The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > The Avengers Sequels

View Poll Results: Who would you let Joss Whedon kill in Avengers 2?
Captain America 9 5.56%
Iron Man 17 10.49%
Thor 7 4.32%
Hulk 5 3.09%
Black Widow 19 11.73%
Hawkeye 24 14.81%
Nick Fury 20 12.35%
Maria Hill 26 16.05%
A new Avenger (please specify) 3 1.85%
A new SHIELD agent (please specify) 1 0.62%
Other (please specify) 6 3.70%
No one! 25 15.43%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2012, 12:29 AM   #151
natey2k4
Side-Kick

Default Re: Who would you let Joss Whedon kill in Avengers 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
Why not have Bucky take over?

Actually not a bad idea for Avengers #3, if Cap was to "die" in Avengers 2.

Although, I almost think I'd have Fury get killed and Captain America get captured at the end of Avengers #2 --- putting the team in a huge hole because they have no leader (Cap) or commander (Fury). Bucky could come in during Avengers #3, take over as a Cap (maybe have Bucky turn "good" at the end of Captain America #2). Have the team save Cap, Bucky give him his Shield during one of the final battles (hopefully they have two or three final battles like Star Wars going on a once --- EPIC), and go to town.

natey2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #152
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Actually not a bad idea for Avengers #3, if Cap was to "die" in Avengers 2.

Although, I almost think I'd have Fury get killed and Captain America get captured at the end of Avengers #2 --- putting the team in a huge hole because they have no leader (Cap) or commander (Fury). Bucky could come in during Avengers #3, take over as a Cap (maybe have Bucky turn "good" at the end of Captain America #2). Have the team save Cap, Bucky give him his Shield during one of the final battles (hopefully they have two or three final battles like Star Wars going on a once --- EPIC), and go to town.
I am almost certain an amnesiatic Winter Soldier will try to assassinate Cap under orders of a villain (Red Skull, HYDRA, anonymous communists, Baron Zemo, etc.) and will be snapped out of it to save Cap in the end.

I have trouble believing these subtitles like "The Winter Soldier" will be referring solely to the primary antagonist. For instance, Thor will journey to "The Dark World" for more than just a good baddy bashing.

pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #153
Lorus
Side-Kick

Personally, I think that if the MCU is going to continue indefinitely then it would be better to kill some characters, or simply stop using them. I think the notion of recasting actors to play the title characters doesn't work as well in a shared universe as it does in an isolated universe like James Bond. In order to keep characterisation consistent, the actors would be limited in the extent that they can make the role their own. Rather than have someone attempt to do an RDJ impression and be judged against him continuously, I think it would be best to let Stark die or disappear. Just give other characters a chance in the spotlight, they have enough of them.

Lorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #154
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorus View Post
Personally, I think that if the MCU is going to continue indefinitely then it would be better to kill some characters, or simply stop using them. I think the notion of recasting actors to play the title characters doesn't work as well in a shared universe as it does in an isolated universe like James Bond. In order to keep characterisation consistent, the actors would be limited in the extent that they can make the role their own. Rather than have someone attempt to do an RDJ impression and be judged against him continuously, I think it would be best to let Stark die or disappear. Just give other characters a chance in the spotlight, they have enough of them.
It has arguably been hit and miss so far, but it bears reminding that it has already happened twice in the MCU, with Cheadle and Ruffalo. Say what you will about the script/execution, but I think we can agree that the actors were able to make the roles their own while being respectful of the actors who came before. I am confident that whoever takes up the mantle after RDJ won't be doing an impression of him, but instead will be doing what Ruffalo and Cheadle did, which is bring something new to their characters while remaining true to them. What is odd to me is that you are concerned about consistent characterization, and yet you are literally suggesting character assassination. I'd prefer an actor constantly judged against RDJ than getting rid of Tony Stark in the MCU.

spideymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #155
marcvader
Lurker #1

Twitter- @mrpink13
VARTHA FOR MOD
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #156
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Of course these characters are going to be recast eventually. Not sure why people can't get past this. Dont most of you read comic books? Not including the major resets/retcons that happen every few years, new artists and writers are brought on continuously, sometimes after a few months. Plus all the one-shots. Arent you used to this by now?

Im sorry, but if you can't get your mind around the recasting of a superhero in a movie, thats on you. The idea that young(er) and talented actors will get the opportunity to put their stamp on these characters is exciting. Its heartening that Feige & co. seem to get this.

And the persistent universe is irrelevant. Unless you're a six year old. If you are a six year old, I'm sure your mom and/or dad can explain the concept of make believe. Y'know, turn it into a "teaching moment".

Oh and now I'm leaning toward killing Stark. Give him the most epic, heroic death, where he literally saves the galaxy from certain destruction. Assuming IM3 is good, he will have had a great run. Then they can just retcon his death for future movies. Or not.

