The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Old 07-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #51
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Default Re: Welcome to Earth One! - Part 1

When is Superman: Earth One 2 supposed to come out?

I hope DC start pumping out a few more a year.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #52
Assassin
Detroit's Reckoning

Just finished Batman, loved it

Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #53
Drz
Real Hero

Superman comes this November.

I hope i receive my copy tomorrow. Will people like Hippie Hunter still cry how much Geoff Johns hates Batman or what? ;D

Old 07-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #54
Dangerman
the end is nigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
Superman comes this November.

I hope i receive my copy tomorrow. Will people like Hippie Hunter still cry how much Geoff Johns hates Batman or what? ;D
You can say that he really doesn't write Batman in a favorable light starting off. Really this book reminds me a lot of Superman: Earth One they both spend the same amount of time in their suits only Batman showed more of the supporting cast and really they were more developed than Batman himself and was leaving more for the sequel while Superman focused more on Clark's journey to becoming Superman.

Dangerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #55
batman44
Go Speed GO

Did they drop the oval bat insignia design for entire book?

<< Romans 1:16 >> For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
batman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #56
Assassin
Detroit's Reckoning

nope

Old 07-06-2012, 07:01 AM   #57
sethypants
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squirrel View Post
Marvel seems to be churning them out a little faster too. But those don't really interest me.
marvel's season one were really bad. its practically what we've seen before a thousand times alr. Plus you can tell that they didnt assign their top talents for their ogn.

sethypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:02 AM   #58
sethypants
Banned User

comicvine put this on spotlight
http://www.comicvine.com/news/spotli...one-hc/144909/

sethypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #59
Cain
"West West Y'all"

Batman: Earth One had a more underdeveloped main character than the Superman one but at least the supporting cast got fleshed out ok (especially Bullock). Still it wasn't very impressive outside of Gary Frank's work to me. Johns tries so hard to add new twists to the origin which is appreciated but some stuff just falls flat way too many times. Like Jim Gordon.

After spending money on one volume for each character (Batman & Superman) I think I now officially give up on following this Earth cause it's just too much money for something that isn't even all that satisfying a read. Then again it could also just be Batman fatigue on my part that left me unimpressed. I'm getting kinda tired of reading so many stories about Bruce Wayne as of late that were just "kinda OK". Maybe I should give his books a rest for a while outside of Morrison.

Pull list: Saga, Thief of Thieves, The Manhattan Projects, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Harbinger, X-O Manowar, Archer & Armstrong, Shadowman, Green Lantern, Red Lanterns, Justice League 3000, Action Comics, Superman/Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Red Hood & The Outlaws, Swamp Thing, All-Star Western, Earth 2, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #60
The Batman
The Dark Knight

I felt like it was another case of johns trying to make someone look more badass than Bruce Wayne...in this case, it was Alfred.

Lol, for me, The main plus for this book was that they kept the Oval.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #61
Cain
"West West Y'all"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
I felt like it was another case of johns trying to make someone look more badass than Bruce Wayne...in this case, it was Alfred.

Lol, for me, The main plus for this book was that they kept the Oval.

Yeah that's always fine by me

Pull list: Saga, Thief of Thieves, The Manhattan Projects, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Harbinger, X-O Manowar, Archer & Armstrong, Shadowman, Green Lantern, Red Lanterns, Justice League 3000, Action Comics, Superman/Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Red Hood & The Outlaws, Swamp Thing, All-Star Western, Earth 2, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #62
Dangerman
the end is nigh

For some reason the ending of this book (Batman: Earth One) reminded me of this

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Dangerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #63
HighFivingMF
Welp.

About to read Superman & Batman back to back!

Old 07-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #64
dru-zod2501
Side-Kick

After just finishing this, My biggest thought is "Wow, Bruce is a huge dick!" his character arc went from spoiled, entitled snot (not at all what I expected, based on what his parents seemed like) to brooding, vengeful ********* vigilante, and by the end I was certainly not convinced that Bruce learned anything about the difference between justice and vengeance. He wasn't looking to make an impact on the filthy city, in fact he was scared of the larger ramifications of bringing Batman into the world when he lost control of his monster. he was just, to borrow another quote "a man lost in the scramble for his own gratification."

