The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Old 07-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #101
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

Default Re: Welcome to Earth One! - Part 1

btw i watched begins last night with my cousins prepping for Dark knight rises, and douchey revenge bruce in earth one is a lot like douchey revenge bruce before he skips to china

Make mine DC, if you please.

every1 says im 2 aloof but idc
RoughNTumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:57 PM   #102
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

I don't mind changes to keep a story relevant and up to date. What I don't like are stupid changes and things that get changed just for the sake of change.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:31 PM   #103
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

But it's its own universe and has no bearing on the others. I don't see whats wrong with changing it up.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:26 PM   #104
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

There's no need to turn Alfred into a one legged *******.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:22 AM   #105
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

I wonder if he gets freaky with that fake leg....

Old 07-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #106
Dangerman
the end is nigh

I have to agree with Hippie here. I think Johns likes Batman but just doesn't know how to write him. I think some aspects one Earth were very good but I can understand why some may be disappointed with the book. But you got to remember that the only reason why he did this book was as a favor to Frank for his work on Superman.

Last edited by Dangerman; 07-17-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Dangerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #107
Drz
Real Hero

Jesus christ we're still going with this "Geoff Johns only writes Batman to please his co-worker" crap?! And honestly Hippie Hunter, it was an Ultimization, he was given the choice of doing things differently and it worked out.

Even Superman had changes, like making Superman an AVENGER of Krypton, yet you don't complain about that.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #108
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
Jesus christ we're still going with this "Geoff Johns only writes Batman to please his co-worker" crap?! And honestly Hippie Hunter, it was an Ultimization, he was given the choice of doing things differently and it worked out.
Half the time, Ultimizations don't work. Sure it does work at times like they did with Spider-Man or S.H.I.E.L.D., but a lot of times they don't work and are just dumb like what they did to Captain America or Deadpool.

And yeah, considering the full plate he has, I highly doubt that Johns would have taken on this project if it weren't for Gary Frank really wanting to do it and paying him back for working on Superman despite the fact that Frank really isn't a Superman guy. And look at how Johns writes Batman in general. He writes him off as a total prick all of the time. And he's a prick in Batman: Earth One as well.

Quote:
Even Superman had changes, like making Superman an AVENGER of Krypton, yet you don't complain about that.
Because the changes done with Superman weren't stupid. Superman being the "avenger" of Krypton isn't dumb when he's still the same guy who fights for truth and justice. Earth One Superman is still the guy who wants to use his powers to do good. And with Volume 2 not yet out, we don't know how far JMS will take this "avenger" route. Despite the changes done, I'm still reading ****ing Superman.

Earth One Batman on the other hand was solely obsessed with vengeance which goes against what Batman stands for. He's about standing for justice and protecting the innocent. He wants to make sure what happened to him doesn't happen to others. In Batman: Earth One he just wants to avenge his parents' deaths. He becomes Batman to get back at the Cobblepot administration and he decides to stay as Batman because it was a random freak accident that killed his parents. He's nothing but a spoiled brat. But hell, what they did to Batman isn't even the biggest crime of this book, how they changed Alfred, Bullock, and Gordon is far, far, FAR worse.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #109
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

I liked what they did with Batman in e1. You don't have to start out a complete hero. Bruce is human and I liked the way they had him deal with things.

Primal Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #110
Drz
Real Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
He writes him off as a total prick all of the time. And he's a prick in Batman: Earth One as well.
So now you're saying Frank Miller and others hate Batman too?
Quote:
Because the changes done with Superman weren't stupid.
Oh yes they we're.
Quote:
Superman being the "avenger" of Krypton isn't dumb when he's still the same guy who fights for truth and justice.
Nope. Superman's fightning simply because he feels some things humanity can't handle, but he isn't interested in dilemmas that he personally beliefs normal people can handle.
Quote:
Earth One Superman is still the guy who wants to use his powers to do good.
To the extent he sees fit while wanting to live a happy live with his Mother having good amount of money too.
Quote:
Earth One Batman on the other hand was solely obsessed with vengeance which goes against what Batman stands for.
So now you hate Christopher Nolan and Grant Morrison's Batman too? Their Batman began with vengeance too, but this Batman also learns to stand for something bigger, something you refuse to acknowledge, because you want to hate anything Johns Batman related.
Quote:
Batman because it was a random freak accident that killed his parents.
Because he learns Batman can be something greater, and thus he can prevent freak accidents LIKE his parents getting shot from happening.
Quote:
He's nothing but a spoiled brat. But hell, what they did to Batman isn't even the biggest crime of this book, how they changed Alfred, Bullock, and Gordon is far, far, FAR worse.
Lol. You might as well hate Adam West show for changing Alfred, or Frank Miller for changing Gordon. Yet you allow these things because they're in the past and part of your nostalgia.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #111
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

I thought the changes to Bullock worked, he comes across as incredibly shallow yet he's shown to be a pretty good guy underneath just like he is in the mainstream version, the only difference is how his exterior personality throws you off.

And even by the end it's shown he started to become the drunk of the mainstream. So there's that.

