The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America 3

Old 06-27-2014, 05:12 AM   #1
harryoscop
Symbol of hope

Default The inevitable Release date discussion

I just wanna get this over with, i really hope they change it.

harryoscop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:43 AM   #2
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Default Re: The inevitable Release date discussion

Its not going to change soon, IMO. Not only is there still a lot of time before release, but Marvel has a strong incentive not to change. If they do, it'll basically be open season for everyone to poach their release dates.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryoscop View Post
I just wanna get this over with, i really hope they change it.
why would they? they have nothing to lose here.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:12 PM   #4
Flint Marko
Money never sleeps

At this point it's all conjecture but I think odds are WB will budge first.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #5
Magic Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Its not going to change soon, IMO. Not only is there still a lot of time before release, but Marvel has a strong incentive not to change. If they do, it'll basically be open season for everyone to poach their release dates.
Except it's not their release date. I'm probably in the minority, but I'd love to see what happens on opening weekend if BvS and CA3 debut together. I'd go to both, and so would many others. Maybe one film or both would lose overall box office, I dunno. But what a contest to witness! Pretty exciting stuff.

Magic Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:23 AM   #6
Poetic Chaos
Hella fetch.

MOS2 vs CA3 would be a competition. Avengers vs JLA would be a competition. BvS is just gonna straight up win again CA3. It just comes down to how much overall box office they're willing to lose over it.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:09 PM   #7
Bert
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Chaos View Post
MOS2 vs CA3 would be a competition. Avengers vs JLA would be a competition. BvS is just gonna straight up win again CA3. It just comes down to how much overall box office they're willing to lose over it.
I disagree... BvS is the entire franchise for DC. Cap is just one of several horses in Marvel's stable. If Cap can steal any of BvS' fanfare its a win.

Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:37 PM   #8
doink
Moonlight Legend

In the end one of them will change their release date and they won't actually end up going against each other the same day.

I feel WB should move BvS (vWWvCvA) because they have way more riding on that movie than Marvel does with Cap 3.

doink's MCU ranking: 1. The Avengers, 2. CA:TWS, 3. GoTG, 4. Iron Man, 5. Thor, 6. IM3, 7. CA:TFA, 8. Thor:TDW, 9. IM2, 10. TIH
doink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:22 PM   #9
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. But BvS has more to lose here. They are putting all their eggs in one basket to get this franchise started, WB can't actually afford this movie to lose money to Cap 3 while on the other hand Cap 3 is just one more movie of an overall very strong performing megafranchise. They haven't had a financial flop yet to the point where it doesn't matter that much how much money Cap 3 makes as long as it isn't a total disaster (which it won't be) and from a marketing point of view every cent Cap 3 makes is a cent WB failed to make with a movie that features Bats, Supes, Wonder Woman, Cyborg and Aquaman.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:07 PM   #10
Bert
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. But BvS has more to lose here. They are putting all their eggs in one basket to get this franchise started, WB can't actually afford this movie to lose money to Cap 3 while on the other hand Cap 3 is just one more movie of an overall very strong performing megafranchise. They haven't had a financial flop yet to the point where it doesn't matter that much how much money Cap 3 makes as long as it isn't a total disaster (which it won't be) and from a marketing point of view every cent Cap 3 makes is a cent WB failed to make with a movie that features Bats, Supes, Wonder Woman, Cyborg and Aquaman.

After Winter Soldier, there should be no doubts about Cap 3. They are keeping the same writers and directors... I'm confident that they'll knock it out of the park again

Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:02 AM   #11
Poetic Chaos
Hella fetch.

I have no doubt that Cap 3 will be a higher quality/better movie. But Batman and Superman together is just too much of an event for CA3 to win total gross. There are no moral victories at the box office.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:58 AM   #12
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Someone will move at some point.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:40 PM   #13
harryoscop
Symbol of hope

I just hope one of them moves, or they will both lose money.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:05 AM   #14
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

I hope Cap3 moves back a few months to July, for no other reason than to give them more time to develop the script and make the best film possible.

Defend night-flight sites...
Trap clamped, snared for pyres...

