The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 08:42 AM   #801
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

Talking score I really hope Zimmer, or whoever decides where the music goes into the film, know when to shut up and not feature music. Nothing elevates drama or action more than no music or dead silence.

I'd really like a long battle-sequence with no score at all. Just an intense sound-side with wellplaced silence and screaming/crying bystanders.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #802
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
I've heard many praise this score. Might have to check it out after I see the film.

The highlight of this score for me is the piece that plays on the monorail with little Bruce and his parents. I also like the use of that particular theme at the end with Bruce and Rachel. You can tell JNH wrote that. I also like the piece that played when Batman was infected by Crane's fear toxin and the track Lasiurus. That's about it.

Harvey Two-Face is the highlight for me it uses the best theme ( for me) from the BB score in the middle brilliantly. Again you can tell JNH wrote that. It fit's well with this idea of Dent being the "white knight" and "a symbol of hope". Even I have to admit that "Like A Dog Chasing Cars is a pretty good action cue. I think that theme fits Nolan's Batman nicely. Other than that nothing special about this score.

I don't own TDKR score. I'll get it eventually b/c I own the other two as well as some other Batman scores from the B:TAS and some from the previous franchise. I didn't really notice anything special with this score in the context of the movie. There was a lot rehashed tracks from the last films which I must admit was a little distracting as was the sound mix. I can tell JNH was absent on this one. He was the heart of the previous two scores. This score was lacking some of that heart, imo.

But yeah I agree Zimmer is a strong composer at times, "Gladiator", "Hannibal", "Th DaVinci Code", "Angels & Demons", and "Sherlock Holmes" are all proof of that. I just think his Batman scores didn't bring the best out of him.

Hopefully. Just would've been nice to see somebody like Don Davis or somebody bold get hired like the way Thomas Newman was for Skyfall. I know he's a regular collaborator for Mendes, but still I didn't think they'd go with Newman. Definitely curious to hear how he'll approach that.

BTW, is the Megamind score album worth purchasing? I was thinking about getting a copy. I've seen the movie a while ago. Don't recall much of the score in the movie. I was just wondering if it's any better on the album before I decide to get it.
i like this theme from OST of Megamind
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 10-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #803
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
Talking score I really hope Zimmer, or whoever decides where the music goes into the film, know when to shut up and not feature music. Nothing elevates drama or action more than no music or dead silence.

I'd really like a long battle-sequence with no score at all. Just an intense sound-side with wellplaced silence and screaming/crying bystanders.
Well, if TDK and TDKR are any indication, there are quite a few times when Zimmer chooses silence for a scene. The majority of the first Bane / Batman fight is one instance. Of course, this stuff is up to the director too...

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #804
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Well, if TDK and TDKR are any indication, there are quite a few times when Zimmer chooses silence for a scene. The majority of the first Bane / Batman fight is one instance. Of course, this stuff is up to the director too...
I'll have to check them again, but yeah, of course it's something that these people are aware of during production.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #805
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
i like this theme from OST of Megamind
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Not bad. The theme is very jolly and playful in that track.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:13 AM   #806
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

I'd wish Zimmer would emulate his animation side for his live-action efforts (since those tend to be more fun and creative). A lot of his recent live-action work that involves a lot of action or explosions bore me.

And maybe a sound mix that allows all the instruments to be heard. His usage of synths and electronics in his Batman and POTC is really, really muddy. I remember hearing the brass play Inception's horn call in one of the featurettes, and it sounds more powerful and raw. And an orchestral performance of "Molossus" from BB sounds much better than the one used in the film.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 10-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #807
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
Zimmer's Dark Knight scores were superb.

I expect the same with MOS.
Same here.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #808
The Bruce
The First and Best

Hans Zimmer is a GOD! In my country they use his scores whenever something needs to be epic...Soccer matches, reality shows and celebrity cooking programs! and it works too! As long as I hear that Zimmer sound I'll watch everything! LOL

Old 10-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #809
Mindreaper21
Side-Kick

Thinking beyond the score, I find myself getting more excited about the sound effects at this point. I've just watched a video of Hans working on the sounds of "The Bat" and he really put a lot of thought into it. I wonder how Clark's space ship sounds.

=Arkham=
Origins
Asylum
City
Knight
Old 10-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #810
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Wooooosh! FRRRRRRRROOOOOM!

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #811
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

I added The Thin Red Line to my instant Netflix queue since a lot of people mention that score as noteworthy.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #812
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
I added The Thin Red Line to my instant Netflix queue since a lot of people mention that score as noteworthy.
Hans's score is chopped to pieces in that film; well, every composer has who's worked on a Terrence Malick film. Even James Horner and Alexandre Desplat had their music chopped up and re-edited in the final films. And not just cut up, but only a fraction of the music composed ends up in the film.

It's better to just YT his soundtrack album. It's fantastic... and check out his Da Vinci Code score too. I would love for his MOS score to be a mix of those two, and not his autopilot scores.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 10-15-2012, 02:21 AM   #813
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindreaper21 View Post
Thinking beyond the score, I find myself getting more excited about the sound effects at this point. I've just watched a video of Hans working on the sounds of "The Bat" and he really put a lot of thought into it. I wonder how Clark's space ship sounds.
Hans can't have worked on the Bat, he's the music composer, not the Sound editor or FX guy. Could you link me to that video?

Old 10-15-2012, 02:48 AM   #814
Mindreaper21
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
Hans can't have worked on the Bat, he's the music composer, not the Sound editor or FX guy. Could you link me to that video?
It was actually Richard King (smh, fail, fatality). Though Hans is in the video as well.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

=Arkham=
Origins
Asylum
City
Knight
Old 10-15-2012, 03:06 AM   #815
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Oh, ok, thought so. Thanks for the link, though, interesting stuff!

Old 10-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #816
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bruce View Post
Hans Zimmer is a GOD! In my country they use his scores whenever something needs to be epic...Soccer matches, reality shows and celebrity cooking programs! and it works too! As long as I hear that Zimmer sound I'll watch everything! LOL
What country are you in?

Old 10-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #817
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Is it wrong that I hope that Zimmer delivers something like this for MOS when it comes to its soundtrack?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srrAm...ure=plpp_video

Old 10-28-2012, 08:31 AM   #818
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

I love Zimmer's electronic, sound-scaping and ambient side. Mix that with some more melodic and uplifting stuff and you have my ideal Zimmer MOS score.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #819
Kane52630
ANIMUS VOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Is it wrong that I hope that Zimmer delivers something like this for MOS when it comes to its soundtrack?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
I hope it's something like this, it's got to be big and atmospheric.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 11-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #820
Zorex
No T, No Shade

Wouldn't be surprised if Zimmer delivers something like this.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

http://youtu.be/YojuqWY1I5U

Old 11-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #821
NewYorkSpider
We're Doomed

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srrAm...ure=plpp_video

Not at all. I hope Zimmer does something like this to bring out the emotions Superman goes through in the movie.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #822
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Listening to the Hobbit soundtrack made me intensely wish for Howard Shore for a comic book film. His use of traditional orchestra was a breath of fresh air amidst all the Zimmerisms dominating movie scores.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #823
SuperAl
Superman's back!

i love Time from Inception

Old 11-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #824
xmangambit
I come fom the net...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorex View Post

This is God Damn AMAZING if his does something like this I will forgive him for not using the John Williams score this is truly Heroic!

Old 11-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #825
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorex View Post

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

That actually sounds like Inception/The Amazing Spiderman/The Dark Knight all mixed into one song. Not a whistler put definitely heroic. I would like Zimmer to make something powerful like that. It doesn't have to be catchy but it would be nice.

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Closed Thread