The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America 3

Old 10-13-2014, 08:26 PM   #1
SCC
Side-Kick

Default The Iron Man Thread (Cap 3 Edition)

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/ro...ve-1201312229/

SCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:40 PM   #2
punishermax
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Iron Man Thread

Mother of God.....in the immortal words of Bobcat Goldthwait....I just pooped a little.

punishermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:54 PM   #3
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

I hope Downey isn't going to overshadow Evans in his own movie, though. That's probably my biggest concern.

Is it going to end with the death of Captain America?

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:56 PM   #4
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
I hope Downey isn't going to overshadow Evans in his own movie, though. That's probably my biggest concern.

Is it going to end with the death of Captain America?
I think he will.

Which is why, barring this news being swiftly revealed to be fake, I'm washing my hands of this movie.

BullMcGiveny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:21 PM   #5
WilliamK99
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post
I think he will.

Which is why, barring this news being swiftly revealed to be fake, I'm washing my hands of this movie.
Before the first scene is even shot? Overreact much?

WilliamK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:24 PM   #6
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamK99 View Post
Before the first scene is even shot? Overreact much?
I'm plain dislike Iron Man as a character.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:37 PM   #7
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Okay, so. . . is there any *actual* evidence for a Civil War plotline? Anyone?

As near as I can see, RDJ being a cast member of Cap 3 is the only actual fact here. The rest is almost epically random speculation based on nothing.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:39 PM   #8
HarryOsborn
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm plain dislike Iron Man as a character.
73-93% on rotten tomatoes and 2/5 films grossing billion+ dollars says the public/critics disagree.

HarryOsborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:02 PM   #9
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

My only hope is that if this does adapt the Civil War story line, that Stark doesn't end up coming out on top in this film like he did in the comic book arc.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:05 PM   #10
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryOsborn View Post
73-93% on rotten tomatoes and 2/5 films grossing billion+ dollars says the public/critics disagree.
Which is why I'm washing my hands of this movie.

Iron Man is just not on the list I remotely want to see in a Cap movie. Certainly not when his involvement will come at the cost of the marginalization of characters that I do want to see.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:08 PM   #11
WilliamK99
Side-Kick

Quote:

Iron Man is just not on the list I remotely want to see in a Cap movie. Certainly not when his involvement will come at the cost of the marginalization of characters that I do want to see.
You know this how? Seriously, this is only a rumor at this point and you are making some pretty wide assumptions... You know what they say when you make an assumption....

WilliamK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:09 PM   #12
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Murdock View Post
Also my biggest concern. If they allow Downey to be the antagonist of the film, sympathetic though he may be, it could be pretty awesome. But if Marvel are true to form, and they're always true to form, Downey will be set up to steal scenes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryOsborn View Post
They disagree that BullMcGiveny doesn't like Iron Man? I've never seen a word about that on Rotten Tomatoes.

DrCosmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:19 PM   #13
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamK99 View Post
You know this how? Seriously, this is only a rumor at this point and you are making some pretty wide assumptions... You know what they say when you make an assumption....
If it does turn out to be true, my faith will be restored. But if Iron Man is in it in more than a cameo then yeah, I believe he'll be set to steal the spotlight, and Cap's supporting cast will be sidelined.

Some things you don't need to wait and see. People said the same about SHIELD and Natasha in Cap2 and eventually it wa as much Natasha's story as it was Steve's, while Bucky was a henchman, Sam was a tagalong sidekick and Sharon was an extra.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:21 PM   #14
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

It's always interesting to hear about Perlmutter and how he runs things.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:23 PM   #15
Broseph44
We Are Groot

Quote:
I think he will.

Quote:

Quote:
If it does turn out to be true, my faith will be restored. But if Iron Man is in it in more than a cameo then yeah, I believe he'll be set to steal the spotlight, and Cap's supporting cast will be sidelined.

Some things you don't need to wait and see. People said the same about SHIELD and Natasha in Cap2 and eventually it wa as much Natasha's story as it was Steve's, while Bucky was a henchman, Sam was a tagalong sidekick and Sharon was an extra.

Ahhhhhh jumping to conclusions and overreacting over a movie that hasn't even filmed one scene. Always good.

I believe in Ben Affleck.

