The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Old 07-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #76
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Default Re: Welcome to Earth One! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Nerd View Post
Read it today and thought it was okay but nothing spectacular. I loved the art though. Is DC planning on making this an ongoing series of trades or was this a oneshot deal?
Nothing's announced, but Superman's getting a sequel so I imagine Batman will too.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #77
Dangerman
the end is nigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
Nothing's announced, but Superman's getting a sequel so I imagine Batman will too.
Their all getting sequels this is suppose to be an ongoing line. The real question really is how long this line will last. The original plan for Earth One was there was suppose to be atleast two books a year much like how when story arcs are collected. I am just waiting to see who comes next and if they will ever acknowledge the other heroes on the Earth.

Dangerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #78
WompuM
Esquire

Again, I wouldn't hold your breath. I don't know why they are using such busy, well-known talent on these books. These should be the non-canonical playgrounds of up-and-comers.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #79
Dangerman
the end is nigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by WompuM View Post
Again, I wouldn't hold your breath. I don't know why they are using such busy, well-known talent on these books. These should be the non-canonical playgrounds of up-and-comers.
Well again this is suppose to be the Ultimate DCU only it won't be monthly.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #80
Spider-Nerd
Bring on the pressure

If it was quarterly I'd be more interested. Standalone elseworld stories really don't do it for me since I don't feel like it's worth getting invested in the characters if I'm going to have to wait more than a year (or forever if they never write more)to get new stories.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #81
dru-zod2501
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
Mainstream Batman has always been okay with Alfred and his shotgun.
hmm, I've seen Alfred threaten with it, but never have I seen him use it to kill someone, even in self-defense, and I still don't see mainstream Batman being ok with it as when has he ever let his allies get away with killing, even in self-defense?

dru-zod2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #82
Dangerman
the end is nigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru-zod2501 View Post
hmm, I've seen Alfred threaten with it, but never have I seen him use it to kill someone, even in self-defense, and I still don't see mainstream Batman being ok with it as when has he ever let his allies get away with killing, even in self-defense?
I guess you forgot about Damian.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #83
Drz
Real Hero

Damian, Jason Todd, Huntress.

Batman doesn't tolerate it, but he pretty much just tells them to quit it. Jason Todd's the only one who has gone as far to provoke Batman about this.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #84
dru-zod2501
Side-Kick

Quote:
Damian, Jason Todd, Huntress.

Batman doesn't tolerate it, but he pretty much just tells them to quit it. Jason Todd's the only one who has gone as far to provoke Batman about this.
touché alright then.

dru-zod2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #85
sethypants
Banned User

i think people make the mistake thinking this is the same batman. Its not.

sethypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #86
Grommers
Side-Kick

I bought both the superman earth one and batman earth one.

Read them both today.

Superman - Review - Spoilers in here.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Interesting..he felt very cold shouldered. Very distant from his common man. Almost like he knew he was superior. Just the vibe I got from the story. The pacing felt really fast, like all of a sudden it went from him being this supersmart genius - to bam aliens are attacking. Art was sound though. I'd give the writing a 6/10, but the art a 8.5/10.

Batman - Review - Spoilers in -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I get that it's a difference style of batman. I get that. But this was reallllllllly meh for my liking. It didn't come off as interesting, or that creative juices were really flowing when it was written. It felt like "hey, we need a story bam bam bam bam bam, go with it." Felt clunky, batman is literally just a guy who dresses up...whose training comes from alfred..who insists on using guns. He naturally gets his ass kicked, but even the leading up to the mayor (whose the penguin.) being the one who orchestrated his parents death. It all felt bland. Oh, and his mother is an arkham, so everyone already thinks bruce is crazy because of that.

Grommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #87
Drz
Real Hero

My thoughts on Batman: Earth One
Quote:

Earth One is a series of graphic novels set for their very own continuity and marketed for the hardcore & casuals alike with the premise of receiving one good story per volume, which also follows as an ongoing series. The page count is 144 of storytelling, no extras or anything, just one big story told.

For me, this is the story of Gotham City and its inhabitants, mainly Bruce Wayne & his relation with Alfred, James Gordon’s and Harvey Bullock’s partnership. It’s about family, loyalty and team work in a harsh corrupt city where no hope seems to exist at all. Batman’s a total novice, having spent his entire life in Gotham City, no international journeys for this bratty snob, while Alfred having taught him protection and keeping up the shape, as this Alfred is much more reflected by his marine past, than the mainstream Alfred ever has been. Likewise, James Gordon’s life is a train wreck and like I’ve mentioned Batman hasn’t done any international soul searching journey and trained with the ninjas, so we’re looking at a very novice Batman who is nothing more than about vengeance.

Gary Frank’s storytelling is top notch; the amount of facial expressions found in the book speaks for itself and shows the emotional struggles and joys these characters face over the course of the story, thus the ending with its happy and sad endings is all the more empowering. The action sequences are mostly good, but if feel the two page spreads are unnecessary in this book’s format of storytelling, not to mention people have seen much more stunning double page spreads than what this book has to offer for action sequences.

What I found most interesting are the changes to the Batman mythos that the book represents, because their totally new takes on some classic Batman tropes, some more familiar, some far more unique and interestingly thought out. Geoff Johns has found interesting potential with the Wayne family legacy, much like he did with Flashpoint’s Batman. However there are some blatant inspirations by Batman Begins, the most significant being Lucius Fox’s role as making the gadgets for Batman, however this Lucius seems to be either the same age or perhaps even younger than Bruce, so again, there are some twists to the mythos.

Overall, this is a book that builds up Batman’s and Gotham’s mythos while offering the story of Batman searching for the truth behind the Wayne family murders, we’re they murdered by the Mayor of Gotham or was it just a random mugging by Gotham’s very evil?

Rating: 93/100
- I’m recommending this to everyone from hardcore Bat-fanatics to the random trade pack purchasers. You get a solid world building setting of Gotham City, while craving for the next chapter after finishing this one.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:48 AM   #88
WompuM
Esquire

You gave that unimaginitive **** a 93%? I would give it like a 65.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #89
Assassin
Detroit's Reckoning

I loved it but I still liked Superman better.

Batman 7/10 and Superman 8.5/10

Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #90
Drz
Real Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by WompuM View Post
You gave that unimaginitive **** a 93%? I would give it like a 65.
1st you complain about things like no Batcave and Lucius being too much like the movies, then you complain about it being too different.

Make up your mind.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #91
Dangerman
the end is nigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
I loved it but I still liked Superman better.

Batman 7/10 and Superman 8.5/10
That's how I saw it. I just wished they went more into Batman's training and him finding the cave. I also liked how the Batmobile was just one of his regular cars. I think what was missing to me is how he became or becomes a great detective and how he becomes good with chemicals as well but then again this is a new Batman and he might not to be good with that stuff. I also wanted to see Wayne Enterprises not just Wayne Technology.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:10 PM   #92
Raven X
Nevermore

so Batman: Earth One is finally out, huh.

I wish they'd make these Earth One books come out on some regular schedule. cuz I honestly forgot all about Batman: EO.

Disney Lover!!
Raven X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #93
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever

So the main problem with this is the fact that Johns is definitely a monthly guy. He doesn't have the temperment to rein in his tendencies to throw in a bunch of needless schlock that would make you salivate for the next monthly but in trade/GN is just callbacks and foreshadowing to stuff that we already know.

Removing some of that stuff would have made from for more of Bruce and Alfred. Bruce going over his costume and methods.

Overall, Bullock came out looking the most awesome in the book cause there were no shout outs to anything about him. This was purely his intro.

7/10

Old 07-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #94
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!

Just read Batman Earth One. I have been looking forward to it for quite some time now (ever since Superman Earth One came out over a year ago). Loved this one. Really can't wait for volume 2. They had some good set up for the sequel and I hope they explore more with the Dents.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #95
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

I just got a hold of Batman: Earth One. Basically everything that JMS did right in Superman: Earth One, Geoff Johns does wrong in Batman: Earth One. Superman: Earth One feels more like Ultimate Spider-Man, a modern update of the character while keeping in line with what he represents. Batman: Earth One feels more like the rest of the Ultimate line, the main characters being a bunch of *******s and stupid retarded changes for the sake of change. I love Johns, but damn he just doesn't know how to write Batman. And Gary Frank is just far better suited for Superman, go back to Superman Gary!

Old 07-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #96
Drz
Real Hero

Are you still going to insist how much Johns hates Batman or something lol?

Old 07-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #97
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Are you still going to insist how much Johns hates Batman or something lol?
I don't think that Johns hates Batman. He just doesn't know how to write him. He has this bizarre perception that Batman is some jackass hellbent on vengeance when that's not what the character is at all. And yes, the way this was written just reinforces my perception that Johns did this more for Gary Frank as opposed to really wanting to do a Batman story. This was just filled with so much lazy writing. But along with getting Batman's character completely wrong, stupid changes like this bother me:

- Martha being a part of the Arkham family.

- One legged Alfred who worked in a security firm and advocates Bruce using guns.

- Alfred killing the Penguin.

- Harvey Bullock being a Hollywood detective.

- James Gordon being a total pussy.

- Bruce Wayne being a spoiled little twit.

- Batman clearly not having any bit of training outside of Alfred.

- Batman punches James Gordon.

And of course the worst part:

- Bruce and Alfred get into a fist fight and then Bruce kicks Alfred's leg off.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #98
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

I thought making Martha an Arkham was genius personally.

Ever since Frank Miller introduced the whole "Psycho grim-dark" take on the character everyone's raised the possibility that Bruce is just as crazy as his enemies, and I like that Johns sort of played that up by using the Arkham connection here, also it actually gives Martha some characterisation.

Basically I think Johns likes Bruce's parents more than he likes Bruce himself.

Roose Bolton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #99
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

I'd agree with that assessment.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #100
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

I don't mind that the characters are portrayed differently, or even sometimes seem like different characters altogether. As long as the characterization remains consistent in the earth one universe.

Make mine DC, if you please.

every1 says im 2 aloof but idc
RoughNTumble is offline   Reply With Quote