The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Microsoft

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
Soapy
It's happening again...

Default The next Xbox

Rumors are beginning to fly around the internet that Microsoft and many developers are hard at work on the next console, and it may be further along than we think.

'Xbox Next-Gen' spotted in Microsoft CVs.
Quote:
Microsoft employee Jeff Faulkner is currently working as "Xbox Next Gen Creative Director" according to his LinkedIn profile, having occupied the role since January 2011.

Meanwhile "senior creative director for Xbox" Jonathan Harris says he's spent the last 14 months "designing the next generation of entertainment", while Xbox hardware intern Joe Langevin says he's working on "high speed data buses to prevent electromagnetic interference in next-gen devices."

The most revealing of the LinkedIn listings though is arguably that of ex-Microsoft employee Patrick Corrigan, who says he spent the first half of 2011 "providing groundwork an[d] integration for branding elements for next-gen Xbox on all forms of media. Ranging from print to UI across future releases of the Xbox platform".
Next gen XBox chip gets a name and date.
Quote:
It is mating season for the singing moles of Redmond, fresh off their migration back from Mountain View, and they are singing about the XBox Next chip. What’s more, they have a name and a date.

The moles are cooing the name softly while they think up new ways to transition Microsoft’s business model from monopoly abuse to patent trolling. The name they are singing in their tunnels sounds like “Obed”, but the spelling might be a bit off due to echoing in the tunnels.

Obed it seems is SoC, CPU + GPU, and of course eDRAM, it sounds an awful lot like an evolutionary version of the current XBox 360 chip. Some say it is an x86/Bulldozer part, but everything we have been hearing for a long time says that the chip is going to be a PPC variant. In any case, the GPU is definitely made by AMD/ATI, and IBM has a big hand in the SoC design.
A number of Microsoft studios are already preparing projects for the next generation Xbox.
Quote:
That's according to the 'Insider' section of the latest issue of Xbox World, which writes: "We hear a number of Microsoft-friendly developers are hard at work on prepping next gen games as we speak. Could this be the reason why Remedy are so quiet about Alan Wake 2? (Yes)"

It adds: "Rare, Lionhead and Turn 10 all have teams in place too. Rare, we hear, are even prototyping ideas for a new 'mature title'.

Lionhead is busy working on Fable 4 for release in 2013, according to the rumour section in the October 2011 issue of the US Official Xbox Magazine.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:59 PM   #2
CJ
Derpy Derp

Default Re: The next Xbox

...Better not have the hardware problems of the 360.

I'm grateful for what I have, but I do feel a bit foolish investing so much money in a console that I am afraid to play for more than 15 minutes. (Don't have the money to replace my 360, so getting a Red Ring is a big worry for me.)

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG
In Theaters Summer 2017

Old 10-23-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Thanks for posting, can't wait!

Old 10-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

A little too soon for a new console and there really is no need for one IMO until at least 2015.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
jacobed
Banned User

I think both Sony and Microsoft will release their consoles in 2013.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

I can't see Sony doing so. They put a lot of money into the PS3 and still are.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:44 PM   #7
livrule
Side-Kick

Mmmmm, Not sure what to think really. We're coming up to the 360s sixth Birthday but it doesn't feel like its been around long enough yet.

Personally I can't see a replacement coming along for AT LEAST another 2 years, giving the 360 a premium life of 8 years.

But like cjmcray said above ... the damn thing better not be so damn fragile this time, we pay big money for these things and deserve to have kit than can survive being used often over several years. I'm on my second 360 but still have a Super Nintendo that works like a dream.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:39 PM   #8
Soapy
It's happening again...

I really don't understand the "it's too soon"/"it's not necessary" argument.

As for how "necessary" it is, no game console is "necessary". 90% of the bull**** we fill our lives with isn't "necessary". So let's just cut out that stupid argument, shall we?

Moving on. The current Xbox has been around two years longer than the original was, and I feel like it, moreso than the PS3, is getting very long in the tooth. I could maybe (but not really) understand if you're only talking about graphics, but a lot more goes into these consoles than just video cards. ALL of the current consoles have a really pathetic amount of RAM. The lack of an HDD or internal flash memory in the 360 is really a thorn in the side of everyone involved. Choosing DVD in favor of Blu-ray or perhaps even some kind of proprietary high-capacity disk format has also proven to be a weak point on the 360 that could, and should be improved with a new console.

Having said that, depending on how the next consoles shake out, I'm considering not even getting a new console. Except maybe the WiiU. With the way the current consoles are getting regular upgrades, and recently how the 360 version of Battlefield 3 has an optional HD texture pack, it really hit me how similar game consoles are getting to PCs. I can only imagine they'll go even further down that road next generation. And if that's the direction they're going, I might as well just get a gaming PC.

Last edited by Soapy; 10-23-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:48 PM   #9
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Totally agree on that first point!

I'm still getting a hell of a lot of enjoyment from my current 360 and would be content if there was no new console in the next few years. That said I also think the tech is getting very old & will soon be a full generation behind what top modern pcs can do. I expect the next xbox to arrive in 2014 and like the article says, the next xbox and the 360 will likely overlap with both selling well over the overlap period.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:51 PM   #10
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmcray View Post
...Better not have the hardware problems of the 360.

