Side-Kick

Default Re: Welcome to Earth One! - Part 1

J. Michael Straczynski On 'Superman: Earth One, Volume 3'

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #177
Baramos
Side-Kick

Way more interested in hearing about Batman Earth One Volume 2...glad to hear they are returning to some of the stuff from Superman Earth One Volume 1, though, since volume 2 going off with Parasite instead of focusing on that original threat again felt like it was a definite tangent.

Baramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #178
Superman Earth1
Side-Kick

That is great to hear but I would still love to have more than one book every other year. I wish they would do one book a month meaning Jan. Superman, Feb. Batman, Mar. Wonder Woman, Apr. Green Lantern, etc. That's how I wish they would do this or put it into a monthly format. I just wish we got more books as promised when they first started.

Superman Earth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #179
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Any cool bits of information? My monitor died recently and I'm borrowing a buddy's without sound so I can't watch the video.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #180
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman Earth1 View Post
That is great to hear but I would still love to have more than one book every other year. I wish they would do one book a month meaning Jan. Superman, Feb. Batman, Mar. Wonder Woman, Apr. Green Lantern, etc. That's how I wish they would do this or put it into a monthly format. I just wish we got more books as promised when they first started.
They do. Those are called comic books.

And HFMF, JMS compares his Superman to Shakespeare's Richard III (Tyrell and the mysterious big bad) and he says that Superman III will be an end to this first arc and will close any mysteries raised in the first two. But he could keep going if he's asked.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #181
Superman Earth1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
They do. Those are called comic books.

And HFMF, JMS compares his Superman to Shakespeare's Richard III (Tyrell and the mysterious big bad) and he says that Superman III will be an end to this first arc and will close any mysteries raised in the first two. But he could keep going if he's asked.
Understood but I mean set in the Earth One world. While I like the New 52 world I would love to see more of the Earth One world and heroes on a more frequent base then what we see of them now.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:34 AM   #182
Baramos
Side-Kick

Quote:
Understood but I mean set in the Earth One world. While I like the New 52 world I would love to see more of the Earth One world and heroes on a more frequent base then what we see of them now.
Well Batman Earth One was 140 pages, so you're essentially getting six months of an Earth One comic book at one time.

Baramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #183
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Batman Earth One was a let down for me, Superman Earth One was epic and I even enjoyed Part 2 which wasn't as good as the first one but it was better than Batman Earth One. My problems with it are the usual for Geoff Johns much like Superman Secret Origin I felt the whole thing was a little rushed. There were aspects I liked, I loved what they did with Alfred, the fact his own tech was a little lacking so he had to get help and that he wasn't that good. Personally though the Cobblepot stuff was too much like the Joker killing the Wayne's in Batman '89 for me, but unlike that film it did make ore sense in that he needed them out if the way so he could become (or stay as - I forget) Mayor. So I don't know how I felt about that.

Here's how I'd rate the Earth One titles so far

Superman Earth One 9.5/10
Superman Earth One Vol. 2 8/10
Batman Earth One 7/10

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #184
DareDemon
Hi! I like shorts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baramos View Post
Well Batman Earth One was 140 pages, so you're essentially getting six months of an Earth One comic book at one time.
Then they should come put every six months per title!

I love Earth One and Earth Two. I loved Batman being the last son of two families. The map of Gotham was cool too, very twisty turny. Definitely titles I will collect til completion.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #185
Superman Earth1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Batman Earth One was a let down for me, Superman Earth One was epic and I even enjoyed Part 2 which wasn't as good as the first one but it was better than Batman Earth One. My problems with it are the usual for Geoff Johns much like Superman Secret Origin I felt the whole thing was a little rushed. There were aspects I liked, I loved what they did with Alfred, the fact his own tech was a little lacking so he had to get help and that he wasn't that good. Personally though the Cobblepot stuff was too much like the Joker killing the Wayne's in Batman '89 for me, but unlike that film it did make ore sense in that he needed them out if the way so he could become (or stay as - I forget) Mayor. So I don't know how I felt about that.

