The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > The Cutting Room Floor

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #51
Batman jr.
Proud Nolanite
 
Batman jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,971
Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - Part 9

Brad Pitt is an extremely good actor, better than Johnny

Batman jr. is offline  
Old 06-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #52
DarkSovereignty
Ooga Chakka
 
DarkSovereignty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Shatterdome
Posts: 14,367
Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - Part 9

I'll agree with that actually. I don't think I've ever actually seen pitt go on auto pilot, even in less then stellar stuff like mr. and mrs. smith at least he has fun with it and amps up the charm.

__________________
http://dapperfowl.wordpress.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateJustin View Post
To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Welcome to the hype, we hate fun #gategate #SeriousBusiness
H.E
DarkSovereignty is online now  
Old 06-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #53
Batman jr.
Proud Nolanite
 
Batman jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,971
Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSovereignty View Post
I'll agree with that actually. I don't think I've ever actually seen pitt go on auto pilot, even in less then stellar stuff like mr. and mrs. smith at least he has fun with it and amps up the charm.
I once got into a little discussion with a female co-worker about Pitt & Depp. I said that BP is a much better actor, she said he's not, because JD is hotter and BP sometimes alters his appearance too much, to the point that he becomes ugly.

But isn't that good acting? I mean, look at Christian Bale in The Machinist. The guy could've been dead!

Batman jr. is offline  
Old 06-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #54
DarkSovereignty
Ooga Chakka
 
DarkSovereignty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Shatterdome
Posts: 14,367
Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - Part 9

it sounds like your friend isn't really judging them based on their "acting" lol.

__________________
http://dapperfowl.wordpress.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateJustin View Post
To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Welcome to the hype, we hate fun #gategate #SeriousBusiness
H.E
DarkSovereignty is online now  
Old 06-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #55
Batman jr.
Proud Nolanite
 
Batman jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,971
Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSovereignty View Post
it sounds like your friend isn't really judging them based on their "acting" lol.
Haha indeed. But still, Brad Pitt is a lot more versatile, especially when comparing him with the Johnny Depp since the POTC-days. He had a lot of potential, look at Donnie Brasco, but he's stuck in the same mode for about ten years now. It's boring & easy imho.

Batman jr. is offline  
Old 06-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #56
El Payaso
Banned User
 
El Payaso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rubbing your rhubarb.
Posts: 15,263
Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - Part 9

I haven't seen all Brad Pitt movies, far from it, but I consider him a very so-so actor that has taken decades to achieve an okay acting level. What he lacks of is charisma, which other actors such as Depp have. Pitt can now act as a character with charisma but he doesn't have any himself.

El Payaso is offline  
Old 06-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #57
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.
 
Mrs. Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 24,554
Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - Part 9

I disagree about Brad Pitt's charisma. While he's no Depp in terms of it, I definitely wouldn't say he has none. Movies like Fight Club and Inglorious Basterds shows he has some charisma.

And in terms of Depp vs. Pitt, I say that Pitt has done much better over the last 10 years at disappearing into a role better than Depp has. Depp used to be able to do that, but not so much anymore.

__________________
The things I do to win a Deathmatch.


Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Mrs. Sawyer will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Mrs. Sawyer is offline  
Old 06-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #58
Batman jr.
Proud Nolanite
 
Batman jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,971
Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
I haven't seen all Brad Pitt movies, far from it, but I consider him a very so-so actor that has taken decades to achieve an okay acting level. What he lacks of is charisma, which other actors such as Depp have. Pitt can now act as a character with charisma but he doesn't have any himself.
Charisma alone isn't what makes an actor. Oldman has it, but he's a chameleon, just because it seems like he becomes the character, even though he actually hates that phrase lol.

Depp now playes Jack Sparrow over & over, and for some reason a lot of people still buy that. Compare Pitt in Inglorious Basterds to Meet Joe Black.

Hell, Tom Hardy has more charisma than Depp, and I hope he'll have a big breakthrough with TDKR.

Batman jr. is offline  
Old 06-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #59
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.
 
Mrs. Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 24,554
Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
I disagree that it would be lazy. It could be really cool. I don't think it's necessarily, and I won't say I prefer it, but I'd be totally okay if they choose to go that route.

Personally, the one thing I'd always like to see - and they'd never actually make this, as it wouldn't have mass appeal - is a Spider-Man movie that's set in the '60s, and focuses mainly on his relationship with Gwen Stacy - kinda like Spider-Man: Blue. That would be incredible.
I love that graphic novel. One of my most favorite ever, with one of the best endings to a story. "Peter, I miss her too."

__________________
The things I do to win a Deathmatch.


Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Mrs. Sawyer will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Mrs. Sawyer is offline  
Old 06-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #60
El Payaso
Banned User
 
El Payaso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rubbing your rhubarb.
Posts: 15,263
Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
I disagree about Brad Pitt's charisma. While he's no Depp in terms of it, I definitely wouldn't say he has none. Movies like Fight Club and Inglorious Basterds shows he has some charisma.
As I said, Pitt can act charisma but he has barely some himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
And in terms of Depp vs. Pitt, I say that Pitt has done much better over the last 10 years at disappearing into a role better than Depp has. Depp used to be able to do that, but not so much anymore.
The choices, yes. I'm talking only acting-wise.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman jr. View Post
Charisma alone isn't what makes an actor. Oldman has it, but he's a chameleon, just because it seems like he becomes the character, even though he actually hates that phrase lol.
Charisma is essential if you want people to keep their eyes on your character. And I understand Oldman. As an actor you work hard to create the illusion but you don't become the character. If you did, then you're a schizo and a crappy actor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman jr. View Post
Depp now playes Jack Sparrow over & over, and for some reason a lot of people still buy that. Compare Pitt in Inglorious Basterds to Meet Joe Black.
Odd, I didn't remember Sparrow in Sweeney Todd.

I'd love to compare both Pitt's characters but I won't put myself in torment by watching Joe Black.

Suffice to say that Pitt did the only weak part acting-woise in a movie that, otherwise would have been perfect: Se7en. And during the climax, mind you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman jr. View Post
Hell, Tom Hardy has more charisma than Depp, and I hope he'll have a big breakthrough with TDKR.
I haven't seen anything Tom Hardy. But I don't doubt your statement. That says nothing about Pitt though.

El Payaso is offline  
Old 06-24-2012, 04:27 PM   #61
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.
 
Mrs. Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 24,554
Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
As I said, Pitt can act charisma but he has barely some himself.
I wouldn't say barely, I would say he has an good amount, but not as much as other stars.

__________________
The things I do to win a Deathmatch.


Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Mrs. Sawyer will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Mrs. Sawyer is offline  
Old 06-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #62
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.
 
CConn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Peter North's Southern Headquarters
Posts: 57,587
Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - Part 9

I think Pitt has improved as an actor more recently.

Benjamin Button, Inglorious Bastards, Moneyball, Snatch, etc. all featured extremely strong performances by him in a pretty varied and diverse collection of characters.

The Brad Pitt of the mid-90s didn't have nearly that amount of charm or quality. Maybe it was all the pot.

CConn is offline  
Old 06-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #63
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.
 
gwynplaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,126
Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - Part 9

Speaking of pot, I thought he was one of the best things in True Romance.

__________________

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/bipolar/id867778921



gwynplaine is offline  
Old 06-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #64
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.
 
Mrs. Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 24,554
Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - Part 9

I see what you did there.

__________________
The things I do to win a Deathmatch.


Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Mrs. Sawyer will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Mrs. Sawyer is offline  
Old 06-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #65
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.
 
gwynplaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,126
Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - Part 9

I like Pitt and Depp and I think they have both improved a lot over the years. (I wish Depp would slow down a bit on the heavy made-up, ott performances though.)
That said, I have yet to see any of them give a performance on the level of Matt Damon in "The Talented Mr. Ripley", Di Caprio in "Blood Diamond" or Heath Ledger in "Candy," "TDK" or "Brokeback Mountain."
Speaking of actors who have improved over the years, "The Descendants" was the 1st time I was really impressed by a Clooney performance. I thought he was pretty subtle and showed a greater range that I had seen before.

__________________

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/bipolar/id867778921



gwynplaine is offline  
Old 06-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #66
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.
 
gwynplaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,126
Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
I see what you did there.

__________________

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/bipolar/id867778921



gwynplaine is offline  
Old 06-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #67
jaymes_e06
TRINITY
 
jaymes_e06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indiana unfortunately....
Posts: 15,405
Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - Part 9

Brad Pitt is much more like Channing Tatum; he gets a lot of chances because he is pretty and eventually got the hang of acting. Depp had more raw talent IMO.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Holy s***, Jennifer Lawrence. How many f***ing nude pictures do you have? Every new fappening, there's like 30 more pictures.

:o
jaymes_e06 is online now  
Old 06-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #68
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.
 
Mrs. Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 24,554
Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - Part 9

I don't think Pitt and Tatum should be in the same sentence. Even early Pitt wasn't that bad.

__________________
The things I do to win a Deathmatch.


Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Mrs. Sawyer will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Mrs. Sawyer is offline  
Old 06-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #69
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.
 
gwynplaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,126
Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - Part 9

I think it's you who said that Tatum should stick to comedy or something to that effect, Parker.
I don't know if you're right but he certainly really improved his game in 21st Jump St.
Comedy is hard, so I was pretty impressed. It's too early to say, but maybe with the right material he will be able to grow into a really interesting actor in the future, who knows?

