The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #326
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili
 
KalMart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,307
Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclesforsupes View Post
My opinion is great that Hans is composing the score, however I do feel once the trailer in theatre goes or the movie for that matter starts. The GA will probably say to themselves or to there person they see the movie with..Wait where is the Superman theme?
Yeah, an absence could be noticeable, so they'll have to approach it pretty carefully. Basically make the trailer feel like it's own new movie concept, if you will. If it gets thrilling enough as it gets going, then you've got people on 'the ride' so they won't miss the music as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclesforsupes View Post
Unless the WB markets this like Star Trek Reboot and says this is not your father's superman or something like that to tell the audience its a reboot..Who knows time will tell if the movie works or it doesn't.
In a way that's very much it, but not that they actually have to spell it out or even acknowledge that there have been films before. Superman is a familiar enough character/icon even without seeing thee earlier movies, so that helps. But in terms of any sort of effort to 'undo' a tie to the earlier movies, I don't think it has to be made. Kinda 'like how Ledger's joker just picked up from his lace and only went/looked forward.

__________________
KalMart's Vids on YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #327
El Payaso
Banned User
 
El Payaso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rubbing your rhubarb.
Posts: 15,263
Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
And he's still not...he's doing just his own music for the film, not reflective of Willams' at all. He's finally comfortable about it after some convincing and reconsidering, but you somehow still seem to be having trouble with that.
Trouble? What trouble am I having exactly?

I just don't buy this 'now I'm, comfortable with it' thing.

Because nothing has changed.

The movie is still not using the Williams theme (as it was never intended to) and people will still compare the new score to the old one no matter how much they're told this is a different franchise. Just like it happened with his Batman's new score (Zimmer said people kept telling him to do a more Elfman thing).

Why would he be more comfortable now? Everything is the same.

I bet all the reconsideration there was was a big fat check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
He didn't say that no one could physically put a score to the movie, he was talking about trying to specifically stand alongside Williams' on that established pedestal. It took a while to be comfortable with there not being a contest, at least from the standpoint of the filmmakers. Again, any of knew that any composer could be put into an unfair position of comparison specifically with the legacy of the William's Superman score looming so large. And especially with him being as well-known as he is, it calls even more attention to a sense of 'competition' from viewers. He knew that as do we. So it probably took more cajoling from Nolan and Snyder to get him on board, assure him that they're not holding him up to anyone else's standard but his, and that they have full confidence in that everything about the movie will be able to stand on its own merits exclusively.
Making his own thing was always the deal. Back when he said "unequivocally no" and now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
Any artist would know the influence that he'd be up against on something so well established. It's not that he thought Elfman's Batman was bad work, he obviously just didn't revere it as much as the Williams one. And many would agree.

And there's nothing self-made about it...everyone is conscious of the Williams score, you can see how many here and in popular culture that feel that its inseparable form the character.
That's the challenge. It should be motivation enough for a composer. He prefered to chicken out saying it was like improving Beethoven (a stupid pointless thing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
And guess what...they convinced him that they won't be going Beethoven on this one. He needed more convincing. Now he's got it, simple as that.
That'$ what I al$o think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
If you just want to keep feeling angry about it for whatever reason...go for it, but it's because you want to be angry about it, not because there's actually hypocrisy, or arrogance, or some sort of dismissal involved on his part. You're the only one thinking that way about it. So again, best of luck.
Oh, am I angry? Things you learn about yourself on the net.

I'm just pointing out how arrogant he was and how he has now to swallow his words.

And even if I were the only one thinking that way (and I'm not), what do I care? Everything's happening the way I wanted.

El Payaso is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #328
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili
 
KalMart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,307
Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

...

__________________
KalMart's Vids on YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)

Last edited by KalMart; 06-27-2012 at 12:10 PM.
KalMart is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #329
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili
 
KalMart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,307
Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
That'$ what I al$o think.
Yeah I heard he's hurtin' for work these days.


Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Oh, am I angry? Things you learn about yourself on the net.
Yup.

