The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: Worldwide Box-office predictions?
+ 300 Millions 1 5.88%
+ 400M 4 23.53%
+ 500M 7 41.18%
+ 600M 2 11.76%
+ 700M 0 0%
+ 800M 2 11.76%
900M-1 Billion 0 0%
+ 1 Billion 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-24-2012, 04:05 AM   #51
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Default Re: X-men Sequel worldwide BOX-OFFICE predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by magneto23 View Post
A sequel would do more than fine without Jackman as a leading star.
It would [again] underperform.

I can say with absolute certainty that Mangold's film will bank alot more than First Class (and with a lower budget).

FOX knows this.

Again, all you gotta do to discern how certifiable Jackman's presence is, is look at the numbers for Origins.

-$180 Million Domestic With a 37% RT rating, no IMAX/3D and a leaked workprint just a month shy of release.

-$85 Million Weekend Opening.

I remember wondering last year whether or not FOX would even follow up First Class with a sequel after its low BO. When I heard they were I was happy but dumbfounded. Now that I know they're doing DOFP it all makes sense.

Alexei Belyakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:06 AM   #52
Electrix
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
FOX tried to do a non-Wolverine film that whilst very effective didn't bring in the numbers they hoped it would - which consolidates one thing: The GA isn't ready for a Wolverine-less X-Men universe (nor should they ever be).
X-Men: First Class made more than Origins overseas and was $30m behind in the US. Considering Wolverine wasn't in the marketing and played no role in the actual film it's clear the GA will see an X-Men film because it's X-Men, regardless of Wolverine's involvement.

Wolverine has no place in a First Class sequel considering he'll have The Wolverine in 2013. I wouldn't mind his involvement if it aids the story, but he doesn't and probably won't be the focus.

Electrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:14 AM   #53
def28
Side-Kick

He will almost certainly have a place if the FC2 sequel is DOFP.

IM amazed XMO Wolverine did as well as it did. It was by far the worst X Men film, got leaked fully online before release, got scathing reviews and fan hate. I think the fact that movie made as much as it did was proof how successful the character is. Hes the most bankable character, I dont think anyone can argue that. X films can work without him just as certain comics do. He doesnt have to be in every story.

I have a feeling The Wolverine will do much better especially with Fox making better films lately.

Last edited by def28; 06-24-2012 at 04:22 AM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:35 AM   #54
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrix View Post
X-Men: First Class made more than Origins overseas and was $30m behind in the US. Considering Wolverine wasn't in the marketing and played no role in the actual film it's clear the GA will see an X-Men film because it's X-Men, regardless of Wolverine's involvement.
First Class made a mere $14 Million more internationally than Origins. Adjust for inflation & the fact that the last "team" movie made $225 Million internationally 5 years prior don't exactly make it worth braggin' about.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:43 AM   #55
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

There have been and are X-men comic books without Wolverine. He doesn't always have to be involved. The recent relaunch of Uncanny X-men is good example, which sells more than Wolverine and the X-men. He's on the same level as Xavier, Magneto, Jean, Cyclops, and Storm. And the X-men's post-Giant Size success wasn't due to Wolverine, it was because of the great writing.

Mad Ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:03 AM   #56
Electrix
Side-Kick

Quote:
First Class made a mere $14 Million more internationally than Origins. Adjust for inflation & the fact that the last "team" movie made $225 Million internationally 5 years prior don't exactly make it worth braggin' about.
It was still more popular overseas and proved the point that you don't need Wolverine in an X-Men movie for it to be successful. Fox aren't reliant on Hugh Jackman's Wolverine anymore and they could easily make a Wolverine-free sequel and it'd make even more than First Class.

Electrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:24 AM   #57
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:

Wolverine has no place in a First Class sequel considering he'll have The Wolverine in 2013. I wouldn't mind his involvement if it aids the story, but he doesn't and probably won't be the focus.
THANKS!!

all the respect to everyone, but this "Wolverine is God" talk is too much already.

Hugh Jackman is a star, yes, everybody knows that, but this franchise can live without him, and will have a bigger boxoffice sequel by sequel.

Time will show it.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:29 AM   #58
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
THANKS!!

all the respect to everyone, but this "Wolverine is God" talk is too much already.

Hugh Jackman is a star, yes, everybody knows that, but this franchise can live without him, and will have a bigger boxoffice sequel by sequel.

Time will show it.
THANK YOU.

Quote:

THANK YOU.
This is the last time I'm going to say this because I'm feeling like a broken record: the people who didn't pay money to see this usually weren't seeing it "because Wolverine's not in it!". Wolverine's presence in the last two films didn't save the movies critically, so his absence in FC wasn't a big loss for most of the GA. Why people skipped out on FC was because of X3 and Wolverine. With 4 X-Men films where one was awesome, one was alright, and two were painfully terrible, people didn't want to risk their hard-earned dollars on yet another flop. I do think the lack of notable stars was also a problem (the seemingly outofplace Kevin Bacon being the most famous, McAvoy a mildly distant second; despite her Oscar nom JenLaw was still an unknown, Fassbender was "that guy who was in Inglorious Basterds for 5 minutes", and Nicholas Hoult meant nothing to people who weren't fans of Skins). But now JenLaw is huge and well-loved because of Hunger Games and Fassbender is the man of the hour. They don't need Jackman to step in and "save" this film by headlining.

I have every confidence that 1) Wolverine will NOT be in this film and 2) FOX is learning to stand the X-Men on their own two feet without him. Don't forget, XMFC had every possible thing working against it: too-short deadlines. Budget overboard. 90% unknown cast. Absolutely abysmal marketing campaign. Even more abysmal promotional photos and posters. Competing with 2 other major superhero movies and a third Transformers film. Two films preceding it that were absolutely wretched from both comic standpoint and general audience. And yet it made 353 MILLION DOLLARS worldwide.

I do agree that the lack of Wolverine made some people go "huh?" when news of the movie first hit. But I think that's because with, again, 4 films of him, we're conditioned to expect him to be in all the X-Men movies. FC nicely began to break that trend for us and you know what, no one complained. His 30-sec cameo was perfect, and the only nod we needed for us to continue on and enjoy what X-Men without him can be (answer: amazing). I don't see Vaughn having any place for him in his story, even if it does turn out to be DOFP, and I think FOX is slowly getting smarter when it comes to letting the director have a final (or final-ish) say.

Also, frankly, if we're cementing everything that has been said about this potential sequel since May 2011(which is pretty silly but I'll play along), Vaughn is looking for one new character, someone to "be Magneto's equal". That is not Wolverine he's talking about.

blueserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #59
def28
Side-Kick

Wolverine wouldnt be a new character.

I dont think any one X men character can stand toe to toe with Magneto. It would have to be a cosmic being cause He destroys everyone. Phoenix, Scarlet Witch and Xavier are the only ones who come to mind as a possibility.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:00 AM   #60
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Wolverine wouldnt be a new character.

I dont think any one X men character can stand toe to toe with Magneto. It would have to be a cosmic being cause He destroys everyone. Phoenix, Scarlet Witch and Xavier are the only ones who come to mind as a possibility.
Technically no he's not "new" but when Vaughn made the statement I assumed he was referring to a character who didn't have a major role in XMFC.

Few people can go toe-to-toe with Magneto but Wolverine wouldn't even come close. Besides they'd be looking for a villain for him at this point, not a good guy. A good guy opponent wouldn't make any sense at this point in the game, as Magneto isn't "evil" yet. And certainly there's no reason to suspect this will be a Brotherhood vs X-Men fight. I imagine the relationship between the two sides at this point will be "stay out of our way we'll stay out of yours" until the Brotherhood does something truly unforgivable, likely at the very end of the film.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #61
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
Few people can go toe-to-toe with Magneto but Wolverine wouldn't even come close.
Who do you think?

Thinking it over a bit. Cable might fit that bill.
Quote:
Besides they'd be looking for a villain for him at this point, not a good guy. A good guy opponent wouldn't make any sense at this point in the game, as Magneto isn't "evil" yet.
Magneto is clearly a villain at the end of First class.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #62
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
THANK YOU.

THANK YOU.
This is the last time I'm going to say this because I'm feeling like a broken record: the people who didn't pay money to see this usually weren't seeing it "because Wolverine's not in it!". Wolverine's presence in the last two films didn't save the movies critically, so his absence in FC wasn't a big loss for most of the GA. Why people skipped out on FC was because of X3 and Wolverine. With 4 X-Men films where one was awesome, one was alright, and two were painfully terrible, people didn't want to risk their hard-earned dollars on yet another flop. I do think the lack of notable stars was also a problem (the seemingly outofplace Kevin Bacon being the most famous, McAvoy a mildly distant second; despite her Oscar nom JenLaw was still an unknown, Fassbender was "that guy who was in Inglorious Basterds for 5 minutes", and Nicholas Hoult meant nothing to people who weren't fans of Skins). But now JenLaw is huge and well-loved because of Hunger Games and Fassbender is the man of the hour. They don't need Jackman to step in and "save" this film by headlining.

I have every confidence that 1) Wolverine will NOT be in this film and 2) FOX is learning to stand the X-Men on their own two feet without him. Don't forget, XMFC had every possible thing working against it: too-short deadlines. Budget overboard. 90% unknown cast. Absolutely abysmal marketing campaign. Even more abysmal promotional photos and posters. Competing with 2 other major superhero movies and a third Transformers film. Two films preceding it that were absolutely wretched from both comic standpoint and general audience. And yet it made 353 MILLION DOLLARS worldwide.

I do agree that the lack of Wolverine made some people go "huh?" when news of the movie first hit. But I think that's because with, again, 4 films of him, we're conditioned to expect him to be in all the X-Men movies. FC nicely began to break that trend for us and you know what, no one complained. His 30-sec cameo was perfect, and the only nod we needed for us to continue on and enjoy what X-Men without him can be (answer: amazing). I don't see Vaughn having any place for him in his story, even if it does turn out to be DOFP, and I think FOX is slowly getting smarter when it comes to letting the director have a final (or final-ish) say.

Also, frankly, if we're cementing everything that has been said about this potential sequel since May 2011(which is pretty silly but I'll play along), Vaughn is looking for one new character, someone to "be Magneto's equal". That is not Wolverine he's talking about.
Totally agreed with most of your points, if not all.

This new franchise/cast has an AMAZING potential, and with Fox having a new philosophy and the new team (Vaughn, Singer and Godman), this franchise will only become better and better as time passes. And we all will see it.

Im excited!

Old 06-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #63
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Who do you think?

Thinking it over a bit. Cable might fit that bill.

Magneto is clearly a villain at the end of First class.
I'm not sure to be honest. A lot of me hopes it isn't true because Matthew Vaughn's ableist comments about Charles are effing infuriating. As you pointed out, Charles is one of a tiny handful of characters who can take Magneto so I'm baffled (and, once again, infuriated) by Vaughn's explanation that "because he's in a wheelchair we need someone else to fight Magneto". It's not as if Charles' power or person lay in his ability to walk.

That said it isn't time for Charles to fight him. Not yet. Erik isn't a true villain yet, he's just very much on his way (and will likely truly get there by the end of the sequel). If anything they need a villain that prompts them to team up again, however temporary. Their relationship needs some more complicated frenemy transitioning before they start all-out battling each other.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #64
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

People need to let go of their prejudge of wolverine because of The Last Stand.Fox of 2012 Isn't Fox of 2005.They avoided many mistakes.Plus you
have Bryan Singer producing and most likely Involved In story and Matthew Vaughn Directing and Is or will revise script with Jane Goldman.

Hugh Jackman as Wolverine will help Increase the box office.That's a fact.expecilly with Domestic Box Office.If we don't want The Last Stand to remain
the highest grossing film In series.Now Wolverine might only be In opening 20 to 25 Minute sequenze set In future but people are deluding themselves
If they think they are doing days of future past and not having actors from previous trilogy In It.Singer last year mentioned possabilty of Jackman In
First Class sequel.It's fairly obvious they took Singer's Ideas for X4 and combined them with first Class sequel.

marvelrobbins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #65
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
It was still more popular overseas and proved the point that you don't need Wolverine in an X-Men movie for it to be successful. Fox aren't reliant on Hugh Jackman's Wolverine anymore and they could easily make a Wolverine-free sequel and it'd make even more than First Class.
Again, how can you deem it "more popular" than Origins with just $14 Million not adjusted for inflation?

Again, the last "team" film, which starred Jackman made $18 Million more internationally. Add 5 years of inflation to that & you're lookin' at some pretty lackluster numbers for First Class.

Another thing to note, is that Origins was a solo film. "Team" films are expected to perform better. Specially when they're well received critically.

Origins wasn't yet still smoked First Class' BO.

For you to think another X-Men movie without Wolverine would somehow make more money is just wishful thinking. First Class had the good reviews, it just didn't appeal to the GA the way Wolverine does.

When Mangold's film makes $200+ Million Domestic, my thoughts on all this will be proven further as will FOX's decision to adapt an X-Men story that adds Wolverine to the mix in favor of one that doesn't.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #66
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
THANKS!!

Time will show it.
Your [tremendous] bias for Wolverine is clearly preventing you from looking at any of this objectively.

You're still championing a First Class sequel in favor of DOFP despite the fact that DOFP is a response to Whedon's success with The Avengers.

You realize studios make these films to make money, right?

First Class underperformed & a straightforward sequel would probably follow suit.

DOFP is pretty much a guaranteed blockbuster.

Yes, it would require some adjustments with focus on the cast, but that shouldn't be an issue since this is a dream come true for [most of us] comic fans.

Stop worrying about Wolverine's involvement or the focus shifting from whatever it was going to be (which we really don't know) to serve the DOFP story.

And if you really wanna get hyped, read the comic. I highly doubt you'll be dissatisfied.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #67
Angamb
Banned User

Alexei, I understand all your points...

but as you can see in different topics, Im not the only one.

of course all studios want money, but Fox executives told they were really pleased with the First Class results. And they already know a sequel would bring more money.

Many fans probably want Wolverine, but many dont want him, so...... this discussion could have no end.

And personally, I think Ive said my opinion about it, the same as others.

So Id like u to understand it, and lets move on to other issues.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #68
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Your [tremendous] bias for Wolverine is clearly preventing you from looking at any of this objectively.
Your tremendous, obnoxious, and incredibly annoying shilling of Wolverine has turned into trolling at this point (again).

Knock off the attitude, stop acting like you're the lord of all things X-Men, and stop aggravating the everyone here. They haven't done anything to provoke this nonsense from you.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #69
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

He makes good point even though he can come off as shilling for Wolverine.

Hugh jackman and other X-Men trilogy vets help get attention for this film.This helps
top the Last Stand's box office.By hope If to top First Class's domestic take by 100
Million and thus days of future past becomes highet grossing film In Series.

I have started a thread speculating on what the big epic Days of future Past film could
bring us with Wolverine as one who travels back In time.

First Class did better International and Days of future Past probally would top It but we
also need to be concerned about domestic Box Office.

I strongly disagree with those who claim having original trilogy actors would be slamming the film.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #70
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
He makes good point even though he can come off as shilling for Wolverine.

Hugh jackman and other X-Men trilogy vets help get attention for this film.This helps
top the Last Stand's box office.By hope If to top First Class's domestic take by 100
Million and thus days of future past becomes highet grossing film In Series.

I have started a thread speculating on what the big epic Days of future Past film could
bring us with Wolverine as one who travels back In time.

First Class did better International and Days of future Past probally would top It but we
also need to be concerned about domestic Box Office.

I strongly disagree with those who claim having original trilogy actors would be slamming the film.
First, not to be mean marvel but can you please spellcheck/grammarcheck your posts? I find them incredibly difficult to read and I'm sure you have interesting points to make.

Next, I second Angamb. Can we please please move on from Wolverine? I get many people feel he's a big factor in determining the BO predictions but clearly it's an eternal argument. I'll start a new one:

IMHO one of the biggest reasons XMFC flopped was the marketing campaign (those silhouette posters alone prevented me from seeing the movie at first). What do you think it could do to step that up? And a kinda side note, anyone have any idea at all how much budget is usually spent on marketing?

Old 06-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #71
Angamb
Banned User

Im not sure about marketing budget, I remember reading news about other films marketing, but dont remember the numbers itself...... I guess some studios could spend 50 millions or so..... while others much less than that.

about the marketing campaign for the sequel..... Im sure they'll have better posters this time. And as some have said, probably a spot during 2014 superbowl and a San diego appareance next year.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #72
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

And so ends the Alexei show for the summer.

Carry on as you were, people.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #73
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Here we go again.

I have no attitude & I'm just a guy who's been reading X-Men comics for 30 years.

It is MY RIGHT as a member of this board to engage in respectful debate within these forums including those you moderate.

I haven't flamed anyone on here and my OPINION cannot be deemed as "trolling" just because you disagree with it.

I'm tired of you using your status as a moderator to attack my thoughts and opinions.

Its your job to moderate these boards, not censor them.
In fairness, you do sound like you are Hugh Jackman's agent.

Some people don't want Wolverine dominating another movie. Iron Man never dominated Avengers, even though Downey Jr tried to take over the film at the beginning of production.

I think McKellen's Magneto got it right in X2 when he said, in the scene around the campfire before they headed to Alkali Lake: "Once again Wolverine, you think it's all about you."

There is a balance to be struck here. Wolverine already has his own movie coming out. Mangold's The Wolverine seems kinda redundant if we are going to see the character headline the next First Class film.

Just because Jackman is godfather to one of Rupert Murdoch's daughters doesn't give him right to take over this franchise. There are a gazillion other characters we haven't even seen yet.

Jackman is not a guaranteed box office draw either, as evidenced by Australia (worthy drivel), The Prestige (actually a good thriller) and Van Helsing (truly diabolical).

And, notably, the X-Men films where he has been centre stage (X3 and XMO:Wolverine) have been the least well-received. In addition, the one film where he became a producer (XMO: Wolverine) was the worst of the bunch with fan-enraging changes like Barakapool.

So, let's not get too carried away...

Last edited by X-Maniac; 06-24-2012 at 01:21 PM.
X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #74
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

To be fair Hugh Jackman did help get van Helsing to 120 Million Domestic gross.Reel Steel had good opening because of him.

Just because The Last Stand didn't balance things right doesn't mean you can't have a good X-Men film with Wolverine In It.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #75
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

And Real Steel was really good. Sad that that movie didn't do as well (although it did OK) when garbage like Transformers continues to do well.

But no, the franchise can certainly move on without him at this point. Trust me, he has plenty of fans who wish that he would.