__________________

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/bipolar/id867778921



gwynplaine is offline  
Old 06-24-2012, 11:42 PM   #70
El Payaso
Banned User
 
El Payaso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rubbing your rhubarb.
Posts: 15,263
Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
I think Pitt has improved as an actor more recently.
Good for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
Benjamin Button, Inglorious Bastards, Moneyball, Snatch, etc. all featured extremely strong performances by him in a pretty varied and diverse collection of characters.
Benjamin Buttons was merely him in different make-ups. There is no true character behind. Inglorious Basterds is the classic case I have been mentioning: a character made empathic by the script that Pitt acted correctly. But far from strong.

In Se7en he had his big opportunity in real drama and he ruined the climax with his amateur acting. What's in the baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
The Brad Pitt of the mid-90s didn't have nearly that amount of charm or quality. Maybe it was all the pot.
Surely great quality stuff.

El Payaso is offline  
Old 06-24-2012, 11:48 PM   #71
HighFivingMF
Welp.
 
HighFivingMF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 14,144
Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynplaine View Post
I like Pitt and Depp and I think they have both improved a lot over the years. (I wish Depp would slow down a bit on the heavy made-up, ott performances though.)
That said, I have yet to see any of them give a performance on the level of Matt Damon in "The Talented Mr. Ripley", Di Caprio in "Blood Diamond" or Heath Ledger in "Candy," "TDK" or "Brokeback Mountain."
Depp in Ed Wood is one of my favorite performances ever. But other than that, I tend to agree.

__________________
I like Ben Affleck.
HighFivingMF is online now  
Old 06-24-2012, 11:58 PM   #72
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.
 
gwynplaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,126
Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
Depp in Ed Wood is one of my favorite performances ever. But other than that, I tend to agree.

Great performance I agree (maybe his best), and great movie too.

__________________

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/bipolar/id867778921



gwynplaine is offline  
Old 06-25-2012, 12:15 AM   #73
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.
 
CConn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Peter North's Southern Headquarters
Posts: 57,587
Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Good for him.
Don't say things just to be a dick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Benjamin Buttons was merely him in different make-ups. There is no true character behind. Inglorious Basterds is the classic case I have been mentioning: a character made empathic by the script that Pitt acted correctly. But far from strong.

In Se7en he had his big opportunity in real drama and he ruined the climax with his amateur acting. What's in the baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax....
I dunno, it kinda sounds to me like you're throwing multiple performances in the trash just because you were dissatisfied with a single performance from like 15 years ago now.

I'm not saying he's a phenomenal actor. But relative difficulty level aside, Benjamin Button was a likeable character, as was Aldo memorable, as well Mickey O'Neil. Those are characters that will/have be getting quoted and talked since their respective movies came out. That's at least says something positive about his overall persona.

__________________
It's like a non-consecutive 24-hour dance party.
CConn is offline  
Old 06-25-2012, 12:19 AM   #74
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.
 
CConn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Peter North's Southern Headquarters
Posts: 57,587
Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - Part 9

Eh, I'd say Depp's had a few really good performances:

Ed Wood, Edward Scissorhands, Donnie Brasco, Fear and Loathing. I hear he was great in Blow too, although I've never seen it.

Personally, I would say Jack Sparrow is very similar to Ledger's Joker in terms of memorability and quot-a-bility. Ledger's performance was definitely better, but Depp definitely interjected something special into that character.

__________________
It's like a non-consecutive 24-hour dance party.
CConn is offline  
Old 06-25-2012, 12:29 AM   #75
Max J Power
Trash Boat
 
Max J Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,063
Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
Personally, I think Thunderball isn't over or underrated. It's a great movie, but I don't find it to be as good as From Russia With Love or Goldfinger with Connery's movies. While the underwater scenes were groundbreaking at the time, it's dated by how overbearingly long they are. Those scenes early in the movie kill the pacing of the movie, and

I made a personal ranking of favorite Bond movies: Here are all the Bond movies I think are better than Thunderball (which I have at #7).

1. From Russia With Love
2. Goldeneye
3. Goldfinger
4. The Spy Who Loved Me
5. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
6. Casino Royale
Except for The Spy Who Loved Me, I agree that all those are better than Thunderball. I think Dr. No is better as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynplaine View Post
Speaking of actors who have improved over the years, "The Descendants" was the 1st time I was really impressed by a Clooney performance. I thought he was pretty subtle and showed a greater range that I had seen before.
I thought Up in the Air was the movie that put him on that level. I liked Clooney a lot before that, though I'll admit his prior performances didn't have the emotional complexity that Up in the Air and The Descendants did.

As for Pitt and Depp, I'd definitely say Pitt's been better in the last 12 years or so, but comparing each actor's best performances, I can't quite decide.

__________________
- "As chance would have it, I have won the Pulitzer Prize, and so I am qualified. Speaking in my official capacity as a Pulitzer Prize winner, Mr. Schneider, your movie sucks."--Roger Ebert
Max J Power is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.