The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Comics

Old 07-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #76
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Default Re: The Build to ASM #700

That's a dumb reason to not like multiple books.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #77
THUNDERSTRIKE
COLBERT, GODDAMMIT!

now you take X-Men multiple titles...

now THAT'S just ridiculousness in every sense of the word...

talk about overkill on Marvel's part and utter despisal on mine...

I am created the Destroyer, Shatterer of the accursed Castle that shall collapse and crumble into a forgotten ruination.
So falls Zehnc Dee'Ya, the unstable B***hQueen, and
S'melya, her suckup, and Sleech, an ancient and savage Over
Seer.
The B***h lies in the guise of her deceptive words and lies helpless in the ruin of her useless life, unable to save herself.
None are so blind to the obvious truth than the misled travellers that gather within the halls of her Castle at Rotting Hill.

TYALYZE
THUNDERSTRIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #78
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
That's a dumb reason to not like multiple books.
Well, throughout the years, I bought all the books... some of them I enjoyed... others, not so much... but when they decided to 3xASM monthly, it just made things more "flowing"... in spite of some bad arcs/stories (yeah... I'm looking at you Bob Gale )

And I know it's a turn off yo many Bat-Fans out there...

In the end, regardless of what Marvel puts out 616-Spider-Man-wise, I'm probably going to buy it...

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Themanofbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #79
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

I will say this... I guess Spider-Man does have less facades than Batman does. I mean, you have solo Batman, Batman and Robin Batman, grimdark Batman, realistic Batman, etc.

Spider-Man's a bit more singular in his interpretations.

For me, the last Spider-Man runs I really thoroughly enjoyed were PAD's FNSM and Robert SA's Sensational.

CConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #80
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUNDERSTRIKE View Post
I've got you beat in the Spidey collecting... been on the bandwagon since 1964 and I haven't been really pleased with the book for at least the last 20 years, but I still kept on reading...

it had it's ups and downs and I would keep on DESPITE...

but as of the last 3-5 years or so, it's been having it's downs and even FURTHER downs in storylines and especially in the horrendous art department...

it's just been such a downhill slide that I'm almost to the point where with all the stories and plots I've been reading, it wouldn't break my heart in the least to see the title end and put it out of it's misery, which of course will never happen... but that's a pretty drastic statement and wish coming from someone like me who's been there since almost the very beginning, to see the book just end...

I just hate it to see the character of Spidey subjected to writers who have absolutely no idea what Spidey and his character is really about... I'm just tired of it all being so disappointing...

and YES, seeing how it's been and what's been done, I AM that angry at the way a character that I grew up with has fallen so dramatically in quality...

and it's all such a damn shame that a once-great character has really lost his greatness with no chance to recover it in the near foreseeable future...

ASM #700 sure won't be where it'll start...
Boy! And you thought I was old and cranky!

Yes, you have a 9 year jump ahead of me in the Spidey collecting department. And I understand what you say in other posts about it not being the same since the clone mess. For me, it started just before, with the return of Pete's "robo-parents" that led to the "I Am The Spider/Peter No More stuff.

And yes, there has been many "downs" since then. For me personally, the whole OMD/BND was the absolute bottom.

And I agree there have been a lot of bad writers and bad artists. But, I have to disagree about recent issues. I think Dan Slott has done a great job with both the character and stories. Pete is back to being intelligent and clever. He's lost that loser slacker quality slapped on him since BND. Things are even look promising with MJ. And the stories and plots have been well set up and show a great knowledge of continuity.

And I have loved the art lately. And yes, that includes the highly stylized art of Humberto Ramos. And I don't mean any disrespect for previous artists (I love Ross Andru, just check out my avatar!).

And if this new "sidekick" is the internet splitting thing, well, I might not like the idea, but it's hardly a OMD Part II. I'm just thankful it's not.