I'm grateful for what I have, but I do feel a bit foolish investing so much money in a console that I am afraid to play for more than 15 minutes. (Don't have the money to replace my 360, so getting a Red Ring is a big worry for me.)
Unfortunate situation and of course Microsoft are at fault here. The problem I think has subsequently fixed with the slim 360 which has a low failure rate. I have had that thing on for more than 24 hours many times in its life.

The amount of money and bad press red rings cost them, I'd be very surprised to see Microsoft ever repeat this problem.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:09 PM   #11
KALEL114
Impending Return
SHH! Global Moderator

They won't. There won't be that "rush to market" like they did this gen. I think with each gen, MS has made big strides and have learned from it's mistakes. Their next console should be amazing if they hold to form.

IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII
IIII
Old 10-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #12
Matt
We Are Hunter Rider!
SHH! Global Moderator

Sony has just started making a real profit off of the PS3. They are going to milk it for a few more years, I think. Plus, I don't think either Sony or Microsoft has the technology to warrant jumping ahead just yet. What can a new system really bring to the table? There is plenty of money to be made in the current gen and really no demand for a new system. They're laying down groundwork, which makes perfect sense but it will be some time before we see serious development.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:25 PM   #13
Boom
I got nothin'

I agree with Matt.

The 360 has plenty of fuel left in the tank.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:18 AM   #14
Soapy
It's happening again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
What can a new system really bring to the table?
  • new IPs
  • bigger HDD
  • ensuring that EVERY console has a HDD so developers don't have design games around the possibility that some people won't have one
  • better video card
  • more RAM
  • faster processor
  • higher poly models
  • higher resolution textures
  • better particle effects
  • better lighting
  • dynamic shadows
  • more elaborate AI routines

I'm just going to go ahead and stop there. Those are more than enough reasons to justify new consoles. I probably could have saved myself a few precious seconds by instead just saying, "new and better games", but oh well.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #15
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

How likely is it that users of Xbox Live on the next Xbox will be able to join parties with people on the 360 (obviously while playing different games)?

Old 10-25-2011, 12:01 AM   #16
chaseter
Bland User

I think they will shoot to have a new console out for Christmas 2012...and I think they are going to push 3D games with it.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:20 AM   #17
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Did you mean Christmas 2013? 2012 is way too soon.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:46 PM   #18
Soapy
It's happening again...

This alleged timeline for upcoming Microsoft products leaked onto the web last month by a guy who has accurately reported other Microsoft leaks in the past.

Quote:
CES 2012
Win8 + WinStore beta
<ONM> CTP
Tango1 launch
MWC 2012
Tango2 SDK

MIX 2012
Win8 RC
<ONM> beta
Tango2 launch + Apollo announce
Kinect commercial SDK

E3 2012
Xbox SDK, 3G Kinect games announce
Apollo SDK
Win8 RTM

Aug 2012
Win8, <ONM>, WP8, Xbox Store launch

Build 2012
XAML+XDE platform
Win8 PU DP
<OSN> announce

CES 2013
Win8 PU Beta

MWC 2013
Apollo+1 teaser

MIX 2013
HTML platform (IE11)
Win8 PU RC
<OSN> Beta
Apollo+1 SDK

E3 2013
Xbox”loop” announce
Win8 PU RTM

Build 2013
Win9 DP
<OSN> RTM
Xbox”loop” launch

CES 2014
Win9 Beta

MWC 2014
WPN teaser

MIX 2014
Win9 RC
WPN SDK
Kinect SDK update

E3 2014
Kinect HP2 announce
Xbox PU announce

Build 2014
Win9 RTM (IE12)
Win9M RTM
<OSN+1> CTP
Xbox PU preview

Nov 2014
Win9, Win9M, Kinect HP2 launch
Xbox PU RTW

Of course Microsoft denied it was legit, and of course you you should take it with a grain of salt, but there are two things you should keep an eye on.

The first, is "Xbox Loop". If this list is for real, then that's going to be Microsoft's next console. Loop could be the internal code name, but whatever, the name doesn't matter. The second thing, is Commercial Kinect SDK at MIX 2012. Now here's the part that adds a bit of legitimacy to the timeline: Not two days ago, Microsoft announced they will be launching a Kinect commercial SDK in early 2012. MIX is going to be held in April, by the way.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:07 AM   #19
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/n...2-Reveal-.html