Roose Bolton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #112
Dangerman
the end is nigh

Quote:

I will never say he hates Batman in fact I think he wants to have Batman's babies but I will say he hates Superman with a passion.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #113
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Again, you're relying on completely misinterpreting my statements. I don't think that Johns hates Batman. I just think that he'd rather write other characters and it's blatantly obvious that he doesn't know how to write the character.

Quote:
Oh yes they we're.
Not really.

Quote:
Nope. Superman's fightning simply because he feels some things humanity can't handle, but he isn't interested in dilemmas that he personally beliefs normal people can handle.
Wait, regular Superman does the same thing as well!

Quote:
To the extent he sees fit while wanting to live a happy live with his Mother having good amount of money too.
That was while he was trying to figure out who he was. In the end he decided to be Superman and a low paying reporter for the Daily Planet.

Quote:
So now you hate Christopher Nolan and Grant Morrison's Batman too? Their Batman began with vengeance too, but this Batman also learns to stand for something bigger, something you refuse to acknowledge, because you want to hate anything Johns Batman related.
Except Christopher Nolan's Batman was never based on vengeance. In his younger years before he became Bruce Wayne he was angry and bitter but Rachel and Ra's al Ghul taught him that he should be better than that. And Grant Morrison's Batman is filled with many emotions that go beyond just rage.

Johns on the other hand writes Batman as an angry prick from his origin to the modern day. There is no other emotion he exhibits other than mistrust and anger.

Quote:
Because he learns Batman can be something greater, and thus he can prevent freak accidents LIKE his parents getting shot from happening.
No, he's taking his vengeance away from Cobblepot to all crime. It's still a vengeance based motive.

Quote:
Lol. You might as well hate Adam West show for changing Alfred, or Frank Miller for changing Gordon. Yet you allow these things because they're in the past and part of your nostalgia.
Again you're relying on completely misinterpreting my statements. I have nothing against change. Change can be good. I don't like stupid change. Miller's changes on Gordon's character works because before Miller, Gordon was kind of a non-character. Sorta like Pat Hingle's interpretation of the character. And how did they really change Alfred in the Adam West show (which I'll admit that I'm not that fond of)? He's still Batman's butler for crying out loud, that was his role back in the 1960's.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #114
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

In a lot of ways I think this GN wasn't exactly the origin that Superman was.
It's funny really that it does specifically show that Bruce isn't out for any real grand purpose other than his own gratification, it's only when the public becomes aware of Batman and mistakes him for some alturistic hero out to change Gotham that Bruce actually starts to be less selfish, and a little more heroic. Even then it's not much and there's still a ways to go. I think that's what this series will be about; Bruce discovering the bigger picture and evolving into that selfless hero that we all love and know.

/end rant

Roose Bolton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #115
Dangerman
the end is nigh

See the problem with Batman: Earth One is just that Johns doesn't really have a desire to write Batman and when I say Batman I mean Bruce Wayne. Johns has more fun writing the supporting cast. It even showed with Superman. Johns admitted his favorite person to write is Lois Lane. The main reason why he took this book was as a favor to Gary Frank. This was even said in past interviews. It was a trade off for Frank doing Superman: SO. That's all this ways.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #116
WompuM
Esquire

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
There's no need to turn Alfred into a one legged *******.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon sexton View Post
I wonder if he gets freaky with that fake leg....
I miss Drakon. I wish he still posted here instead of wasting all his time on reddit.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #117
Blackman
King Kong

I just read Batman: Earth One. I thought it was pretty good. It had some elements I didnt really like such as: Alfred's characterization and Bruce not being that well trained. But all in all I thought it was pretty good.

I hope they do Wonder Woman: Earth One next, but if I had to guess the next new EO story will be GL. I also wish these were ongoing series.

And here is an IGN article about which Earth One stories they want to see next. http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/...graphic-novels

Last edited by Blackman; 07-26-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Blackman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #118
Lord
All Mighty

I think that the Captain America change made sence, they made it more realistic for what a guy that just woke from World War II would behave like, and it was funny at times, like the recurrying joke of Captain America and the Frensh.

However the changes in Earth One have been a little bad, as well as the way they use them. They didn't capture what made Ultimate Marvel so fresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
Most of the executives in Hollywood - in fact almost everyone in the movie industry - is smarter than almost all of the movies they make, and they know it. They're just not smart enough not to make them.
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #119
Assassin
Detroit's Reckoning

I can't wait for Superman V2. Mostly for Shane Davis' art!. Love his stuff.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #120
darthneo64
Newbie First Class

Was not impressed at ALL with Earth One Batman...

I could do a better job, in fact I am writing a story now...

darthneo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:38 AM   #121
BillPardy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthneo64 View Post

Shameless plug for fan fiction.

BillPardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #122
Assassin
Detroit's Reckoning

Quote:

i can't wait to not read it

Old 07-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #123
darthneo64
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPardy View Post
Shameless plug for fan fiction.
It IS a shameless plug

Old 07-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #124
darthneo64
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
i can't wait to not read it
When it's done I really want you to read it and if it sux, I wanna hear that too...

Old 07-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #125
Assassin
Detroit's Reckoning

Quote:
When it's done I really want you to read it and if it sux, I wanna hear that too...
will it have art? i'm down for comics.