Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #76
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!

Default Re: Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 2

Holy crap, that finale was awesome!!!

Just a few things:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
-Noatok being Tarlokk's brother makes perfect sense. Tarlokk wanted to escape his father's shadow by making a better person of himself and showing that he wasn't a weak person, while Noatok (Amon) wanted to rid the world of the one thing he saw as weak: bending.

Really sad that Tarlokk decided to end it just when they both started reconciling with each other.

-General Iroh is just awesome! I loved the creative ways he used his firebending, like systematically launching himself at one plane with firebending, hijacking it, taking another out with lightning, moving on to the next plane, etc. He definitely lives up to the name!

-Points to Mako for directing lightning at Amon, in close proximity, while in a bloodbending hold. Even Amon was caught off guard.

-Korra finally airbending (against Amon, no less) was awesome! It was like at the end of The Matrix when Neo comes back to life and goes all "The One" on those Agents' butts!

-"Well, that's a bummer. I guess we'll have to wait 'til next seas--hey, what's Tenzin doing ther--OMGAANG!!!! KORRA'SEYES ARE GLOWING!!!! KORRAGOTHERBENDINGBACK!!! " *cue Foamy Mouth Guy .gif*

All in all, great finale! Can't wait to see what Season 2 has in store!

5-.-2-.-14

Old 06-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #77
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

I do think Amon knew what Tarlok was doing (note the tear). It's kind of left up to interpretation. Never thought Avatar would go Of Mice and Men.

This episode should get an award.

Last edited by Thundercrack85; 06-23-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #78
davidwilson
New User - Level 0

This is amazing.. I like to watch this Type of serial... this serial action and drama is too good ..

Old 06-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #79
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
I do think Amon knew what Tarlok was doing (note the tear). It's kind of left up to interpretation. Never thought Avatar would go Of Mice and Men.

This episode should get an award.
I agree, an award is definitely in order.

A few questions for you guys. If you don't want to answer them all feel free to pick the ones you want. Sorry I'm curious though:

1. Do you think that season two should & will continue with Korra or should they setup seasons 2 & 3 with stories on subsequent avatars?

2. Would you like it if they told one avatar per season, so that we're shown more avatars during different periods?

Do you think that Korra's bending should have been restored in a later season as she sets off to find out how to return it or remaster the bending styles?

Is it me or did Lin seem to get stronger after her bending is returned? I asked this because of the effortless levitation of the rocks and Bolin's response.

Did Iroh/Dante's voice seem out of place given the age and rank of the character of Iroh?

Were you happy with how they handled the fighting of the United forces or do you think that the United forces should have been able to put up a bigger fight?

Did Iroh live up to your expectations of bada**ness lol? Or do you think that even Maako could take him?

8. Should season 2 continue right after the timeframe of season 1 or should there be a time gap and show an older Korra?

9. Who would petition with me to get an uncensored DVD that showed bending fights really hurting people and blood bending killing people lol?

Would you be upset if Amon survived?

Xbox- XKdaAssassin (me and my son's...so be mindful of language used. Thanks!)
Old 06-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #80
Tanin
Side-Kick

Now for the long wait!

Old 06-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #81
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Well, I've been underwhelmed by several characters. Tenzin really isn't much of a fighter. I really expected more from him, being the first true living Airbending master, and the son of Aang. If it wasn't for a few scenes where he did do some fighting, he would come off as a real pushover. I didn't expect too much from Iroh. But he is actually a good fighter. He was basically a one man army-, well air force.

The thing about the naval battle is, that it makes sense if you take into account that they had never had to deal with fast attack aircraft before. They're used to dealing with large, slow-moving airships. They have very limited anti-air weaponry. In real life, dive bombers would actually easily destroy early dreadnought battleships.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #82
sandwraith
The Trailblazer Awakens

So...can we go without the spoiler tags yet?

Well, just in case.

Ok, guys whoever called the brother angle between Amon and Tarlokk, congrats. I was a wee bit annoyed at the initial revelation but the back story was so well done I actually felt for Tarlokk.

Also, I find it humorous that Bryan and Mike went through great lengths to ensure that every scene of a plane getting shot down was animated with a dude parachuting out like any kids show would do...but has no qualms about
a bad-ass murder/suicide

Korra being able to Airbend suddenly feels a little suspect but so was Aang suddenly able to reset his Avatar State in the his battle with Ozai.

And while his plan was on the verge of being wrecked, you have to hand to Amon, he took precautions with all that fake scarring.