Quote:
Rumours regarding the reveal of Microsoft's next-generation of Xbox refuse to go away again this week, as French gaming site Xboxygen claims that Major Nelson is set to be involved in a special unveiling at CES 2012, finally lifting the lid on what may or may not be called 'Xbox Loop'.
But as GamePro notes, a full reveal seems somewhat unlikely at CES, with a larger, more high profile event in the gaming industry calendar like E3 or Gamescom being a more likely venue for Microsoft to show off its new console to the world for the first time.
It could be that instead, MS is offering a very hush-hush behind-closed-doors look at the new console, which according to VG247 is being developed by two separate camps. The 'Loop' division, which is handling the software aspects and the 'Infinity' team who is supposedly working on the hardware planning for the next Xbox.
Xboxygen's source says that strangely, the project began as far back as 2005 and that an announcement could be coming at CES 2012. Here's a translation of the main part of the rumour: "It also tells us that an announcement will be made at CES 2012. Not necessarily with a huge announcement of the first games already, but we should have some information on the new console, as [well as] some of its capabilities. CPU level, it would be a hexa-core with 2GB of DDR3, and our source also told us of a prototype dual-GPU AMD. We could not know the RAM."
Last week also saw rumours emerging that the so-called Xbox Loop could also use Windows 9, and could be cheaper and smaller than the Xbox 360. As ever, we'll believe it when we see it.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:56 AM   #20
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
  • new IPs
  • bigger HDD
  • ensuring that EVERY console has a HDD so developers don't have design games around the possibility that some people won't have one
  • better video card
  • more RAM
  • faster processor
  • higher poly models
  • higher resolution textures
  • better particle effects
  • better lighting
  • dynamic shadows
  • more elaborate AI routines

I'm just going to go ahead and stop there. Those are more than enough reasons to justify new consoles. I probably could have saved myself a few precious seconds by instead just saying, "new and better games", but oh well.
To that good list I would add;

• SSD hard drive so that reading and writing is as swift as can be.
  • SATA 3 support
  • USB 3 support
  • Blu Ray disk reader which is backwards compatible with existing Xbox 360 disks.

I got thrown out of a window! What's the f***ing charge for getting pushed out of a moving car, huh? Jaywalking?

My father gave me one piece of advice. He said "Always. .." No, he said "Never..." well actually he gave me two pieces of advice, I've forgotten the other one. But the important one is, "Never chase a man over a cliff".
Old 11-15-2011, 02:45 PM   #21
Kryptonian Warrior
We are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathlok View Post
To that good list I would add;

• SSD hard drive so that reading and writing is as swift as can be.
  • SATA 3 support
  • USB 3 support
  • Blu Ray disk reader which is backwards compatible with existing Xbox 360 disks.
I seriously doubt that they would include a Solid State HDD as they are just too expensive right now. I agree with the rest, but adding Blu Ray is a MUST, IMO. Even better, the dual layer Blu Ray that's on the horizon.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:59 PM   #22
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Sony has just started making a real profit off of the PS3. They are going to milk it for a few more years, I think. Plus, I don't think either Sony or Microsoft has the technology to warrant jumping ahead just yet. What can a new system really bring to the table? There is plenty of money to be made in the current gen and really no demand for a new system. They're laying down groundwork, which makes perfect sense but it will be some time before we see serious development.
I think the biggest hindrance will be third party publishers. With the Wii U coming out, publishers are going to want to put out the same versions of the same game on all three systems. Developing for the PlayStation 3 and Wii U is expensive, and making games for a new system that is more powerful is going to be even more expensive. Do you think that publishers are going to want to make two expensive versions of games? Hell no.

I don't think that third parties are going to want a new console. While developers like Crytek and Epic Games may want more power, the ones who are footing the bill think that there is still enough power to use.

Third party publishers are probably going to demand Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo to release their next consoles almost all at the same time as opposed to releasing them whenever the hell they want like Microsoft and Nintendo did this generation.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:20 AM   #23
Kingler

Well I have no real opinion on it, I'm perfectly satisfied with my box, its not the box I have problems with it's some of the games developed for my box that suck i.e black ops.

However when new news is out it's always nice to see whats in the works, New tech on the console is always cool to know

Last edited by Kingler; 11-17-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:18 AM   #24
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/n...-Dev-Kits.html

Quote:
Rumour: Ubisoft in Possession of Next-Gen Dev Kits
More next-generation console rumours have surface on the web again, still pointing towards new hardware in 2012. This time the rumours come courtesy of Edge, which reports that Ubisoft supposedly has Microsoft dev kits for the platform holder's next console.
These are apparently called 'target boxes', which are designed to emulate the system's potential specifications, with components provided by Microsoft, while actual development kits are expected to be in the hands of developers by the end of the year.
This could point to a 2012 launch for the Xbox 720, Xbox Loop, Xbox Infinity or whatever the hell you want to call it. Edge notes that Microsoft might once again be eager to get a headstart over the competition, and could be looking to beat the inevitable PlayStation 4 to the punch.
Rumours also emerged earlier this week that Microsoft might be looking to reveal the next Xbox at CES 2012 in January, but we reckon an event like E3 might be somewhere more fitting to reveal a next-generation console. All we can do in the meantime, is watch, wait and keep an eye on rumour control.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:30 AM   #25
jacobed
Banned User

There definitely won't be any new hardware in 2012. First shown in 2012 yeah absolutely but released no definitely not. My biggest reasoning for that is that Halo 4 is coming out on the 360 this fall. There is no way they'd release Halo 4 on the 360 this fall and then a month later release a brand new system.

Closed Thread