The Spectacular Spider-Man:
The BEST adaptation of the Spider-Man comics in any form
Spider-Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #81
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanofbat View Post
I get what you're trying to say, but by that rationale, the last good writet ASM had was Roger Stern... and I agree that the stories have been pretty rough since then... barring a few gems here and there... The JMS era was sub par in my opinion... BND was a breath of fresh air in spite of bad arcs here and there... And Dan Slott has been doing an excellent job... in my opinion

Spider-Man's stories certainly aren't what they used to be... but they never will... will they?
I thought David Michelinie did a pretty exceptional job with ASM for 3-4 year span.

runawayboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #82
Will Nolte
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder View Post
I thought David Michelinie did a pretty exceptional job with ASM for 3-4 year span.
I second that. Michelinie and Bags really got me into Spidey more than any other creative team out there.

Will Nolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #83
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

Micheline's run was kind mediocre with me... and Larson's art didn't help... as well as the Venom over-exposure...

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Themanofbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #84
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

I thought with Bagley is when his run began to lose steam as the good stories became few and far in between. His issue with McFarlane were classic and by the time Larsen cam on he was hitting his stride.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #85
THUNDERSTRIKE
COLBERT, GODDAMMIT!

Michs and Bags were pretty good...

Larson art makes me want to throw up...

the human body does NOT bend that way the way that Larson draws it...

I am created the Destroyer, Shatterer of the accursed Castle that shall collapse and crumble into a forgotten ruination.
So falls Zehnc Dee'Ya, the unstable B***hQueen, and
S'melya, her suckup, and Sleech, an ancient and savage Over
Seer.
The B***h lies in the guise of her deceptive words and lies helpless in the ruin of her useless life, unable to save herself.
None are so blind to the obvious truth than the misled travellers that gather within the halls of her Castle at Rotting Hill.

TYALYZE
THUNDERSTRIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:29 AM   #86
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

I liked Micheline's (is that how you spell it?) early Venom stories. Especially the one where Spidey and the V-Man tangle on that deserted island. Larson was highly stylized, but I actually like him better than McFarlane (and a helluva lot better than Ramos). Nothing beats Bags though. Bags could make a mediocre story seem like a decent comic solely thanks to the redeeming power of his awesome art.

JJJ's Ulcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:29 AM   #87
Will Nolte
Side-Kick

Bags is also a good storyteller as well. The way he does his layouts really helps move the story along.

Last edited by Will Nolte; 07-11-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Will Nolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #88
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Larsen's art was nowhere near as wild on his ASM run as it is today.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #89
Spidey_87
Side-Kick

Am I the only one that thinks someone else might die in issue 700? Slott has been teasing Ock's eventual demise since ASM 600, so that seems like it would be too predictable.

Also, it would be cool to see what Harry has been up to lately? We haven't seen him since he beat down that cop over a year or two ago?

Spidey_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #90
ben_reilly_s_s
Side-Kick

JJJ Sr is probably going the way of Ben Parker soon.
Also, why do I have this feeling that nearly everybody that ever died in Marvel Universe is somehow going to come back to life at the end of Avengers vs X-Men?

My 3DS friend code: 2492-4192-0317
My XboX GamerTag: KaineKinetic
ben_reilly_s_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:32 AM   #91
JJJ's Ulcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey_87 View Post
Am I the only one that thinks someone else might die in issue 700? Slott has been teasing Ock's eventual demise since ASM 600, so that seems like it would be too predictable.

Also, it would be cool to see what Harry has been up to lately? We haven't seen him since he beat down that cop over a year or two ago?
It was a really good idea to bring him back from the dead. Invalidating the classic Spectacular #200 is okay, because he's been used really well since he returned.

That's sarcasm, yeah.

"Your" is possessive, used to describe something you own; i.e "I borrowed your book."

"You're" is a contraction of "you" and "are." "You're looking tired today," would be an example of the correct usage.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #92
Spidey_87
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
It was a really good idea to bring him back from the dead. Invalidating the classic Spectacular #200 is okay, because he's been used really well since he returned.

That's sarcasm, yeah.
I completely agree with you. American Son was ok, but he has not really done anything since his return. It would be cool to see Harry and Norman fight to the bitter end, as in one or both of them finally dies.

Spidey_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #93
ben_reilly_s_s
Side-Kick

That happened in Ultimate Spider-Man...