A satisfying finale. I agree that the scene with Noatok and Tarrlok should have been the closing scene, an almost Shakespearian epilogue but THAT would have been way too dark for a kids show.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #83
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwraith View Post
A satisfying finale. I agree that the scene with Noatok and Tarrlok should have been the closing scene, an almost Shakespearian epilogue but THAT would have been way too dark for a kids show.
I would have liked that scene more if the explosion was silent and you just heard music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Black View Post

A few questions for you guys. If you don't want to answer them all feel free to pick the ones you want. Sorry I'm curious though:

1. Do you think that season two should & will continue with Korra or should they setup seasons 2 & 3 with stories on subsequent avatars?

2. Would you like it if they told one avatar per season, so that we're shown more avatars during different periods?

Do you think that Korra's bending should have been restored in a later season as she sets off to find out how to return it or remaster the bending styles?

Is it me or did Lin seem to get stronger after her bending is returned? I asked this because of the effortless levitation of the rocks and Bolin's response.

Did Iroh/Dante's voice seem out of place given the age and rank of the character of Iroh?

Were you happy with how they handled the fighting of the United forces or do you think that the United forces should have been able to put up a bigger fight?

Did Iroh live up to your expectations of bada**ness lol? Or do you think that even Maako could take him?

8. Should season 2 continue right after the timeframe of season 1 or should there be a time gap and show an older Korra?

9. Who would petition with me to get an uncensored DVD that showed bending fights really hurting people and blood bending killing people lol?

Answers in spoiler.

1. I wouldn't mind since that ending was pretty much perfect if they left it there. However, I think they are doing more with Korra and I do want to see Zuko again.

2. That'd be interesting but you'd lose out on developing characters over longer periods of time.

3. I thought that was going to happen but I'm glad I didn't. We already saw that with Aang. It would have seemed kind of repetitive with Korra.

4. Kind of doubt it. In that scenario, she didn't have to focus on fighting, just moving them.

5. I thought that last week but I think it was fine. He looked younger when his uniform was torn so the voice fit then. I assume he's 25ish.

6. I think it was fine. In that scenario, bombers and mines would cripple a fleet (which was only 10 ships). The UF were prepared for a naval/land battle, not one in the air.

7. He lived up to his expectations. Mako seems surprisngly proficient at lightning generation, but Iroh's firebending seems more advanced and he can probably lightning bend just as well. Plus, we all know Iroh is a master dual swordsman.

8. Maybe a year to a few months but I wouldn't go 5-10 years beyond. It's up to them though.

9. I wouldn't care. A lot of older cartoons are pretty vague when it came to characters dying. Besides, we just saw two people get blown up.

10. Depends on how they used him again.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #84
sandwraith
The Trailblazer Awakens

Quote:
Well, I've been underwhelmed by several characters. Tenzin really isn't much of a fighter. I really expected more from him, being the first true living Airbending master, and the son of Aang. If it wasn't for a few scenes where he did do some fighting, he would come off as a real pushover. I didn't expect too much from Iroh. But he is actually a good fighter. He was basically a one man army-, well air force.

The thing about the naval battle is, that it makes sense if you take into account that they had never had to deal with fast attack aircraft before. They're used to dealing with large, slow-moving airships. They have very limited anti-air weaponry. In real life, dive bombers would actually easily destroy early dreadnought battleships.

Please see: British Naval Force Z. Perhaps mirroring the exact same order of battle that happened in Republic City.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #85
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

I was expecting her to go into "Avatar mode" when Amon tried to "equalize her". Kind of like how Aang went into it when Yakone blood-bended him. But I didn't dislike the way they did it.

Yeah, the parachute thing is a ridiculous cliche. Maybe the censors were watching Spongebob and missed the murder / suicide thing?

Old 06-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #86
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwraith View Post
Please see: British Naval Force Z. Perhaps mirroring the exact same order of battle that happened in Republic City.
And those ships actually had decent anti-air...

People often underestimate how deadly planes can be.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #87
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

Default Re: Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanin View Post
My favorite part was Bumi's entrance and Tenzin's reaction to his brother.
Agreed, that scene was really funny.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #88
sandwraith
The Trailblazer Awakens

Quote:
I was expecting her to go into "Avatar mode" when Amon tried to "equalize her". Kind of like how Aang went into it when Yakone blood-bended him. But I didn't dislike the way they did it.

Yeah, the parachute thing is a ridiculous cliche. Maybe the censors were watching Spongebob and missed the murder / suicide thing?

DC Animated has managed to circumvent some stuff which should have been "censored" per se. I think animation directors/writers are smartening up to what they can or can't show. I for one hope LoK serves as a benchmark for Western animation in terms of balance of storytelling, animation quality and music. They've set the bar high to be sure. And you can see how this took them, what...2...maybe 3 years to complete?

