The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

View Poll Results: Rate the Movie
10 66 39.76%
9 68 40.96%
8 21 12.65%
7 6 3.61%
6 2 1.20%
5 0 0%
4 1 0.60%
3 2 1.20%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 10:15 AM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS!

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 04-04-2014, 10:15 AM   #2
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS!

Hey guys, here is a thread where you can post your reviews for the movie. You may also use untagged spoilers here, but you must tag everywhere else! Have fun :up:

Old 04-04-2014, 10:15 AM   #3
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Default Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
Yep.

Those.

UGH.

:waa:
Really glad you liked it Suzanne after you seeing all these people posting about it. It could easily have hyped up your expectations and you could've ended up disappointed. Glad you didn't. Did you dress up or paint your nails for the movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
TASM 2 will be fine, especially with BO.
Because the whiff of your armpits will be distracting you too much from seeing the flaws in the movie?

Old 04-04-2014, 10:18 AM   #4
hitmanyr2k
Resident Lurker

Default Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS! - Part 1

Quote:
The more I think about it, the more the Peggy/Steve stuff really, really hurt.

I think it's really clear from the way Steve
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
reacted to her fugue that he's already experienced this, that he has probably, likely been visiting her whenever he can. Peggy's basically stuck in time, differently than how Cap can't escape his past in this movie, but it's another variation on the theme of being "out of their time." It was just so darn heartbreaking to watch. Especially one of the most kickass women in the MCU slowly deteriorating over time.
I felt bad for Cap as well because it kind of showed his desperation to hold onto something of his past.
When you think about it Peggy is really all he had. He obviously had no friends or anyone to confide in (which is why he probably made many visits to the Cap exhibit) and even in Peggy's condition having her to talk to was better than nothing at all.

Quote:
And, Sebastian Stan said in interviews that he modeled his performance after watching his stepfather with Alzheimer's. That was so completely clear during
the scene with Pierce in the minderasing chair of HYDRA doom. The confusion and vagueness as Bucky was trying to latch onto his memories… really well portrayed by the Russos and Stan.
I really liked that scene as well even though it turned him into something of a sympathetic (although still badass) villain. I didn't know about his stepfather.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:19 AM   #5
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post

Because the whiff of your armpits will be distracting you too much from seeing the flaws in the movie?
Nice one.

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5 2. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5 3. X-Men: Days of Future Past 9

Quote:
But Captain America: The Winter Soldier wins. Everything. My first born son, even. It's the unicorn of the MCU.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:22 AM   #6
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Really glad you liked it Suzanne after you seeing all these people posting about it. It could easily have hyped up your expectations and you could've ended up disappointed. Glad you didn't. Did you dress up or paint your nails for the movie?

I was really worried I had hyped it up too much, but… yeah, wow, the emotional stuff got to me as much as the buttkickery. I thought it was simply terrific - well balanced with emotion, humor and action, timely, and emphasis on practical effects.

THOSE CAR CHASE SCENES!!

Old 04-04-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
hafizbat
Side-Kick

Default Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS! - Part 1

I wonder how

They're gonna find his shield after he dropped it in the water.

My little sister was like Noooooooooo when he did that, lol. Seriously, that shield was KILLER in TWS.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:30 AM   #8
Verbal21
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
I wonder how

They're gonna find his shield after he dropped it in the water.

My little sister was like Noooooooooo when he did that, lol. Seriously, that shield was KILLER in TWS.
They have weapons that can pinpoint people's locations, Stark's dad found the tesseract in an ocean, Loki found hidden passageways to other dimensions, etc so I'm sure they can find a vibranium shield in a lake

Old 04-04-2014, 10:37 AM   #9
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

So I went and saw it last night and found that I really enjoyed it despite many issues I had with Bucky's character development. I found the action/fight scenes to be THE best out of any of the solo Marvel films, and I really loved the character arc for Cap himself, but I admit I really am sick of Marvel under-developing it's villains.

