The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Justice League > Justice League Parts One & Two

Old 06-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #26
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Default Re: The Official Justice League Director Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
I wasn't basing my opinion on his interviews, I was basing it on his films that I've seen.

Michael Bay calls that into question.

Here's the thing: To me, he seems incredibly shallow. He seems to want to do things because they are cool without thinking about how it fits together in the overall film, how it effects the tone, or what it actually communicates to the audience. A major example is the soundtrack to Watchmen. All great songs, if it were a mix tape I would happily keep it in my car, but a lot of the musical segments seemed silly and out of place in the context of the film, at least to me. He didn't change a lot from the source material, but the things he did change said, to me, that he didn't really get what was important in the story. He completely changed the context and, by extension, the meaning of "nothing ever ends," which is arguably the most important thing in Watchmen which the themes and entire story hinge on. I get the feeling he didn't keep it the way it was because it was "just a line" and "could be said by anybody," and wasn't as important as the spectacle scenes like Dr. M in Vietnam. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how he comes off to me.

And Suckerpunch, which he had complete creative control over, was a very stupid movie.

I don't hate the guy, and I really like 300, but I just don't think he's a very smart director. And I think a JLA movie needs smart. Or at least, I'd prefer it.
I'm just gonna have to agree to disagree here.

Everything you've just said, I feel the exact opposite about pretty much.

But then plenty of people call Buffy stupid. Plenty of people call comics stupid. And it's more about taste and interpretation than it is about actual intelligence level IMO.

P.S. Just because Michael Bay's movies aren't in any way trying to be intelligent, doesn't mean the man is stupid...

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #27
solidsnake86
Side-Kick

Bryan Singer.....

solidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #28
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Well, at least there's no pre-existing Justice League film for him to homage to the point of basically making a remake.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
The Question is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #29
youkaisama
Alien from Uranus

Quote:
Here's the thing: To me, he seems incredibly shallow. He seems to want to do things because they are cool without thinking about how it fits together in the overall film, how it effects the tone, or what it actually communicates to the audience. A major example is the soundtrack to Watchmen. All great songs, if it were a mix tape I would happily keep it in my car, but a lot of the musical segments seemed silly and out of place in the context of the film, at least to me. He didn't change a lot from the source material, but the things he did change said, to me, that he didn't really get what was important in the story. He completely changed the context and, by extension, the meaning of "nothing ever ends," which is arguably the most important thing in Watchmen which the themes and entire story hinge on. I get the feeling he didn't keep it the way it was because it was "just a line" and "could be said by anybody," and wasn't as important as the spectacle scenes like Dr. M in Vietnam. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how he comes off to me.

And Suckerpunch, which he had complete creative control over, was a very stupid movie.

I don't hate the guy, and I really like 300, but I just don't think he's a very smart director. And I think a JLA movie needs smart. Or at least, I'd prefer it.
I agree with The Question, and that's why part of me is really worried how Man of Steel will turn out to be.

Imo, Snyder didn't really understand Watchmen, and you can see that how he drew out the sex scene, and went over the top with the violence in the film, changed the name Minutemen to Watchmen in the movie, and the changed ending, just some of the points. It totally blows the realism and subtlety of Watchmen out of the water.
(To avoid argument, yes, Dr. Manhattan had super powers, but the reaction of the people and society around him was grounded in realism).

I could ramble on about Watchmen, but that make this post off-topic.

Thing is, I feel like the only reason Watchmen and 300 were watchable because the source materials were exceptional.

So yeah, I wouldn't want to pick Snyder as director.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:21 PM   #30
cabel
Side-Kick

Edgar Wright

cabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #31
solidsnake86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well, at least there's no pre-existing Justice League film for him to homage to the point of basically making a remake.
True, still think x-2 is the best team film.

solidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:40 PM   #32
TheScarecrow
Side-Kick

Quote:
Brad Bird.
ABSOLUTELY. Sign him up. Best suggestion I've heard.

TheScarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:53 PM   #33
DoomsdayApex
∆zrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScarecrow View Post
ABSOLUTELY. Sign him up. Best suggestion I've heard.
He'll be too busy.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ĎBatman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
DoomsdayApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #34
TheScarecrow
Side-Kick

It sounds like a cop-out choice, but what about David Yates? He's clearly got a good working relationship with WB and his later Harry Potter movies show someone who has clearly got a grip on how to make a blockbuster. His action sequences become extraordinary, the last three HP's were absolutely gorgeous to look at and he's very good at striking a tone between fun and serious that I think WB will be aiming for with this.

TheScarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:22 AM   #35
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Moderator

Well, I said it in another thread, but I just want to echo the sentiment of Brad Bird. There's just no better option, imo. And as for him being too busy for it, we don't even know when this thing is happening yet (I mean, so far they don't even have a first draft of a script), so I don't think that's a certainty at this point.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:44 AM   #36
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

ghost protocol was amazing tbqh

Make mine DC, if you please.

every1 says im 2 aloof but idc
RoughNTumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:47 AM   #37
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

What we need is a director with a real visual flair. But we also need some great writers, because JLA needs to have more than heart. It needs to have some depth, it needs to use concepts such as justice, truth, trust, and it needs to inspire people the way Dc characters can inspire us.

