The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > The Avengers World

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #926
OB12
Side-Kick

Default Re: Avengers Assemble! Animated Show - Part 1

OK, so I watched the two-part premier over the weekend and overall I think this is an average-ish effort and it left me feeling a little bit weird. It feels sorta like a quasi-sequel to EMH while also being heavily influenced by the movies. I get that this is probably what they are going for but it comes off a little strange.

Plot: Simplistic. Nothing overly complicated and it doesn't feel like there is some grand arc with possible twists. I think what the Red Skull is trying to set up could be cool but seems like it was handled more intelligently in Young Justice.

Characters: The only one I really liked was Hawkeye. The rest seemed to be either annoying (IM/Falcon) or fall flat (Thor/Black Widow).

Animation: I don't get where people are thinking the animation is good in this. It looks cheap frankly and the movements are not really that fluid. Plus the mashup between CGI backgrounds and animated characters is pretty noticeable.

The positive here is that it didn't go for the stupid slapstick comedy of USM. I'll keep watching to see if it improves.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #927
bigdaddy313
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OB12 View Post
OK, so I watched the two-part premier over the weekend and overall I think this is an average-ish effort and it left me feeling a little bit weird. It feels sorta like a quasi-sequel to EMH while also being heavily influenced by the movies. I get that this is probably what they are going for but it comes off a little strange.

Plot: Simplistic. Nothing overly complicated and it doesn't feel like there is some grand arc with possible twists. I think what the Red Skull is trying to set up could be cool but seems like it was handled more intelligently in Young Justice.

Characters: The only one I really liked was Hawkeye. The rest seemed to be either annoying (IM/Falcon) or fall flat (Thor/Black Widow).

Animation: I don't get where people are thinking the animation is good in this. It looks cheap frankly and the movements are not really that fluid. Plus the mashup between CGI backgrounds and animated characters is pretty noticeable.

The positive here is that it didn't go for the stupid slapstick comedy of USM. I'll keep watching to see if it improves.
Thank you half finished product that is not as good as even ultimate spider-man and the up coming hulk and the agent of smash.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #928
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Hawkeye is the coolest member.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #929
Aztec
Side-Kick

Well overall I rather liked it. Clearly they are using the films as canon and building in their own direction from there. I liked the action, animation, the respect for the films, and the use of Red Skull.

I didn't like the rushed characters (but again they are working with the assumption that you know everyone...and they wanted an action packed first episode) and that Tony was the undisputed leader. Cap is the leader of The Avengers period. Tony is the facilitator, but Cap is the leader. Anything else is heresy.

Carrie/Machete Order: 4 films..Best Narrative Structure Possible
Search your feelings. You know it to be true.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #930
Frico
Rollins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Hawkeye is the coolest member.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier/Guardians of the Galaxy/Avengers 2: Age of Ultron

"Defeat is a state of mind; no one is ever defeated until defeat has been accepted as a reality." - Bruce Lee

Old 05-28-2013, 11:24 PM   #931
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Fury is right.

- CM Punk
Old 05-29-2013, 12:39 AM   #932
kedrell
Aacha,cha,cha&InkaDinkaDo

Ok, I saw this a few minutes ago. Hmmm.......well at least it's not a total cluster**** like USM is. There were some things to like here. But on the whole I'd say there are about as many things to dislike. This doesn't begin to touch A:EMH and even that show took an episode or two to get used to. I'm hopeful that there's room to grow with this show. A:EMH seemed like it was made by comic book fans for comic book fans. This show seems like it's made by people who may be fans but they only have been since TA came out and they are selling it to others like them with just a few bones tossed towards the comic fans(like Hulk having a personality as he did in A:EMH) to keep them happy.

As a series kickoff I'll give this 2-parter a 6/10. Hope it gets better from here.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:10 AM   #933
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Well I saw the 2nd HALF of the 2 shows. wasn't all THAT horrible

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Old 05-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #934
kedrell

No, it's not. USM is way worse.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #935
Spider-Aziz
CAAAAKKEEE

This show is better than USM (except in animation, USM is easily better there), but USM isn't worse than mediocre

Old 05-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #936
Panthro
Goodbye Mr. Ramis...

Just watched the first two episodes, kept my expectations low in light of the mixed-to-negative reactions the show has generated. Speaking for myself and only for myself (and not the good fan community of Baltimore, MD) I would say this two part debut was...okay. Thoughts -

1) The voice actors all did a reasonably good job with what they were given - and to be fair they all had a few clunky lines. I don't even mind Adrian Pasdar as Iron Man/Tony Stark, even though I prefer Robert Hays (90s series; for nostalgiac reasons), Marc Worden (Ultimate Avengers 1 & 2, Invincible Iron Man, Planet Hulk) and even Matthew Mercer (Rise of the Technovore). Kind of funny that we have yet another former Hulk voice actor, Travis Willingham of Superhero Squad, voicing Thor (as he did for USM); Rick Wasserman, EMH's Thor, had previously voiced Hulk for "Planet Hulk" (now all we need is to have Fred Tatasciore voice Thor). Hearing Liam O'Brien as Red Skull I kept picturing his Nightcrawler from W&TXM in a recording booth saying the Red Skull's lines with a voice director telling him to "be more evil".