And I guess that was the whole point, to show that this Batman is still in his infancy, he hasn't even begun to figure things out yet. But he can, and perhaps, just maybe he will. And maybe then he'll become a likeable character.

some other thoughts: Given the child killer's inhuman size & strength, could he have been hopped up on venom?

As I read Alfred's lines, I dunno, he didn't sound like an Englishman in my head, either an upper class or a working class. Did anyone else feel that way?

It was cute seeing the oval symbol again, but I preferred his first costume to the upgrade

Alfred really loves his guns! And Bruce is Ok with that. I can't imagine DCU Bruce being remotely Ok with that under the same conditions. His Alfred might've been fired for that same action. Just another reason this is NOT The same Batman we know and love (and maybe might never be). But I'm Ok with that for now.

Last edited by dru-zod2501; 07-07-2012 at 12:27 AM.
dru-zod2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:33 AM   #65
Drz
Real Hero

Mainstream Batman has always been okay with Alfred and his shotgun.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:27 AM   #66
Lunar_Wolf
WTF face

Issue 2 was A) Never sold here or B) Sold out pretty damn fast.

Lunar_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:42 AM   #67
Assassin
Detroit's Reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
Mainstream Batman has always been okay with Alfred and his shotgun.
yup.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #68
ironman29758
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
yup.
This. 'Shakes head in approval like a boss'.

"Nazi zombies don’t wanna eat you just ‘cause they’re craving the protein. They do it ‘cause…they do it ‘cause they hate Americans, man. Talibans. They’re the Talibans of the zombie world." thanks TheNextNolan22 for reminding me how awesome Badger is
ironman29758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #69
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

I'm just not fond of
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Penguin dying just as he was getting started
, it seems like such a waste.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #70
WompuM
Esquire

I really don't see why this interpretation of Bruce ever became Batman. All he wanted was vengeance. He had nobody he cared about to protect with a secret identity. This was such a watered down crappy version of Batman Begins. Fox added nothing to the story aside from being a character from BB that everyone recognizes. So he fixed Batman's grapple gun. Big deal. What else did he even do in the story? A more soldier-like Alfred was interesting, but Johns failed to show any relationship between he and Bruce, aside from Alfred not wanting to see Bruce go into foster care.
I don't know how Martha suddenly being an Arkham added anything to the story. She may or may not have been crazy. Okay. So if she was, what did Thomas see in her? Is her craziness just to show that Bruce might be crazy too? If so, that theme was not explored.
I really liked Bullock's character but I have zero idea why he was named Harvey Bullock besides, like Fox, being a character that we all know from somewhere else. Honestly, the character was good, but why make a good original character a retcon of an already existing, probably better character.
And finally, where the **** was the Bat-Cave?

Old 07-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #71
ironman29758
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
I'm just not fond of
Penguin dying just as he was getting started
, it seems like such a waste.
What? How did that happen?

"Nazi zombies don’t wanna eat you just ‘cause they’re craving the protein. They do it ‘cause…they do it ‘cause they hate Americans, man. Talibans. They’re the Talibans of the zombie world." thanks TheNextNolan22 for reminding me how awesome Badger is
Old 07-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #72
WompuM
Esquire

Alfred shot him with a shotgun at the end. It was dumb. Batman should have turned him in to the police.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #73
ironman29758
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WompuM View Post
Alfred shot him with a shotgun at the end. It was dumb. Batman should have turned him in to the police.
Wow.well I guess in the storyline where Batman is a rookie with a few judo and karate lessons from Alfred instead of the badass hero who is master on almost everything it kind of made sense but still I agree that hope that Batman could stop Penguin and turn him into the police as a way to show of growth from spoiled brat vigilante to hero and legend of Gotham. But yeah I guess it was a good way to show this is a good learning point for a rookie Batman.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #74
Spider-Nerd
Bring on the pressure

Read it today and thought it was okay but nothing spectacular. I loved the art though. Is DC planning on making this an ongoing series of trades or was this a oneshot deal?

Old 07-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #75
WompuM
Esquire

Well, the Superman one has another volume coming out, so it reasons to think that this will too eventually. But Johns is a pretty busy guy and volume one, itself, was over a year late, so don't hold your breath.