Good luck with everything.

__________________
KalMart's Vids on YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #330
El Payaso
Banned User
 
El Payaso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rubbing your rhubarb.
Posts: 15,263
Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
Yup.

Good luck with everything.
Trouble accepting everything is happening the way I want?

El Payaso is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #331
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili
 
KalMart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,307
Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Trouble accepting everything is happening the way I want?
No, your trouble with the fact that it's not.

Ciao.

__________________
KalMart's Vids on YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #332
El Payaso
Banned User
 
El Payaso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rubbing your rhubarb.
Posts: 15,263
Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
No, your trouble with the fact that it's not.

Ciao.
New score/no Williams theme, as I have said multiple times throughout this very thread I want? Check.

Arrogant composer swallowing words and doing what he said he wouldn't? Check.

New suit with no red trunks? Check.

Nolan involved? Check.

Kryptonian suit? Check.

Goyer being re-written? Check.

So, other than gifs and smilies, do you actually know what am I angry about or what is happening against my tastes in this movie? Just asking.

El Payaso is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #333
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili
 
KalMart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,307
Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
New score/no Williams theme, as I have said multiple times throughout this very thread I want? Check.

Arrogant composer swallowing words and doing what he said he wouldn't? Check.

New suit with no red trunks? Check.

Nolan involved? Check.

Kryptonian suit? Check.

Goyer being re-written? Check.

So, other than gifs and smilies, do you actually know what am I angry about or what is happening against my tastes in this movie? Just asking.

__________________
KalMart's Vids on YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #334
El Payaso
Banned User
 
El Payaso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rubbing your rhubarb.
Posts: 15,263
Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
...
I kinda thought you didn't.

El Payaso is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #335
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili
 
KalMart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,307
Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
It is indeed a daunting task. One any composer would feel if taking on a different theme. I wouldn't call him an arrogant prick though for being daunted. But where is it implied that it sounds like someone taking the task would be a "poor soul destined to fail?" At the time he probably didn't see anything with the film. Now he might have seen something that changed his mind that made him confident in him doing something differently. Perhaps now he won't look at it as trying to face up to Williams theme. Now he sees it as somethign he can do himself.
I think the big misunderstanding is that Zimmer somehow said "Williams owns Superman scoring for all time...there's no point in anyone even contemplating doing one because it'll never be as good...don't even try."

But that's not something an actual composer would say or feel. It's something a fanboy would say, perhaps, with fan-blinders on et al. It's the same way that the Who felt about following Jimi Hendrix onstage at a music festival concert....and not through an inferiority/superiority complex or the like...they loved it, but they knew a certain thunder had been taken ownership of. But they'd eventually still go on, and if they rocked the house with their own music, people will either like that or not like that for that music alone....regardless of how amazing Hendrix was an hour back.

If anything, artists themselves are more prone to show both appreciation and intimidation of others' great works more than fans are.

__________________
KalMart's Vids on YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #336
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili
 
KalMart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,307
Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
I kinda thought you didn't.
And thinking's obviously your forte. Ta-ta.

__________________
KalMart's Vids on YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #337
El Payaso
Banned User
 
El Payaso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rubbing your rhubarb.
Posts: 15,263
Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
And thinking's obviously your forte. Ta-ta.
Ah, at least you can recognize obvious things. Good.



Erhmmm... so you don't know what's happening in this movie against my taste, right? I'll tell you a little secret: there is one, let's see if you know it.

El Payaso is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #338
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili
 
KalMart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,307
Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Ah, at least you can recognize obvious things. Good.
Moreso than you realize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
Yeah well... It's still the greatest superhero theme to this day. I'm in love with it for what it is, or was. But hearing it in a modern day CBM would feel malplaced and slightly silly I imagine.

