The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Old 03-28-2014, 07:28 AM   #176
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Default Re: Crossbones

Grillo was awesome in this. Totally nailed it and I cant wait to see him as Crossbones, as opposed to just Agent Rumlow.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:03 AM   #177
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Disappointing he had not crossbones mask or make up. I avoided everything about Cap 2 before going in and didn't know he was Crossbones before coming to this thread.

spider-neil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:13 AM   #178
M-2
Ultimate BAMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
Disappointing he had not crossbones mask or make up. I avoided everything about Cap 2 before going in and didn't know he was Crossbones before coming to this thread.
I think thats just something to look forward to in Cap 3... Many people won't realise that Rumlow is actually going to be made into one of Caps coolest villains.

Im sure in Cap 3, he will look a lot like the Crossbones we all know and love.

Grillo was awesome!

FILMRAPS.BLOGSPOT.COM
M-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:30 AM   #179
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Braddock View Post
Grillo was awesome in this. Totally nailed it and I cant wait to see him as Crossbones, as opposed to just Agent Rumlow.
I can't believe Grillo is 50 years old.

Frank Grillo's Homefront character reminds me of Crossbones as well.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:17 AM   #180
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

50??!!!!!!

Jeezuz, does HE have the SSS running through his veins?

50. wow.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:14 PM   #181
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Gotta take care of yourself, man. That's all that is.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:27 PM   #182
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
He's signed a 3 picture deal so I actually think the way they have introduced him in this movie is ideal, then when he comes Crossbones in Cap 3 it will have more impact as he faces Cap, especially given he seemed to have a respect for Cap. Plus with Winter Solider already in the film it didn't need two merc assassin types for Cap to face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
The man keeps himself in great condition.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #183
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Gotta take care of yourself, man. That's all that is.
say your prayers and take your vitamins

Old 03-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #184
Loki882
Side-Kick

Or pull a Hugh Jackman and work out like a madman.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:59 PM   #185
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

So glad that Grillo's getting recognition. I can't think of another actor who I'd want as Rumlow.

He's a great addition to the MCU.

Suzanne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:14 PM   #186
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I liked him way more than Alexander Pierce.

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:30 AM   #187
Ajendo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post

Frank Grillo's Homefront character reminds me of Crossbones as well.
I was just about to post this. He looks incredible for a 50 years old. He could pass for mid to late 30s.

Tyrion: I wish to confess...
Ajendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:02 AM   #188
Loki882
Side-Kick

I wonder if he'll join up with Baron von Strucker in a future movie? In the comics, Crossbones is the Red Skull's protégé/employee, so this could be a cool nod to that. Plus, I don't really see Crossbones as a "mastermind" villain by himself.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:06 AM   #189
The Endless
Side-Kick

Yea Crossbones is the prototypical "dragon". He's not a villain on his own. Grillo is an underrated actor and what i've seen of him so far i have no doubt he'll impress.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:47 AM   #190
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

He was great in this. Based on the clips and the trailers where he seemed like a decent enough man I wondered how they would turn him into the Crossbones from the comics and they did it well.

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5 2. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5 3. X-Men: Days of Future Past 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
But Captain America: The Winter Soldier wins. Everything. My first born son, even. It's the unicorn of the MCU.
Ms. Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:46 AM   #191
DaddlerTheDalek
Starship Captain

Grillo was really great in this. Can't wait to see him as Crossbones in Cap 3.

DaddlerTheDalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:52 AM   #192
Loki882
Side-Kick

Now just bring in Sin and have them become Bonnie & Clyde, only MUCH more violent and psychotic. Do it Marvel. I'll admit to finding their relationship kind of fun in an evil and psychotic kind of way.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:55 PM   #193
Drz
Real Hero

Loved Crossbones in this movie, he and Batroc we're kick-ass thugs.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:13 AM   #194
seishin87
Side-Kick

Having seen the film I'm impressed. Looking forward to seeing Grillo again in Cap 3 or 4 hopefully. Perhaps he might even be in AoE? One observation...

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Usually when someone gets consumed by falling concrete and rubble they get turned into hamburger. The fact that Rumlow is still in one piece, although kinda burned up makes me wonder if he might have some form of the SSS flowing through his veins too?

seishin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:41 AM   #195
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Funnilly enough I grew up kinda assuming that Crossbones was augmented in some fashion, as he always seemed to be able to match Cap beat for beat. In the context of this movie, I was surprised that Rumlow was able to lay his taser-stick on Cap for the 2nd time, in exactly the same manner as the 1st. Surely Cap wouldve saw that coming? Maybe they gave Rumlow a derivative of the SSS thats not as great (why he needed the chute when Cap didnt) but also made him a bit mental (kinda similiar to Blonsky but different so no mutation of bones)?

