The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

View Poll Results: Which mask should wolverine have in a movie?
The tan and brown mask 58 49.57%
The yellow and blue mask 22 18.80%
Neither, it won't work for a movie 37 31.62%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #126
marcvader
Lurker #1

Default Re: Wolverine's Mask

Sadly, there's no room for masks and costumes in this universe. If it had been established from the start that heroes wore costumes or masks in this universe it would be a different story.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #127
x-fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
Sadly, there's no room for masks and costumes in this universe. If it had been established from the start that heroes wore costumes or masks in this universe it would be a different story.
And this s why I hope Marvel gets the rights back, then we get a proper X-film.

x-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:54 PM   #128
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

We already had proper X-films.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:32 AM   #129
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-fan View Post
And this s why I hope Marvel gets the rights back, then we get a proper X-film.
So are you saying the first movie, X2 and First Class aren't proper X-Films?

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:23 AM   #130
marcvader
Lurker #1

Proper X-Films? Laughable While the the first two X-Men films were decent takes on the title they were no where close to accurate.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:05 AM   #131
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Outside of the costumes, they were as accurate an adaptation.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #132
BoredGuy
Killing Time

lol, I'm not hoping into this argument

I absolutely HATED First Class, but I seem to be in an extreme minority there

BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #133
gkokujin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Grundy View Post
We already had proper X-films.
no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateJustin View Post
no kid in fifteen years will recall what was going on in the haze of animated card game shows where cat faced japanese children yelled annoyingly and danced around and shot mushrooms out of their mouths.
gkokujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:39 PM   #134
gkokujin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
So are you saying the first movie, X2 and First Class aren't proper X-Films?
correct. They are moderately acceptable, because its all we had, it was new and exciting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateJustin View Post
no kid in fifteen years will recall what was going on in the haze of animated card game shows where cat faced japanese children yelled annoyingly and danced around and shot mushrooms out of their mouths.
gkokujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #135
Project862006
Banned User

they are proper x men films anyone who thinks otherwise is just a plain hater imo why because they didn't look like this it means it wasn't accurate

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #136
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

I feel it's fair to say the X-men movies weren't always that accurate to the source material and it's not just the costumes. Though I think you have to admit that any film adaptation of X-men is going to have big changes from the comics, though I still think the movies (even the ones I like) could be a lot closer to the comics than they are.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #137
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

How weren't they accurate exactly?

Old 09-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #138
x-fan
Side-Kick

character's were off, origins were off, Rogue was shadowkat in the first movie and a teen, she was not feisty or flirty at all, ever, wolvie cried and apologized alot, storm i won't say more, jean, Phoenix...no words, closest characterization was Scott and Xavier, and they screwed SCOTT massively, that said and I hate Scott. original 5 team was wrong. they didn't fight as a team. Wolverine is my fave but , he should have been a back character, way to used, in the trilogy. costumes could have been done in style but used a team color black and gold maybe. there is more but what's the point. I didn't even get to the villains........

x-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #139
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

There is some truth in the complaints that they weren't accurate, although the first film was 12 years ago and things were very different then (although the 2002 Spider-Man film, released just two years after the first X-Men, embraced the comics far more).

I think what people are saying is that whereas characters such as Spider-Man, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and Hulk are unashamedly big, bold and colourful (but never camp or silly), and reflect the comics, many of the X-Men are not.

Now, of course, Nolan's Batman (and his versions of Two-Face, Bane, Catwoman, Talia) doesn't feel that much like the comics either, so veering away from source material can also work, though I sense people were tiring of Nolan's reinterpretations by the time of The Dark Knight Rises, judging by the divided viewpoints and the criticism of Bane and Catwoman in particular.

Avengers proved that embracing the comics, and celebrating the comics, can work big time. Even if it had little character development or themes.

X-Men has similar colourful characters but also the advantage of deep themes and plenty of opportunity for character development. So let's see it.

Whether we see it ALL resemble the comics more closely in this particular iteration of X-Men is another matter. I really can't envision Hugh Jackman wearing the Wolverine mask/costume.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #140
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Quote:
character's were off, origins were off, Rogue was shadowkat in the first movie and a teen, she was not feisty or flirty at all, ever, wolvie cried and apologized alot, storm i won't say more, jean, Phoenix...no words, closest characterization was Scott and Xavier, and they screwed SCOTT massively, that said and I hate Scott. original 5 team was wrong. they didn't fight as a team. Wolverine is my fave but , he should have been a back character, way to used, in the trilogy. costumes could have been done in style but used a team color black and gold maybe. there is more but what's the point. I didn't even get to the villains........
The only thing on here I can agree with is that Cyclops got screwed in the end with Bryan Singer leaving the series. But the characterizations were fine, they fought as a team plenty of times. Wolverine, he's arguably the most popular character, so it makes sense to use him as the audience surrogate character.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:21 AM   #141
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I think what people are saying is that whereas characters such as Spider-Man, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and Hulk are unashamedly big, bold and colourful (but never camp or silly), and reflect the comics, many of the X-Men are not.
Both are plenty campy and silly, and Thor is plenty ashamed.

