The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 05-24-2012, 01:22 AM   #76
LostSon88
Side-Kick

Default Re: G.I Joe 2 moved to March 2013 - film conversion to 3D

Well as a poster mentioned earlier…this could present them an opportunity to rewrite Duke and change his (presumed) fate, given Channing Tatums slowly growing popularity.

Still think this move is stupid though.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:17 AM   #77
Raiden
Hunk of Junk Soars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Well with the decision for the delay they decided to tack on 3D as well and that takes a while.
It doesn't take 9 months to convert a movie to 3D.

I think the real issue is that after Battleship sank against The Avengers, Paramount got cold feet and didn't want the movie to compete against ASM, and maybe the test screenings also spooked them, so they pulled the plug abruptly. The 3D conversion thing is just an excuse for them to appear like they had a plan, but to do it a month before its release and so soon after Battleship bombs at the box office suggest otherwise.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:26 AM   #78
LostSon88
Side-Kick

The 3D excuse just make them look incompetent.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:02 AM   #79
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

The June 29 release date didn't sound such a good idea but I mean like it's been said we are a month out from the release. And no this has never happened before.

The Star Trek decision was made very early in that movie's gestation period. And it wasn't because of a 3D conversion either. They decided to movie it from Winter to have it be their summer tentpole instead. And it wasn't done a month before it was to go to theaters.

Yeah something doesn't smell right here.

I mean I wasn't completely convinced this was going to be an awesome movie, but they've already like finished it apparently. They did the marketing campaign and it was all set up.

Now if this is because of what happened with John Carter and Battleship, I don't know what a 3D conversion and 9 month delay will do.

Just remember everyone, Battleship got an early international release though it wasn't in 3D. While it did make $200 million overseas it still bombed in North America, and that was even with the bought and paid for positive review from EW's Lisa Schwarzbaum calling the movie "EMOTIONALLY COMPLEX" (L O F'N L!)

Should be interesting to hear what Hasbro says at SDCC this year.

And I mean all this hubbub about Channing Tatum now, I mean the dude isn't that good. 21 Jump Street was a hit yes but I mean did anyone actually watch Tatum in the movie? He wasn't that good. He mumbled like all his dialogue and barely said anything at all.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:05 AM   #80
the_ultimate_evil
CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.

this is bloody moronic, seriously if you're worried about the other films push it back to late august early September but an entire year. what happens next year when 2013's big releases go nuts

And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
To view my site tumblr dev art twitter
the_ultimate_evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:28 AM   #81
nightwing06
Side-Kick

The 3D statement is total B.S
Think of all the money they have wasted in ads and posters promoting it for summer 2012
Releasing it in March 29, 2013,with likely no competition is a smart move though

nightwing06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:26 AM   #82
mightiest_mortal
Much Mightier than thou!

I hate 3d, but from a marketing point of view, having it 3D and NOT up against Batman,Avengers,MIB3, Amazing Spider-man AND Prometheus isn't a too bad marketing decision.

No matter how good the film may be or how much confidence in it they have, putting it up against that lot for the Summer would be insanity. Much as I'm looking forward to the film, I think "for them" they probably did the right decision.. and hey, if it does make more money this way maybe there's more chance of another sequel.

Slightly off topic... Is it just me that was actually more excited about this film than Dark Knight Rises? It actually looked fun, and the trailer was kickass. As much as I LOVED Dark Knight, the marketing for DKR has been god awful so far, and hasn't got me excited about it in the slightest :/

mightiest_mortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:28 AM   #83
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Regarding Channing, I'm going to admit, it was the fact that he didn't seem to be in this a whole heck of a lot (given what's seen in the trailers) that kind of had me looking forward to this one after the debacle of the first one. I don't think the guys that great of an actor, and Rock is much more of a draw for me (still think this is a completely idiotic move by the studio... 3D my ass )

~Agents of SHIELD
Silvermoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #84
marvelman2006
Banned User

God could you imagine if the dark knight rises pulled these shennanigans july 1st? I mean they spent money on a super bowl spot, tv spots, posters, trailers, action figures, merchandise galore and now for an extra couple million there gonna post convert it to 3D. I just dont think the juice is worth the squeeze.

marvelman2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:03 AM   #85
Donut
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Just remember everyone, Battleship got an early international release
& due to that almost anyone in the U.S. that wanted to see Battleship saw it early. Whos smart ass idea was to do that ? That person should be fired. Battleship probably would have had a decent opening weekend at the least domestically. If not for that long delay

Donut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #86
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

This really sucks! First Star Trek and now G.I. Joe!

