Toronto Maple Leafs 0 0%
Vancouver Canucks 1 4.35%
Washington Capitals 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #51
Shifty
Alcoholic Genius

Default Re: 2012/2013 NHL Thread: Rock Out with your Lock-Out?

We'll see next season but given that Brad Richards had a point total decline for the second year in a row, the Rangers play a defensive style of hockey, the Rangers only scored 24 more goals than the Blue Jackets and Nash has had 3 seasons of point total declines I don't think he'll reach his career best 79 points (40 goals) from 2008-09. On top of his $7.8 mill a year salary for 6 more years.

Rick and Morty
Old 07-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #52
The Incredible Hulk
O AN I SEXY!

Preds match Philly's offer sheet to Weber

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...n-in-nashville

Old 07-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #53
Immortalfire
The Dreamy Mod
SHH! Global Moderator

Wow. Nashville is music city and money city.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #54
ih8nyy
Side-Kick

From the Washington Post.

Quote:
NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman says the league fully intends to lock out if it can’t come to terms with the players’ association on a new collective bargaining agreement by the Sept. 15 expiration date.
"We reiterated to the union that the owners will not play another year under the current agreement,” Bettman told reporters in New York after labor talks ended Thursday.
According to ESPN’s Katie Strang, Bettman confirmed that one of the biggest gaps between the two sides is revenue sharing.
League revenues reached an all-time high of $3.3 billion last season — believed to be an increase of more than $1 billion annually since the lockout. The owners’ initial July 13 proposal asks for a decrease from the 57 percent of hockey-related revenue the players currently receive to 46 percent.
The 2012-13 NHL season is slated to open Oct. 11.
If this happens NHL Owners are the biggest idiots out there. Players already gave up enough with the salary rollback after the last lock out.

01', 03', 04', 04', 07', 08', 11', 13'
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 08-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #55
Immortalfire
The Dreamy Mod
SHH! Global Moderator

Good God..the last thing they need is another lock out.

A buddy listed five teams that he thinks I should pick from to be my new team.
  • Lightning
  • Predators
  • Sharks
  • Penguins
  • Wild

Old 08-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #56
The Incredible Hulk
O AN I SEXY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8nyy View Post
From the Washington Post.

If this happens NHL Owners are the biggest idiots out there. Players already gave up enough with the salary rollback after the last lock out.
57% of revenues is ridiculously high for the players, that pretty much dwarfs what players in the other 3 major sports get.

But I agree, the NHL can't afford to have another lockout. 33% of the league is on life support as is. This could be the death knell.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #57
Shifty
Alcoholic Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Incredible Hulk View Post
57% of revenues is ridiculously high for the players, that pretty much dwarfs what players in the other 3 major sports get.

But I agree, the NHL can't afford to have another lockout. 33% of the league is on life support as is. This could be the death knell.
Some owners believe that since they've had record revenues since the last lockout they'll do just fine with another one - even if they lose the whole season.

That's fine for the few American teams and the Canadian ones but Nashville needs to pay Weber $27 million by next summer regardless if there is a season. Glendale will get to see how the bars, restaurants and stores do without NHL hockey.
Dallas was finally getting people to come back. Columbus doesn't need this even with an ugly season last year. Florida has one of their best seasons ever and now fans may have to wait until October 2013 to see their team play, that's not happening.
The Islanders lose another season and get one year closer to moving. Carolina made some big moves and whatever gains they got with fans will be lost. Anaheim and Colorado had disappointing seasons. New Jersey has ownership troubles, having no revenue coming in won't help.
Tampa would lose a year of Stamkos and the Penguins miss out on more of Crosby and Malkin in their prime. Plus if Washington's window wasn't closed already, losing another season will shut it.

Rick and Morty
Old 08-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #58
Immortalfire
The Dreamy Mod
SHH! Global Moderator

Yup, another lockout will hurt everyone.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #59
captain canuck
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortalfire View Post
Yup, another lockout will hurt everyone.
confirmed too

Old 08-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #60
Pink Ranger
I got magic to do

I think Brett Hull made this joke on SNL, that the last time the NHL had a lock-out, the direct result in Canada was the legalization of same-sex marriage.

Maybe if we lose the 2012-13 season, we can get weed legalized too.

~H.E.~
Old 08-26-2012, 01:44 AM   #61
Dr. Evil
The Force Awakens

Another lockout? Man the CBA went by so fast, that it seemed like it wasn't that long ago that the NHL had their last lockout.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Old 08-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #62
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

Yeah this season looks to be in jeopardy. Sucks too, sets back young teams on the rise and hurts veteran teams that don't have a lot of time left.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #63
Pink Ranger
I got magic to do

If there is another lockout, at what point can we declare Gary Bettman's entire tenure as NHL commissioner a failure?

~H.E.~
Old 08-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #64
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

Yesterday.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #65
Dr. Evil
The Force Awakens

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink ranger View Post
if there is another lockout, at what point can we declare gary bettman's entire tenure as nhl commissioner a failure?

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Old 08-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #66
Shifty
Alcoholic Genius

Hopefully in a couple of years he will retire and let NHL COO John Collins become Commissioner. We don't need another lawyer with Bill Daly as comish.

Collins spent 15 years with the NFL and helped grow sponsorship and revenues. All of the NHL's growth and improved fan experience since 2006 has been because of him. He knows how to sell hockey, all Bettman likes to do is negotiate CBAs and team relocations.