Here's how I'd rate the Earth One titles so far

Superman Earth One 9.5/10
Superman Earth One Vol. 2 8/10
Batman Earth One 7/10
Agreed although it did take some getting use to for me with Lisa being the Lana Lang of Earth One.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #186
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

I don't think any of the titles have been anything great yet. Hopefully Batman II and Superman III deliver as well as the developing titles

Old 05-07-2013, 08:17 AM   #187
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Agreed although it did take some getting use to for me with Lisa being the Lana Lang of Earth One.
Yeah I suppose she was. I wonder if he wanted to call her Lana but they wouldn't let him. Not to say Lana couldn't pop up in the series at somepoint. I just wish they'd get them out quicker.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #188
Gabe99
Side-Kick

Comic Book Resources:

New Details, Art Released for Morrison's "Multiversity," "Wonder Woman Earth One"

Old 05-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #189
Gabe99
Side-Kick

Here Comes Wonder Woman Earth One By Grant Morrison And Yanick Paquette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Johnston

We’ve been talking about this one for a while.

Quite a while.

But here’s the first physical evidence. A double page splash from Grant Morrison and Yanick Paquette’s upcoming Wonder Woman Earth One, joining the original graphic novel series Superman Earth One and Batman Earth One on the shelves. And hopefully plumping up a Wonder Woman entry in next year’s Essential DC catalogue…

Here’s what we might be looking forward to…

Quote:
So Marston had all these ideas and it was very deep, there was a book by him which was hidden in the DC Comics vaults because they didn’t really want anyone to see it, and a friend of mine at DC sneaked it out for me one time. And it’s this thing, and honestly you can’t read it, it’s deranged, it’s like the guys just done mescaline or something, talking about his sexual theories.

…But then Marston died, and that energy left the strip, it just disappeared… when you took the sex out of Wonder Woman, the thing went flat. And the sales died immediately after Marston himself died and never ever recovered.

… I think I’ve found a way, but I’m not gonna tell you what I’ve done because hopefully the Wonder Woman series will be out next year sometime or thereabouts. But I think I’ve found a way to get all that back in again but it took a lot of reading. This has been the hardest project I’ve ever done.

That Superman’s meant to be this ultimate expression of masculinity and he still gets to be sexual, while Wonder Woman’s meant to be the ultimate expression of womanhood and yet she isn’t allowed anything to do with sex.
Expect solicitations any day now.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #190
Tron Bonne
Revolution in Ink

I'm up for it. I like that he's going back to the Marston roots with WW (this is a very underrated and undermined time of content, much like a lot of the GA material for a lot of characters). Not sure how I feel about the whole war of the sexes stuff he's talking about, but I get where he's pulling it from.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #191
Gabe99
Side-Kick

Wonder Woman graphic novel: Grant Morrison takes on the feminist icon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelene Clark
Wonder Woman is getting a modern makeover in an upcoming graphic novel by award-winning comic writer Grant Morrison and artist Yanick Paquette. “Wonder Woman: Earth One” reimagines the Amazon warrior’s mythic origin in a modern-day setting. The graphic novel follows J. Michael Straczynski’s “Superman: Earth One” and Geoff Johns’ “Batman: Earth One.”

For Morrison, who is nearing the end of his successful run with “Batman Incorporated” (issue No. 13 is due out July 24), writing a Wonder Woman book represented a chance to round out the trinity. Morrison has already written extensive Superman and Batman stories, but Wonder Woman has always been a periphery character in his work. Paquette (“Ultimate X-Men,” “Swamp Thing”) drew a handful of “Wonder Woman” books in the late 1990s.

The 120-page “Wonder Woman: Earth One” comes at a time when the lasso-wielding heroine appears to be on the brink of a popularity resurgence. The CW is developing a Wonder Woman television show, and many fans are pushing for a big-screen feature based on the Amazon.

Hero Complex chatted with Morrison about the character’s origins, previous Wonder Woman iterations, and his plans for the superheroine in “Wonder Woman: Earth One.”

Old 06-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #192
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

There better be a release date soon

Old 06-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #193
Lord
All Mighty

Excited for Grant Morrison's take on Wonder Woman, up until now all of thei Earth One books have been mediocre

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #194
lixdexia
Blood Angels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Excited for Grant Morrison's take on Wonder Woman, up until now all of thei Earth One books have been mediocre
don't worry, i'm sure this will be no exception.

dictated, not read.
lixdexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #195
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixdexia View Post

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #196
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixdexia View Post
Why you gotta kill a brother's hype like that?

Old 06-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #197
lixdexia
Blood Angels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Why you gotta kill a brother's hype like that?
3 reasons.

1- i'm a realist.
2- it's an earth one book
3- it's a grant morrison book

dictated, not read.
lixdexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:48 PM   #198
RoughNTumble
i m not desperate

>liking man of steel
>hating on grant morrison