Oh well at least I have another movie to look forward to next year.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:24 AM   #87
marvelman2006
Banned User

So next year they'll have GI joe 2 and star trek 2?

Old 05-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #88
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

How annoying. Now I'm not going to have anything to see until the Dark Knight Rises comes out.

2014 IS THE YEAR DC/WB DECIDED TO GET SERIOUS.
I SEE SPIDEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #89
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelman2006 View Post
So next year they'll have GI joe 2 and star trek 2?
Yup! They are both from Paramount Pictures and had a 2012 release date thats why I mentioned Star Trek 2.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #90
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

This is just as ABSURD as pushing back 'Jack the Giant Killer,' I swear to god it still irks me every time I see that trailer played at my local theater on the screens outside. And this? Is even going to confuse the hell out of the general audience even more. If you shelve a movie DON'T market it until it's about to come out! And as to marketing, how much marketing money did it just throw down the drain?

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:10 AM   #91
Philly Phanboy
LIVIN' LA VIDA PHANBOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightiest_mortal View Post
I hate 3d, but from a marketing point of view, having it 3D and NOT up against Batman,Avengers,MIB3, Amazing Spider-man AND Prometheus isn't a too bad marketing decision.

No matter how good the film may be or how much confidence in it they have, putting it up against that lot for the Summer would be insanity. Much as I'm looking forward to the film, I think "for them" they probably did the right decision.. and hey, if it does make more money this way maybe there's more chance of another sequel.

Slightly off topic... Is it just me that was actually more excited about this film than Dark Knight Rises? It actually looked fun, and the trailer was kickass. As much as I LOVED Dark Knight, the marketing for DKR has been god awful so far, and hasn't got me excited about it in the slightest :/
If they only generated money through ticket sales then "yes". The thing is the Hasboro merchandising is going to take a HUGE hit moving this back to next spring and missing out on all the possible holiday season sales. The move makes no sense from my perspective. If anything they could have delayed until late August with 2D format and still managed to save face.

Philly Phanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #92
bapi
Side-Kick

Disgusting!

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008
bapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #93
marvelman2006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Yup! They are both from Paramount Pictures and had a 2012 release date thats why I mentioned Star Trek 2.

Ok, that makes sense from a business sense because if both do well then they can save face and say they had to big blockbusters in the green but GI joe 2 was obviously done and in the can but why didnt they decide on 3D a long time ago, its not like the tech just came out for the avengers. I really think the producers saw a final cut and hit the panic button at what they saw. Who knows what happened really but atleast the tv networks got free money this year from paramount and the best part is theyll have to pay again next year for brand new tv spots. I just feel like these knee jerk decisions are what eventionally lead to studios closing there doors due to wasted amounts of money.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #94
marvelman2006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Phanboy View Post
If they only generated money through ticket sales then "yes". The thing is the Hasboro merchandising is going to take a HUGE hit moving this back to next spring and missing out on all the possible holiday season sales. The move makes no sense from my perspective. If anything they could have delayed until late August with 2D format and still managed to save face.

thats what I was thinking and unless maybe they release the figures at xmas time still to make some profit but without a movie most kids wont pay too much attention. Arent there even some figures and merchandise at stores now?

Old 05-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #95
Zanham
Banned User

This is surprising and at first I thought it was a joke. Still, there are plenty of other yet to come releases such as Promethus, The Dark Knight Rises, and Total Recall that I can see and current releases such as The Avengers. It really is a jam-packed summer for movies worth seeing and still is.

Last edited by Zanham; 05-24-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Zanham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #96
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

This sucks.

3. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Interstellar

Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #97
Kane52630
Bio-Digtial Jazz, Man.

Just noticed that The Rock will now have a film each month next year from March to May. (GI Joe 2, Pain & Gain, and Fast 6)

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Kane52630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #98
Blackman
C'mon Son

on twitter Rock confirmed theyre shooting all new scenes.

Blackman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #99
Donut
Side-Kick

I guess the current movie must have sucked. Or is Paramount really doing this to include Channing Tatum in the movie ?

Donut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #100
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

If they are shooting new scenes than we know this is about more than just a 3D conversion.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote