The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: Actors from Original trilogy returning for a possible Days of Future past?
Ellen Page as Shadowcat 67 41.36%
Hugh Jackman as Wolverine 105 64.81%
Halle Berry as Storm 56 34.57%
Anna Paquin as Rogue 55 33.95%
James Marsden as Cyclops 82 50.62%
Ben Foster as Angel 28 17.28%
Kelsey Grammer as Beast 46 28.40%
Alan Cumming as Nightcrawler 49 30.25%
Shawn Ashmore as Iceman 48 29.63%
Famke Janssen as Jean Grey 64 39.51%
Taylor Kitsch as Gambit 39 24.07%
Daniel Cudmore as Colossus 44 27.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #351
Project862006
Banned User

Default Re: Actors from original trilogy on First Class sequel with Days of Future Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingDee View Post
Totally disagree with everything you wrote.

To suggest that Halle Berry is a bigger star than Jennifer Lawrence is patently ridiculous. Berry may have better name recognition at the moment but that's not what matters in Hollywood. Lawrence can instantly get a film greenlit by just attaching her name...Berry could maybe get a cheap direct-to-dvd film greenlit with her name alone. Lawrence is almost a lock for her second Oscar nom this year while I will put money on it that Berry is not.

And just to clarify, WB is pushing almost every single actor in Cloud Atlas. Also, if you follow these things, you'll know that WB does the same thing every year- pushes some movies in every single category (Harry Potter got the same treatment last year including pushes for something like 15 actors!). It's just a thing that studio does.

The reality is that Berry may have been a minor draw at some point, but there is no evidence that she is any more. Dark Tide went direct to VOD, Frankie and Alice remains unreleased, Perfect Stranger was a critical and financial failure, and Things We Lost in the Fire earned only $3.2 total from a wide release (and posted one of the top 100 worst per theater averages for a wide release EVER). When the bright spot on your filmography (since appearing in an inconsequential role in X3) is a small role in the financially disappointing New Year's Eve, you know you're in trouble!

Ok, my essay is over haha...
very terrible argument jen is the new it actress as she jsut came on the scene only acouple years ago she is only 21 for god sakes halle berry is what 46 and has been acting for well over 20 years rarely do actors hold their popularity that long

and dont worry halle does'nt need an oscar nomination since she already has the actual oscar

Old 10-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #352
NanaT
X-Men United!

Default Re: Actors from original trilogy on First Class sequel with Days of Future Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingDee View Post
It's slightly embarrassing that you used "your" instead of you're in this statement. Please, educate me on the proper use of "patently" in the expression "patently ridiculous"!

Great to hear about your class, but that adds no weight to your argument. David Hasselhoff has fantastic name recognition world wide, but I don't see him being touted as a star.

The reality is that, yes, Halle Berry is clearly a celebrity. But she is B-lister at the moment.

The Cloud Atlas role was restricted by race, I believe. Unfortunately, there are very few black actresses that have any name recognition and the pool is further limited when considering actresses that could be realistically paired with Tom Hanks.

Also, despite the awards push, WB clearly does not have confidence in this film. They're opening it on a super slim 1950+ screens which is odd for a major wide release film (in comparison some horror sequel, Silent Hill 2, and something called Fun Size are opening on 2800+ screens). It's likely that WB will just bury this film and focus on Argo.

You also failed to address some of my other points. Why is Halle Berry's amazing name recognition getting her cast in cheapo horror films like Dark Tide and The Hive (another direct to dvd film I'm positive)? Why is the (terrible) Frankie and Alice sitting around unreleased?
To saythatCloud Atlas was restricted by race is the most ridiculous thing to say as throughout the film many actors play characters from different races. (Halle even plays a white character in the film)

Warner Brothers may not have confidence in the movie but its the audience and critical reception that is much more important. (It seems to have split audiences but those who love it really love it.) Besides this has no bearing on my original points that Halle was chosen for her star power and acting ability (Lana Wachowski says in an interview that they could not have imagined anyone else to play that role and that she gives a strong performance.

Frankie and Alice is very good film btw. It has its flaws but is amazing. I can't argue with you about it still being unreleased. It baffles me too. You win on this point Sterling Dee.

You've conveniently left out Movie 43 featuring an all A list cast. Halle's in it so it seems hollywood do not agree with you on Halle being B list

As for The Hive I wouldn't immediately rule it out it has a good concept and two amazing actors in Halle Berry and Abigail Breslin and is being helmed by a competent director, Brad Anderson (The Machinist). As for Dark Tide I haven't seen it so I can't make a judgement but didn't it get a limited release.

After Cloud Atlas I think we're going to see Halle's profile raised and then we'll see if any hollywood producers will approach her with better projects. You forget Halle is a woman of colour in a predominantly white hollywood. The fact that she's won an oscar, is an A lister and has retained that status for over twenty years, and is a working actor is laudable. Not to mention her being cast as the lead in movies like Cloud Atlas which is every actor's dream.

P.S. you have a dictionary I'm sure you can look up 'Patently' yourself

Old 10-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #353
BMM
Side-Kick

Halle Berry has not maintained A-List status for over 20 years. Not as an actress, anyway.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #354
Electrix
Side-Kick

Halle's career cooled off post-2007 after she took time off to have a child. Hollywood has a short term memory and casting decisions are based on who's appearing in movies right now, so naturally she got less high-profile roles (that and she's a black female over 40 so there's hardly any roles out there).

Halle got lucky that A) David Mitchell wrote a book in 2004 called Cloud Atlas with an older black female character and B) The Wachowski's and Tom Tywker wanted to make it into a film with her in it. If it wasn't for Cloud Atlas she'd probably be on Broadway or carrying on with the low budget stuff, but she's found herself in an ambitious and potentially awards-worthy movie so hopefully a career bump will occur.

Unless you're a white male, Denzel Washington, or Will Smith, it's pretty much down to luck whether you're cast in films. Halle got lucky with Storm. Zoe Saldana got lucky with Star Trek. Famke Janssen is lucky Taken did well 4 years ago so she can ride the success of the sequel now.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:01 AM   #355
merbass
Side-Kick

It's even easier to get any to come back and without the drama that they faced in 2005 !

Old 10-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #356
TheWatcher
Dapper

Since Singer is involved I think we'll see Storms role reduced and Cyclops role increased.

-Christian Bale
Old 10-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #357
Electrix
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post
Since Singer is involved I think we'll see Storms role reduced and Cyclops role increased.
Well Cyclops didn't have a big role in X1 or X2 so i'm not sure why you think that.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #358
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Singer wanted a larger role for cyclops for X3 untill he accepted warners offer to do superman while fox was wasting time to make deal with him.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #359
Electrix
Side-Kick

That's because Cyclops is/was supposed to have a big role in the Dark Phoenix saga.

DoFP is different, and there's nothing to suggest how big the roles of Storm and Cyclops will be. We don't even know if they'll both be in the film.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #360
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

True enough.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #361
Angamb
Banned User

X-men 3: zombie party was nice.

but Cant wait for Days of future past, the real thing.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:23 AM   #362
SterlingDee
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
To saythatCloud Atlas was restricted by race is the most ridiculous thing to say as throughout the film many actors play characters from different races. (Halle even plays a white character in the film)

Warner Brothers may not have confidence in the movie but its the audience and critical reception that is much more important. (It seems to have split audiences but those who love it really love it.) Besides this has no bearing on my original points that Halle was chosen for her star power and acting ability (Lana Wachowski says in an interview that they could not have imagined anyone else to play that role and that she gives a strong performance.

Frankie and Alice is very good film btw. It has its flaws but is amazing. I can't argue with you about it still being unreleased. It baffles me too. You win on this point Sterling Dee.

You've conveniently left out Movie 43 featuring an all A list cast. Halle's in it so it seems hollywood do not agree with you on Halle being B list

As for The Hive I wouldn't immediately rule it out it has a good concept and two amazing actors in Halle Berry and Abigail Breslin and is being helmed by a competent director, Brad Anderson (The Machinist). As for Dark Tide I haven't seen it so I can't make a judgement but didn't it get a limited release.

After Cloud Atlas I think we're going to see Halle's profile raised and then we'll see if any hollywood producers will approach her with better projects. You forget Halle is a woman of colour in a predominantly white hollywood. The fact that she's won an oscar, is an A lister and has retained that status for over twenty years, and is a working actor is laudable. Not to mention her being cast as the lead in movies like Cloud Atlas which is every actor's dream.

P.S. you have a dictionary I'm sure you can look up 'Patently' yourself
"Patently Ridiculous" is an idiom. Again, you should not critique other's use of words if you are unfamiliar with expressions/idioms and unable to use the contraction "you're" in a sentence.

Not only is WB releasing Cloud Atlas on only 1950 screens, critical reception is not strong (currently 64% on RT and a very low 27% from top critics). I find it hard to believe that this film will raise her profile at all.

When you say that Halle has maintained an A-list status for over 20 yrs I realized that there is no point in even discussing this with you. You have your own personal definition of what A-list is that no one else shares. I think you may be confusing successful actor with A-list.

Halle is a hugely successful actress, far more successful than 99% of all actors out there, but this alone does not make her A-list movie star. She is more of celebrity/tabloid star. Her best bet at this point is to develop a solid career as a supporting/character actress instead of trying to headline films.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:22 AM   #363
Alison Blaire
Side-Kick

The Wolverine set after X-Men: The Last Stand?
http://www.themoviebit.com/2012/10/t...ast-stand.html

Old 10-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #364
Destructus86
Side-Kick

I actually like to pretend the original X-men films never happened. I see First Class more as a fresh start...and would love it if they re-cast the future X-Men if they show up.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #365
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Um, is it wrong I picked every option?

Old 10-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #366
Lasirius
Tarifa

I'd say Mardsen but I want them to focus on the newer characters they already established in First Class.

If they're going to bring anyone in, I hope they leave Berry out of the equation, she was terrible.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #367
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Beast. As a writer it's the more obvious one of the vast possibilities of meeting your future self.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Old 10-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #368
Great Mind(s)
Broken

I honestly don't want any recasting whatsoever. I'm a stickler for continuity.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #369
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
Continuity makes things awesome-er!

Old 10-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #370
Great Mind(s)
Broken

If it's going to be a movie that links the two movie worlds together it should probably avoid new continuity errors.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:26 AM   #371
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
Um, is it wrong I picked every option?
If it is, I'm in the same boat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
Eh, while I'm not a stickler, I really don't see any need to recast anyone in this series; just needs better writing.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #372
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

I selected all options.

Jackman (Woverine) is leading the poll ?

Seriously, since it is Fox Studios movie, he will return, now I think if Bryan Singer becomes director, maybe James Marsden (Cyclops) will return.

I also want to see Alan Cumming return as Night Crawler and Daniel Cudmore as Colossus, and Famke as Jean Grey.

*\S/T*

Last edited by Bruce_Begins; 10-26-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:54 AM   #373
bullets
bang bang

It seems like Xmen 4 is on the horizon and most of these actors could return.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:06 AM   #374
Alison Blaire
Side-Kick

1-Hugh Jackman 79
2-James Marden 63
3-Ellen Page 53
4-Jamke Janssen 43
5-Halle Berry 39

Old 10-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #375
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets View Post
It seems like Xmen 4 is on the horizon and most of these actors could return.
DOFP is X4, & FC2 simultaneously.

Closed Thread