The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 11-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #351
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Default Re: X-Men: Days of Future Past Speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
The FC faction just need to stop the assassination. That means a fight with Fassbender, Frost, Mystique & whoever else they decide to put in Magneto's Brotherhood.

If Wolverine is the traveler, it allows for a great opportunity to show Fassbender ripping out his adamantium during the battle.

We can also get the psychic battle between Xavier & Frost we never got in FC.
I agree 100 percent here.

Nimroid wasn't part of DOFP.Nimroid was added later as part of rachel Summers backstory and In comics they wasn't way to send him back.

You need a X-Men VS Brotherhood here.Hell It was even used on the Animated series.Bryan Singer doing X-Men vs Brotherhood with a larger budget would be great to see.

marvelrobbins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #352
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

That would be fantastic. ^^

I also want to see the Brotherhood and X-Men team up to take down a bigger threat... Sentinels.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #353
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
That would be fantastic. ^^

I also want to see the Brotherhood and X-Men team up to take down a bigger threat... Sentinels.
In the animated series, that sorta happens. After the two-part Days of Future Past comes a wrap-up episode called The Final Decision.

Bishop is the time-traveller in the animated series. The X-Men first take on NIMROD and then stop the assassination (which is attempted by Mystique's Brotherhood, not including Magneto) but then Kelly disappears. It turns out he had been taken by Magneto, who had wanted the assassination to happen and plans to finish the job himself. But then Sentinels - who have already been created by Gyrich - attack Magneto and take Kelly to Mastermold.

The X-Men find the injured Magneto and then go to stop the Sentinels and rescue Kelly. Magneto turns up to help. We see X-Men versus Sentinels, the Sentinels are destroyed in a huge explosion of their base, and then Xavier flies a plane full of explosives at Mastermold who has survived the destruction. The plane is surrounded by a magnetic field by Magneto as Mastermold blasts at Xavier, then the plane slams into Mastermold and blows him up, with Xavier ejecting.

I like the aspect of Magneto and the X-Men taking on the Sentinels and Mastermold.

In the films, we've already had Kelly in X1 and X2 and Gyrich in X1 (he was Kelly's aide, who had been replaced by Mystique). So those characters can't be back in the 60s.

In the comic, the assassination is halted and Kelly and his good friend Sebastian Shaw meet the president, who introduces them to Gyrich as the man who will head Operation Wideawake to build the Sentinels, thus bringing about the same future that it was thought had been averted.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #354
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
In the animated series, that sorta happens. After the two-part Days of Future Past comes a wrap-up episode called The Final Decision.

Bishop is the time-traveller in the animated series. The X-Men first take on NIMROD and then stop the assassination (which is attempted by Mystique's Brotherhood, not including Magneto) but then Kelly disappears. It turns out he had been taken by Magneto, who had wanted the assassination to happen and plans to finish the job himself. But then Sentinels - who have already been created by Gyrich - attack Magneto and take Kelly to Mastermold.

The X-Men find the injured Magneto and then go to stop the Sentinels and rescue Kelly. Magneto turns up to help. We see X-Men versus Sentinels, the Sentinels are destroyed in a huge explosion of their base, and then Xavier flies a plane full of explosives at Mastermold who has survived the destruction. The plane is surrounded by a magnetic field by Magneto as Mastermold blasts at Xavier, then the plane slams into Mastermold and blows him up, with Xavier ejecting.

I like the aspect of Magneto and the X-Men taking on the Sentinels and Mastermold.

In the films, we've already had Kelly in X1 and X2 and Gyrich in X1 (he was Kelly's aide, who had been replaced by Mystique). So those characters can't be back in the 60s.

In the comic, the assassination is halted and Kelly and his good friend Sebastian Shaw meet the president, who introduces them to Gyrich as the man who will head Operation Wideawake to build the Sentinels, thus bringing about the same future that it was thought had been averted.
So all of that was for nothing?

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #355
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
So all of that was for nothing?
Sort of.

In the comics, the dystopian future Kitty came from still exists as an alternate timeline.

Obviously, events were changed by the assassination being halted but the comic implies something similar will happen anyway in the past timeline where Kitty arrived. The comics haven't yet reached that future (as you know characters hardly age in the comics) so we don't know if it happens in exactly the same way.

In the animated series, Bishop also returns to a future that hasn't been changed.

So, yes, both the comic and the cartoon make all those efforts seem rather wasted. The film needs to do better than that!

Old 11-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #356
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Sort of.

In the comics, the dystopian future Kitty came from still exists as an alternate timeline.

Obviously, events were changed by the assassination being halted but the comic implies something similar will happen anyway in the past timeline where Kitty arrived. The comics haven't yet reached that future (as you know characters hardly age in the comics) so we don't know if it happens in exactly the same way.

In the animated series, Bishop also returns to a future that hasn't been changed.

So, yes, both the comic and the cartoon make all those efforts seem rather wasted. The film needs to do better than that!

Definitely. We can rely on Singer to give us a story with characters actually making a difference in time because that's the point of DoFP... hopefully.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #357
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

I seriously don't see Magneto ripping out Wolverine's skeleton. This may be a darker film but that's just way too graphic and gruesome, it's like something out of a Saw movie. Plus it might totally destroy whatever sympathy the audience has for Erik and I don't think that the filmmakers would want that.

Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #358
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
I seriously don't see Magneto ripping out Wolverine's skeleton. This may be a darker film but that's just way too graphic and gruesome, it's like something out of a Saw movie. Plus it might totally destroy whatever sympathy the audience has for Erik and I don't think that the filmmakers would want that.
The audience shouldn't have sympathy for Magneto. He's the villain.

Alexei Belyakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #359
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
The FC faction just need to stop the assassination. That means a fight with Fassbender, Frost, Mystique & whoever else they decide to put in Magneto's Brotherhood.

If Wolverine is the traveler, it allows for a great opportunity to show Fassbender ripping out his adamantium during the battle.

We can also get the psychic battle between Xavier & Frost we never got in FC.
The idea of Wolverine as traveller needs to be thought out a bit.

If future Wolverine physically travels (from a post-X3 future or from an alternate future in the 80s) to the 1960s, where is the Wolverine we already saw in First Class? Shouldn't that standout cameo be addressed? Also, the Wolverine in the 1960s would have bone claws at that time.

If future Wolverine's consciousness is mentally projected through time to his 60s version, that version has bone claws.

So Magneto ripping out the adamantium can only happen if future Wolverine travels back physically.

And what happens after the adamantium is removed? How does his story arc end? So future Wolverine now has just bone claws and there's another Wolverine in the 60s also with bone claws.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:27 PM   #360
Legion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well I don't think that should happen in this film...as far as it being gruesome, it wasn't very gruesome in the comics. It came out of his body like a liquid. His skeleton wasn't actually ripped out.

Last edited by Legion; 11-01-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #361
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Mags doesnt have your typical villain stereotypes, but he is very capable of causing damage if someone gets in his way. The scene in Fatal Attractions is a very iconic one. Done right it could be an amazing and horrific moment on film.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #362
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
The idea of Wolverine as traveller needs to be thought out a bit.

If future Wolverine physically travels (from a post-X3 future or from an alternate future in the 80s) to the 1960s, where is the Wolverine we already saw in First Class? Shouldn't that standout cameo be addressed? Also, the Wolverine in the 1960s would have bone claws at that time.

If future Wolverine's consciousness is mentally projected through time to his 60s version, that version has bone claws.

So Magneto ripping out the adamantium can only happen if future Wolverine travels back physically.

And what happens after the adamantium is removed? How does his story arc end? So future Wolverine now has just bone claws and there's another Wolverine in the 60s also with bone claws.
Singer is most likely going to bump up the FC faction to 1980 to allow a young Cyclops & Storm to feature in the roster.

At that point Wolverine already had the procedure done.

As for the aftermath of the adamantium's removal, the possibilities are endless.

In the books, he begins to mutate further and becomes more feral than ever. That could work well for the films because he could run into the wilderness after losing the adamantium to eventually be rescued by The Hudsons who groom him for Alpha Flight.

Alexei Belyakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #363
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Wolverine can only have adamantum taken out If he physical travels back In time.

They can have time travel be accomplised physical combination of Xavier and Franklin Richards powers.