But then again, I dont know what to go for with the neo-medieval fantasy style MOS' mythology is displaying. I guess it does lend itself somewhat to something more traditional? Gladiator meets Batman? I dunno.
There's so much to that scoring work outside of the main theme, though, that's incredible and wonderfully put together even by today's standards. the walk to the North Pole. the rooftop conversation....it's all timeless work. But more to your point, it also reflects certain approach to the films that while not 'old' is very much a signature of that era and the birth of the mega-blockbusters (much of which...Williams scored ). Not that today's big movies aren't going for the gold, but a lot of it isn't that constant accompaniment that was part of really introducing and defining these movies back then. More atmospheric and even sound-design approaches have evolved since then, and like you alluded to, you'd kinda' have to do a movie like 'those' back then to fit this music most ideally.

But anyway, the fact that they really wanted Zimmer should reflect pretty clearly that the movie itself will be a very different approach. Some have expressed that they hope the scoring will be more of a sweepingly melodic composition than an atmospheric, mored/undercurrent or storm-cloud one. But I think there's a lot of room in between all to do with how it wrks with the movie's style. And Williams' stuff, as wonderful as it is, just may not be an ideal stylistic fit. All the more reason to go for one for one of the most un-Williams-like composers today.

__________________
KalMart's Vids on YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #339
El Payaso
Banned User
 
El Payaso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rubbing your rhubarb.
Posts: 15,263
Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
Moreso than you realize.
Ok, it has to do with someone behind the cameras. Come on, I want you to know the only thing that El Payaso (kind of) dislikes about MoS, so at least you can say something to back up your own statements... come on...

El Payaso is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #340
Wheels
HR Supporter
 
Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Second City
Posts: 11,397
Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

Who cares why Zimmer is doing the score or if he's comfortable with doing it? The fact is Hans Zimmer is scoring Man of Steel, whether it be for artistic reasons or solely for the money.

The statement Zimmer made reguarding the Williams score is ironic considering that he's doing Man of Steel,...that's funny I guess.

__________________
CM Punk = Best In The World

Quote:
Because I'm a total mark and the first words I ever spoke when I came out of my mother's wound, was that one day, I was going to be the WCW Champion.
-- Vince Russo

Last edited by Wheels; 06-27-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Wheels is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #341
El Payaso
Banned User
 
El Payaso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rubbing your rhubarb.
Posts: 15,263
Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntMan View Post
Who cares why Zimmer is doing the score or if he's comfortable with doing it? The fact is Hans Zimmer is scoring Man of Steel, whether it be for artistic reasons or solely for the money. The statement Zimmer made regaining reguarding the Williams score is ironic considering that he's doing Man of Steel,...that's funny I guess.
That's my point.

And yes, I liked his work on Nolan's bat-movies (and non bat-movies) so I also liked he is involved.

El Payaso is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #342
Wheels
HR Supporter
 
Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Second City
Posts: 11,397
Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

Well, there's no doubt the statement is ironic.

__________________
CM Punk = Best In The World

Quote:
Because I'm a total mark and the first words I ever spoke when I came out of my mother's wound, was that one day, I was going to be the WCW Champion.
-- Vince Russo
Wheels is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #343
X Knight
Symbol of Hope
 
X Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,991
Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

well, people change their minds all the time.

it will be interesting to learn why Zimmer changed his mind, though.

If it's purely because of $$$, then that's not reassuring. That would make his prior statements look even more ironic and hypocritical.

but, if Zimmer comes out and says he met with Snyder, read the script/story ( saw footage, etc. ), and became inspired to score the film, then that would be a positive sign.

__________________
Straight Edge and Proud!!

Disney Lover and Proud!!
X Knight is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #344
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili
 
KalMart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,307
Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntMan View Post
Who cares why Zimmer is doing the score or if he's comfortable with doing it? The fact is Hans Zimmer is scoring Man of Steel, whether it be for artistic reasons or solely for the money.
He doesn't need the money or the fame...probably helped to say no at first, and no doubt that it called more attention to 'following' Williams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntMan View Post
The statement Zimmer made reguarding the Williams score is ironic considering that he's doing Man of Steel,...that's funny I guess.
It is, and it must have took some convincing from a creative standpoint. At first, it was easily passed off as 'Yeah, Nolan convinced him'. But there's probably more to that than just Nolan asking. I think there had to be some major mulling over by both of them, because honestly, if I were Zimmer and had carved out a name and reputation for my music by myself, I wouldn't want to step into something that already had a wonderfully established musical signature like Williams' Superman...out of both respect for Williams' stuff and for my own uniqueness as well. Completely understandable gut reaction. And not even if tons of money were thrown at me because I've already got plenty of work and interest, and frankly I don't want to be known for just picking up on something that already has someone else's creative stamp on it for the money....like U2 doing a cover or tribute album or the like.

But...if later on, after more insight on it with someone I've worked well with before, and I felt that like them, I could go into the project as if it were the first one ever, and I had confidence in them that they could pull it off...I might reconsider. I might realize that the movie will be much more different than I may have assumed before without as much knowledge about it, that it's like here never was another Superman movie before much like when we did BB, and yeah even though I feel Williams Supes score is more iconic tan Elfman's Batman one...I can probably still do my own very different things with it. That's what looks like happened.

__________________
KalMart's Vids on YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #345
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D
 
Majik1387's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Theme Park central
Posts: 38,769
Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

He's doing it for the money.

Majik1387 is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #346
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili
 
KalMart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,307
Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
well, people change their minds all the time.
Especially in movies...and not always because of $$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
it will be interesting to learn why Zimmer changed his mind, though.

If it's purely because of $$$, then that's not reassuring. That would make his prior statements look even more ironic and hypocritical.
It would and it really doesn't seem that he needs that. He's already probably the most sought-after and successful film composer working today, and just phoning one in for the cash wouldn't exactly help that. If Nolan helped convince him...do you think Nolan would want someone to come on who was only doing it for the money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
but, if Zimmer comes out and says he met with Snyder, read the script/story ( saw footage, etc. ), and became inspired to score the film, then that would be a positive sign.
There's really no other reason why he would, if he actually values what he does.

__________________
KalMart's Vids on YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)

Last edited by KalMart; 06-27-2012 at 01:10 PM.
KalMart is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #347
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili
 
KalMart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,307
Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
He's doing it for the money.
Did he get a divorce recently or something? IRS, like Cage?

__________________
KalMart's Vids on YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #348
X Knight
Symbol of Hope
 
X Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,991
Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

I hope it's not simply about money or because Nolan asked him to do it. I want Zimmer to be passionate about the project.

I mean, it is a pretty big challenge to take on the Williams theme.....it's so iconic.

I do wonder if there will be hints of the Williams theme in Zimmer's score. When I listen to the TDK score, there are parts where I can hear hints of the Elfman theme.

__________________
Straight Edge and Proud!!

Disney Lover and Proud!!
X Knight is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #349
Wheels
HR Supporter
 
Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Second City
Posts: 11,397
Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
I hope it's not simply about money or because Nolan asked him to do it. I want Zimmer to be passionate about the project.

I mean, it is a pretty big challenge to take on the Williams theme.....it's so iconic.

I do wonder if there will be hints of the Williams theme in Zimmer's score. When I listen to the TDK score, there are parts where I can hear hints of the Elfman theme.
You must have super hearing.

__________________
CM Punk = Best In The World

Quote:
Because I'm a total mark and the first words I ever spoke when I came out of my mother's wound, was that one day, I was going to be the WCW Champion.
-- Vince Russo
Wheels is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #350
X Knight
Symbol of Hope
 
X Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,991
Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntMan View Post
You must have super hearing.
well, there is a certain, small part in the TDK score where the melody does sound a bit like the Elfman theme. I don't know it it was an intentional "hint" or "nod" or not, but it did remind me of the Elfman theme.

It's the last song on the soundtrack, the "TDK Suite" I believe it's called, and it's near the end of the song.....

__________________
Straight Edge and Proud!!

Disney Lover and Proud!!
X Knight is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.