The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 05-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Default Stop.... HAMMER TIME.... Iron Patriot thread

Sorry, couldn't resist the joke.

Still, I thought it would be prudent to open a IP character thread to discuss the possibilities. Like is he a fusion of Coldblood and Iron Patriot much like Rourke's character was a composite of other villiains in IM2? As some have been speculating. Could it be Norman Osborn and revealed to be played by the same actor as the guy people believe is Norman in TASM's trailer (though I doubt it)?

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.

Last edited by The Infernal; 05-30-2012 at 03:06 PM.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
Chewy
REDACTED

Default Re: Stop.... HAMMER TIME.... Iron Patriot thread

I guess Eric Savin will resurface as the new Iron Patriot in the comics next year

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
I guess Eric Savin will resurface as the new Iron Patriot in the comics next year
Damn, I guess you're right. I'm not a big fan of Marvel wanting to make the 616 resemble everything in the movies. Though it's not like they don't already have American Son (which was way too soon, if it were ever needed in the first place).

I really wish they hadn't pulled the 'Adaptoid to coma' shtick they pulled with the second Black Widow on Osborn (though I've only read the first one). I liked that they had elevated him to Iron Patriot, Director of HAMMER and leader of the Dark Avengers etc. Putting him in a coma seems like a waste.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

You can't have IP without Norman Osborn. My guess it's a joke about Cap with a nod to the comic book fans.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #5
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretNerdGirl View Post
You can't have IP without Norman Osborn. My guess it's a joke about Cap with a nod to the comic book fans.
I'm thinking that maybe it's just a stuntman wearing what will be a repaint and slightly modded War Machine armor that Cheadle/stuntmen will wear for some type of ceremony or party.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretNerdGirl View Post
For all we know it could be an in-joke and this is just a repaint they give it to parade it out after rebuilding if for some random patriot who's less questioning than Rhodey (which could be in keeping with the Coldblood speculation).

Old 05-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
For all we know it could be an in-joke and this is just a repaint they give it to parade it out after rebuilding if for some random patriot who's less questioning than Rhodey (which could be in keeping with the Coldblood speculation).
I could see them finding someone more pliable to wear a WM-style suit, but I kind of question whether or not Stark would give the government a suit after what happened with Hammer's attempt at upgrading the MkII suit.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
Sebastos
Bebop User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Very likely to happen indeed...

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

Currently Listening To:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Sebastos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #9
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Hmmm, very interesting indeed. I wonder if we're being setup somewhat. We know Extremis is a major plot point, but maybe Savin isn't plaing the role of Mallen. Or maybe he starts out as Iron Patriot and then takes the Extremis formula.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Hmmm, very interesting indeed. I wonder if we're being setup somewhat. We know Extremis is a major plot point, but maybe Savin isn't plaing the role of Mallen. Or maybe he starts out as Iron Patriot and then takes the Extremis formula.
If the guy in the suit in the pics is the guy people have claimed was cast as Coldblood, maybe Extremis is reworked slightly in how it works and rather than being cybernetic in the sense Coldblood was in the comics it allows him to work the IP armour.

Maybe that's part of Pearce's characters motivations is that the government are, in his eyes, abusing his technology and he becomes a villain due to the frustration and tries to stop it. That way he would be an odd mirror to RDJ's Tony Stark/Iron Man.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #11
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

I'm very surprised to see IP in the movie, especially since it is apparently Coldblood and not Norman Osborne. Then again, Marvel doesn't have the movie rights of Osborne, so this is the only way for IP to appear in IM3. I guess it has nothing to do with Secret Invasion, either.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America

Last edited by Raiden; 05-30-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #12
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
I'm very surprised to see IP in the movie, especially since it is apparently Coldblood and not Norman Osborne. Then again, Marvel doesn't have the movie rights of Osborne, so this is the only way for IP to appear in IM3. I guess it has nothing to do with Civil War, either.
Well like I've said in the other thread I believe Feige has said Norman is one of those who is available to Marvel as well if they choose to use him, but with the ASM reboot around the corner and it looking like it's the guy cast as Coldblood (allegedly) in the armour it looks unlikely we'll see that version of IP.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=385159

Also, Freshman has posted more pics which seems to show IP with some military brass. Maybe the IP armour is just an in-joke for fans. Though even if it isn't Stromin' Norman, I hope the IP armour has some more relevance to the story.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #13
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

So he is in fact Iron Patriot? Not sure if I'm a fan of using another armored villain.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #14
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
So he is in fact Iron Patriot? Not sure if I'm a fan of using another armored villain.
If it's the guy they're saying was Coldblood then it's more of a case of swapping one armoured villain for another. By this stage there have already been a couple rumoured in the film (and Chinese armoured heroes). Looks like Armour Wars will be a big influence as well.

