Toronto Maple Leafs 0 0%
Vancouver Canucks 1 4.35%
Washington Capitals 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #351
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

Default Re: 2012/2013 NHL Thread: DiPietro is better than you!

Board of Govenors approves it this time.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #352
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

They approved it last time... it was the PA that rejected it...

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Old 03-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #353
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

They approved it as well I thought, they approved it first this time.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:07 AM   #354
jmc
callin' it like I see it

A question from a confused ice hockey fan. I got into the sport way back in '98 playing EA sports NHL, adopted a team (Colorado) and was fairly into the sport for a few years given what little coverage it gets down under until for whatever reason my interested waned. It's been a number of years since I was genuinely into the sport but the fire was rekindled recently when I purchased EA Sports NHL 13 for PS3. Anyway, having started a new season I noticed you can no longer have a drawn game, the game ends in a shoot out if scores are still level after extra time. I really don't like this concept as it artificially creates a winner when frankly there's nothing wrong with teams splitting the points like in soccer IMO but I can live with that. My issue is that the scoring system seems really flawed for the concept. How can a game be worth 2 points in regulation time but be worth 3 points in extra time? Shouldn't a regulation win be 3 points for this concept to work? Shouldn't the logic be both teams get one point for the draw and extra time/shootout is a battle for that extra point? Can someone fill me in as to what the hell the NHL logic was when they thought of this? It seems really weird.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:59 AM   #355
Themanofbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
A question from a confused ice hockey fan. I got into the sport way back in '98 playing EA sports NHL, adopted a team (Colorado) and was fairly into the sport for a few years given what little coverage it gets down under until for whatever reason my interested waned. It's been a number of years since I was genuinely into the sport but the fire was rekindled recently when I purchased EA Sports NHL 13 for PS3. Anyway, having started a new season I noticed you can no longer have a drawn game, the game ends in a shoot out if scores are still level after extra time. I really don't like this concept as it artificially creates a winner when frankly there's nothing wrong with teams splitting the points like in soccer IMO but I can live with that. My issue is that the scoring system seems really flawed for the concept. How can a game be worth 2 points in regulation time but be worth 3 points in extra time? Shouldn't a regulation win be 3 points for this concept to work? Shouldn't the logic be both teams get one point for the draw and extra time/shootout is a battle for that extra point? Can someone fill me in as to what the hell the NHL logic was when they thought of this? It seems really weird.
To a lot of fans, watching teams play to a 3-3 tie was akin to kissing your sister... so after the '04 lockout, they adopted the shootout rule... along with a few other changes...

Having said that, a team still gets 2 points for a wind, be it in regulation, in OT, or in a shootout... the team that loses in regulation gets nothing, but if you lose in OT or in a shootout, you get one point.

Welcome back...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Old 03-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #356
The Incredible Hulk
O AN I SEXY!

Don't mind the shootout, although I don't like the 3 point games.

I'd rather see them scrap the loser point all together. Ideally I'd rather see a 10 minute 4 on 4 OT, and no shootout. If the game is still tied after that, just award each team a point.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #357
Themanofbat

I agree... just play the game, and the winner gets their 2 points, and a loser gets nothing.

Playoff positioning by teams tied with the same amount of points will go to the team with a better regulation record.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #358
Themanofbat

Maple Leafs making inquiries to Calgary about Kipper's availability...

Old 03-27-2013, 02:31 AM   #359
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Ok, so I'm definitely a bit behind in NHL news. So I read that the NHL is once again going to realign its league for the umpteenth time next year, most of that probably comes from Atlanta moving to Winnipeg and being stuck in the Southeast Division I'd assume. But what's the logic in having uneven conferences? 16 in the East, 14 in the West, yet the West get the same number of playoff spots. That doesn't make any sense to me. I get it that it's a very North American thing for their sports to have divisions and conferences but given the NHL seems to change on a regular basis I don't know why the NHL just doesn't make it one big league and have the best 16 teams overall qualify for the finals - 58 home and away games against every team, the remaining 24 can be traditional rivalries. From what I understand Pheonix may be going belly up very soon and moving to Quebec anyway so that means they'll have to rearrange things again in the not to distant future.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #360
Themanofbat

It's the first realignment since the early 90's???

Also, the realignment can be revisited in 2015, just in time for Quebec City & Mahrkum to have new arenas ready, and Phoenix will more than likely end up in Seattle, where there will be a new this fall... so more hilarity will ensue in 2 years...

And I happen to like the new playoff format... will create new bloodlust in the first rounds of the playoffs... just like in the old days...

