The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Microsoft

Old 06-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #26
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Default Re: Gears Of War: Judgment

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/n...to-Sweat-.html
Quote:
E3 2012: Gears of War: Judgment Preview – Prepare to Sweat!
Written Tuesday, June 19, 2012 By Dan Webb
View author's profile

“There is some DNA of our previous games in here,” said Adrian Chmielarz, People Can Fly’s Creative Director, the studio partnering with Epic Games for Gears of War: Judgment.

“From our perspective, we actually do not want to be the studio that is known [for being] all about dick-tits. This is slightly different,” Chmielarz remarks. “There is some DNA of our previous games in this, especially in the intensity of gameplay. We have more enemies on-screen and you basically have these crazy gameplay moments where you almost feel like you’ve lost control over what’s happening. Actually, you do lose control every now and then, and it’s just pure chaos, but that’s the beauty of war.”
That, my friends, is what you should expect from Gears of War: Judgment, the latest Gears of War game that tells the story of Baird, circa Emergence Day. The title is being developed by majority owned studio Epic studio, People Can Fly, in collaboration with Epic themselves and is currently scheduled for a 2013 release.
According to Chmielarz, the campaign mantra for Judgment is to make you “Fear the Locust again.” They intend to do that by upping the intensity of the combat and they do that in three different ways.

Firstly, there's the S3 system, which stands for Smart Spawn System - “A feature has to have a name,” chuckled Chmielarz – which takes the traditional formula of tying the difficulty level to how much health you have and how many bullets it takes to kill an enemy and flips it on its head. Judgment will analyse your performance and adapt to your play style instead.
Yes, casual mode is going to allow you to go through the motions if you want to see the story and just be a tourist, but every other difficulty level is set to challenge you. It’ll do that by offering up different scenarios at the same points throughout; so, say if you tackle a scenario a few ways and keep dying, just as you start to suss it out, it may mix it up and throw a new scenario at you, meaning you have to adapt to a new situation. On higher difficulties, new enemy types that you might not have faced on lower difficulty levels will be thrown at you, and so on. The result, according to Chmielarz, is a “sweaty palms campaign.”
“If this game doesn’t make you sweat, we haven’t done our jobs,” notes Epic’s Design Director, Cliff Bleszinski.
Secondly, there’s the classification system, which is simple but means there’ll be an incredible amount of replayability in Judgment. Simply put, on your first time through the game, the story provides testimony for the trial you saw in the debut trailer. After you’ve completed a section though, you’ll have unlocked a declassified version, meaning you can unlock parts of the story that were redacted on the first time through. You’ll even be forced to replay the mission in a completely different way too, meaning you’ll have a completely different experience.
And finally, there’s the revamped control scheme, which is a result of the more frantic and intense gameplay. It’s easier to do everything now, so instead of winding up and aiming a grenade, you can throw it on the fly with the tap of a button, and for instance, like in Bulletstorm, you can switch weapons with one button. “We were scared to do this,” remarked Chmielarz, “but once we tested it, it took us five minutes to realise it was the way to go”
For People Can Fly, the developer doesn’t want people to play it to learn what happens next, they want people to play it because they love the second-to-second gameplay.

People Can Fly isn’t just revamping the single-player formula for its stab at the series either. The studio is looking at doing the same with the multiplayer, and part of that is with the new class system in a mode called Overrun, which was one of the focuses of this year’s E3.
Overrun is a simplistic defend and attack game of sorts where two teams of 5 fight over a generator. It’s a two round game where the COGS have to defend the generator whilst the Locust destroys it. It’s then a case of switching teams and repeating. The winner is whoever can destroy the generator the fastest. It’s a little more in-depth than that, and it’s the first time you’ll see a class system as well as a proper human-controlled Locust team fighting off against human-controlled COGs.
Let us run you through the COG classes and Locust options:
COG
Engineer – The engineer can deploy temporary sentries to defend the generator whilst also repairing existing fortifications. Be careful though, because you can’t rebuild fortifications, once you lose it, it’s gone forever, so make sure you repair as much as possible. The engineer has a shotgun as standard.
Scout – The scout can climb into perches that only the scout can climb into. They are also equipped with a tagging beacon and any enemies tagged take on extra damage when hit.
Medic – The medic is arguably the most important of the four and is equipped with a stim gas grenade, which can heal teammates and help up downed allies. The medic has a Lancer as standard, so he’ll be just as efficient in combat.
Soldier – The soldier class, AKA, The Cole Train’s class, is the main firepower class and can help the team by tossing out ammo crates to the rest of the squad. Ammo is important in this mode, so the soldier will be as well.
Locust
The Locust earn points for the damage they inflict on COGs and defences alike, which they can then spend on bigger and more badass Locust. They are as follows:
Ticker – The Ticker by trade chomps defences and has its trademark ability to self-destruct. It also has the ability to dash really fast. Interestingly, you can combine the Ticker with the Grenadier for more efficient tactics i.e. a Ticker eats a Grenadier’s grenade, then the Grenadier can kick the Ticker at enemies and the grenade inside the Ticker can double the area of effect of the explosion.
Wretch – The Wretch is the only son of a ***** able to leap over defences and climb into scout’s perches. It can also stun enemies with its scream.
Grenadier – The grenadier, wait for it… can throw frag grenades. Get on a Bloodmount and you can toss them even faster!
Kantus – The Kantus is the Locust medic who can heal everyone in the immediate vicinity. Get him on a Bloodmount and his ability recharges faster.
Bloodmount – The Bloodmount, as you can work out, carries the Grenadier and Kantus. It can quicken the recharge abilities of its passengers.
Corpser – The spider-like creature has armoured front legs, making it hard to kill, and can even burrow under COG fortifications.
Serapede – This slimy beast attacks with its mandibles and can rear up and spit poison at distant enemies. It can only be killed, as Baird puts it, by shooting it in the butt.
Mauler – The hulking Mauler wields a giant shield and flail. It can also spin said shield and reflect COG fire. If any COG get too close when it’s spinning too, it can turn them into chopped liver.

The mantra of the mode, according to Bleszinski, is still to let players play their own way. If you want a team of soldiers, you can do that, but as it is with any Gears of War game, if you co-operate and synergise, you’ll be far better off.
Gears of War: Judgment was a lot of theory and not much substance at this year’s E3, with Epic and People Can Fly not being really all that ready to show off too much. However, the theory and reasoning behind a lot of proposed design decisions – from the campaign to the new class-based multiplayer mode – made perfect sense and actually intrigues us to see what the Polish developer can achieve with Epic’s stalwart franchise. We’ve always been big fans of what Chmielarz and his team in Warsaw can achieve when they’re given the reins – Bulletstorm was a good recent example – and with a fresh crew behind a franchise that’s been around nearly as long as the Xbox 360, it’ll be interesting to see what sort of life they can inject into the proceedings. Watch this space, methinks.
Gears of War: Judgment is scheduled for a 2013 release.
Edit: Go to the link for far easier reading.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:29 AM   #27
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

What I'd like is a Mod to delete your comment, thus keeping this thread spam free....

And mine too, if possible, since out of context it would make no sense :P

Old 06-24-2012, 07:06 AM   #28
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by keke007 View Post
Hey, would you guys want a brand NEW xbox 360 console for as little as 10?,or any other gadgets and xbox microsoft games for FREE!...then head on over to my channel for a complete FREE guide on how to claim yours!!!
Sure, ill click on your link and spend 10 whatevers to get a brand NEW xbox 360 and other gadgets.

Disclaimer: I know what that symbol meant, i just can't figure out how to type it, so i said whatevers.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #29
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

You could have just typed "pounds" lol. I like the sound of "whatevers" better though.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #30
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
You could have just typed "pounds" lol. I like the sound of "whatevers" better though.
Haha, yea i guess that would of been better.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:21 AM   #31
LuisTX85
Anti-Hero

Just now read the full Game Informer(just renewed my subscription after a few months)article and it really impressed&got me excited even much more than before(which I was already interested)!

Old 06-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #32
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Anything new?