Old 04-04-2014, 07:06 AM   #196
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Funnilly enough I grew up kinda assuming that Crossbones was augmented in some fashion, as he always seemed to be able to match Cap beat for beat. In the context of this movie, I was surprised that Rumlow was able to lay his taser-stick on Cap for the 2nd time, in exactly the same manner as the 1st. Surely Cap wouldve saw that coming? Maybe they gave Rumlow a derivative of the SSS thats not as great (why he needed the chute when Cap didnt) but also made him a bit mental (kinda similiar to Blonsky but different so no mutation of bones)?
He struggled quite a bit in that fight with Sam.

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5 2. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5 3. X-Men: Days of Future Past 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
But Captain America: The Winter Soldier wins. Everything. My first born son, even. It's the unicorn of the MCU.
Ms. Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:43 AM   #197
seishin87
Side-Kick

Quote:
In the comics I don't recall if they ever outright stated if he had augmentation done. If there is I may have not read that bit yet or don't remember. For the most part his origin has changed. He was a violent street thug who became a mercenary hired by a Red Skull to kill the Red Skull. I think Red Skull wound up training him. Since you mention the word "augmented" makes me think of the Power Broker who was operating at around the time Crossbones appeared in the comics. Even though the SSS presence has been established by TIH and AOS, maybe they could introduce another method in the form of the Power Broker and Jackson and Malus. Could pave the way for John Walker/US Agent's introduction too if they want to use that character at some point.

If it is a form of the SSS used on Rumlow, it's been shown that the effects are variable. Maybe his body is physically hard to destroy but his strength and endurance could vary.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:57 AM   #198
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
He struggled quite a bit in that fight with Sam.
They didnt show much of it and it ended up with Rumlow throwing Sam over a desk though. Hardly emphatic but I woudlnt say he struggled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seishin87 View Post
In the comics I don't recall if they ever outright stated if he had augmentation done. If there is I may have not read that bit yet or don't remember. For the most part his origin has changed. He was a violent street thug who became a mercenary hired by a Red Skull to kill the Red Skull. I think Red Skull wound up training him. Since you mention the word "augmented" makes me think of the Power Broker who was operating at around the time Crossbones appeared in the comics. Even though the SSS presence has been established by TIH and AOS, maybe they could introduce another method in the form of the Power Broker and Jackson and Malus. Could pave the way for John Walker/US Agent's introduction too if they want to use that character at some point.

If it is a form of the SSS used on Rumlow, it's been shown that the effects are variable. Maybe his body is physically hard to destroy but his strength and endurance could vary.
Thats exactly it, theres so much room for them to go with the SSS and the attempts to replicate it. Genuinely exited with the rumour about Cap 3 featuring (to some degree) the 50´s Cap that went mad. Ive always been fascinated by Marvels super-soldiers and the varying success of the attempts, power levels etc. Would be great to see that handled on screen.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:22 AM   #199
seishin87
Side-Kick

Quote:
Thats exactly it, theres so much room for them to go with the SSS and the attempts to replicate it. Genuinely exited with the rumour about Cap 3 featuring (to some degree) the 50´s Cap that went mad. Ive always been fascinated by Marvels super-soldiers and the varying success of the attempts, power levels etc. Would be great to see that handled on screen.
There's a lot of stuff there. Burnside's story is very interesting and it's cool they tied it in to the very anachronistic "Commie Smasher" run. I always thought the story arc where Burnside and Monroe kidnap Steve and Sharon was very cinematic or I could see parts of it working as a film. Especially the confrontation in Miami. But yeah there is actually quite a few alternate anti-Caps. Walker is more an anti-hero than an outright villain. There's Protocide who was right before Steve. Then the modern ONI created Navy seal Cap which is probably my favorite. It's interesting because he's Navy and he technically outranks Steve. They used the whole guilt over Buckey's death in that case although that would seem redundant and possibly pointless since this is happening post TWS. I would even say Steve's encounter with the ONI Cap kinda foreshadows some of the themes explored in Brubaker's Winter soldier arc. The only thing is because these characters are all kind of similar they might not all see adaptions. I could see them taking and combing elements from several of the Anti-Caps and making hybrid or they could go the stated Marvel way of making it the biggest and most exciting possible by putting everything in it and we might get a movie where Steve has to face off against not one but several alternate Caps over the course of the story. Maybe all three. Cap's biggest enemy is... himself?

Old 04-04-2014, 02:20 PM   #200
Spider-Vader
Groot and Branches

I loved the set-up for his mask at the end of the movie. One of the cooler easter eggs that I noticed.