Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #76
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Default Re: I wish Disney could get the rights from Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungPrime View Post
X-3 "had problems?"

The Juggernaut was terrible and pointless...this is a Hulk/Thor level character demoted to nothing...

Jean/Phoenix was pointless.....so you mean tell me that the only thing that could kill a cosmic entity that's on the same scale level as Galactus was Wolverines claws...?
And who were 90% of those other cheap disposable mutants that five X-men ran through like wet tissue paper?

What's crazy is that if any of the actually X-men books were this bad. We wouldn't even entertaining this discussion...

The problem is that most people love these characters enough to the point where they'll allow Fox to drop any type of Director, script and cast for it, just as long as they're getting an X-men film.

So fast forward to next year when Wolverine 2 fails to deliver yet again...and people will turn a blind eye to it just for the sake of denying me the right to say "I told ya so!" Thus making Fox the Ike Turner of comic book films...

You'll understand what that means when you're telling yourself "Fox isn't always bad though, it treats some Xmen films good some times..." SMH....
You're quite right that some of the X-Men characters haven't had the best treatment on the big screen.

That being said, the Marvel Studios releases also have shortcomings. They may be more respectful of the comics (as you would expect if Marvel is making movies of its own material) and they may have more accurate character representations (especially Iron Man, Cap, Thor Hulk, not so much the Avengers version of Black Widow in my view). But they don't have any depth or intelligent ideas or thought-provoking themes. They are just bright and shiny entertainment. Sometimes that is exactly what people want, as Avengers showed.

It's notable that Chris Nolan also made changes to characters. Joker wasn't exactly like comic book Joker. There were also criticisms of the portrayals of Catwoman and Bane. And
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
the John Blake version of Robin is not like the comics at all.
But, nonetheless, Nolan has created a very good Batman trilogy and he admits having little regard for the source material.

So there are different ways to approach comic book movies.

If Marvel hadn't sold off X-Men, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four (and many others that have now been reclaimed), it would no longer be in business. Marvel Studios would not exist without the deals with Fox and Sony.

I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel would like to get its hands on the X-Men films again, or it wouldn't be considering an Inhumans movie as those characters are very similar to the X-Men.

In the time since Fox tentatively put out the first X-Men film (and expected it to flop), confidence in the genre has grown and grown. So the X-Men franchise would be very different if they were starting it today.

Last edited by X-Maniac; 07-27-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:27 PM   #77
kewlmatto
Side-Kick

Everyone who is clamouring for the rights of X-Men, Spidey, etc. to return to Marvel don't realise that this will mean fewer total films.

With separate studios, we are getting more Marvel films than we otherwise would. Under Disney, there is no way we would get anymore than 4 major films in a year. Divide that between the amount of properties they would have, and it would take a while to get around to each character.

As long as Fox and Sony realise their mistakes (they already did by making the excellent First Class after X3, and TASM was a great reboot after Spidey 3), I'm happy for them to continue with the characters because it means we get more movies.

Marvel now have Blade and Punisher...how long will it be until they finally use them? I'd say a long time.

I'm not completely against a full Marvel movie universe, but these characters have their own stories to tell before we get endless crossovers.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #78
kewlmatto
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's going to take time for them to repair the damage done... especially with Punisher. They'll likely get the right back for Ghost Rider as well but looks whats been done to it. Hulk was a lot easier to Salvage. Thus him being the stand out in Avengers.
I think you're helping prove my point. When it's reverted back to Marvel, they can just sit on these properties for however long they like. There is no incentive to make a new film. Yes, previous studios screwed up the last films, but by losing the rights they have an incentive to make it work again, and soon. They let these ones go because they aren't 'first tier' characters, but thanks to X-Men 3 and Spider-Man 3, both hokey third installments, we got the very respectable First Class and Amazing. Because they have an incentive to make it work again.

In all likelihood, with Marvel going Avengers-crazy, it would take quite some time for these properties to get their franchises off the ground at Marvel. And despite Hulk's success in The Avengers, they still have no plans for a new Hulk movie. They are simply scared it won't gross enough. That's a shame.

The Amazing Spider-Man is a slight box-office disappointment. But so was Batman Begins (comparable figures). Like Begins, it will do well on DVD and will set up for a high-grossing sequel. What 'Ted' grossed is irrelevant.

I think you're letting one little moment blindside 'First Class' for you. It's a very respectable film overall and treats the characters with a good amount of dignity.

I want the option where I get the most possible films of some of my favourite characters. Unfortunately 'Daredevil' just won't get a look-in at Marvel if he returns to them. At the most he would be in a team film, which is not ideal. Yes, I hope Fox don't screw it up though, but Marvel aren't infallible either. Iron Man 2 is a plodding and overwrought sequel and personally I've never cared for Thor either.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #79
Lord
All Mighty

The Amazing Spider-Man wasn't very respectabe, the fact that it was just 10 years since the fenomenon that was Raimi's original desinterested many people, while Spider-Man 3 was a let down many people still liked it, and it made a lot of money.

It's like reboting Star Wars right after Return of the Jedi, most records and memories of cinema during the 2000s include Spider-Man as one of its most iconic movies, Marvel Studios is trying to make an arrangement with SONY to make both their franchises set in the same universe, which is basically what those that want it on MS want, Spider-man in the same universe as the Avengers, and the plus is that because SONY has to keep the rights they will use the franchise, unlike what would happen if Marvel Studios got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 07-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #80
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlmatto View Post
What 'Ted' grossed is irrelevant.
Pretty much.

Using Ted’s box office success as justification for why Marvel does it better is useless. While Ted may be outselling The Amazing Spider-Man, it’s also outselling half of Marvel Studios’ efforts and, unlike The Amazing Spider-Man, actually outgrossing those movies too. In other words, if it doesn’t star Robert Downey Jr., Ted beat it.

As for Spider-Man, any follow up to Raimi’s trilogy was always going to have its work cut out for it, whether at Sony or at Marvel. It’s laughable to use box office as a gauge for success and then say Sony didn’t do right by Spider-Man or that Marvel will easily top it. Spider-Man is still the highest grossing Marvel solo effort, and Marvel Studios’ best is still $100 million behind and falling. The rest, don’t even come close. Adjust for inflation, and this isn’t even worth discussing. Those films left too much of an indelible mark to be so easily replaced by anybody.

Last edited by BMM; 07-29-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #81
kewlmatto
Side-Kick

Quote:
Wait....are you comparing Batman Begins reboot to TASM???

Seriously......?
Yep, yep I am. Begins grossed only $205 million in its domestic run. Spider-Man has grossed $242 million. Adjust for inflation and they are pretty much the same. They were both disappointing.

When a reboot initially happens, there is a weariness from the audience to adopt the new series - Batman faced the same issues. Even early reviews of 'Begins' reflect this. Yes, overall it is a better film, completely, but in terms of success they are on par. The films pretty much do the same things for the characters' origins and feature better acting than the previous series. Begins is more thematically rich and has better action and villains, but TASM is a respectable reboot which clearly took inspiration from Warner's Batman strategy.

TASM will build the foundation to a better sequel which will gross much, much more - like The Dark Knight (not as much, granted, but it will be a similar track record). After the better sequel is created, TASM will be looked at more fondly, very much like Begins was after The Dark Knight.

I really don't see how such a comparison would be laughable.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:32 PM   #82
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

The Dark Knight Rises Is proof It's not always a good Idea to give the director total control.Just because Sam rami was forced to Include Venom In Spider-Man 3 doesn't mean he has no blame In the crap that was Spider-Man 3.I was willing to see The Amazing Spider-Man becasue I never had much love for Rami's films and this was way
before Spider-Man 3.The Amazing Spider-Man Is way better and gave me the spider-Man film I wanted to see.I am hoping Sony treats The Amazing Spider-Man as first part of series.Many thought back In 2005 Batman Begins was first part of series.I'd rather them be treated the way the james Bond series used to be till they did the unneccsary reboot.
It's a ongoing series and they recast when they need to Instead of consently rebooting.

I like the director's cut of Daredevil but since It had no followup instead of terrable Elektra spinoff I am willing to give a reboot a chance.If Daredevil went to marvel It would
be years till we see something and even then It would be watered down at Disney.

Noone on this board Is going to defend Wolverine or The Last Stand.We have had debates rather those films should even be viewed anymore In Contunity with First Class,X-Men,and X2.

X2 Is one of my top 3 comic book films so attacking it will cause me to launch defense.I was disappointed by The Dark Knight Rises but that doesn't mean I forget Nolan made 2 great Batman films.I remain fan of Tim Burton's batman films.That IS part a reason I have no Intrest In another batman reboot.I absoltetly hated the man of steel teaser.
I will stick to Donner/Singer trilogy,Smallville,and Smallville season 11 comic for Superman.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #83
JP
To me

TDKR is proof that it is indeed a great idea to give a director full control.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #84
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

OK i admit others like the dark knight rises better than I did.Just like I accept people like Spider-man 1,and 2 more than I do.

I can tell by your signature you thought It was best comic book film of 2012.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #85
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Good lord, that was a mighty attitude problem that swept through here...

Let's remember to respect everyone's opinions, folks.

For the record: the only thing that bums me out about Disney not having the rights to X-Men is that Wolverine can't be in the Avengers movies. Damn, I'd love to see that.

I can't stand what Fox did to this series in the later films (FC being exception), but if they can get their act together (FC being a good start) and make some decent films again, then I'm all for it.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:41 AM   #86
Chewy
REDACTED

X-Men and Spider-Man rights will never revert to Marvel. They're licenses to print money. And I often wonder if fans realize that those rights reverting to Marvel means fewer films featuring those characters?

Only rights I want Marvel getting back are Fan Four

Old 07-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #87
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

No studio Is going to just turn over rights to sucessfull franchise just because some
fans want It.sony announced release date for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 before the
first film even came out,and hired Alex Kurtman and Bob Orci to rewrite and executive produce before It opened.Fox Is reportly spending 175 Million on Days of Future Past.

Marvel Studios primary Intrest In films Is Avengers related propertys.and so far Disney has shown little Intrest In more than 2 marvel films a year.Assuming Ant-Man Is close to
actully going Into production we may get It and The Avengers 2 for 2015.

Maria Hill was only character In The Avengers that didn't show up In a previous film.And
did people forget all the critism of Iron Man 2 of Shield and setting up The Avengers.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #88
marcvader
Lurker #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
X-Men and Spider-Man rights will never revert to Marvel. They're licenses to print money. And I often wonder if fans realize that those rights reverting to Marvel means fewer films featuring those characters?

Only rights I want Marvel getting back are Fan Four
n Daredevil

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 07-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #89
Lord
All Mighty

I wish Daredevil was ouned by SONY, Spider-Man and Deredevil should be on the same company

Quote:
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 07-31-2012, 01:29 AM   #90
Avenger
Earth's Mightiest Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
I wish Daredevil was ouned by SONY, Spider-Man and Deredevil should be on the same company
I completely agree. I think I said something similar in an earlier post. Ideally I'd like to see the X-Men stay with Fox, Daredevil with Sony, and the Fantastic Four back with Marvel.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:48 AM   #91
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
I completely agree. I think I said something similar in an earlier post. Ideally I'd like to see the X-Men stay with Fox, Daredevil with Sony, and the Fantastic Four back with Marvel.
Yeah, if New Line Cinema still had Blade and did something with the property i would want Ghost Rider and other darker properties with them as Marvel doesn't seem to be doing anything

Quote:
Old 08-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #92
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Days of Future Past is going to ***** slap the Disney flicks.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #93
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

First, they're not Disney flicks.
Second, no, it won't.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #94
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Of course it will. They're awful

Old 08-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #95
Chewy
REDACTED

You seem bitter.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #96
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

A little.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #97
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Why would you want them back to Marvel honestly? What would be the point? Just to have Wolverine, Scarlet Witch, or Quicksilver show up in an Avengers movie for a hot second?

The X-Men are more than fine staying at Fox if they plan on treating them correctly as they did with First Class. The Marvel universe at Disney is already getting crowded as it is, the X-Men work perfectly fine in their own universe.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #98
chaseter
Bland User

Singer made two great movies and produced another great movie. If he's still on board...I trust him and Vaughn.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #99
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
Why would you want them back to Marvel honestly? What would be the point? Just to have Wolverine, Scarlet Witch, or Quicksilver show up in an Avengers movie for a hot second?

The X-Men are more than fine staying at Fox if they plan on treating them correctly as they did with First Class. The Marvel universe at Disney is already getting crowded as it is, the X-Men work perfectly fine in their own universe.
People have to be pandered to like idiots.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #100
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulholland '49 View Post
People have to be pandered to like idiots.
You might want to keep the bitterness to yourself at this point...