The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #151
El Payaso
Banned User

Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

Zimmer said poor the man who was to score the next Superman movie.

I'm sorry I can't get over so much poetric justice, irony and self-owning.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #152
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

^^^It really makes him come off as a "hypocrite", but then again this is the man that called Elfman's batman theme "jolly". He should've kept his word and let another composer take a shot a scoring MOS.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #153
Sgt.Pepper
Nowhere Man

The news is surprising, yet not surprising. It'd be great if the report explained why he changed his mind. Nevertheless, I'm sure he'll produce some incredible work for the movie.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #154
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

I'd be really interested to hear what changed Zimmer's mind.

maybe he read the story/saw footage that impressed him so much it convinced him to join the project.

if so, then that's a good sign.....I guess.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 06-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #155
Sam
Im Always Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
^^^It really makes him come off as a "hypocrite", but then again this is the man that called Elfman's batman theme "jolly". He should've kept his word and let another composer take a shot a scoring MOS.
I dont see how he could be hypocrite. His previous statement was 1 and a half years ago and, lets face it, he was right. Very difficult to fill John Williams shoes for a Superman movie score.

Zack Snyder had a similar opinion about direct a Superman movie before he was hired.

The thing is: this situations changes, and ideas are created. He probably found a way to make a musically interpretation of this new Superman, specially if he read the script, saw some footage and talked to Snyder and Nolan about what this new franchise is about.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #156
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

I'm so pumped about this news.....I don't think well ever really know the truth about why he changed his mind, but whatever....I can't wait

Old 06-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #157
Black Dynamite
Side-Kick

the music from the new batman trailer makes me even more excited Zimmer is scoring supes

Old 06-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #158
Wheels
The Guy

Please create something that's instantly recognisable like your work on Pirates of the Caribbean and on Sherlock Holmes, Hans. Don't give us something that feels interchangeable.

Quote:
I gave you cookies!
-- Bo Dallas

Last edited by Wheels; 06-19-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #159
Project862006
Banned User

people still bashing bates lol

his watchmen score is so damn underrated he was able to nail the tone and atmosphere of the 1970 - 1980's that watchmen represented had a very blade runner esque sound

especially this track
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 06-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #160
hopefuldreamer
I will find him!

For the record, it's not like I'm saying I hope the MOS theme is not catchy.

I just don't thinkk it needs to try and be anywhere near the level of memorable that JW's was.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #161
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntMan View Post
Please create something that's instantly recognisable like your work on Pirates of the Caribbean and on Sherlock Holmes, Hans. Don't give us something that feels interchangeable.
That's like asking a candy company to come out with something sweet but not too sugary.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 06-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #162
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
people still bashing bates lol

his watchmen score is so damn underrated he was able to nail the tone and atmosphere of the 1970 - 1980's that watchmen represented had a very blade runner esque sound

especially this track
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
I'm 100% with you. Bates score for Watchmen was great.

Sure it was heavily Vangelis influenced (borderline aping) but he successfully pulled it off I think. It works.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Avvy by Kane

Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 06-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #163
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

I actually would have liked a more modern score by Bates on Superman...like some of what he did on 300....rather than a more traditional orchestral one or Zimmer's death-by-reverb.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 06-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #164
Boosted
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
I actually would have liked a more modern score by Bates on Superman...like some of what he did on 300....rather than a more traditional orchestral one or Zimmer's death-by-reverb.
something bates did on watchmen? hum.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #165
rondroid
synthesized

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
Whether or not you remember how a film score goes does not indicate intelligence level.

It indicates how catchy the tune is, and how often a person has heard it/cares about it.

JW theme has been around for decades, and is very distinctive and catchy. It's been used in various pop culture references and is generally just well known.

The Dark Knight's score has been around a few years. It's no where near as distinctive or memorable. It's heard in the background of the film, and that's it.

And I'll I'm saying, is that if the same is true of MOS. If MOS has the same kind of score as TDK has, it will be absolutely fine.

Because a good superhero film doesn't NEED a score like the JW one anymore. In fact, it's just not really the trend, is it?
it depends how you interperet the score, there are moments that stick in my head like the theme at the end, it's just a more nuanced. not the kind of theme that people would assume is "catchy" in the normal fashion like a song that is popular or go around humming like an idiot. i don't think thats the nature of many contemporary scores, they may not be instantly riffable but definitely memorable and way more then just the stuff you hear in the "background" of the film.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #166
Wheels
The Guy

Quote:
That's like asking a candy company to come out with something sweet but not too sugary.
Not following you. It's not like I'm saying I want something recognisable but not too recognisable. The Pirates of the Caribbean and Sherlock Holmes, scores wouldn't fit in the majority of other action films, hence they are not interchangeable.

Quote:
I gave you cookies!
-- Bo Dallas
Old 06-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #167
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
I dont see how he could be hypocrite. His previous statement was 1 and a half years ago and, lets face it, he was right. Very difficult to fill John Williams shoes for a Superman movie score.

Zack Snyder had a similar opinion about direct a Superman movie before he was hired.

The thing is: this situations changes, and ideas are created. He probably found a way to make a musically interpretation of this new Superman, specially if he read the script, saw some footage and talked to Snyder and Nolan about what this new franchise is about.
For the win.

Looking forward to hear what he does.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #168
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted View Post
something bates did on watchmen? hum.
I don't remember his score too well in it...maybe because I found the usage of classic rock songs so badly done it was distracting. BUt I actually liked some of the rock guitars mixed with atmospheric stuff in 300. Some feel that music like that can date a film, but I'm more concerned with how a movie will play now than in 20 years.

Last edited by KalMart; 06-19-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #169
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntMan View Post
Not following you. It's not like I'm saying I want something recognisable but not too recognisable. The Pirates of the Caribbean and Sherlock Holmes, scores wouldn't fit in the majority of other action films, hence they are not interchangeable.
I think Zimmer's work has gotten pretty redundant across the board...kinda' like Elfman's is in its own way. If anything, I'd like a Zimmer score that doesn't actually sound like a Zimmer score.

And POTC/Holmes I do find that you could switch a lot in between them. If you didn't know which was supposed to go to which in the first place, you could mix the two quite easily. But then the same could be said of much of Williams' stuff, too. Mostly for me, I just don't like how heavy and reverb much of Zimmer's stuff is. It could probably work fine for a movie like Superman...but even then, I like the compositions from Transformers (whoever did that) better.

Last edited by KalMart; 06-19-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #170
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

Hopefully Zimmer doesn't make it as dull, boring and unmemorable as his work in the Batman movies; especially considering he's capable of better.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #171
solidsnake86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Why exactly?

He was saying that to be respectful but frankly the John Williams score is terribly outdated. Not like another score wont work. And besides, no one besides fans really care about that.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #172
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
All the good parts from 300 were plagiarized from Elliot Goldenthal's Titus score. "Remember Us" and "Returns a King" for example -- all from Goldenthal's hand, not Bates.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 06-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #173
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
All the good parts from 300 were plagiarized from Elliot Goldenthal's Titus score. "Remember Us" and "Returns a King" for example -- all from Goldenthal's hand, not Bates.
Well then give Goldenthal a ring and get him in on it.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #174
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
Hopefully Zimmer doesn't make it as dull, boring and unmemorable as his work in the Batman movies; especially considering he's capable of better.
I strongly agree, but with Nolan and Snyder involved we'll be lucky to get something decent (musicwise).

Old 06-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #175
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

Quote:
I strongly agree, but with Nolan and Snyder involved we'll be lucky to get something decent (musicwise).
I'd put more faith into Snyder than Nolan regarding the music.

Closed Thread