The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man

Old 06-18-2012, 12:34 AM   #101
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Default Re: Reboot composer? - Part 1

Quote:
It's funny because this score is the first one that made me dislike Horner when I studied his discography. It's just that I don't like his style and I think that Zimmer has come up with better, let alone remotely close, to this.

I know you're probably going to think of me as ignorant, if not outright call me that, but just my opinion.

So far, what he's doing for Spidey far surpasses ST:TWOK, imo.
Like or dislike is subjective. When I say that Zimmer has never come up with anything like this, it's that Horner's score tells a story. That's why I linked the clip. Everyone thinks Wrath of Khan is one of the best if not the best Trek films, and if you watch the movie without the score the footage is pretty lifeless.

Keep in mind this movie was released after Empire Strikes Back where people were used to seeing ships zooming around and the Millenium Falcon swooshing through and Asteroid field. Here you have two large ships moving very slowly, very much like a battle with old sea ships, and the excitement comes from the score.

You can dislike the score, but to discount what it is, and what it meant for this movie is ignorance.

I don't want to trash Zimmer, because I like his music. But other than Pirates, most of his themes are forgettable.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:46 AM   #102
jacobed
Banned User

I think Zimmer's Batman theme far surpasses Elfman's. Yeah I said it. This soundtrack sounds awesome, Hornet brought his A game

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:27 AM   #103
bholliday
Side-Kick

If someone could pm me a link that would be great!

B

www.hollidayart.com
bholliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:29 AM   #104
NL197
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
I think Zimmer's Batman theme far surpasses Elfman's. Yeah I said it.
I love both Elfman's and Zimmer's Batman scores but let's face it, there is no real Zimmer Batman theme aside from that two-note idea and the only other piece associated with Batman which appears in TDK is a direct nod to Elfman's theme anyway.

Elfman's Batman theme has stood the test of time and will remain as iconic as Williams' Superman theme. They have a worldwide familiarity that Zimmer's Batman music will never have, and that's not a bias talking, that's just stating the obvious.

NL197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:45 AM   #105
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Like or dislike is subjective. When I say that Zimmer has never come up with anything like this, it's that Horner's score tells a story.
What's funny is that I love Zimmer's Batfilms' scores because they narrate the entire duology (and soon, I assume, trilogy) on their own.

Quote:
That's why I linked the clip. Everyone thinks Wrath of Khan is one of the best if not the best Trek films, and if you watch the movie without the score the footage is pretty lifeless.
I'd argue... no, actually I won't. Most pieces of footage are lifeless if you take away their music.

Quote:
You can dislike the score, but to discount what it is, and what it meant for this movie is ignorance.
In that case I don't disagree. It may have worked for the context of WoK, but I just don't like it.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:46 AM   #106
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by NL197 View Post
I love both Elfman's and Zimmer's Batman scores but let's face it, there is no real Zimmer Batman theme aside from that two-note idea and the only other piece associated with Batman which appears in TDK is a direct nod to Elfman's theme anyway.

Elfman's Batman theme has stood the test of time and will remain as iconic as Williams' Superman theme. They have a worldwide familiarity that Zimmer's Batman music will never have, and that's not a bias talking, that's just stating the obvious.
As much as I dislike Elfman's contributions to movies, I can't disagree with this.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:48 AM   #107
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Thanks NL197 for the gift.

I love the soundtrack. Horner's outdone himself. Most of the times the soundtrack is a good indicator of the movie's quality (except for Highlander: The Sourse. God, that soundtrack was misleading) and on that front I'm a very happy camper.

Still think the basketball music and the main theme are complete trash, though. If a theme sounds so bad to me that makes me miss Elfman's mediocre Spidey theme, it's not a good sign.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:59 AM   #108
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
rooftop kiss is such a beautiful song.
I agree! Best one IMO! Actually, one of the best movie score tracks I've ever heard!

EDIT: Ben's Death is up there as well!

"it's ****ing terrible. it's twilight ********."
-Levitikuz' friend, as told to Levitikuz' friend's date, about TASM.

Last edited by Oscorp; 06-18-2012 at 04:05 AM.
Oscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:25 AM   #109
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

I'm listening to the score now and I'm warming up to it. I think they've definitely achieved what they set out to do in terms of this quote: "I wanted to to create a score that felt massive and huge but also intimate and small."

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:13 AM   #110
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
I'm listening to the score now and I'm warming up to it. I think they've definitely achieved what they set out to do in terms of this quote: "I wanted to to create a score that felt massive and huge but also intimate and small."
Agreed; there's just something more heroic in the music's nature while having that sense of intimacy that you were talking about. If the film itself ends up being as great as the score itself, then we're in stored for a big treat.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:42 AM   #111
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Saving New York is damn heroic!

"it's ****ing terrible. it's twilight ********."
-Levitikuz' friend, as told to Levitikuz' friend's date, about TASM.
Oscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:49 AM   #112
AF3619
WOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
Saving New York is damn heroic!
yes, im liking the score more and more!

AF3619 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:49 AM   #113
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

The Bridge starts out great. And I think my favorite track may be Ben's Death.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #114
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

God damn, Saving New York is a masterpiece.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #115
Smegger56
The Smegginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
I think Zimmer's Batman theme far surpasses Elfman's. Yeah I said it. This soundtrack sounds awesome, Hornet brought his A game
Woah. Big thing to say lol

Though I think Elfmans Spidey theme / score is 'meh', his Bat them / score is up there with supermans theme (a close second at least).

The TASM sounds really good. Not on the Supes/Bats scale, but REALLY good IMO. But yeah, he brought his A-game to this .

Smegger56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #116
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bats123 View Post
My favorite track for sure, I LOVE the cue that starts at 1:20, so good.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
I love this track to, Lizard's theme is ferocious at 0:31-0:51 and again at 1:04-1:11. 2:22-2:25 reminds me of Doc Ock's them in SM2, but with less horns blaring.

I'd have to say my favorite is The Ganali Device. Really gets good through 1:15-1:54

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #117
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smegger56 View Post
Woah. Big thing to say lol

Though I think Elfmans Spidey theme / score is 'meh', his Bat them / score is up there with supermans theme (a close second at least).

The TASM sounds really good. Not on the Supes/Bats scale, but REALLY good IMO. But yeah, he brought his A-game to this .
Yes considering they used the music for the Animated Series as well. The music really tells who Batman is. Zimmer's score could probably fit into a dozen movies. Like I say other than the score to Pirates, his music is very generic. He's a minimalist composer, and he's not even a good one at that. If you want to listen to a brilliant minimalist composer go check out Philip Glass.

I don't want to sound like I'm trashing Zimmer, he's done some great stuff, but usually his stuff is in bits and pieces and it's very simplistic. I did like the last 5 minutes of Inception, that was very powerful, but it was pretty simple chord progression repeated multiple times building on itself. The rest of the Inception score is pretty forgettable, and that's my biggest problem with Zimmer, other than pirates (the main theme) no one remembers his music. Horner's scores are pretty much memorable in all his films.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #118
NL197
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I AN LEGEND View Post
The Inception score is forgettable? I hiiiiiiighly disagree.
The film beats audiences over the head with it because it's just so loud in the sound mix. That's what bothered me about it.

NL197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #119
Smegger56
The Smegginator

Quote:
Yes considering they used the music for the Animated Series as well. The music really tells who Batman is. Zimmer's score could probably fit into a dozen movies. Like I say other than the score to Pirates, his music is very generic. He's a minimalist composer, and he's not even a good one at that. If you want to listen to a brilliant minimalist composer go check out Philip Glass.

I don't want to sound like I'm trashing Zimmer, he's done some great stuff, but usually his stuff is in bits and pieces and it's very simplistic. I did like the last 5 minutes of Inception, that was very powerful, but it was pretty simple chord progression repeated multiple times building on itself. The rest of the Inception score is pretty forgettable, and that's my biggest problem with Zimmer, other than pirates (the main theme) no one remembers his music. Horner's scores are pretty much memorable in all his films.
I do love Zimmers Batman score. I really do. But Elfmans is just very much Batman IMO.

But Zimmer on his day can be spot on. His pirates theme is for me one of the best in film. And his Batman is pretty damn good IMO.

Horner can be great to. His ST2 score I do regard as the best overall in Trek by a mile.

Smegger56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #120
Rusty Nail

Someone on another forum posted the chronological listing of the soundtrack.

01 Main Title / Young Peter (4:54)
05 The Briefcase (3:14)
07 Secrets (2:30)
06 The Spider Room / Rumble In The Subway (3:20)
04 Hunting For Information (2:07)
08 The Equation (4:22)
03 Playing Basketball (1:22)
09 The Ganali Device (2:28)
10 Ben's Death (5:41)
02 Becoming Spider-man (4:16)
11 Metamorphosis (3:04)
12 Rooftop Kiss (2:34)
13 The Bridge (5:15)
14 Peter's Suspicions (3:01)
15 Making a Silk Trap (2:52)
16 Lizard At School! (2:57)
17 Saving New York (7:52)
18 Oscorp Tower (3:22)
19 "I Can't See You Anymore" (6:50)
20 Promises / Spiderman End Titles (4:52)

Last edited by Rusty Nail; 06-18-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Rusty Nail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #121
Bats123
Master Chief

Yeah, we already knew that, but thanks anyways.

Bats123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #122
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I AN LEGEND View Post
The Inception score is forgettable? I hiiiiiiighly disagree.
Aside from the chord progression at the end, I couldn't tell you what the music sounds like. Most of his music sounds very similar, more than just style.

The Pirates score is the one that's truely unique and by far is his best score.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #123
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

I should also mention, I really enjoy his Sherlock Holmes music, so to date his best works IMO were the Pirates movies and Sherlock Holmes.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #124
Eddie Brock
Golden Domer

The Spider Room is fourth? Should happen very early in the movie, hopefully. That would be great.

Eddie Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #125
Bats123
Master Chief

Quote:
I should also mention, I really enjoy his Sherlock Holmes music, so to date his best works IMO were the Pirates movies and Sherlock Holmes.
THIS. Discombulate is incredible, probably one of the coolest and weirdest tracks i've heard.

Bats123 is offline   Reply With Quote