I just hope the story is good and Stark and the main bad guy have clear story arcs through it all.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:28 PM   #15
ComicForAWife
Gamma God

From my fan made trailer:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

ComicForAWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #16
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicForAWife View Post

From my fan made trailer:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
That was pretty good for a fan trailer. "I don't think I want you looking at that" kinda gave me chills. Nicely edited.

Last edited by The Infernal; 05-30-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:52 PM   #17
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Iron Patriot is clearly not gonna be Osborne; different studios, yadda yadda.

But he's probably guvmint-issue, like War Machine. I don't think it's a joke or a stunt; it's probably the army putting another superweapon into the field alongside War Machine. I'm pretty sure Firepower will turn out to be part of that "battlesuit brigade," too.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #18
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Iron Patriot is clearly not gonna be Osborne; different studios, yadda yadda.

But he's probably guvmint-issue, like War Machine. I don't think it's a joke or a stunt; it's probably the army putting another superweapon into the field alongside War Machine. I'm pretty sure Firepower will turn out to be part of that "battlesuit brigade," too.
But the technology that Hammer/Rhodey took from Stark would be considered intellectual property and probably not be allowed to be used by Stark unless he authorizes it. Pepper in IM2 was on the phone trying to recover the tech that Rhodey flew off with and then subsequently turned into WM by Hammer Industries. Any suit created by the government or another company would face infinite amount of lawsuits to stop their production or use, unless solely authorized by Tony.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #19
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
But the technology that Hammer/Rhodey took from Stark would be considered intellectual property and probably not be allowed to be used by Stark unless he authorizes it. Pepper in IM2 was on the phone trying to recover the tech that Rhodey flew off with and then subsequently turned into WM by Hammer Industries. Any suit created by the government or another company would face infinite amount of lawsuits to stop their production or use, unless solely authorized by Tony.
You haven't read much Iron Man comics, have you....?

That has been the exact plot point of more Iron Man stories over the decades than probably anything else --- people stealing his Iron Man design. And yes, there've been countless lawsuits, and in "Armor Wars," Tony literally staged a one-man war against dozens of rival companies and random bad guys in armor (many of whose suits had no connection to Stark tech at all; but hey, Tony wanted to let the world know there would be only ONE guy in a battlesuit).

Old 05-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #20
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
You haven't read much Iron Man comics, have you....?

That has been the exact plot point of more Iron Man stories over the decades than probably anything else --- people stealing his Iron Man design. And yes, there've been countless lawsuits, and in "Armor Wars," Tony literally staged a one-man war against dozens of rival companies and random bad guys in armor (many of whose suits had no connection to Stark tech at all; but hey, Tony wanted to let the world know there would be only ONE guy in a battlesuit).
Don't know much about Armor Wars since it was published only a couple years after I was born and haven't really gotten into too many comics. As for IM3 and the supposed IP suit, I doubt Tony would allow the government to continue using a IM-based suit that was based on his intellectual technology unless he authorized it. Logically, the government wouldn't be allowed to get away with it without Tony's permission since basic patent and copyright laws I bet still apply in the MCU.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #21
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
Don't know much about Armor Wars since it was published only a couple years after I was born and haven't really gotten into too many comics. As for IM3 and the supposed IP suit, I doubt Tony would allow the government to continue using a IM-based suit that was based on his intellectual technology unless he authorized it. Logically, the government wouldn't be allowed to get away with it without Tony's permission since basic patent and copyright laws I bet still apply in the MCU.
We've already been over this in IM2, though. Tony didn't like that Rhodey stole the MKII, but Rhodey saw it as commandeering tech for the military. The issue was kinda-sorta resolved at the end of that movie, with Rhodey saying that he was going to keep the suit for awhile, Tony saying no, and Rhodey saying that he wasn't asking for permission; he was taking it anyway.

Who knows....maybe that'll actually be a subplot in IM3 anyway, with Tony suing to get the armor and tech back from the military. (I hear there's a lawyer named M. Murdock who's pretty good)

Old 05-30-2012, 09:17 PM   #22
souNdwAve89
Side-Kick

I hope it's not a modified version of War Machine because I would love to see this...

souNdwAve89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:50 AM   #23
nightwing06
Side-Kick

Iron Patriot leader of The Dark Avengers,i wonder if this is this the build up to who The Avengers will face in the sequel ...with some changes of course

nightwing06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:15 AM   #24
The Watcher
Otherwordly Witness

Detroit Steel sounds more likely than Iron Patriot.

http://www.comicvine.com/detroit-steel/29-70306/

Read the history behind him.

The Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:19 AM   #25
Doctor Who
KIDNEYS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwing06 View Post
Iron Patriot leader of The Dark Avengers,i wonder if this is this the build up to who The Avengers will face in the sequel ...with some changes of course
This is weird and grow weary of all these hybrid villains, but OKAY.

Just as long as it doesn't tie into Amazing Spiderman.

l

THE LEGEND ENDS

JULY 20TH 2012
Doctor Who is offline   Reply With Quote