2) The animation gets the job done, but going back & forth from regular screen to wide screen and comic book panel screens wasn't really necessary. I must say though Black Widow's new design is much more fetching than her EMH design.

3) I can live with Iron Man as the leader (if I were a Marvel character I would definitely rather follow him than Wolverine ) but Iron Man's characterization was a bit off as his IQ went up and down like a seesaw. The other characterizations were fine but seem to be coasting on the audience already having a pre-established knowledge of who these characters are and how they relate to each other in order to go for the "hit the ground running" approach (what Mad Slasher called the "hyperkinetic pacing"), much like Wolverine & the X-Men and Young Justice (in YJ's case more the JLA than the younger heroes, which is why the JLA heroes had little to no real characterization or depth, but that's for the DC animation board). Some shows and movies can get away with that approach, others not so much. Personally I'm finding it's an approach I don't really care for and would've preferred the 2-part pilot slowing it down a bit.

4) Red Skull & MODOK stealing Iron Man's armor in that fashion probably shouldn't work in light of how the armor operates, but the shot of them ripping the arc reactor out of Tony's chest was pretty chilling.

5) It would have been cooler to hear Roger Craig Smith play Red Skull in his Cap voice with Liam O'Brien voicing Cap in his Red Skull voice as opposed to swapping the voices with the bodies.

Overall... I'd say I'm neutral towards this new series for right now. Don't love it, don't hate it, but need to see more episodes before I can truly judge it as a its own entity.

New 52 Flash SUCKS
Old 05-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #937
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

I thought this was coming out next week. I guess I need to check it out.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #938
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

The show is OK but quite a bit behind EMH.

Making Stark into that kind of leader is understandable in one way but it really takes something away from Cap in my eyes, so I'm not fond of the decision. I don't care for Hulk in this either as he's just being an obnoxious bully. He doesn't feel like the scary monster, nor does he have any charm to him.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #939
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

I watched the 2part premier last night. While it wasn't totally crap, compared to the epicness of Breakout1and2 of EMH premier you can't even compare.

ripping the arc reactor out of Iron Man's chest was easily the coolest moment of the premier for me.

I thought the animation would be way better..But Hulk looks better than I thought he would and Falcon's suit looks cool.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:28 AM   #940
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Let's face it, Iron Man is a better leader. He was the original founder and leader of the Avengers. He beat Captain America during Civil War. All evidence points to Stark being the superior leader.

- CM Punk
Old 05-30-2013, 03:52 AM   #941
kedrell

Well if they hadn't made Cap act out of character just to further the plot of CW then it'd be a moot point. Seriously, since when is Captain America against accountability?

Old 05-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #942
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

What makes them split up? I still haven't seen the 1st episode (don't forget to use Spoiler tags)

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Old 05-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #943
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

The show doesn't have a memorable theme song like "Fight as one" for A:EMH.

Nominate your favourite Movie theme of all time for the upcoming tournament: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=469413
Old 05-30-2013, 01:46 PM   #944
Spider-Aziz
CAAAAKKEEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
What makes them split up? I still haven't seen the 1st episode (don't forget to use Spoiler tags)
I saw Hawkeye saying to the warring Hulk & Thor jumping out of the quinjet heading to rescue Cap: "This is why we split up"
Or something like that
I didn't see the second episode

Old 05-31-2013, 12:52 AM   #945
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

What did people like about this because I felt it was so cheesey and cliche it made me cringe? I simply couldn't enjoy it, and I really wanted to.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:26 AM   #946
Spider-Aziz
CAAAAKKEEE

Doom joining the Masters of Evil (if he will do so) is another mark pointing at this showing having its own continuity

Thor whining about Asgard and the new shack says it too

I don't know why I find points against their statement saying this is their official continuation of EMH, there are too many in those two episodes alone
Wonder if they will handle the possible story of Galactus and people from 42 escaping prison

Old 05-31-2013, 06:52 AM   #947
THUNDERSTRIKE
HYPNOTIC PSYCHOTIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
Doom joining the Masters of Evil (if he will do so) is another mark pointing at this showing having its own continuity

Thor whining about Asgard and the new shack says it too

I don't know why I find points against their statement saying this is their official continuation of EMH, there are too many in those two episodes alone
Wonder if they will handle the possible story of Galactus and people from 42 escaping prison

betcha not... nor the Surtur storyline...

Old 05-31-2013, 06:57 AM   #948
Spider-Aziz
CAAAAKKEEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUNDERSTRIKE View Post
betcha not... nor the Surtur storyline...
I forgot about Surtur
I still want to see how the EMH crew handle the rest of that story

Old 05-31-2013, 07:09 AM   #949
Norrin Parker
Majestor of the Shi'ar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Let's face it, Iron Man is a better leader. He was the original founder and leader of the Avengers. He beat Captain America during Civil War. All evidence points to Stark being the superior leader.
This is just so horribly untrue. You are basing this off CW alone when years and years of storylines say otherwise. Tony made nothing but bad decisions during Civil War.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:55 AM   #950
Spider-Aziz
CAAAAKKEEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicCap View Post
This is just so horribly untrue. You are basing this off CW alone when years and years of storylines say otherwise. Tony made nothing but bad decisions during Civil War.
Avengers leadership is done by rotation
It's not like this is an X-Men cartoon and they made Rogue the field team leader

Closed Thread