One doesn’t need to look any further than to Thor’s notably absent helmet and COMPLETELY reworked origin to realize Marvel is doing to Thor what Fox did to Wolverine and for the same reasons. After one scene, Thor’s iconic winged helmet is never seen from again and, just like Wolverine and his yellow spandex, Marvel turns Thor’s Donald Blake origin into a passing joke and nod to fans. Why? Because neither studio is going to take the chance of hiding their action stars behind something that detracts from their presence onscreen.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:31 AM   #142
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

With Thor I don't mind that they went with a more Ultimates route with the origin. I like the crazy person angle better. That's pretty much they're doing with the movies anyway, combining what works with the 616 and Ultimate comics.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:42 AM   #143
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
Both are plenty campy and silly, and Thor is plenty ashamed.

One doesnít need to look any further than to Thorís notably absent helmet and COMPLETELY reworked origin to realize Marvel is doing to Thor what Fox did to Wolverine and for the same reasons. After one scene, Thorís iconic winged helmet is never seen from again and, just like Wolverine and his yellow spandex, Marvel turns Thorís Donald Blake origin into a passing joke and nod to fans. Why? Because neither studio is going to take the chance of hiding their action stars behind something that detracts from their presence onscreen.
They may well have ditched Thor's helmet (and Donald Blake alter-ego) - and there were also complaints about the look of Captain America's helmet in Avengers - but on the other hand, the rest of those character's iconic costumes were (more or less) present and accurate. There were also some grumbles about Thor's costume in the early days, too, but that's typical of fanboys.

I say typical because you only have to check the comments section on CBM to see how they tore apart news like the hiring of Whedon for Avengers. It was greeted with a resounding 'Nooooooooo' and he was dismissed as a 'crappy TV producer' - those same fanboys are now lining up to kiss his butt.

Marvel hasn't gone 'all out' with its adaptations, for sure. Hawkeye was never in a purple suit and pointy mask and Black Widow looked less like the character in Avengers than in Iron Man 2. But the films seem more comfortable with the comic books, somehow. At least we got some blue/yellow suits in First Class.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:06 AM   #144
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
With Thor I don't mind that they went with a more Ultimates route with the origin. I like the crazy person angle better. That's pretty much they're doing with the movies anyway, combining what works with the 616 and Ultimate comics.
I don't mind it either.

Quote:
They may well have ditched Thor's helmet (and Donald Blake alter-ego) - and there were also complaints about the look of Captain America's helmet in Avengers - but on the other hand, the rest of those character's iconic costumes were (more or less) present and accurate. There were also some grumbles about Thor's costume in the early days, too, but that's typical of fanboys.

I say typical because you only have to check the comments section on CBM to see how they tore apart news like the hiring of Whedon for Avengers. It was greeted with a resounding 'Nooooooooo' and he was dismissed as a 'crappy TV producer' - those same fanboys are now lining up to kiss his butt.

Marvel hasn't gone 'all out' with its adaptations, for sure. Hawkeye was never in a purple suit and pointy mask and Black Widow looked less like the character in Avengers than in Iron Man 2. But the films seem more comfortable with the comic books, somehow. At least we got some blue/yellow suits in First Class.
Very true.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #145
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Yeah, there will always be some adaptation from one source to the other

But at least, when you see the Avengers together in their film, you recognize them as the goddam Avengers.

The X-men, meanwhile, were turned into a small group of soldiers, with half their biggest characters never even joining the team. Ages were swapped, relationships unexplored, family dynamics untouched.

Now don't get me wrong, I loved X2
But there is definitely a lot of room to move back closer to the source material.

Which is why I'm hopeful that this movie, being able to stand alone, can be pretty close to its origins, with or without wolverine's costume

BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #146
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Agreed. Rogue sucked and was just there getting captured or being scared , she did nothing in grand scheme of X2 and 3. Storm and CYC are barely in it and the team element of the books were never really shown off well imo. All those character are capable of much more.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #147
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Quote:

And the blue and yellow suits made sense in First Class. But I honestly think they wouldn't have worked as well in the first three X-Men movies though.

Last edited by S. Grundy; 09-20-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #148
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
And the blue and yellow suits made so sense in First Class. But I honestly think they wouldn't have worked as well in the first three X-Men movies though.
Maybe not, at least not with the way the stories were constructed - they were hiding from prejudice and hatred, creeping about in the shadows.

In First Class, it's a different era. There's still plenty of prejudice but not yet against mutants, who aren't known outside the CIA. Plus, we are in the more groovy, psychedelic setting of the 60s and heading towards the even more liberated 70s. So there should be room for some individual expression, style and colour (hopefully without the most horrid excesses like flared legs on pants/trousers)...

Old 09-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #149
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Yeah, the original trilogy they are more of a covert team, so the black leather makes sense, and frankly works.

With First Class, it being the '60s on top of the suits being flight suits, it makes the colors work.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #150
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think everyone is more open to the ideas of being more visually faithful right now because it has lead to success. Visually we got a pretty solid Emma Frost which is something I always thought they mess up on. Things like that make a difference. Has there really ever been a time were people complained for a character looking to much like the comics?

Since Avengers mixes Ultimate and 616 universe I would say Hawkeye is accurate. He just got his Ultimate suit instead of his 616 mask.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote