The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 10-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #276
DJ Kornphlake
Side-Kick

Default Re: X-Men: Days of Future Past Speculation

If it was supposed to take place in 2000, it would have said "Now".

DJ Kornphlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #277
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

It was always vague when exactly the main events of the trilogy took place.If you go by logic that Bryan Singer used in Children of the atom special features
of Xavier and Magneto In mid twenties In early 1960's then being around 60 or In early 60's would fit the mid 1990's.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #278
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
A scene that directly follows a 1944 flashback.
Yup, exactly. "Not too distant future" is just the movie way of saying "same time same planet but a few changes that are not currently going on in REAL LIFE". Not to mention, the date of the events isn't important and announcing that they take place in 2000 makes it seem like something we have to remember. Poland 1944 is immediately resonating because it's a year and place that is relevant to our "shared" history. It also gives context. Similarly, 1962 placecards in XMFC are important because the movie involves itself with an actual historic event and the timeline is relevant to X-Men: The Prequel.

But just as JP points out, the fact that 1944 is a date in X-Men kind of reaffirms that X-Men takes place in the early 2000's. If Erik is say, between 12-14 during that scene, that would make him about 68-70 in 2000. You could add a few years on there without too much trouble but I'd say anything past 2005 would be a stretch...

blueserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:57 AM   #279
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
Yup, exactly. "Not too distant future" is just the movie way of saying "same time same planet but a few changes that are not currently going on in REAL LIFE". Not to mention, the date of the events isn't important and announcing that they take place in 2000 makes it seem like something we have to remember. Poland 1944 is immediately resonating because it's a year and place that is relevant to our "shared" history. It also gives context. Similarly, 1962 placecards in XMFC are important because the movie involves itself with an actual historic event and the timeline is relevant to X-Men: The Prequel.

But just as JP points out, the fact that 1944 is a date in X-Men kind of reaffirms that X-Men takes place in the early 2000's. If Erik is say, between 12-14 during that scene, that would make him about 68-70 in 2000. You could add a few years on there without too much trouble but I'd say anything past 2005 would be a stretch...
Singer said he ended up in the 1960s for his origin story because he imagined Xavier and Magneto were in their 60s in the original trilogy and he wanted them to be in their 30s in First Class. (Never mind that in X1, Xavier says he was 17 when he met Erik).

Young Charles was credited as being aged 12 in 1944, and thus was aged 30 in 1962. Young Raven was aged 10 in 1944, and thus aged 28 in 1962.

In order for Xavier to be in his 60s in the original trilogy, it must be about 30 years after the events of First Class, which puts it in the 1990s.

There was a year's gap in time between the events of X1 and X2, but I'm not sure how much time is supposed to have passed between X2 and X3. In X3, we had a new president and a Dept of Mutant Affairs led by Beast (although the Dept may have existed previously, I suppose), but we also had Scott still moping in his room in a state of depression. Would that make it no more than two years later?

I'm happy with thinking the original trilogy was set during the 90s.

But I think they do need to work out a timeline for characters to avoid too much of a muddle. We had a very young Storm in a deleted scene in XMO: Wolverine (in the African village where they went to find the meteorite) and we had an older Storm in a Cerebro sequence in First Class.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:32 AM   #280
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

The apparent storm In cerebro sequenze was an easter egg just like human looking beast
and names In Stryker's files In X2.They aren't going to be bound by It.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:30 AM   #281
Project862006
Banned User

i still feel the preventable event should be in present time and not FC era in the series no really wanted to kill or imprison the x men other than stryker they wanted to detain and question and cure but not outright kill

i feel the assassination should occur after x men 3 which will trigger the human desperation of creating the sentinel's since the cure didn't work and deal with prison camps and what not

just my opinion tho

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:34 AM   #282
huzzah
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
The apparent storm In cerebro sequenze was an easter egg just like human looking beast
Are they bound by anything disclosed in previous films? History tells me they ignore things from previous films when it suits them. Maybe the events First Class didn't happen.

huzzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #283
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
i still feel the preventable event should be in present time and not FC era in the series no really wanted to kill or imprison the x men other than stryker they wanted to detain and question and cure but not outright kill

i feel the assassination should occur after x men 3 which will trigger the human desperation of creating the sentinel's since the cure didn't work and deal with prison camps and what not

just my opinion tho
If the preventable event occurs after X3, then how would the First Class cast/characters from the 1960s be involved?

Old 10-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #284
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Easter eggs are dangerous.

Just look how much of an uproar there has been over that human Beast in X2 being a contradiction to what happened in First Class. I like to imagine he was using an image inducer, but that's never officially clarified.

Adding in these Easter eggs and cameos creates problems in the long term.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #285
def28
Side-Kick

I forget, how many years does Kitty go back in the original story or is it just left up in the air?

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #286
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Easter eggs are dangerous.

Just look how much of an uproar there has been over that human Beast in X2 being a contradiction to what happened in First Class. I like to imagine he was using an image inducer, but that's never officially clarified.

Adding in these Easter eggs and cameos creates problems in the long term.
totally agree. I hate easter eggs just for the sake of "pleasing fans".

If the want to use young Scott and Ororo, wait for a future sequel, dont add them on the 60's when they arent born yet. More mess to the franchise.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #287
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
If the preventable event occurs after X3, then how would the First Class cast/characters from the 1960s be involved?
if it was up to me DOFP wouldn't involve first class and basically be singer's x men 4 lol

but i know thats not the case

Old 10-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #288
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
if it was up to me DOFP wouldn't involve first class and basically be singer's x men 4 lol

but i know thats not the case
I completely agree. I love First Class but I don't see how DoFP will work with the first class cast. I guess they could make it work and I would be okay with that. but how would this event that triggers this apocalyptic future have happened in the 60's. I mean if it had wouldn't the apocalyptic future happen during the original trilogy time period. or maybe even before that. I don't see how it would happen between 50-80 years after. bearing in mind we don't know when the apocalyptic future is supposed to take place. whether directly after TLS which is unlikely because of The Wolverine, which takes place after X3, or many years into the future

NanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #289
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
I don't see how it would happen between 50-80 years after. bearing in mind we don't know when the apocalyptic future is supposed to take place. whether directly after TLS which is unlikely because of The Wolverine, which takes place after X3, or many years into the future
Yeah that seems like a long break. Been thinking about how thats gonna work myself.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #290
Project862006
Banned User

well in the animated series the future was 2055

Old 10-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #291
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, guess it depends how they go about the time travel/traveler. The current team actually took place in the 90s right? Thats alot of time. So would it make more sense to have X1,2 and 3 originally part of the DOFP altered timline? Or to completely change it by the event, so that future with Sentinels has been going on for awhile?

Last edited by def28; 10-30-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #292
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
Yeah that's true but didn't the animated series involve apocalypse in that storyline or something. Or am I just confused? If I am then maybe Fox and the powers that be could do a good job with DoFP if they do it like TAS. I remember loving every minute of that episode........Maybe I should go watch it again

Old 10-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #293
Project862006
Banned User

yeah thats why i am not sure how the fc being the time period where this event takes place way too much time will have passed and we saw nothing in singer's x men that something horrible had happened

if an x men had assassinated the president in FC era no way in hell would the government be trying to cure them or peacefully having mutant debates in congress with jean grey and senator kelly in present time lol

Last edited by Project862006; 10-30-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #294
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
if an x men had assassinated the president in FC era no way in hell would the government be trying to cure them or peacefully having mutant debates in congress with jean grey and senator kelly in present time lol
Exactly. Let's just hope that Fox and Singer know what they are doing

Old 10-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #295
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
I forget, how many years does Kitty go back in the original story or is it just left up in the air?
I just went and dug out my original comics that I bought at time they were first published! What a nostalgia trip..

The future is stated to be 2013.

Kitty's mind is sent back to her past self and arrives on October 31, 1980. The assassination is set to take place that day, with the Brotherhood murdering presidential candidate Robert Kelly plus Xavier and Moira.

So the assassination led to apocalyptic Sentinel-ruled hell in 33 years.

The story also states that the Mutant Control Act was passed in 1988. Kitty also relates to the past X-Men that a 'rabid anti-mutant candidate was elected president in 1984' and the first Mutant Control Act was passed within a year.

The gravestones within the story panels itself show Charles Xavier, Scott Summers, Kurt Wagner, Warren Worthington, Hank McCoy, Bobby Drake, Lorna Dane and all of the Fantastic Four.

It states that 'of all the X-Men that there ever were, only four remain' - Wolverine, Storm, Kitty, Colossus. The other main resistance fighters with them are Franklin Richards and Rachel Summers.

Another panel in the comic shows various heroes' heads crossed out as Kitty relates her story of how not only mutants but other superbeings were wiped out. The heads shown include Scarlet Witch, Iron Man, Captain America, Spider-Man, Vision, Doctor Doom, Black Panther, Hulk, Ghost Rider and Daredevil.

Last edited by X-Maniac; 10-30-2012 at 03:58 PM.
X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #296
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Guys, its really very simple.

In the comic, the future was 2013. Kitty was in her 50s & her mind travelled back to 1980 where the assassination was said to take place.

In the film, the future is "the not too distant future" meaning 2016/2020 & the traveler will be sent back to 1980 to prevent the assassination.

Singer mentioned in an interview that the FC cast is no longer in the 60s. An FC faction in 1980 allows for a young Cyclops, Storm & a young Jean.

Alexei Belyakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #297
Project862006
Banned User

but like we said if this assassination occurs during the past in the 80's or what ever year no way would the government be having debates in congress as shown in x men 1 or trying to help and cure them if such a horrible event done by the x men happened they'd be passing laws and creating sentinel's

Old 10-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #298
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
but like we said if this assassination occurs during the past in the 80's or what ever year no way would the government be having debates in congress as shown in x men 1 or trying to help and cure them if such a horrible event done by the x men happened they'd be passing laws and creating sentinel's
Then maybe X1-X3 are the result of the changed timeline after the event is prevented.

Maybe there is a slight 'ghost image' of the 'other past' that leads to someone subconsciously adding a Sentinel to the Danger Room in X3, unaware that there really were Sentinels in the alternate timeline.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #299
Project862006
Banned User

thats interesting...

Old 10-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #300
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
thats interesting...
It's something that has been mentioned on here.

The issue with that notion is that X1-X3 are then in continuity. But The Wolverine is also acknowledging X3, so I guess that adds up.

It would, in some ways, be better if the attempt to change the past led to a new alternate timeline that was free of having to match up with the X1-X3 continuity.

If my idea takes place, it would be tricky to stay in the First Class past of the 60s because you would need to line up events with X1-X3. So they would probably finish with the past and come to the post-X3 future instead (which is where The Wolverine is already taking place).

That leaves the question of what happens to the cast and characters of First Class. It's hard to believe they would just dump Fassbender's Magneto, McAvoy's Xavier, Jennifer's Mystique, Hoult's Beast, Emma Frost, Azazel, Banshee and Havok.

Last edited by X-Maniac; 10-30-2012 at 04:33 PM.
X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote