The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #251
Radioactive1980
Banned User

Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

Does anyone know if Zimmer will include/re-record the Williams Superman theme for MOS or not?

The Williams theme is just as iconic as Supes emblem/costume and a Superman film without it would really lack.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #252
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive1980 View Post
Does anyone know if Zimmer will include/re-record the Williams Superman theme for MOS or not?
Likely not, as he alluded to how 'untouchable' it was in a prior interview to getting hired. And thankfully too, as Zimmer's style of wouldn't really fit with the orchestration of that score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive1980 View Post
The Williams theme is just as iconic as Supes emblem/costume and a Superman film without it would really lack.
No, the new movie and franchise are better off without it to make their own identity across the board. It won't be lacking without it if people enjoy what they are getting. And if someone still wants to here the Williams theme anyway, that's their cross to bear not the movie's.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 06-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #253
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

I think they have made it pretty clear by now how much they are trying to distance themselves from the previous movies.

Would seem pretty silly to then include the Williams theme, in any way.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 06-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #254
David Destructs
Newbie First Class

Yea I'm very conflicted. I agree with the above poster that that theme is as iconic as the colour scheme. It's hard to not hear it when I see or hear superman related things.

I think it's likely we a going to get something fairly non descript like Zimmers current nolan colabs. This whilst being inoffensive would most likely not raise the hairs of my neck...and it's something i feel superman deserves; iconic, thematic music..

I hope I'm wrong in this area, I really do.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #255
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

I think that Zimmer will make a Superman theme but use it very subtly, it will not be very strong and loud theme.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Old 06-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #256
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

I could actually imagine Zimmer using the mysterious/Krypton/finding green crystal, but not the main march.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 06-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #257
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Why on earth would he use ANY of the Williams music? What exactly about the concept reboot dont you people understand?! MOS will have nothing to do with the Donner-verse.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #258
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Am I the only one who thinks this will open near identically to Batman Begins, in that there will probably be a flashback scene in Smallville or on Krypton and then we see Clark waking up in Alaska?
Oh please no. If that happens change the title from MOS to "Superman Begins" then. The last thing I want to see is a Superman version of BB. BB to me is very overrated and not that good to begin with. If it goes the BB approach then it'll be another reason for me not to look forward to this movie. It's already bad enough that Snyder's the director, Goyer the writer, and Zimmer being the composer. No offense to their fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
I'd say use epic guitar riffs. Especially when Clark takes off his glasses.
Just what we need another superhero score with electric guitars, b/c fans and hollywood in general seem to can't get enough of those. Let's be honest what would be the point of using an electric guitar when he takes off his glasses b/c it would sound cool and make Superman & the scene itself seem hardcore? I've lost count on how many action movies (and comic book/superhero movies in general) that had utilised electric guitars in their scores. It gets old after a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Well, at least this sort of puts to bed the question of recycling the old Williams theme. They wouldn't be hiring someone like Zimmer if they had any intentions to do so. You don't go big-name blockbuster composer if you're going to recycle someone else's work. You get John Ottman like with Returns.
And yet he used Lalo Schiffrin's Mission Impossible theme for MI2 as well as Elfman's Simpsons theme for "The Simpsons Movie". I don't care anymore if he uses the theme or not. I already lost hope in this score being fresh the moment Zimmer signed on. It'll just be anotehr generic action score from the MV/RCP factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
^this is why i am glad Michael Giacchino did'nt get it

he would of sounded too much like JW

just listen to his JC score it sounds very star wars
I don't care if Giachinno sounds like Williams or not I'd prefer him for MOS than Zimmer. As well as Don Davis, John Powell, and Marco Beltrami. I believe they can handle the tone Snyder's going for without sounding like Williams or other current action scores that are inspired by Zimmer's style.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #259
xmangambit
I come fom the net...

Just heard the Dark Knight Rises score and I am VERY nervous about Zimmer doing this I hope it's not just a crescendo of sounds!

There needs to be a very Heroic and distinct theme and maybe a few cues borrowed from John Williams theme if he's not going to adapt it whole.

I don't think anything is going to Top John Williams theme so I hope he doesn't make it just loads of orchestral build up music like in the Dark Knight series.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #260
Superhero 101
DESI

I think Alan Silvestri would have been perfect for doing the score after he did CA and Avengers but i have faith in Zimmer and i think he will definitely bring us something epic and heroic like he has with the Batman movies

Old 06-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #261
xmangambit
I come fom the net...

Nah I didn't like the Batman stuff, just seemed generic atmospheric music, nothing hard hitting or memorable. So here's to hoping, I don't think they'll use the music for the trailer either think they'll keep it under wraps.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #262
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero 101 View Post
I think Alan Silvestri would have been perfect for doing the score after he did CA and Avengers but i have faith in Zimmer and i think he will definitely bring us something epic and heroic like he has with the Batman movies
The problem with Silvestri scoring MOS would be it sounding like his post GIJoe: ROC scores, which every action score after that one (from him) sounds like. I don't want Superman sounding like something out of a GIJoe movie like CA:TFA and TA ended up sounding like. Besides the "march" and some action cues his CA:TFA score was only good, but far from special. His Avengers score (though it's growing on me b/c of how familiar I am with the film) could've been a lot better also. The Avengers theme though it's good sounds like a cross between his Judge Dredd theme and GIJoe theme. In other words sounds and feels like not much thought was put into it unlike his CA march. Btw just b/c Silvestri scored this superhero movie or that one doesn't mean he should score MOS. That was the same problem people had with Elfman scoring every other superhero movie back in the day. The scores would sound generic and repititve as would Zimmer's score for MOS will.I'm sorry. I have little hope that he'll come up with something out of the norm and fresh.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #263
Kryptonian Warrior
We are Hunter Rider

Assuming that Zimmer is done with TDKR, I wonder when he will start on MOS? I mean, I would think he would take a little break to give his mind a break, but I have no idea how he works.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #264
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
Why on earth would he use ANY of the Williams music? What exactly about the concept reboot dont you people understand?! MOS will have nothing to do with the Donner-verse.
what about the concept of reboot did the Bond films not get when they rebooted the Bond franchise with Daniel Craig and continued using the same theme? You don't **** with James Bond and you don't **** with Superman...