All you have to believe Is wolverine Is overseas In past while future Wolverine Is involved In stopping the assassination.Riping out the adamanturm can be done In PG-13 abd It would be shocking moment.

My belief Is they will end It In first Class era with them not knowing rather they have changed the future.Both them and audence won't know rather the future with Sentinles has actully be prevented.If you watch the youtube videos of Days of futre past the ending has Kelly meeting with the president and both Shaw and Gyrich show up.Well most reprints of story don't have that.

Plus the audence will hate Magneto for that.In first Class he was more antihero than outright villain.Even trying to nuke the fleets was justified.In Days of future Past Magneto becomes outright villain.

Remember we still don't know when the first Class era of film takes place.I wouldn't assume It Is 19960's.Bryan Singer earlier metioned he wanted sequels to go Into 1970's and 1980's.Also people need to get It out of their heads DOFP will overwrite all other films except first Class.There Is little to believe Singer would throwout his own films.He turned down a chance to do Superman reboot after Returns.Now throwing out the Last Stand that's a different story.It's In Singer's nature to throwout films he didn't like.I expect ways
to connect DOFP to his films(X-men and X2) just like In Superman returns he connection to Superman and Superman II.

Last edited by marvelrobbins; 11-01-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #364
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
The audience shouldn't have sympathy for Magneto. He's the villain.
Wow you really didn't watch the same movie I did.

Magneto is interesting because people CAN have sympathy for him. It makes him more 3-dimensional. If you just have a cartoon villain who is evil evil evil, it's pretty dull. And before I get attacked for this, having sympathy for a villain doesn't mean you agree with him or his ideals. It doesn't mean that what he does is excusable.

I really can't see Magneto ripping out the adamantium from Wolverine's skeleton. He used his metal against him in X-Men (and caused him to pass out from it I think? It's been a while) and the sight of Magneto warping Logan's claws was cringe-worthy enough. The shot of him pulling the iron out of the guard's blood was pretty dark as well. Might I remind, this movie will be PG-13 at most. They're not going to get graphic.

Quote:
Singer is most likely going to bump up the FC faction to 1980 to allow a young Cyclops & Storm to feature in the roster.

At that point Wolverine already had the procedure done.

As for the aftermath of the adamantium's removal, the possibilities are endless.

In the books, he begins to mutate further and becomes more feral than ever. That could work well for the films because he could run into the wilderness after losing the adamantium to eventually be rescued by The Hudsons who groom him for Alpha Flight.
There is no way this movie's FC side is going to take place in the 80s. Especially not just to add some characters in or to make it work around Wolverine.

Last edited by blueserenity; 11-01-2012 at 06:54 PM.
blueserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #365
psyonic
X-Man

Maybe the DoFP future is a timeline not connected to the original X1–X3. DoFP is the result of the Brotherhood assassinating someone in the 80's (First Class era) and unleashing Sentinels, and the future X-Men are going try to stop them. FC was never defined solidly as a prequel to the OT, which gives them a lot of room to go this route.

The X1-X3 universe's story has been told and now over, but the OT cast will return for their respective roles in the new timeline. Nothing is being retconned, nothing is being changed in the original trilogy, just an alternate timeline. This way they can change things up a bit for the characterizations in this alternate timeline and be more true to the comics.

psyonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #366
AndrewGilkison
Side-Kick

I am not sure how Wolverine having his adamantium skeleton removed by Magneto would get properly dealt with in a movie where the Sentinels and their future rule are the main bad guys. Sounds like trying to cram too many plots into one film (and we've seen how well that has worked out with past superhero movies).

AndrewGilkison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #367
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
Might I remind, this movie will be PG-13 at most. They're not going to get graphic.
It can be done without being R rated, like the guard in X2 was. I think that scene actually had more blood then the Fatal Attractions comic.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #368
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

They've just spent a whole movie making Erik sympathetic, I don't see them throwing it out completely in the sequel by having him kill a beloved character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyonic View Post
Maybe the DoFP future is a timeline not connected to the original X1X3. DoFP is the result of the Brotherhood assassinating someone in the 80's (First Class era) and unleashing Sentinels, and the future X-Men are going try to stop them. FC was never defined solidly as a prequel to the OT, which gives them a lot of room to go this route.

The X1-X3 universe's story has been told and now over, but the OT cast will return for their respective roles in the new timeline. Nothing is being retconned, nothing is being changed in the original trilogy, just an alternate timeline.
That's pretty much what I think.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #369
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I don't think so.People are wanting to make contunity even more muddled.

First Class was sold as backstory of Xavier and Magneto.It Is prequel to trilogy(Inless Fox allows Bryan Singer to throw the Last Stand out) and fuutre scenes with sentinles are post Trilogy.The Idea that Bryan Singer Is directing and he's going to throw out his own films Is crazy.He talked about connecting films.

We don't need general audence scratching their heads to timelines.It needs to be simple.If they were going to be throwing out all other non-First Class films there wouldn't be several vets of earlier films In film as has been mentioned.Singer called first Class prequel with liberties and has talked about prior to taking over as director about connecting films.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #370
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

But Singer would not be throwing out his earlier films at all. They would be the result of the X-Men averting the crucial event in the 60s and the postapocalyptic future. The old characters could still be in this apocalyptic future, but as alternate versions rather than characters from X1-X3.

Plus Singer himself was talking about exploring alternate timelines. If the future with Sentinels is simply the post-X3 future, why would that be an alternate timeline?

Last edited by Mrs Vimes; 11-01-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #371
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Time travel stories to work things have to go a certain way before time travel.The sentinles could be pst trilogy meaning the event which sets in motion sentinles happens pre trilogy.Now they can say In future films results of preventing the assassination causes some differences.But,things have to be connected before the time traveler goes back In time.Just saying various alternate timelines are a mess.We don't need a further mess as some
are advocating.Various alternate timelines can give you head scratching In comcis.It can be even worse with film.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #372
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

I agree that they can be a mess, but the alternate timelines and the possibility of exploring them have been specifically mentioned. So I wouldn't rule it out.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #373
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Ok, let me get my superlogical head on here...

As I see it, there are several options for the timelines

1) Past = 1960s (First Class era). Future = 1980s (alternate timeline to X1-X3)

Result of changing the past = X1-X3 happen rather than 1980s Sentinels

Disadvantage = any more First Class films must stick to the continuity established in X1 to X3. Returning actors from trilogy must appear younger than they were in X1 to X3 because they will be in the 1980s, 10-20 years before the other films.

EDIT: The alternate timeline could also be a bit later, say in the 1990s/2000s, as the actors could then look the same. If the pivotal event was, for instance, the President Kennedy assassination of 1963 (or perhaps Senator Robert Kennedy's assassination of 1968) and the future was late 90s, that would be gap of not too much more than 30 years, the same as in the comics where it's 33 years later.

2) Past = 1960s (First Class era). Future = post-X3 (2015-ish?)

Result of changing the past = Events of X1-X3 would be different, Sentinels would never happen after X3

Disadvantage = gap in time between 1960s and post-X3 is very long, more than 50 years. Would pivotal event take that long to produce Sentinel-ruled dystopia? Also, characters around in 60s would be very old by the time of Sentinels. Magneto/Xavier/Mystique/Emma would all be about 90, Beast a bit younger.

3) Past = 1980s (First Class timeline but 20 years later). Future = post-X3 (2015-ish)

Result of changing the past = Events of X1-X3 would be different, Sentinels would never happen post-X3

Disadvantage = leaping 20 years forward from First Class era would be a big jump even though it would allow the existence of Storm, Jean, Scott. Actors from First Class would need to look two decades older.

Phew!

There might be other options I/we haven't considered, they may be going down another path altogether, but those are the ones that come to mind and the ones mentioned on here.

Last edited by X-Maniac; 11-01-2012 at 08:45 PM.
X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #374
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Quote:
They've just spent a whole movie making Erik sympathetic, I don't see them throwing it out completely in the sequel by having him kill a beloved character.
Well, he tried to kill hundreds of men and abandoned his gravely injured friend at an isolated beach, I don't see how this is supposed to be sympathetic. Is it? Weird.

At least by the end of First Class, Magneto is established as a villain - or in his way to become more like the ruthless Magneto of the original trilogy.

James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart
Loganbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #375
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Exactly.By end of First Class he Is on his way to becoming villain.Days of future Past will
have Michael fassbender become the ruthless Magneto.