Witchtripper...
Witchtripper...
Moridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:11 PM   #15
iambranded
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
I disagree... BvS is the entire franchise for DC. Cap is just one of several horses in Marvel's stable. If Cap can steal any of BvS' fanfare its a win.

I agree.....
BvS need all the good vibes and sales as possible....they are banking their entire universe on this movie....
Where Cap in his 3rd installment.....makes a dent in DC's armor...its a win for Cap

iambranded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:34 PM   #16
Raiden
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
I have no doubt that Cap 3 will be a higher quality/better movie. But Batman and Superman together is just too much of an event for CA3 to win total gross. There are no moral victories at the box office.
Cap 3 won't win the head-to-head battle, but if it can deny BvS from making as much money as Avengers it'd be perceived as a victory. BvS may as well be called JL because they have put way too many JL heroes in there, despite what the title may suggest. If it doesn't make Avengers money, people will say that it failed in its goal.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #17
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Cap 3 won't win the head-to-head battle, but if it can deny BvS from making as much money as Avengers it'd be perceived as a victory. BvS may as well be called JL because they have put way too many JL heroes in there, despite what the title may suggest. If it doesn't make Avengers money, people will say that it failed in its goal.
And remember, its not just a matter of public reaction. WB themselves have been skittish before; a SvB that doesn't meet their ( probably unrealistic? ) expectations will likely set off another wave of dithering and rewrites.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:15 AM   #18
fixxxer
Side-Kick

BvS won't make Avengers money! It will, in all probability, hit a billion dollars unless reviews/WOM are utter crap (which may not be out of the question) but there's absolutely no way it threatens the Avengers's BO position.

It isn't a question of simply slapping together a couple of (albeit extremely popular) heroes and expecting it to destroy at the BO. It's about carefully planning, orchestrating and executing your vision over multiple films. Marvel Studios did this and were rewarded with the Avengers, and the overwhelmingly positive reception to their subsequent films. If the rumors are true, this is something WB/DC is only now starting to attempt.

If they're as intelligent, meticulous, and yes, awesome as Marvel were as they go about their process they deserve and will achieve all the success in the world. Else, it will turn out to be an unsustainable cheap trick that yields diminishing returns at the BO... much like Spidey in his current iteration.

fixxxer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #19
samsnee
Side-Kick

I dunno. Transformers 3 made a billion. There's no accounting for tastes.

samsnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:55 AM   #20
Rorschach2012
$

BvS will slaughter this movie if Cap 3 stays. I want both movies to be successful. But Marvel should move.. there's no way they win this one. It'd negatively impact BvS' box office, but at the detriment of Cap 3.

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #21
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsnee View Post
I dunno. Transformers 3 made a billion. There's no accounting for tastes.
Transformers benefits from *far* more nostalgia factor than this would.

Also, its still being directed by Snyder and written by Goyer. I see zero reason to assume it will review any better, *unless* Affleck basically takes over the creative direction. And given that MoS was insanely front-loaded. . . points towards MoS only doing so well because the strong marketing got everyone out on day 1. Strong marketing can only do so much when you now have an objective reason for expecting poor quality.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:31 AM   #22
Mandon Knight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryoscop View Post
I just hope one of them moves, or they will both lose money.
CB Fans will see both films so the 'one will lose money' issue I think isn't as prevlant as people are making out.

Mandon Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:48 AM   #23
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Marvel has an established screen brand. They're following up on the critically acclaimed and bankable CATWS.

DC have Superman and Batman.

DC is obviously making a symbolic move, going one on one with Marvel and likely winning, but there's probably no way they'll make the kind of serious bank they want.

I think it'd be best if both chose a new (different release date).

Honestly, I'm less worried with how much CA3 grosses and more what it'll mean to CA3's pre-production. I don't want Marvel to try and go too big with quantity over quality.

BullMcGiveny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:35 PM   #24
harryoscop
Symbol of hope

I think DC should move to July or something, because honestly it'll hurt both of them, and prevent both of them from reaching it's full box office potential.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:41 AM   #25
kobol72

Probably july.

kobol72 is offline   Reply With Quote