Rick and Morty
Old 08-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #67
The Incredible Hulk
O AN I SEXY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
If there is another lockout, at what point can we declare Gary Bettman's entire tenure as NHL commissioner a failure?

In Bettman's defense, he represents an ownership group that doesnt know what the hell it wants. They tell him they want salary rollbacks and cost certainty and then certain members of the ownership group give insane contracts or offer sheets out to the likes of Kovalchuk, Weber, Parise, etc.

That being said, the NHL is leaps and bounds above where it was when he took over as Commish in the mid 1990's (expansion, attendance, revenue, television exposure, etc.) so I'm not sure how you grade him as a total failure just based on two (potential) lockouts?

Last edited by The Incredible Hulk; 08-27-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #68
Shifty
Alcoholic Genius

SHH! Fantasy Hockey is back for those who played last year, you can renew your teams (check your email). If you're not interested let me know so we can fill any openings.

Rick and Morty
Old 08-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #69
The Incredible Hulk
O AN I SEXY!

can we play fantasy labor negotiations instead?

Old 09-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #70
Canadian Rider
Fear nothing

I really hope there is a lockout so it's easier to get the Bears games on channels around here that I can actually watch ... instead of this BLACKOUT nonsense.

Stupid hockey and Rogers.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #71
Canadian Rider
Fear nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Incredible Hulk View Post
In Bettman's defense, he represents an ownership group that doesnt know what the hell it wants. They tell him they want salary rollbacks and cost certainty and then certain members of the ownership group give insane contracts or offer sheets out to the likes of Kovalchuk, Weber, Parise, etc.

That being said, the NHL is leaps and bounds above where it was when he took over as Commish in the mid 1990's (expansion, attendance, revenue, television exposure, etc.) so I'm not sure how you grade him as a total failure just based on two (potential) lockouts?

Uhm. Yeah. I am not sure where to start with that, but here goes;

Bettman's a tool. He has no skills and the fact that there are/have been/will be two lockouts is a prime example of why he is a tool.

He refuses to admit mistakes he has made and has moved teams out of Canada where they could have been profitable to areas in the USA where they have been ABYSMAL!

Compare him to, say, Roger Goodell of the NFL and you can see why he is so despised and seen as a failure.

He is less of a Commish and more of a puppet. Not one of those good Muppet Puppets but one of those ancient marionettes with half his strings missing and the rest in a knot ...

His job IS to lead and show leadership among the owners and he doesn't. How he allows things to happen on his watch like he does is ... well it's shocking and sad.

The NHL is going to keep going down the crapper and the biggest reason is Tool number 1 - Bettman. Nobody respects him and that's the problem.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #72
Canadian Rider
Fear nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
That's fine for the few American teams and the Canadian ones but Nashville needs to pay Weber $27 million by next summer regardless if there is a season. Glendale will get to see how the bars, restaurants and stores do without NHL hockey
My understanding is that if there is no season there is no paycheque for the players period. So if there is a missed season, the players aren't owed dime one by the owners.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:03 AM   #73
Shifty
Alcoholic Genius

There are a few players who will be paid their signing bonus if there is no season. Also injured players will also get paid.

Rick and Morty
Old 09-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #74
The Incredible Hulk
O AN I SEXY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Rider View Post
Uhm. Yeah. I am not sure where to start with that, but here goes;

Bettman's a tool. He has no skills and the fact that there are/have been/will be two lockouts is a prime example of why he is a tool.

He refuses to admit mistakes he has made and has moved teams out of Canada where they could have been profitable to areas in the USA where they have been ABYSMAL!
As I recall it was Jerry Moyes who moved the original Jets out of Winnipeg and Marcel Aubut who sold the Nordiques to the telecom company that moved them to Colorado, not Gary Bettman.

This would be like blaming Paul Tagliabue for the Browns moving to Baltimore instead of Art Modell. No one does this.

Economy was completely different in the mid 90's. The Canadian dollar was very weak. Those two teams were losing money hand over fist. At that time, out of all the Canadian teams only the Leafs and Habs were turning a profit. The Oilers almost wound up in Houston at one point.

Although if you're going to blame Bettman for moving the Jets and Nords, then you've got to give him credit for bringing the Jets back last year too. Double-edged sword there.

Quote:
Compare him to, say, Roger Goodell of the NFL and you can see why he is so despised and seen as a failure.
Goodell has been commish for only 6 years and has already one lock-out. He's alos pretty much universally despised by every player in the NFL. What am I comparing here? The fact that the NFL is insanely more popular than the NHL? That one's not really Bettman or Goodell's doing.

Quote:
He is less of a Commish and more of a puppet. Not one of those good Muppet Puppets but one of those ancient marionettes with half his strings missing and the rest in a knot ...

His job IS to lead and show leadership among the owners and he doesn't. How he allows things to happen on his watch like he does is ... well it's shocking and sad.
The owners are his bosses. His job in collective bargaining is to achieve their goals as much as possible. This is no different than anyone else on the planet who has to do what the people who pay them tell them to do.

Quote:
The NHL is going to keep going down the crapper and the biggest reason is Tool number 1 - Bettman. Nobody respects him and that's the problem.
Financially the NHL, as a whole is in the best shape it's ever been in, so I'm not sure what exactly is "going down the crapper?"

Last edited by The Incredible Hulk; 09-12-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #75
The Incredible Hulk
O AN I SEXY!

Well it looks like we can take the "?" out of the thread title now.

Way to go NHL!