Hal: Were we ever truly friends?
Sinestro: That’s the tragedy of all of this, Jordan. Hal, we’ll always be friends.
Broseph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:56 PM   #16
Marvel
Side-Kick

This is what I said to do all along the minute the WB tried to bully the release date away from Marvel. Maybe it was always the plan and the WB got wind of it. That is a big part of the reason Batffleck v Superman ran away.

I just pray the story itself has impact. The reason it was so emotional in print is because Tony and Steve were friends for years. In the MCU, they barely know each other.

I also love the fact that maybe they can write it so that Winter Soldier was behind the death of Tony's parents (making it look like a car accident) and that would give Steve more reason to clash with Tony.

Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:58 PM   #17
TheLastAvenger
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Also my biggest concern. If they allow Downey to be the antagonist of the film, sympathetic though he may be, it could be pretty awesome. But if Marvel are true to form, and they're always true to form, Downey will be set up to steal scenes.
Marvel's form is to make smart moves, which they've made consistently from Day 1. And shoehorning in a character into an already successful film franchise is not a smart move, especially when said character costs them an enormous amount of money. You don't put Iron Man in a Cap film to be snarky and spout one-liners. You put Iron Man in a Cap film so the two can have conflict. If they hired him to steal scenes, they'd have just made Iron Man 4. It'd be an easy billion for them.

Give Marvel more credit than that. Whether you like what they do or not, they've shown an incredible ability to use their franchises in a way that makes them the most financially viable. And you don't promote that by cannibilizing them. It's a short-sighted move that *ahem* lesser companies fall into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph44 View Post
Ahhhhhh jumping to conclusions and overreacting over a movie that hasn't even filmed one scene. Always good.
Considering his skewed perspective on Cap 2, something tells me he'll find his assumption to be true whether it is or not. It's not worth debating him about it.

Last edited by TheLastAvenger; 10-13-2014 at 11:09 PM.
TheLastAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:00 PM   #18
Heretic
Side-Kick

My assumption is that Avengers 2 ends with Cap and Tony not seeing eye to eye (after all...Cap just had to take down SHIELD, who were supposed to protect the world...and then he had to immediately take down Ultron, created by Stark who gave himself the authority to protect the world...that would be awfully frustrating). Cap could be ticked enough to create his own team of Avengers.

This appearance would be a good way to START what would become a full blown Civil War a few years later.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:05 PM   #19
Farren
Side Kicker

ILU Tony but please stay home for this one.

There is no reason for him to be in this movie. Cap 2 was getting crowded already. And it sounds like Cap 3 is being written around shoving Iron Man in there. That's not a good way to make a movie. Look at what happened when Sony pushed for SM3 to be OMG TEH EPIC and also include Venom? This is not a good sign. Marvel should be giving their filmmakers MORE freedom, not more micromanaging from a cooperate committee.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:33 PM   #20
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Well this came as a surprise, I hope this doesn't alter The Winter Soldier's involvement and instead sees Cap and Iron Man at odds over what to do about him, since I've always thought the last movie planted the seeds that he killed Howard Stark.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:33 PM   #21
justanotherguy
Side-Kick

although I've always thought these smaller team-ups were a matter of when not if, it is too soon for Marvel to tell Civil War. The Infinity Gauntlet needs to happen after this build up.

It's almost as if MCU is mirroring "Event Overload" like the 616. Secret Wars and Civil War next year?

justanotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:50 PM   #22
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Does anyone know how much Evans gets paid?

Because I don't think it's 40 mil.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:15 AM   #23
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Iron Man Thread (Cap 3 Edition)

Kudos I guess--

but plot-wise-- we've just seen Cap go "renegade" and basically destroy SHIELD in a very public way. In Iron Man 2, we saw Tony resist government conscription, then the compromise was to give them War Machine.

At this point, I'm not sure how the Civil War plot angle would even be handled. There aren't even a bunch of various super-heroes (or villains) roaming society yet. Everyone on the Avengers-- with the possible semi-exception of the Hulk-- has a public identity. Just who the heck is the the Super Human Registration Act supposed to apply to, really?

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:18 AM   #24
Heretic
Side-Kick

There is no rule that this Civil War has to be sparked by the same reasons as the comic version.

And it isn't like the War will happen in Cap 3. The Thanos arc started in Phase 1 and likely won't be concluded until the end of Phase 3. Why do so many people think that Civil War will be hinted at, developed and concluded all in one movie?

Last edited by Heretic; 10-14-2014 at 12:52 AM.
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:40 AM   #25
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

we'll see. Bah. I want to see the Grand Director in part 3.

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote