The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 11-01-2012, 11:35 PM   #376
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Default Re: X-Men: Days of Future Past Speculation

I don't like the idea of FC cast jumping into the 80s for several reasons, aging make-up is one of them. It wouldn't affect Mystique and Beast I suppose, but characters like Banshee and Havoc would just have to be recast because make-up or not there's no way they can be made to look like 40-year-olds. And really, why age a young attractive cast they have for the sake of adding a couple of characters? Particularly since most of the future characters are not going to be spring chickens either.

And I get that Magneto is established as a villain at the end of FC, but even villains have degrees to them. I doubt that Magneto is going to be shown as a Shaw-grade villain in the sequel.

Last edited by Mrs Vimes; 11-01-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:03 AM   #377
Great Mind(s)
Broken

I think Singer and Vaughn both liked the 60s angle and I bet they're going to stick with that. Maybe a few years later in the late 60s.

Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:19 AM   #378
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Jumping to the 1980s seems silly to me. If McAvoy is supposed to be Xavier in his 30s and Stewart is Xavier in his 60s, why would McAvoy, who we know is returning, be Xavier in his 50s in the 1980s?

Old 11-02-2012, 04:23 AM   #379
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
I don't like the idea of FC cast jumping into the 80s for several reasons, aging make-up is one of them. It wouldn't affect Mystique and Beast I suppose, but characters like Banshee and Havoc would just have to be recast because make-up or not there's no way they can be made to look like 40-year-olds. And really, why age a young attractive cast they have for the sake of adding a couple of characters? Particularly since most of the future characters are not going to be spring chickens either.
I would say jump to the late 60s or early 70s. I elaborated more in another post, but just drop the kids but keep Beast, add some gray to Fassy and make McAvoy bald and they'll look a bit older. It's already too hard to fit anything into the X1-X3 timeline if that happened after 2000, so they're just going to have to be unspecific for when the first trilogy actually happened.

josh8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:12 AM   #380
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post

And I get that Magneto is established as a villain at the end of FC, but even villains have degrees to them. I doubt that Magneto is going to be shown as a Shaw-grade villain in the sequel.
My thoughts exactly. I don't even see them heading to the 80s in the third one, it just doesn't make sense.

I completely agree with your point about Magneto as well. He will always have degrees to him, and in this film just as much as (maybe more than?) First Class. There is too much going on in this movie to make him a full-fledged villain in this one. Especially if there is a common enemy for both the X-Men and Brotherhood.

Kinberg also talked about telling more of Magneto's story.... which to be honest isn't all that necessary and as much as I love the character I'd rather see more about Charles. But it lends itself to the idea that he will again have shades of grey.

I am tired of hearing people say that Magneto doesn't deserve sympathy because of his actions at the tail end of FC. The stuff he did in Cuba was inexcusable, no one is saying it isn't. But the movie does lead us to feel sympathy for him and his past in earlier scenes when he is still "good" and struggling with the idea of being good as a long-term thing. If you didn't feel for him during the satellite scene then your heart is made of stone.

blueserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:20 AM   #381
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
I would say jump to the late 60s or early 70s. I elaborated more in another post, but just drop the kids but keep Beast, add some gray to Fassy and make McAvoy bald and they'll look a bit older. It's already too hard to fit anything into the X1-X3 timeline if that happened after 2000, so they're just going to have to be unspecific for when the first trilogy actually happened.
I disagree that only Beast should be kept.

Banshee and Havok are significant characters. Yes, we only just saw the beginnings of them but just dumping them would be wrong.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #382
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
My thoughts exactly. I don't even see them heading to the 80s in the third one, it just doesn't make sense.

I completely agree with your point about Magneto as well. He will always have degrees to him, and in this film just as much as (maybe more than?) First Class. There is too much going on in this movie to make him a full-fledged villain in this one. Especially if there is a common enemy for both the X-Men and Brotherhood.

Kinberg also talked about telling more of Magneto's story.... which to be honest isn't all that necessary and as much as I love the character I'd rather see more about Charles. But it lends itself to the idea that he will again have shades of grey.

I am tired of hearing people say that Magneto doesn't deserve sympathy because of his actions at the tail end of FC. The stuff he did in Cuba was inexcusable, no one is saying it isn't. But the movie does lead us to feel sympathy for him and his past in earlier scenes when he is still "good" and struggling with the idea of being good as a long-term thing. If you didn't feel for him during the satellite scene then your heart is made of stone.
There Isn't going to be a common enemy enemy In first Class era.The core of
Days of future past Is brotherhood planning an assassination attempt.Now In film version the big change Is It will be Magneto's version of brotherhood planning the assassination.

If Bryan Singer Is going to bring back both most of first Class cast+several members of original trilogy cast there Isn't going to be room for new characters besides target of assassination+Sentinles.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #383
Great Mind(s)
Broken

I would like a small alliance between Xavier and Magneto at some point where they rebuild Cerebro...but then after wards Magneto will turn on him again. I'm actually thinking,they rebuild Cerebro, Xavier uses it and his future-mind enters his younger body through it. He tells Erik of the apocalyptic future which only prompts Erik to further continue his goals, not knowing it could be leading into that very future. So he plans an assassination and Xavier has to stop him!

Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #384
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

I wonder if the Danger Room will be in this movie.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #385
Angamb
Banned User

Ive wondered that too.

I think there is a great chance that this sequel shows Hank working on an early version. Would be really cool to see the young team training there, like the old comics. while Xavier watches them from outside

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #386
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I disagree that only Beast should be kept.

Banshee and Havok are significant characters. Yes, we only just saw the beginnings of them but just dumping them would be wrong.
It really does come down to opinion. I understand Banshee and Havok are pretty big characters in the comics, but in FC, they were not yet significant.

I'm pretty sure you'd agree with me on dropping Angel, yes? So in my opinion (concerning character portrayals and development in FC), they were all equally insignificant.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #387
Angamb
Banned User

yeah, but Banshee and Havok ARE X-men members. so as such they deserve more development. At least on one new sequel.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #388
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
yeah, but Banshee and Havok ARE X-men members. so as such they deserve more development. At least on one new sequel.
Yeah it's unfortunate, but I really do feel that FC has to be looked at as just a transition in setting up a status quo between Mags, Xavier, and Mystique. All the other characters are just filler.

And the reason I feel so strongly about dropping them for the introduction of Scott and Jean is that I think this movie needs them. This is the movie that's going to determine the future of the franchise and I really just don't have faith that Banshee and Havok (and Beast) being the premiere members of a 1960s team is going to be very good at all.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #389
Angamb
Banned User

I get you, believe me.

But its not the right moment for Scott and Jean yet. They should be introduced in the third movie, in any case.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #390
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
I get you, believe me.

But its not the right moment for Scott and Jean yet. They should be introduced in the third movie, in any case.
Thanks! When everyone was discussing FC sequels and when to bring them in, my thoughts were always "I HOPE WE MAKE IT TO THAT MANY SEQUELS". Many of my friends are saying things like "they're making another X-Men/Wolverine movie??

The franchise really is in a fragile state right now. Which makes the idea of DOFP even more brilliant.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #391
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Quote:
Yeah it's unfortunate, but I really do feel that FC has to be looked at as just a transition in setting up a status quo between Mags, Xavier, and Mystique. All the other characters are just filler.

And the reason I feel so strongly about dropping them for the introduction of Scott and Jean is that I think this movie needs them. This is the movie that's going to determine the future of the franchise and I really just don't have faith that Banshee and Havok (and Beast) being the premiere members of a 1960s team is going to be very good at all.
That's really my main criticism with FC, that it was an X-Men movie that really wasn't about the X-Men. I also agree that Havok and Banshee didn't appear to be very significant, but since I suspect that they'll be staying in the 60s, I don't see them being dropped; there aren't many other A-list or B-list mutants left that haven't been used that could replace them, so they may as well be utilized better in DOFP.

And if, and that's a huge if, they were to jump to the 80s, then I could understand wanting to drop Havok and Banshee and replacing them with Cyclops, Jean, and Storm; Beast, Cyclops, Jean, and Storm would certainly be a cooler line-up.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #392
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

One of my favorite episodes from the X-Men animated series was "One Man's Worth". The relationship with Logan and Ororo was so damn cute and the ending was really bittersweet.

Their opening exchange in that episode was really well done too. I hope portions of that are sort of integrated in to "Days of Future Past". It can definitely work I think.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #393
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

I was thinking that they might do that.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #394
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

It would be so great if they did. One of my all time favorite episodes.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:45 AM   #395
merbass
Side-Kick

If they drop Banshee then I'd be very upset !!!!

He was the stand out one in XFC. And Jennifer's Mystique needs to change her style !

merbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #396
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
One of my favorite episodes from the X-Men animated series was "One Man's Worth". The relationship with Logan and Ororo was so damn cute and the ending was really bittersweet.

Their opening exchange in that episode was really well done too. I hope portions of that are sort of integrated in to "Days of Future Past". It can definitely work I think.
Agreed absolutely. I would imagine they will use parts of that in the film version of DoFP. It would also work in the film if Xavier was the assassination target in the 1960s.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:01 AM   #397
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well, going by Kinberg's comments from some time ago the sequel could keep exploring the relationship between Hank and Raven, in which case Beast would definitely not be dropped.

I can't say I cared much for Havok, but I'd still like to keep him and Banshee (who I do like) because I felt that by the end of FC there was some nice camaraderie and teamwork going on which would be nice to see in the sequel.

Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:11 AM   #398
Angamb
Banned User

An x-men sequel without a strong presence of the X-men team is not an x-men movie.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #399
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Ditto.
If the film is too focused on the Brotherhood it'll be a huge disappointment imo; I want to see the X-Men and X-Men team work.

James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart
Loganbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #400
Angamb
Banned User

I hope Singer gives us something special and new from the 60's X-team.

both intimate momments and great action from them too. Im sure he will deliver

Last edited by Angamb; 11-07-2012 at 08:02 AM.