Old 06-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #33
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/n...uary-2013.html

Quote:
Microsoft is planning a February 2013 release for Gears of War: Judgment, according to the latest rumours.
Apparently, although an exact European and North American release date has yet to be set in stone, the target month is Feb.
The news, from CVG "sources,” has been sidestepped in a statement from Microsoft. The official response was, "We have not made any announcements updating launch timing for Gears of War: Judgment beyond early 2013.
“Stay tuned for new details about Gears of War: Judgment to be revealed at San Diego Comic-Con, July 12-15."
Gears of War: Judgment is a collaboration between series creators Epic Games and Bulletstorm devs People Can Fly. A prequel to the main series, it follows the adventures of Damon Baird and Augustus 'Cole Train' Cole.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #34
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Yeah, to be honest, I thought as much. I reckon we'll end up getting it around late March, April

Old 06-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #35
Donut
Side-Kick

Also they would want time for the usual Gears Of War Beta I would think. Almost every game has had one

Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #36
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

The Gears 3 beta was a success I think. Early next year not really that far away now. This year's going so fast.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #37
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Yea the Gears 3 beta was great. They took a s**t trenches map and made it not s**t due to Beta complaints. THATS why you do a beta.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #38
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Shame you can only fix a handful of maps that way or games would be a lot better. At least you can get a handle on general gameplay and weapon balancing although I don't think it was ideal at launch.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #39
jacobed
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPat2280 View Post
Yea the Gears 3 beta was great. They took a s**t trenches map and made it not s**t due to Beta complaints. THATS why you do a beta.
Plus they took an overpowered retro lancer in the beta and made it just right in the actual game

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #40
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
Plus they took an overpowered retro lancer in the beta and made it just right in the actual game
That rifle is still wicked deadly. I dont remember it being any more powerful in the beta.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #41
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

I think it was toned down but still deadly. Bit too deadly for my liking! i'd rather use lancer/gnasher but it seems everyone has a retro and the one weapon you need when someone is defensively retroing you is a retro of your own.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #42
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Old but don't know if you guys have seen this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QioPGfGa2g0

Overrun mode looks a lot of fun. The campaign looks a bit different too being made by a different company. Looking forward to seeing more.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #43
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

http://www.oxm.co.uk/44603/gears-jud...ve-screenshot/

Free for all mode! Great for when you don't have a party to play with.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #44
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Really not happy they are including that. Now even LESS people will be on Exc, KoTH, Wzn and other team centered game types.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:41 AM   #45
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

True, although they really have way too many modes as it is. If they take out DBS (& maybe retro) in Judgment there will be no need for classic modes like Alpha & Zeta. Also if they could sort out the situation with the DLC maps there wouldn't need to be DLC playlists.

Execution, Warzone, TDM, Guardian, KOTH, Wingman & FFA. Ranked & Quick versions of each. That's way more than enough. I guess Overrun need to fit in there somewhere too although it's more like a Horde/Beast thing when one team isn't playing as humanoid characters.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #46
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/n...d-in-Vids.html

FFA MP gameplay videos

Old 10-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #47
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Overrun mode is a lot more fun than it sounds. Could see myself playing this a bit. Otherwise the game seems very similar to Gears 3 although looking sharper. The class system makes for quite a difference to previous Gears.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #48
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

How do you guys feel about the Gears franchise going forwards without Cliff Bleszkinski OR Rod Fergusson?

Old 11-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #49
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvieboy17 View Post
How do you guys feel about the Gears franchise going forwards without Cliff Bleszkinski OR Rod Fergusson?
I'm optimistic. Those guys have created a great trilogy and told the story they wanted to tell. A fresh new perspective might mean improvements in some areas that would otherwise never get improved and they have the template (& coding) of the past 3 games to hep them reach the required quality. 343 seem to be doing a good job post Bungie so it's certainly possible. The things I read on PCF's approach on the Epic forums also suggest good things.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #50
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

http://www.nowgamer.com/xbox-360/xbo...ge_series.html

No "Down But Not Out" in Gears Judgment! That's gonna be weird.