We had about 5 minutes total of actual development for the character, sure he was a badass and amazingly physical threat to Cap in the film and gave us some awesome action scenes, but one would think a little bit of story for him would've made that final showdown more dramatic than it actually ended up being.

Overall I give it a 8.5/10

BTW why can't I vote on the poll, why would it be closed this early?

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
Old 04-04-2014, 10:38 AM   #10
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

BTW guys, Cap opened with $10.2 million on Thurs.

That. Number. Is. Epic.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:43 AM   #11
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Aww man the poll is closed now. Thankfully i got my vote in but that sucks for people who couldn't see it at midnight. We need a new poll thread

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8.5/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 8/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10
Old 04-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #12
thalidomide
The Enemy

Going to see it again tomorrow, I can't wait

Old 04-04-2014, 10:54 AM   #13
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Seeing it again today.

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8.5/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 8/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10
Old 04-04-2014, 11:00 AM   #14
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

I was so pressed that I didn't get to vote in The Avengers poll, LOL! So glad I got to get mine in for TWS!

GET THOSE TENS, BABY!!

Old 04-04-2014, 11:05 AM   #15
Leenie
Make Up!

Quote:
BTW guys, Cap opened with $10.2 million on Thurs.

That. Number. Is. Epic.
Awesome.

I've never understood the whole thing about Cap being a "boring" superhero, as I've always loved him, and I was more than thrilled with Captain America: The First Avenger. With this sequel, though, I notice that people are finally seeing the light towards Cap.

Captain America doesn't play. He's badass: the badass you root for and the badass who inspires you to do the right thing. The movie totally makes sure that everyone knows that, too!

(6) Captain America: The Winter Soldier, (7) Kick-Ass, (8) Batman (89),
(9) Captain America: The First Avenger, (10) X-Men: DoFP
Old 04-04-2014, 11:05 AM   #16
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Speaking of the poll, the 9s and 10s are way more packed than they were on the IM3 or Thor 2 polls.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:08 AM   #17
Leenie
Make Up!

By the way, did anyone notice the line made by Black Widow after Cap stole that car they were driving in?

It reminded me of that horrible Captain America movie from 1990 (probably THE worst comic book movie ever IMO), where he stole SEVERAL cars throughout the course of the movie.

Anyway, I chuckled to myself at the theater.

(6) Captain America: The Winter Soldier, (7) Kick-Ass, (8) Batman (89),
(9) Captain America: The First Avenger, (10) X-Men: DoFP
Old 04-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #18
BobJM
Who's Bad?

How is that in all these pages of hype for the movie, no one has mentioned the most badass scene in the movie?

When Fury removes his eyepatch?!? I lost it

Old 04-04-2014, 11:24 AM   #19
Brutalitops
Side-Kick

Saw it last night, 8 PM showing, packed (and the line for the three 11:15 showings was ridiculous as I was coming out). Great. Would give it an 8.5/10. Only huge complaint was the lack of Agent 13, but I understand the need to introduce her so as to set her up for future movies. The ending was extremely satisfying, seeing where everyone ended up after SHIELD's dismantling.

Biggest pop of the night from the crowd was when Black Widow revealed herself, beat up Pierce's goons, and held him at gunpoint. Second was probably when Fury big dick swaggered into the room after Pierce said they needed two high ranking SHIELD officials to release the files to the public. A lot of laughter from some of Fury's one liners and a big gasp from the mentioning of a certain Sorcerer Supreme. Loved the Amadeus Cho reference!

Interesting note, during the coming attractions the biggest groan was for Transformers 4, and the only preview to get applause was Guardians of the Galaxy.

Also a cheer when Danny Pudi showed up on screen.