Well worth the wait.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #89
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

Old 06-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #90
sandwraith
The Trailblazer Awakens

Is it just me or was Noatak designed to be quite a good-looking man

Also, I just realized what a monster Yakone was. To force that kind of legacy on your kids, and to have them do it to each other. Seriously, WTF?

Darthskywalker, I guess you were close. Not really mommy issues. But does this qualify as daddy issues? Noatak seemed a little off when his discovered his...dark gift.

Last edited by sandwraith; 06-23-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #91
Rocanrol
Psiconautiq

I though that when unlocking the avatar state, Korra was unlocking the "unbending" done to her by Amon. Bending all four elements was a pretty neat explanation.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #92
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:

My guess is they made a compromise. Show every pilot parachuting out and you'll get your 2 deaths at the end.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #93
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Thanks for the reply Spidey-Bat. I appreciate your responses.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #94
sandwraith
The Trailblazer Awakens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey-Bat View Post
My guess is they made a compromise. Show every pilot parachuting out and you'll get your 2 deaths at the end.
The deaths weren't the issue. Its the manner of which they were done in. I really don't remember if there was any cartoon series that has done something like that at least not in animation targeted at a specific demographic.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #95
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Well the thing about the explosion is that though the boat exploded it was still implied in a way, especially for younger viewers. Yes, I know some of you will say know it was explicit, but the creators probably were able to convince them the it was implicit.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #96
Asgard
Kanga Fu

Im glad there are others that felt a disconnect between Iroh's voice and the character.

It took me awhile to adjust to a teenager sounding voice coming out of an adult. Iroh's a complete badass though. I really dug the use of firebending to "fly".

Anon and Tarrlok's ending was pretty bleak. Sad how life ended up for them because they were unfortunate to have Yakone as a father.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #97
UrbanX

Anyone else notice that child Amon was voiced by the same voice actor of Aang in the original show? If it's not him, they sound like the same person.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #98
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanX View Post
Anyone else notice that child Amon was voiced by the same voice actor of Aang in the original show? If it's not him, they sound like the same person.
Dude I noticed that too but then said to myself that the voice actor who played Aang would be much older now.

But whoever voiced Amon as a kid sounded identical to when that VA was playing Aang in the beginning of the first show.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Avvy by Kane

Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 06-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #99
sandwraith
The Trailblazer Awakens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Black View Post

1. I'm sure they will continue with Korra seeing as she has already become the Avatar of this generation of viewers. Any subsequent seasons, hopeful 2&3 will be written in tandem and have links to one another. As to whether I would want another Series featuring yet another Avatar....Well...not for a long time. See, sometimes if series keep being churned out one after the other, it loses its specialness. Not too many may agree but if the creators decide to revisit the Avatar franchise it should be when the fandom has cooled it heels a little.

2. No. Not really. If it were a different Avatar for a different season the viewership won't be able to connect with the characters. Assuming each Avatar has his/her own little Team Avatar, enemy and setting. It would be interesting if it were done as a Chronicles type graphic novel like what Star Wars has been doing but not in animated media unless they did some kind of Animatrix type concept where they compile a DVD feature of different animators take on the Avatar concept.

3. I kind of felt that it should but then I recall that the creators' emphasis that each Book/Season is self-contained so I didn't really expect it. What did surprise me was that they were quick to resolve the cheesy romance angle and enshrine MaKorra

4. Nope. Not really.

5. Yes. But its nostalgia so its forgivable. Dante Basco isn't exactly Keven Conroy/Peter Cullen/Michael Ironside caliber of voice acting but his voice is special to this franchise. I give it a easy pass.

6. Not so much disappointed but I kind of expected them to have their asses handed to them, no small part thanks to the trailer for the finale that was aired 2 WEEKS ago. If there was one thing that should have been omitted from the teaser it should have been the planes.

7. Oh Iroh(II)'s definitely badass. Fearless, heroic, maybe way too cool. Could Mako take him? Nah. Iroh's a soldier. Mako's an athlete. Different strokes.

8. Not too long. Maybe a period after Korra's returned all the bending to everyone who she deems worthy (which should be interesting when that line reaches Tahno).

9. No. I want this show to be enjoyed by parents and kids. A couple of open wounds and a wee bit of blood is okay but actual full on violence? Nah. I want kids to able to take from this show a good story with a great meaning and parents to be able to sit through it without cringing at the violence and/or how kiddy the story is.

10. Absolutely.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #100
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

I'm not one of those "think of the children" people, but to kids watching this (and it is at least meant to be a show appropriate for kids)... the suicide / murder must be pretty shocking.

Then again, kids these days are so desensitized to violence, maybe they wouldn't care.

Closed Thread