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 06-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #265
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian Warrior View Post
Assuming that Zimmer is done with TDKR, I wonder when he will start on MOS? I mean, I would think he would take a little break to give his mind a break, but I have no idea how he works.
He's been finished with the TDKR score since late March-early April (the movie got its PG-13 rating in mid- to late April). WB wouldn't have been able to secure the rating for TDKR until it was finished, music and all.

And WB wants to have MOS completed by December or January, so Zimmer's pounding out ideas in his lavish studio now. They'll probably record the score late summer-early fall. Sound mixing and final CGI should be in and integrated by November or December. WB will likely have the MPAA rating for MOS out by January or February 2013.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 06-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #266
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
what about the concept of reboot did the Bond films not get when they rebooted the Bond franchise with Daniel Craig and continued using the same theme? You don't **** with James Bond and you don't **** with Superman...
Superman is not Bond, and Bond movies, even rebooted, are still meant to be under the same 'umbrella' franchise-wise. MOS is a completely different creative entity from the Donner versions, as was the animated versions which also didn't use the Williams theme.

MOS should have its own unique cinematic score from top to bottom. The Williams stuff, as wonderful as it is, is still the music from other movies. This movie needs to differentiate itself fro those as much as possible. Different music is the right way to go.

And again, the Williams theme.. .in terms of orchestration/voicing and just overall musical approach,...is very different from Zimmer's, it would sound odd coming from him, or trying to shoehorn it into a Zimmer score, or adjusting to it.

Last edited by KalMart; 06-25-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:19 AM   #267
Elayis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
Please do upload it, because I would like to hear it.
Boy, do I feel like an idiot. Apparently, the track I'm talking about is the track "Lasiurus" from the commercial album.

I wasn't aware of this because I've only listened to the complete score, as the track names match the scenes they accompany (such as "Opening Titles/Young Bruce falls", etc.).

So, most of you probably already have this track.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 06-26-2012, 12:26 AM   #268
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
Yeah, Giachhino is closer. He's definitely got a nicer 'older-school' style. Zimmer is an interesting choice in that he will certainly sound different than Williams....but you wonder if he'l sound like 'death-by-reverb' Zimmer on so many other things.
To be fair, this is just a personal aesthetic, as I love his use of reverb. and his more 'sound-designy' type scoring. I also love his more traditional stuff like Lion King.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:38 AM   #269
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
To be fair, this is just a personal aesthetic, as I love his use of reverb. and his more 'sound-designy' type scoring. I also love his more traditional stuff like Lion King.
Well...I wouldn't quite call Zimmer the Michael Bay of film composers.....

...but he's kinda' the Michael Bay of film composers.

Actually, Michael Bay has had some nice composers.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:50 AM   #270
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:

That is simply not an accurate statement. It's a believable opinion, but it's far from a fact. What exactly are your complaints about Zimmer that make him an inferior composer?

Old 06-26-2012, 01:13 AM   #271
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
That is simply not an accurate statement. It's a believable opinion, but it's far from a fact. What exactly are your complaints about Zimmer that make him an inferior composer?
That doesn't necessarily mean he's inferior...nor does it mean Bay is an inferior filmmaker. Some people like his explosions, the high-contrasty look, his flair for action, the explosions, etc. Bay's certainly quite good at what he does.

Last edited by KalMart; 06-26-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:21 AM   #272
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:
That doesn't necessarily mean he's inferior...nor does it mean Bay is an inferior filmmaker. Some people like his explosions, the high-contrasty look, his flair for action, the explosions, etc. Bay's certainly quite good at what he does.
I guess I equate Bay to shallowness, and that is certainly not a quality that I would compare Zimmer too. Bombastic, I can give you that, haha.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:29 AM   #273
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
That old argument? Really? When has Bond ever been rebooted? All this franchise is doing is bringing in new actors to play in sequels while updating the style. That's not rebooting. They've been doing that since the 70s.

The only instances where William's music is used is the Reeve-movies (and that Donner-tribute SR). William's music is NOT cannon.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:09 AM   #274
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:

Actually, Michael Bay has had some nice composers.
That's actually pretty accurate when it comes to his action blockbuster scores. Bay is the "king of explosions" while to his critics Zimmer is the "king of loud noise".

Old 06-26-2012, 03:08 AM   #275
Lighthouse
Fairness, Equality, Bacon

I'm not too worried about this for two reasons.

1. Zimmer knows what kind of hero Batman is, and what type of hero Superman is. He knows one type of score won't work for both heroes.

2. He knows the Williams score. He knows it's iconic. He knows what he's up against. His previous interview has made this pretty clear. I kind of like that this presents a tremendous challenge to Zimmer, who can be completely brilliant when he needs to be.

...Or when your hands are cold, you rub them together, you see, that's good, that feels good! There's so many good things! But you're not here - I'm here. I wish you were here. I wish you could talk to me. 'Cause I'm a friend. - Peter Falk (Wings of Desire)
Closed Thread