Seeing it again tomorrow with a bigger group of people. Can't wait.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:26 AM   #20
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimod0 View Post
Speaking of the poll, the 9s and 10s are way more packed than they were on the IM3 or Thor 2 polls.
Yeah and that's completely understandable. Let's face it especially among CB fans IM3 was very controversial (and I loved IM3), and I think a lot of people felt let down by TDW, far more than IM2.

This film is clearly better than the first, which is a first for Marvel studios for a direct sequel. Everyone's opinion is different, but I'd say the general consensus:

IM1>IM2
Thor>Thor TDW
CA:TWS>CA:TFA

Old 04-04-2014, 11:28 AM   #21
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJM View Post
How is that in all these pages of hype for the movie, no one has mentioned the most badass scene in the movie?

lol that was great "you need to keep both eyes open"

Old 04-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #22
thalidomide
The Enemy

I like IM3 as well but so far for me CA:TWS is the best phase 2 movie yet.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:53 AM   #23
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

Really loved this last night. There was 6 showings before the one I saw at midnight and from what I could tell they were packed for a Thurs premier. Going to see it again either tonight or tomorrow!

Old 04-04-2014, 12:01 PM   #24
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

I really enjoyed this. I wasn't blown out of the water, I think it might have been overhyped to me a bit. It's an 8/10. Iron Man 3 was just as good imho. Avengers was significantly better to me. I am horribly biased though. As a Cap fan, I felt this movie was 'owed' to me, so when he did certain stuff, I was like 'yeah, as it should be.'

That said, there were lots of things I really liked about this movie.

Captain America - He was Cap, in spirit and form. His fighting style was incredible, acrobatic and very strong, the Shield use was brilliant, it almost deserves it's own analysis. It had weight and heft and real character.

Black Widow - I really loved what they did with her. She was lost, truly lost. There was a point where she asks Cap "who do you want me to be?" and it sounds like she's teasing, but the subject is she's not. She doesn't know who she is. It's a very cool character moment.

Nick Fury - The godfather of the MCU goes quietly into the night, as he always intended. Him having this event really just... sings. The moment where he tries to rally the kids to save SHIELD and Cap is like no, and he realizes that Cap has taken over. He leans back and accepts it. Even later, when he's going to Europe and he's like, 'hey, wanna come with.' he's like this cool uncle who's no longer cool, whose nephews have outgrown his antics or something. "No thanks man, catch you later." It was sad in a way, but so appropriate.

Alexander Pierce - It's interesting how he had this huge important part, but really, he just stays in the office. Redford could have shot all his scenes in a few weeks, honestly. He was serviceable, and his motivations were solid. But in the end, he was just a vehicle for the same speech that we've heard before: people are trading freedom for security. In the end, it goes unheeded, which is sad on a whole different level.

The Winter Soldier - some people complained there wasn't enough of him. I think he was what he should be. I don't think Sebastian Stan makes nearly as good a WS as he does Bucky Barnes, but he was serviceable and menacing and really kewl. He wasn't deep, but I wasn't expecting him to be deep, partly as he's a stoic bruiser, and partly because the MCU isn't very good with villains whose names don't end with -oki. Winter Soldier is certainly more well developed than Red Skull for instance.

The Falcon - Just all around cool. It's a little sad that he's only likeable because he's so very 'me too,' to the point that he knows he's Cap's sidekick, and he's so down with that. I like the self awareness though. They even gave him some depth, and he played low key at just the right times to be authentically cool. If only Mackie would do that in real life. :/

Agent 13/Sharon - I really, really loved what they did with her. They made you care about her even with just a little screen time. She was badass, even just the few moments she was around. Totally legit.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:07 PM   #25
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJM View Post

Great moment there too, I forgot about that. This movie had Jackson's best performance by far if you ask me. I thought I'd spoiled too much before going in - and maybe I did, but this movie had so many little twists and turns to keep you guessing in a great way. Nothing huge like the Mandarin reveal, but it was much more than your average summer blockbuster. It was nice to feel alive during one of these things.

Closed Thread