The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America 3

Old 04-04-2014, 02:24 PM   #201
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Default Re: Crossbones

I think the award goes to him for biggest a** in the movie.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #202
Glassjaw
In training

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I didn't mind the fact that he didn't get a mask and his 'Crossbones' persona yet. They have to save some cool stuff for the third one! It'll be cooler for audiences when they see this guy is still kicking and now sporting a bad ass mask

Glassjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #203
Enriquespy
Side-Kick

I saw the movie in french, and not until now did I noticed which one was supposed to be crossbones and which one was supposed to be machete.

"Evening, Commmmmmmmmmmmmmmissionerrrrrrrr"

Enriquespy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #204
Loki882
Side-Kick

Man, he was a dick in this movie. Which is funny because in his earlier scenes he seemed like a decent guy.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:57 PM   #205
LordMortis315
Side-Kick

As far as henchmen go, he's one of the memorable ones.

LordMortis315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:00 PM   #206
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by seishin87 View Post
In the comics I don't recall if they ever outright stated if he had augmentation done. If there is I may have not read that bit yet or don't remember. For the most part his origin has changed. He was a violent street thug who became a mercenary hired by a Red Skull to kill the Red Skull. I think Red Skull wound up training him. Since you mention the word "augmented" makes me think of the Power Broker who was operating at around the time Crossbones appeared in the comics. Even though the SSS presence has been established by TIH and AOS, maybe they could introduce another method in the form of the Power Broker and Jackson and Malus. Could pave the way for John Walker/US Agent's introduction too if they want to use that character at some point.

If it is a form of the SSS used on Rumlow, it's been shown that the effects are variable. Maybe his body is physically hard to destroy but his strength and endurance could vary.
Don't forget that he also raped a then teenaged Diamondback. Yeah, Crossbones is an a-hole.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:21 PM   #207
eikerir
Side-Kick

I loved when he went to fight Falcon and took off his vest that he had two straps crossing over his chest forming an X.

eikerir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:35 PM   #208
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Grillo was great in this, he played a very good henchman, and I cant wait to see what they do with him next, dont know much about Crossbones, but I am looking forward to seeing what they do with him.

Also, Grillo is 50 years old! I knew he wasnt a youngster but 50? Thats crazy.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:39 PM   #209
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman

Grillo was fantastic. He is my favorite henchmen in the MCU so far.

Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:15 PM   #210
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Grillo was great in this, he played a very good henchman, and I cant wait to see what they do with him next, dont know much about Crossbones, but I am looking forward to seeing what they do with him.

Also, Grillo is 50 years old! I knew he wasnt a youngster but 50? Thats crazy.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Quick history of Crossbones from the comics. Brock Rumlow was the leader of a violent street gang in NYC. He captured, tortured, and probably raped the then-15 year old Rachel Leighton (Cap's future GF Diamondback), then killed one of her brothers when two of them assaulted him in revenge. He eventually became the protégé or the Red Skull (who gave him the codename Crossbones). He worked as Red Skull's chief enforcer and was sent to bring back Red Skull's daughter Sin (who had been "pacified" by SHIELD mind-wipes). He turned her back into her old self by torturing her, then they became lovers and helped execute Red Skull's plan to kill Cap after Civil War. He was also a member of the Thunderbolts for awhile, but was too sociopathic for that group.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:24 PM   #211
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

Grillo was amazing, and it is a testimony on the fantastic work by the Russo Bros. when even a secondary villain who hasn't donned his mask and alias can still be so compelling, unlike *that* villain from TDW. I'm glad they saved the Crossbones persona until Cap 3, because he will be awesome like WS when he is finally introduced with his mask on.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:42 PM   #212
seishin87
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Don't forget that he also raped a then teenaged Diamondback. Yeah, Crossbones is an a-hole.
Yeah I know what you're talking about. I actually didn't mention that because I didn't want to be too spoilery for those who haven't read the comics but yeah, they don't really say if he raped her but it looked like she was all beat up, it came across as a more physical attack, and if I remember correctly she may have been beaten by the whole gang. Typically to be a part of a street gang, you're "jumped in" meaning beaten to a bloody pulp and if you can take that, you're in. Rachel was kinda sucked into Rumlow's violent world. There was one line from her brother that kinda made it sound like she was raped or violated, but then again it's the idea that a 15 year old girl would be subjected to that kinda of violence is disturbing. And that's not the end of it. She gets taken hostage by Crossbones and brainwashed while Cap was off dealing with Galactic Storm. Then there's Cutthroat.

seishin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:20 AM   #213
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Comic writers write weird stuff sometimes

http://panels-of-interest.tumblr.com...rossbones-from

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:33 AM   #214
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

Remember what happened to Mockingbird and Ms. Marvel too before Marvel sort of reconning those events?

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:56 AM   #215
seishin87
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Comic writers write weird stuff sometimes

http://panels-of-interest.tumblr.com...rossbones-from

From that panel it's pretty clear what the intention of that was. I only read that story once a while ago and remember the depiction of her face all beat up and the comment of getting jumped and beaten made me question the exact nature of the assault. The thing is the comics get very weird and inconstant at times. It seemed like they would push the limits of the code and then back peddle. I could be wrong but I got the impression that they may have tried to downplay the sexual aspect of the attack as the arc progressed. It may or may not have been directly referenced again. There was the story with Mother Night/Sin at the camp where Steve goes undercover as a kid. Basically there's a bit where a young girls neck is snapped in one issue only for it to be revealed as an illusion in the next . It's stuff like that that makes it hard to keep things straight sometimes.

As far as Crossbones goes, he's pretty clearly a sexual sadist. It's not just that he most likely raped Diamondback, and I'm not defending this guy he's twisted and evil, but the crazy thing about it is Rachel was pretty much willing to give herself to him if it meant she could be a part of the gang that her brother had fallen in with. That's how desperate she was to fit in. She was willing to compromise and that is an aspect of her character in general and why she's kinda more ambiguous and establishes what she's about. The disturbing thing about Rumlow is he's revealed to not only be a sexual predator, but also a violent sexual sadist. Even if she slept with him willing, he still brutalized her in a very savage way. A girl who in a weird way may have even been attracted to Rumlow in some perverse way. There's a lot of Stockholm Syndrome type stuff built into that arc that was revisited again in the modern stories like Red Menace. So yeah you're right. The comic writers are weird like that.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:59 AM   #216
Loki882
Side-Kick

There's also his royally messed up "romance" with the Red Skull's daughter Sin.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:18 AM   #217
seishin87
Side-Kick

Quote:
There's also his royally messed up "romance" with the Red Skull's daughter Sin.

I didn't forget to mention that. Hence the Stockholm Syndrome themes and the modern stuff from Red Menace . The topic seems to more along the lines of the Diamondback/Rumlow history so I only just hinted at it. Personally I'd rather see them do stuff The Bloodstone Hunt before doing some more of the more modern stories. I have a soft spot for Gruenwald's work from around that time.

Anyone notice how they kind of incorporated some aspects of what happened to Rumlow at that point in the comics. At the end of the Diamondback arc Crossbones was defeated when he was struck by debris from a building that exploded after a helicopter had crashed into it, also setting his back on fire. It's actually kinda funny what happened to Rumlow. And then in TWS he gets burned up by the falling debris caused by the crashing helicarrier. It's done very differently but the very loose idea is there.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:53 AM   #218
Six
Six Six Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Grillo was amazing, and it is a testimony on the fantastic work by the Russo Bros. when even a secondary villain who hasn't donned his mask and alias can still be so compelling, unlike *that* villain from TDW. I'm glad they saved the Crossbones persona until Cap 3, because he will be awesome like WS when he is finally introduced with his mask on.
And the scarring is a perfect excuse for the mask. I love what the Russos have done with the secondary characters. I don't think any of us were really expecting to see Zola again and look what they did with him here. I can't wait to see Crossbones in all his glory in the sequel. He's just gotta be in it.

I could see someone like Strucker giving him some sort of augmentation in the sequel. As formidable he is in this one, after having a helicarrier crash on top of him it will probably take a lot more than some squats to prepare himself to go up against Cap again

Last edited by Six; 04-05-2014 at 02:59 AM.
Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:18 AM   #219
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six View Post
And the scarring is a perfect excuse for the mask. I love what the Russos have done with the secondary characters. I don't think any of us were really expecting to see Zola again and look what they did with him here. I can't wait to see Crossbones in all his glory in the sequel. He's just gotta be in it.

I could see someone like Strucker giving him some sort of augmentation in the sequel. As formidable he is in this one, after having a helicarrier crash on top of him it will probably take a lot more than some squats to prepare himself to go up against Cap again
I was fully expecting Zola in this movie. Just not in the form he was in, can't wait to see him "upgraded".

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:49 AM   #220
seishin87
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
I was fully expecting Zola in this movie. Just not in the form he was in, can't wait to see him "upgraded".
Yep. Same here. You saw that USB port? Pierce may have "lost Zola" but there's no saying that someone couldn't have downloaded a copy to an external hard drive, or maybe even a few copies. Wouldn't be surprised to see Zola going "viral" so to speak. And there's the Blueprints from TFA still. That's a seed, "upgrade" that hasn't been utilized yet.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:40 AM   #221
The Endless
WE are Groot

All the side characters had great parts in this film. Especially Grillo. Haven't seen a proper dragon like that in a while. He was well characterised. You could tell he did actually have respect for Cap, maybe even a little fear. But he was unquestioning in his loyalty to HYDRA. Even after seeing what they were doing to Bucky. Grillo really sold the idea that Rumlow truly believes in what they are doing, even if how they get there is questionable.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:31 AM   #222
Incredible Hans
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enriquespy View Post
I saw the movie in french, and not until now did I noticed which one was supposed to be crossbones and which one was supposed to be machete.
Machete was in the movie ?!?

Incredible Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #223
Enriquespy
Side-Kick

It was the other guy right?

"Evening, Commmmmmmmmmmmmmmissionerrrrrrrr"

Enriquespy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:29 PM   #224
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
All the side characters had great parts in this film. Especially Grillo. Haven't seen a proper dragon like that in a while. He was well characterised. You could tell he did actually have respect for Cap, maybe even a little fear. But he was unquestioning in his loyalty to HYDRA. Even after seeing what they were doing to Bucky. Grillo really sold the idea that Rumlow truly believes in what they are doing, even if how they get there is questionable.
Yeah thats what made Rumlow such a good henchman, he had layers, he respected Cap a lot but wouldnt let that get in the way of his loyalty to Hydra.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:06 PM   #225
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

I enjoyed Grillo so much that I wouldn't even mind if he didn't have the mask as Crossbones. And for me, that is saying a LOT. lol

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7.5/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10
Quasimod0 is online now   Reply With Quote