My 3DS friend code: 2492-4192-0317
My XboX GamerTag: KaineKinetic
ben_reilly_s_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #94
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

" ...through circumstances strikingly similar to Peter Parker's origin: It seems that while on a school field trip to Peter's laboratory, young Andy is zapped by a malfunctioning invention that leaves him with superhuman abilities. Feeling responsible for the accident, Peter decides it's his duty to help Any discover and use his powers. "
" "What we try to do with the 50th anniversary of Spider-Man is we try to play with the original clay of the book," editor Steve Wacker said. "When Spider-Man was first created in the 1960s, there was no other superhero like him. Pop culture had never really taken teenagers into account. What Stan [Lee] and Steve [Ditko] did was sing to their angst, and we're trying to sort of modernize that." "
"Teen hero Spider-Man is now responsible for this teen hero sidekick. "
My guess is that with all this talk of responsibility, Spider-Man dies somehow (whether it be by GG like in USM, or by some other thing), and leaves the "great power/great responsibility" legacy to Alpha. Then Alpha replaces Spider-Man by either acting as Spider-Man, or simply the Spidey series ending and having Alpha begin. Obviously, they want a more modern hero, instead of keeping this hero after his (in my opinion)failure in OMD/BND.
Ideas on this?

Wadaltmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #95
Spidey_62
Eeeeeeeeeeelectro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey_87 View Post

I think Doc Ock's gonna die right before #700. Dan Slott revealed a while back that the story right before 700 in 698-699 is called "Dying Wish".

"So you don't like names, huh? Well that's too bad, Frog-Face. 'Cause to me you're nothing but a two-bit, no-account, second-rate, sewer-breath-baboon with a brain of a pigeon and the face of an eel!" ~ Spider-Man

DeviantArt. Art blog. Hype Art Thread. Twitter. Instagram. YouTube.

TIMESPACE.
Spidey_62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #96
JJJ's Ulcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
I think Doc Ock's gonna die right before #700.
And no one will care, because they know he'll be brought back in #750.

If we're lucky we'll get another cynical, fake "comic death." If we're unlucky they'll reboot Spidey or replace him with his sidekick Alpha, which is the rumor du jour.

"Your" is possessive, used to describe something you own; i.e "I borrowed your book."

"You're" is a contraction of "you" and "are." "You're looking tired today," would be an example of the correct usage.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #97
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
I think Doc Ock's gonna die right before #700. Dan Slott revealed a while back that the story right before 700 in 698-699 is called "Dying Wish".
Perhaps it is Peter Parker's death? And he wishes that Alpha give something to Aunt May (reveal identity) or MJ or something, or for Alpha to become a super hero in his place.
Eh, yeah, Doc Ock will die very soon though.
Also, I think that Alpha could not "replace" Spidey... he could, though, be a superhero instead of Spidey... he might not even have the same powers as Spidey.

Wadaltmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #98
JJJ's Ulcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadaltmon View Post
Perhaps it is Peter Parker's death? And he wishes that Alpha give something to Aunt May (reveal identity) or MJ or something, or for Alpha to become a super hero in his place.
Eh, yeah, Doc Ock will die very soon though.
Also, I think that Alpha could not "replace" Spidey... he could, though, be a superhero instead of Spidey... he might not even have the same powers as Spidey.
But then without his powers and costume, he can't star in a comic titled Spider-Man.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #99
ParkerPeters
Mighty Amazing

At this point, I am hoping for a reboot. This universe is so ****ed.

ParkerPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:22 AM   #100
DACrowe
Side-Kick

So wait, is it true the "Internet shattering" #700 is giving Spidey a...sidekick?

Yeah, like that won't be retconned after five issues. <wipes away tears from laughter.> Besides did anybody tell Slott that Black Cat was basically Spidey's partner/sidekick (as well as FWB) for like 5 years in the '80s before he married MJ? I guess they hope you forget that stuff.

Yeah, OMD/BND ran me off Spidey. I came here to find out if the "shattering" event was ending that schtick. Nope, it's a sidekick. Wow. Maybe in another 100 issues, Spidey. Until then, stay boring.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote