Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 01:52 AM   #576
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post

Shockingly, I kind of want to see someone (preferably Kalmart) edit the teaser to the Titanic soundtrack now.
That'd be too easy....and it would actually be quite similar to the LOTR one.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 07-26-2012, 02:04 AM   #577
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

True, true.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #578
db85usa
HeHe!

The thing I'm not too crazy about with Hans is he likes to make his sound synthy. In Rises, it sounded like he tried reversing the pattern by doing this with a live orchestra.

A lot of his songs are dragged out or sound too much alike. An example would be, "Journey to the Line", and "The Way of the Sword." For a successful Man of Steel score, IMO he needs to dig back to The Lion King, The Prince of Egypt, Gladiator, etc.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #579
Zorex
No T, No Shade

A lot of stand-out Zimmer cues/themes have a really great, heavy, melancholic feeling to them, and, though I have a mild apprehension for what he'll deliver with the "Man of Steel" score, I'm confident he will really, really shine when it comes to Jor-El & Lara sending Kal-El away and the destruction Krypton.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #580
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by db85usa View Post
The thing I'm not too crazy about with Hans is he likes to make his sound synthy. In Rises, it sounded like he tried reversing the pattern by doing this with a live orchestra.

A lot of his songs are dragged out or sound too much alike. An example would be, "Journey to the Line", and "The Way of the Sword." For a successful Man of Steel score, IMO he needs to dig back to The Lion King, The Prince of Egypt, Gladiator, etc.
And those subsonics, and that canyon of reverb that so often give away their modern/synth-ness.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 07-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #581
db85usa
HeHe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
And those subsonics, and that canyon of reverb that so often give away their modern/synth-ness.
Prince of Egypt sounds way more like a live orchestra versus his latest stuff (mainly Batman.) Even bits in the Gladiator score don't sound as synthy but that's JMO. Those scores had some awesome tracks.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:18 AM   #582
Elayis

Quote:

It might just be how the soundtrack release was mastered, but I actually feel that TDKR is his most synth-sounding score yet. Over half of the tracks (mainly the bonus ones) sound like demos, and I doubt were performed by a live orchestra at all.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:00 AM   #583
Project862006
Banned User

Hans Zimmer - Aurora - Tribute To Those in TDKR Shooting
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

very beautiful

Old 07-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #584
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Big kudos to Zimmer for doing that composition and for whom....but honestly, it doesn't really sound any different than a lot of the atmospheric swells that he employs in many other of his movie compositions. But it is the thought that counts, and for that it's an appreciated gesture.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #585
DIRECTOR
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
Hans Zimmer - Aurora - Tribute To Those in TDKR Shooting
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

very beautiful
what's creepy is that i can visualize the tragedy in my head, like a scene from the film.

The song is not really unique, Hans just used the TDKR theme in a more atmospheric tone.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #586
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRECTOR View Post
what's creepy is that i can visualize the tragedy in my head, like a scene from the film.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 07-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #587
DIRECTOR
Side-Kick

Quote:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
that is freaky
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Old 07-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #588
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

As used in The Shining, Children Of Men...and perhaps an inspiration for some of the Joker's elements in TDK.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:17 AM   #589
Lighthouse
Fairness, Equality, Bacon

I'm surprised no one has tried making a Man of Steel trailer using Journey to the Line yet.

...Or when your hands are cold, you rub them together, you see, that's good, that feels good! There's so many good things! But you're not here - I'm here. I wish you were here. I wish you could talk to me. 'Cause I'm a friend. - Peter Falk (Wings of Desire)
Old 07-29-2012, 02:26 AM   #590
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

I'm more surprised someone hasn't done one with The Lion King soundtrack yet. It is Zimmer after all.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:11 AM   #591
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
I love that piece. I guess a lot of Hollywood-composers does as well.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #592
db85usa
HeHe!

I guess I'm just not really looking forward to what Zimmer does for MoS. If he steps out of his synthy/electronic element, I'll be surprised. I was looking forward to someone else, I guess. If there is a two note theme for Superman, and 6 other themes that could be the 'main theme' I'll be disappointed. I remember a while ago he said Batman hadn't earned his theme yet. He was hyping it up and then the TDKR score came out and I'm still wondering what that main theme is. Makes me wonder how much of an influence James Newton Howard had.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #593
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I just saw a video posted on the infamous comic book website as we all know of.lol..that deals with the sound design and music of "TDKR", with Hans talking about his experience on the film. What's interesting is that he mentions on how TDKR was the ideal film for him to work and how he had mentioned to Chris during the wrap up of TDKR on what he's supposed to do next now that he's finished making music for his dream film....oh the irony on how he goes from that to MOS now.haha

Old 08-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #594
Coca Cola Duracell Franklin.
Side-Kick

Quote:
I guess I'm just not really looking forward to what Zimmer does for MoS. If he steps out of his synthy/electronic element, I'll be surprised. I was looking forward to someone else, I guess. If there is a two note theme for Superman, and 6 other themes that could be the 'main theme' I'll be disappointed. I remember a while ago he said Batman hadn't earned his theme yet. He was hyping it up and then the TDKR score came out and I'm still wondering what that main theme is. Makes me wonder how much of an influence James Newton Howard had.
That was just him making an excuse for not being able to write something as good as Elfman's theme. Then he gave up half-way through The Dark Knight.

For The Dark Knight Rises he just played a CD of his old Batman songs.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #595
Kryptonian Warrior
In Snyder I Trust

Quote:
Big kudos to Zimmer for doing that composition and for whom....but honestly, it doesn't really sound any different than a lot of the atmospheric swells that he employs in many other of his movie compositions. But it is the thought that counts, and for that it's an appreciated gesture.
I'm curious. Was this something that he did right after the tragedy? I mean that sounds freaking awesome!

On a side note, I hope there is a lot of actual voices in the MOS soundtrack. Something like this track I mean. Does that make sense?

Last edited by Kryptonian Warrior; 08-02-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #596
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I just saw a video posted on the infamous comic book website as we all know of.lol..that deals with the sound design and music of "TDKR", with Hans talking about his experience on the film. What's interesting is that he mentions on how TDKR was the ideal film for him to work and how he had mentioned to Chris during the wrap up of TDKR on what he's supposed to do next now that he's finished making music for his dream film....oh the irony on how he goes from that to MOS now.haha
He's in over hs head on MOS. But LOL at TDKR being his dream film. Judging from what I've heard and didn't feel from the score in the film. It sure doesn't sound like it was a dream project. Especially if that was the best he had to offer. Now if he was dreamng whle scoring TDKR I'd believe that. He rehashed a few cues from the previous two with little to no difference. And the score, imo, lacked any emotional punch that the film needed at the end. The emotional punch in the film comes from Alfred. I fear for what's in store for the MOS score. I hope I'm wrong and he delivers a gripping and brilliant score, but have little to no hope after three weak attempts with Batman's scores.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #597
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I just saw a video posted on the infamous comic book website as we all know of.lol..that deals with the sound design and music of "TDKR", with Hans talking about his experience on the film.
Zimmer: ....how were we going to beat what we did the last time?

Apparently by making it louder and heavier.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #598
Coca Cola Duracell Franklin.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
He's in over hs head on MOS. But LOL at TDKR being his dream film. Judging from what I've heard and didn't feel from the score in the film. It sure doesn't sound like it was a dream project. Especially if that was the best he had to offer. Now if he was dreamng whle scoring TDKR I'd believe that. He rehashed a few cues from the previous two with little to no difference. And the score, imo, lacked any emotional punch that the film needed at the end. The emotional punch in the film comes from Alfred. I fear for what's in store for the MOS score. I hope I'm wrong and he delivers a gripping and brilliant score, but have little to no hope after three weak attempts with Batman's scores.
He's spent. Just like Elfman. His score for Superman will probably be ripping off The Dark Knight Rises soundtrack quite blatantly. I can already hear the same two notes over and over again.

Superman deserves a better composer with more to offer.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #599
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramelPopcorn View Post
He's spent. Just like Elfman.

OUCH! On the Elfman part. It's not that Zimmer's spent b/c he can be creative and inspiring when he wants to. For example like he proved with Sherlock Holmes (2009). It's just these Batman scores seem to bring the worse out of him. All that time, technology, and "hard work" of coming up with different sounds for the films. And that's all Zimmer can come up with. He spent months in preproduction (for each film I believe) already coming up with ideas after readng the script and getting feedback from Nolan before he shot any footage. And that's all Zimmer can come up with. Then he has the nerve to say sound is music. Meaning sound effects is music. To him it's welcome to the score. And Nolan likes ths stuff? The bat scores are mostly noisefests to my ears. It's a shame given the talent involved even JNH had to follow that approach while co-composing. I know that he and Zimmer both are capable of giving batman the score he deserves, but unfortunately didn't. All three scores have been a big missed opportunity, imo.

Quote:
His score for Superman will probably be ripping off The Dark Knight Rises soundtrack quite blatantly. I can already hear the same two notes over and over again.
How inappropriate but with Nolan and Snyder involved I wouldn't doubt that. It's disgusting to even think about.

Quote:
Superman deserves a better composer with more to offer.
Oh I wholeheartedly agree. There are a few composers who could take this character to another direction musically while not sounding generic. But they pick the most overrated composer in Hollywood, whose technique and approach you can hear in almost every blockbuster movie. I'm tired of the Zimmer sound being used for all these action movies these days. It was a big slap in the face for me to hear that type of score in a Batman movie. B/c of that those scores don't feel anything like Batman, imo. It'll be a kick in the privates (for me) to hear that sound in a Superman movie. Just like Batman, Superman shouldn't sound like any other action movie score. When I hear a Superman score I want to think yeah that's Superman not Transformers, Gladiator, Pirates, or any other MV/RC score. That's not going to happen though.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #600
dante2012
Side-Kick

Well I enjoyed the score of TDKR. I thought it was epic and powerful! Remember this is a trilogy and its fine reusing cues and modifying it. I think you guys are extremely harsh on Hans Zimmer. The music is suppose to provide atmosphere and emotion to the film and something boombastic like Elfman score did would never fit with nolans batman films.

Closed Thread