Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #101
Matt
We Are Hunter Rider!
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Game of Thrones - HBO part 2 - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey-Bat View Post
Renly was better at uniting people but not ruling them. He has all of Robert's flaws, he's too trusting and accepting of people. Had he ruled, he would have had people plotting his downfall just like Robert. TV and Book Renly are different, book Renly was much more arrogant. He also never agreed with Cat to an alliance with Robb, he thought he could take King's Landing on his own and implied he would wage war on the North if Robb didn't bend the knee to him.

There is no perfect candidate for king. Stannis would survive longer because he wouldn't put his trust in people who don't deserve it. One of the things Stannis says in the books is that Robert should have scoured his court clean when he took the throne, namely getting rid of Varys and Pycelle. Stannis is the epitome of Lawful Neutral. He may be harsh but he is always just. He's also the only king who knows his title includes "Protector of the Realm."

The Targaryens were defeated and exiled from Westeros, so Stannis is the rightful king.
So if Renly killed Stannis (or even just exiled him) before he was assassinated in an act of fratricide, then Renly would be the rightful king in your eyes?

As for your assessment of Renly, it seems like a whole lot relies on the book. I agree, based on AGOT and the half of ACOK that I read, Renly would make a weak king, but I see the two as different mediums. In terms of what we saw on the show, Renly had very few of his book counterparts negative character traits (which I'd even argue you are exaggerating just a bit, Renly clearly knew how to play the game better than Robert). TV Renly would definitely make the superior king to TV Stannis, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
He has a legitimate claim, and Joffrey isn't Robert's son. His brother tried to usurp his throne. Going by Medieval rules, he's really done nothing wrong.
Robert named Joffrey his heir on his deathbed. So Joffrey did not inheirit the throne simply by terms of being Robert's next of kin, but also by Robert's decree. Does it really matter if he is not of his blood? It was Robert's order for Joffrey to take his throne. I'd argue that if we're going strictly by terms of Robert's heir, Joffrey has the most valid claim, not Stannis.

Last edited by Matt; 06-05-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #102
dru-zod2501
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
And with that Dani got cool again. She was so annoying this season but the finale redeemed her. It was so good to see Khal again and loved her dragons breathing fire and freeing her She wlaked into the castle like a boss and took charge. Loved it
Baby fire geckos are cute & whatnot, but IMHO one episode doesn't balance the character's seemingly unending stagnation. If I was judging her solely on her attitude she'd probably be among my favorites, but all that energy is still wielded aimlessly and clumsily.

If anything I've been getting more concerned about her future based on her attitudes this season. The Iron Throne is being contested among heretics, despots, narcissists & psychopaths. At first I thought Dany could become a decent option because she's so far removed from the corruption in King's Landing, but in the last half of the season, now I see her as just that little girl with a chip on her shoulder trying to prove she's less immature & nave than she really is. If she ever gets around to reclaiming Westeros it'll be for herself, not for her "people." What little hope I might've had for her is dimmed low this season.

Or maybe I'm the nave one for having faith that there can be such a thing as a "good" king in their world where nice guys don't just finish last, they finish dead.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #103
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
So if Renly killed Stannis (or even just exiled him) before he was assassinated in an act of fratricide, then Renly would be the rightful king in your eyes?

As for your assessment of Renly, it seems like a whole lot relies on the book. I agree, based on AGOT and the half of ACOK that I read, Renly would make a weak king, but I see the two as different mediums. In terms of what we saw on the show, Renly had very few of his book counterparts negative character traits (which I'd even argue you are exaggerating just a bit, Renly clearly knew how to play the game better than Robert). TV Renly would definitely make the superior king to TV Stannis, IMO.

Robert named Joffrey his heir on his deathbed. So Joffrey did not inheirit the throne simply by terms of being Robert's next of kin, but also by Robert's decree. Does it really matter if he is not of his blood? It was Robert's order for Joffrey to take his throne. I'd argue that if we're going strictly by terms of Robert's heir, Joffrey has the most valid claim, not Stannis.
Yes. Since he's not a Baratheon. You can't just name someone your heir. It's difficult to claim an illegitimate child as your rightful heir. Someone completely unrelated who is a product of incest? Impossible.

Joffrey knows this, that's why he had all of Robert's suspected bastards killed.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #104
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru-zod2501 View Post
Baby fire geckos are cute & whatnot, but IMHO one episode doesn't balance the character's seemingly unending stagnation. If I was judging her solely on her attitude she'd probably be among my favorites, but all that energy is still wielded aimlessly and clumsily.

If anything I've been getting more concerned about her future based on her attitudes this season. The Iron Throne is being contested among heretics, despots, narcissists & psychopaths. At first I thought Dany could become a decent option because she's so far removed from the corruption in King's Landing, but in the last half of the season, now I see her as just that little girl with a chip on her shoulder trying to prove she's less immature & nave than she really is. If she ever gets around to reclaiming Westeros it'll be for herself, not for her "people." What little hope I might've had for her is dimmed low this season.

Or maybe I'm the nave one for having faith that there can be such a thing as a "good" king in their world where nice guys don't just finish last, they finish dead.
Most real-life monarchs came to power because they were the most cunning despots. Then they started claiming divine right to have some kind of moral legitimacy (didn't always work, look at what happened to the Tsar). The idea of kings being noble, is a relatively new, Romantic concept. Most kings were no different from say a contemporary dictator like Kim Jong-il (well, he's dead now, but best example off the top of my head).

There really is no such thing as a good king, since it's like saying "he's a caring despot". Though some are less vicious than others.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #105
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poeman View Post
I recall Stark was the one who broke through and was going to sit on the chair first, but he gave it up to Robert for the cause
Is it true that Robert wasn't always fat and actually was a great warrior too before he became King?

And how does Robert's only living bastard Gentry figure into the throne, since he is actually Robert's son and escaped murder?

Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #106
omid17
Side-Kick

love the scenes with Jamie and Brienne hope to see them together next season

and did they really have to show Tywins horse taking a dookie! lol

avy by kane52630
Old 06-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #107
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
Eddard Stark would have been a honorable king, who also would have commanded his people's respect.

I recall Stark was the one who broke through and was going to sit on the chair first, but he gave it up to Robert for the cause
As we know, Ned doesn't have the political savvy to survive in King's Landing.

He arrived at the throne room first after Tywin sacked the city, but he never wanted the Iron Throne. He only claimed it for Robert because he had the stronger claim as his grandmother was a Targaryen (and the Baratheons were originally founded by Aegon the Conqueror's half-brother).

Quote:
Targareyans commanded respect...The path of Stannis looks alot like the Mad King.
If anyone is like the Mad King, it's Daenerys. Stannis is harsh but always just.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
If Renly killed Stannis, he would be guilty of murder and treason and should be executed for it. He didn't have the authority to exile Stannis before taking the Throne.

Quote:
The way I see it, TV Renly is still book Renly, just puts on more of a facade. Renly thought he knew how to play the game. He thought all he needed was the larger army which is why he buddied up with the Tyrells.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #108
omid17
Side-Kick

no wonder Stannis wasn't too happy with the Tyrells i forgot he took off after Renlys death

avy by kane52630
Old 06-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #109
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

The Tyrells fought against the Baratheons in Robert's Rebellion. They were the ones who sieged Storm's End for over a year whilst Stannis held it. So he has no love for them at all and seeing his own brother ally with them angered him even more.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #110
omid17
Side-Kick

avy by kane52630
Old 06-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #111
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Quote:
Originally Posted by omid17 View Post
...and did they really have to show Tywins horse taking a dookie! lol
I thought they could have cut that out as well haha

Old 06-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #112
Poeman
Banned User

Its a pun to how a lannister s hits gold I think

Old 06-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #113
omid17
Side-Kick

that Lannister gaurd cracked me up when they were talking about Loras

"Loras Tyrell? He's prettier than the queen" lol

avy by kane52630
Old 06-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #114
Poeman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
Is it true that Robert wasn't always fat and actually was a great warrior too before he became King?

And how does Robert's only living bastard Gentry figure into the throne, since he is actually Robert's son and escaped murder?
Oh yeah...A perfect comparison is Robert was a legend of battle...He was essentially Thor. He had a hammer he swung and blasted peoples skulls

Old 06-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #115
omid17
Side-Kick

that's pretty bad ass, shame how he ended up getting hurt goin huntin

avy by kane52630
Old 06-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #116
Speedball
Don't. Blink.

I do want to see Dany return to Westeros and reclaim the throne for the Targaryens though.
Out of all the people left vying for the crown, she is the one who would not send Westeros into a dark age.
She doesn't have a rightful claim to the throne, but that really doesn't matter. In Chronicles of Riddick there's a saying throughout the whole thing: "You keep what you kill.", and that is certainly true in the GoT universe.

It is interesting to see that she can be ruthless already. You don't see it until third book, but her locking Xaro and Doreah in the vault brought it out in her early, and we'll be seeing more of it. Dany's story in the third book definitely picks up, so it's something to look forward to.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #117
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

Quote:
that's pretty bad ass, shame how he ended up getting hurt goin huntin
It's because after he became King he didn't care about Westeros, he only cared about getting drunk and banging whores.

Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #118
Speedball
Don't. Blink.

Quote:
It's because after he became King he didn't care about Westeros, he only cared about getting drunk and banging whores.
It's true. His small council ruled Westeros. How do you think he could take 2 months to go visit Winterfell?

Old 06-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #119
omid17
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedball View Post
I do want to see Dany return to Westeros and reclaim the throne for the Targaryens though.
Out of all the people left vying for the crown, she is the one who would not send Westeros into a dark age.
She doesn't have a rightful claim to the throne, but that really doesn't matter. In Chronicles of Riddick there's a saying throughout the whole thing: "You keep what you kill.", and that is certainly true in the GoT universe.

It is interesting to see that she can be ruthless already. You don't see it until third book, but her locking Xaro and Doreah in the vault brought it out in her early, and we'll be seeing more of it. Dany's story in the third book definitely picks up, so it's something to look forward to.

Quote:
Quote:
It's true. His small council ruled Westeros. How do you think he could take 2 months to go visit Winterfell?
soo true

avy by kane52630
Old 06-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #120
omid17
Side-Kick

Sansa's story doesm't seem to be going anywhere

avy by kane52630
Old 06-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #121
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
It will now that Littlefinger is back in King's Landing.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #122
Speedball
Don't. Blink.

Quote:
Is it cool if I allude to things?

It gets more interesting for her. Now that Joffrey isn't going to marry her, her life is more threatened than ever. Her political importance to people wanes, which puts her in a very dangerous situation in King's Landing.

She's no longer the future Queen, but a hostage that can be bartered. But there are people in King's Landing that want to protect her, not because she's a Stark, but because they feel sorry for her.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #123
omid17
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey-Bat View Post
It will now that Littlefinger is back in King's Landing.
Quote:
Is it cool if I allude to things?

It gets more interesting for her. Now that Joffrey isn't going to marry her, her life is more threatened than ever. Her political importance to people wanes, which puts her in a very dangerous situation in King's Landing.

She's no longer the future Queen, but a hostage that can be bartered. But there are people in King's Landing that want to protect her, not because she's a Stark, but because they feel sorry for her.
nice pretty much a repeat of this season lol

so why didn't Arya go to Bravos? i mean is the "hit-list" for real or what

avy by kane52630
Old 06-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #124
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
He has a legitimate claim, and Joffrey isn't Robert's son. His brother tried to usurp his throne. Going by Medieval rules, he's really done nothing wrong.
Except, well... kin slaying.

Quote:
nice pretty much a repeat of this season lol
Well, there's probably more urgency for her to escape now where as before, it was smarter for her to stay put. Her brother had Jaime and she was to be the future Queen. Meaning, that despite the abuse she received, she was relatively safe (at least, until she flowered). Attempting to escape would have forfeited any protection she had.

Quote:
so why didn't Arya go to Bravos? i mean is the "hit-list" for real or what
Well, Bravos is quite some distance away and there is a major war going on. Plus, not many people from Bravos roaming around Westeros.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:22 PM   #125
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
Except, well... kin slaying.
If your younger brother tries to usurp your birthright you're allowed to (and expected to) kill him. The only thing odd is that Stannis didn't kill every Stormland lord who betrayed him by supporting his younger brother's claim. He even says this. Maybe he'll do it when he's king.

Closed Thread