Share your ps4 videos
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...1#post30079049
Naked Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #38
Mikelus
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
I'm just gonna have to agree to disagree here.

Everything you've just said, I feel the exact opposite about pretty much.

But then plenty of people call Buffy stupid. Plenty of people call comics stupid. And it's more about taste and interpretation than it is about actual intelligence level IMO.

P.S. Just because Michael Bay's movies aren't in any way trying to be intelligent, doesn't mean the man is stupid...
Exactly, most people think comics are for kids, that's just silly stuff, etc. And Bay is a cynic, he gives the masses what they want.

If MOS is a success, Snyder would be a good choice, but Brad Bird is more talented, he's the right man for the job: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Bird

Mikelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #39
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake86 View Post
True, still think x-2 is the best team film.
Gotta disagree here. x2 was not a team film is was Wolverine and the X-men. Avengers pretty much wiped the floor with X2 with respect to how it treated the individual characters.

Having said that, Singer is a good director and it wasn't his fault X2 went that way. That was more Lauren Shuler Donner that force X-men in to a Wolverine franchise.

"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V
Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #40
DoomsdayApex
∆zrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Yeah, people give Snyder way too much guff. I like the guy and he's a very good director (Sucker Punch sucked but it felt like an awesome music video).

Old 06-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #41
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Brad Bird X 10

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #42
DoomsdayApex
∆zrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Gotta disagree here. x2 was not a team film is was Wolverine and the X-men. Avengers pretty much wiped the floor with X2 with respect to how it treated the individual characters.

Having said that, Singer is a good director and it wasn't his fault X2 went that way. That was more Lauren Shuler Donner that force X-men in to a Wolverine franchise.
I view it this way, The Avengers definitely had the better character moments/interactions and action set-pieces by a landslide but X2 is the more well-rounded film overall.

(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Quote:

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ĎBatman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Old 06-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #43
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
I view it this way, The Avengers definitely had the better character moments/interactions and action set-pieces by a landslide but X2 is the more well-rounded film overall.
I'm not sure what you mean by "well-rounded". X2 was a good film, although a bit overrated by most, and I thought so at the time when people were already marking it the best in the genre, when I didn't feel it was as good as the first Spider-man.

To me you had gross mishandling of the characters in that film. Other than Striker and Logan everyone is fumbling around in that movie. Heck they didn't even do Xavier justice in that movie, after the first movie where he spends the critical moments in a coma, in this one he spends 2/3 of it in a hallucination trying to kill off the mutants. It was enjoyable at the time, when I look back at it all I see are flaws.

"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V
Old 06-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #44
DoomsdayApex
∆zrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "well-rounded". X2 was a good film, although a bit overrated by most, and I thought so at the time when people were already marking it the best in the genre, when I didn't feel it was as good as the first Spider-man.

To me you had gross mishandling of the characters in that film. Other than Striker and Logan everyone is fumbling around in that movie. Heck they didn't even do Xavier justice in that movie, after the first movie where he spends the critical moments in a coma, in this one he spends 2/3 of it in a hallucination trying to kill off the mutants. It was enjoyable at the time, when I look back at it all I see are flaws.
Eh, The Avengers has it's big flaws as well. There were some things that X2 did way better than The Avengers. For example, Coulson's death had no impact on me (and I still question as to why the heroes would rally behind his death), yet Grey's death had the opposite effect on me. Jean's death was truly crushing to the team and audience.

X2 has it's flaws too (no doubt), especially when arriving to the characters and how they were handled, but I found the story and climax to be more engaging than The Avengers.

(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by DoomsdayApex; 06-07-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #45
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Eh, The Avengers has it's big flaws as well. There were some things that X2 did way better than The Avengers. For example, Coulson's death had no impact on me (and I still question as to why the heroes would rally behind his death), yet Grey's death had the opposite effect on me. Jean's death was truly crushing to the team and audience.

X2 has it's flaws too (no doubt), especially when arriving to the characters and how they were handled, but I found the story and climax to be more engaging than The Avengers.
Every movie has flaws, they're made buy humans.

What I was getting at is that Avengers I feel is the better ensemble film. Although it's all subjective.

- Ultron V
Old 06-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #46
DoomsdayApex
∆zrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Every movie has flaws, they're made buy humans.

What I was getting at is that Avengers I feel is the better ensemble film. Although it's all subjective.
That I agree with.

(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Old 06-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #47
mat-chow
Side-Kick

1. Peter Jackson
2. Peter Jackson
3. Peter Jackson

Bird and Cuaron are both great choices as well. Would Jackson be too close to a LOTR ensemble type film? I don't know, it seems safe yet f-ing perfect to me.

mat-chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #48
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:

Weird... for me it's the other way round. I've cried at Coulson's death every time, but Jean's death in X2 has never made me shed a tear. And I cry at most things.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #49
Reel
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Duncan Jones, Matt Reeves, David Yates, Darren Aranofsky

Reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #50
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
(and I still question as to why the heroes would rally behind his death)
Because he was someone they knew personally who died.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
The Question is offline   Reply With Quote