Old 03-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #361
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Man, I really hope Fleury is alright. He's been a rock this whole month and one of the main reasons the Pens are on this current win streak.

If he is out for a while though, I hope they bring back Badass Brent Johnson. He still apparently lives in the Burgh and he's looking for work.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #362
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Well, the Pens picked up Jarome Arthur-Leigh Adekunle Tig Junior Elvis Iginla. Awesome news. My boys are making a big push for the Cup this season, and Jarome might just be the guy that can help them guarantee it. Anything can happen of course, but this is damn exciting. I really wasn't expecting this, since they just added Brendan Morrow.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #363
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

I love this trade. A first round pick is a steep price to pay, but I love that it shows Shero is all about the present and is willing to make big moves to win. It shows that the Pens are hungry to bring the Cup back to Pittsburgh.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #364
Poeman
Banned User

Last night I saw he got traded to Boston, this morning I see Pittsburgh? WTF Feaster.

Directed by M. Night Shyamalan

Old 03-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #365
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Yeah, definitely. Shero is the type of general manager I wish all my favorite teams had. I hope this winning streak never stops. My only real concern right now is Fleury. I hope he's alright. I like Vokoun a lot, but Fleury is the man.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #366
Themanofbat

While Calgary has been my favorite NHL team since 1980, I'm hoping for a Penguins Championship this season.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #367
Poeman
Banned User

Im hoping for a Penguins 1st round choke...Its Cup or bust for them honestly.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #368
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanofbat View Post
While Calgary has been my favorite NHL team since 1980, I'm hoping for a Penguins Championship this season.

I really hope it happens. They've got all the tools to win it... I just hope they don't choke right out of the gate like last year. But I think they're even more set now, especially with the additions of Iginla and Morrow, and Sid playing the way he is.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #369
Themanofbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
I really hope it happens. They've got all the tools to win it... I just hope they don't choke right out of the gate like last year. But I think they're even more set now, especially with the additions of Iginla and Morrow, and Sid playing the way he is.
truthfully, their only weak spot is in nets... Fleury cost them that series against the Flyers last year... He needs to play like 2008 & 2009... if he lets in beach balls again, they might not get past the first round.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #370
ih8nyy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Well, the Pens picked up Jarome Arthur-Leigh Adekunle Tig Junior Elvis Iginla. Awesome news. My boys are making a big push for the Cup this season, and Jarome might just be the guy that can help them guarantee it. Anything can happen of course, but this is damn exciting. I really wasn't expecting this, since they just added Brendan Morrow.
It's really all on Marc Andrea's shoulders now. But if he falters Vokun is a more than capable back up. Shero has done a great job. (see Stahl for Sutter, Dynamite deal!) They have stock piled asset's and they haven't even given up their best D prospects yet. What the hell? Plus when you have the 2 best players in the league what's a 1st round pick?

As a B's fan it sucks Iginla didn't come to Boston, but frankly with that squad in Pitt and the fact he and 87 played on the same line in the Olympics who can blame him for wanting to go there? That's a formidable team.

I just hope Chiarelli doesn't freak out and over pay for Martin St. Louis or Clowe (please not Clowe GOD!). But they need to make a few small deals a fortify the blue line and if possible.

01', 03', 04', 04', 07', 08', 11', 13'
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 03-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #371
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Yeah, Fleury has gone back and forth over the years between looking like the best goalie in the league and the worst, but he was nails for most of this month. I just hope that hit he took the other day didn't mess him up. Vokoun has been great in his place though. And fortunately the Pens play tight enough D all around that they can help out whoever is in the net.

I can't wait to see Iginla in a Pens uniform kicking ass. Hopefully they'll flatten the Islanders tomorrow and complete the first perfect month in NHL history.

MARCH OF THE PENGUINS!

Old 04-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #372
The Incredible Hulk
O AN I SEXY!

^ until of course Crosby eats a puck and breaks his jaw..... Ouch.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #373
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

Keith Tkachuck did the same thing and scored a goal while doing it. I think he was only out 3 games, he didn't break his Jaw either.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #374
kane9321
oakland's finest

5 in a row..go sharks

Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
The X-Men films are like an abusive boyfriend.
They treat you well, (X-Men 1 and 2) and then they show their true colors (X3 and Wolverine: Origins), then they promise that they can change (X-Men: First Class and The Wolverine), now you see them with a prostitute. (X-Men: DOTFP)
Old 04-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #375
Pink Ranger
TV Poster, Radio Face

Does it make me a bad person that I want to see the Islanders get the last Eastern Conference playoff spot, just two points (or a tiebreaker) ahead of the Rangers?

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Closed Thread