since Edgerton’s name doesn’t carry the same weight as Fassbender's in the foreign pre-sales world, the film’s financing was on shaky ground.

Those issues were straightened out and the film finally was trotting to its March 18 start date. Then came the big clash between Ramsay and Steindorff over the script, creative control and the budget. A dispute on Friday carried over into Saturday, with Ramsay deciding she wanted out. She apparently has returned home to the U.K.

O'Connor began shooting on Thursday, but not before other problems emerged.

For example, 175 extras had been hired to work this coming weekend but because of the delays, the original schedule was scrapped and the production informed the background actors they weren't going to be used. Producers then had to rehire a brand new group of extras for a newly scheduled midweek shoot.

Sources who have worked with Ramsay say that the director can be fickle and difficult. But her defenders respond that such characteristics are common among top filmmakers and that Ramsay has been painted as particularly difficult because she is a woman.

Jane isn’t the first project Ramsay has spent years developing only to leave it behind under strained circumstances. At one point, she was set to direct the screen adaptation of The Lovely Bones, which was eventually scooped up by DreamWorks and Peter Jackson.

She also suffered a few ups and downs with financing while making her acclaimed indie We Need to Talk About Kevin.

kvz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #93
Octoberist
point blank

Why would they hide this drama from Portman like that? It makes everyone look like sleazeballs.

Also, I knew Fassbender had to leave to 'Jane's scheduling and 'X-Men'. Now it's clear the film's weeks/months behind schedule, and Michael had no choice but to leave.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #94
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

I really feel bad for Portman. As a producer and star, she should've been notified of Ramsey's leave notice, and even with the clash behind the scenes, Ramsey made a terrible mistake of bailing right before production begins.

You just don't do that. You're essentially blacklisting yourself as unreliable, no matter who or what your gender is.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 03-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #95
Octoberist
point blank

She's just stuck in the middle and I hope her angers translates into her role.

And no matter what, at this point, they're going over budget especially if they had to fire 150 extras due to the delay. And signing the contracts to who ever is coming in to replaced Law, who replaced Edgerton's original role who replaced Fassbender. Confusing game of musical chairs.

And I feel like the whole dynamic sucks now with the loss of Fassbender; he was the draw for me.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #96
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
Wow, so Fassy and Ramsay probably buttheads: Fassy is known to be a grounded dude too. I was trying to give Ramsay the benefit of the doubt despite many rumors of her being difficult..
Fassbender is passionate about his work. He has talked about not taking s*** from people who talk BS to him in the industry.

I think its just another chase of foreign/indie director used to having things their own way coming to Hollywood seeing how the business is done there for the first time, realizing they don't like it and running for the hills.

Ramsay just split at the last minute while other directors stick it out produce a terrible movie they don't have much creative control over and hope it turns out well enough that it doesn't ruin their career.

Last edited by chamber-music; 03-22-2013 at 11:44 AM.
chamber-music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #97
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Well, that's Hollywood. Unless you got massive pull you have to go with the studio. Which you don't get until you break some bank.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #98
kvz5
HBIC

Well, at least they're shooting now. The screenwriter has been tweeting updates:

https://twitter.com/BrianDuffield

I've been following this guy for ages and I didn't know until recently that he wrote this.

kvz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #99
Octoberist
point blank

Still no update on the still-vacant villain spot, huh?

Old 03-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #100
Drizzle
ALL HAIL MAURICE

Is Tom Hardy available?