Last edited by Joeyjojo72; 08-06-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Joeyjojo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #157
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
Of course these characters are going to be recast eventually. Not sure why people can't get past this. Dont most of you read comic books? Not including the major resets/retcons that happen every few years, new artists and writers are brought on continuously, sometimes after a few months. Plus all the one-shots. Arent you used to this by now?

Im sorry, but if you can't get your mind around the recasting of a superhero in a movie, thats on you. The idea that young(er) and talented actors will get the opportunity to put their stamp on these characters is exciting. Its heartening that Feige & co. seem to get this.
Yep. If anything, I'm excited to see what the next actor playing Tony Stark will bring to the table. Not that I'm rushing RDJ out the door--far from it--but I can definitely imagine one or two characterizations of Tony Stark that are pretty different from RDJ's, but still true to the character. It might not be as dominating of a presence, either, which may present a welcome balance in future Avengers movies.

Back on topic, yeah. Whedon should kill Thor. =P

Just kidding, BigThor. It's interesting that Maria Hill is leading the poll... Are we thinking that Sam Jackson is going to be Nick Fury forever and never die?

Last edited by spideymouse; 08-06-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #158
Chewy
REDACTED

Yeah they hire new artists for the books all the time. It's the nature of perpetual story telling, eventually the original crew is tapped out.

What they don't do is start drawing/writing the lead in an entirely different way in the middle of the arc, and keep everything else the same.

If the Avengers is going to continue on, Stark will eventually be recast. So will Cap, and Thor, and Hulk. But they aren't going to hire a different Stark to star alongside Evans and Hemsworth and be directed by Joss Whedon in Avengers 2 or 3. They'll keep this crew together to finish out the "Whedon arc", if you will, and then recast across the board.

Doing it any other way isn't shooting yourself in the foot, it's shooting yourself in the face.

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #159
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Yeah they hire new artists for the books all the time. It's the nature of perpetual story telling, eventually the original crew is tapped out.

What they don't do is start drawing/writing the lead in an entirely different way in the middle of the arc, and keep everything else the same.

If the Avengers is going to continue on, Stark will eventually be recast. So will Cap, and Thor, and Hulk. But they aren't going to hire a different Stark to star alongside Evans and Hemsworth and be directed by Joss Whedon in Avengers 2 or 3. They'll keep this crew together to finish out the "Whedon arc", if you will, and then recast across the board.

Doing it any other way isn't shooting yourself in the foot, it's shooting yourself in the face.
Yeah, and they definitely won't recast a guy like Ed Norton until this whole thing plays out in full... oh wait.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #160
Chewy
REDACTED

Except Ed Norton was recast before Avengers, before his character exploded in popularity. Most people aren't even aware there was a Hulk movie with Ed Norton in it.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #161
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Obviously no one is talking about recasting like tomorrow. But RDJ will have had 3 IM movies and 2 Avengers movies under his belt by 2016. Thats plenty.

It would be nice if he stuck around for one more Avengers movie and/or one more IM movie after TA2. But if he doesnt, he had a great run and they should feel free to recast it.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #162
Chewy
REDACTED

Yeah, obviously not tomorrow. But considering Evans and Hemsworth and probably SLJ and Whedon's contracts are all up after Avengers 3, Marvel is just gonna go ahead and sign RDJ to two more Avengers pics and call it a day. And RDJ isn't gonna turn down 6 more years of huge relevance and $100M. lol

Old 08-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #163
BlackFox
Kuzuri

I dont think he will kill off any of the main cast, the fans of the hero would be miffed and would probably only create a backlash from said fans.

BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #164
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
I dont think he will kill off any of the main cast, the fans of the hero would be miffed and would probably only create a backlash from said fans.
Yeah.... Just keep in mind that Whedon has done it in the past. That was what this thread was all about in the first place.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:57 PM   #165
BlackFox
Kuzuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
Yeah.... Just keep in mind that Whedon has done it in the past. That was what this thread was all about in the first place.
You may be right but I would guess that he wouldn't, we shall see, as long as its well done and well written I dont have a problem with it as such even if it was my favourite character but I still think you would some, a small minority granted, who wouldn't be happy about it.

Also some characters need more time to actually get to know first before they get killed off otherwise you wont care when it happens. Take Hawkeye or Scarlet Witch for example, if one of those was killed off it wouldn't have much impact as they got such little screen time last time we barely know them, so wouldn't carry much weight.

I have 100% faith that Whedon will do a great job whatever he decides on that front.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #166
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
You may be right but I would guess that he wouldn't, we shall see, as long as its well done and well written I dont have a problem with it as such even if it was my favourite character but I still think you would some, a small minority granted, who wouldn't be happy about it.

Also some characters need more time to actually get to know first before they get killed off otherwise you wont care when it happens. Take Hawkeye or Scarlet Witch for example, if one of those was killed off it wouldn't have much impact as they got such little screen time last time we barely know them, so wouldn't carry much weight.

I have 100% faith that Whedon will do a great job whatever he decides on that front.
Now that Whedon has an exclusive deal with Marvel from now till Avengers 2, he will have the opportunity to influence the other Phase II movies and maybe introduce a new character/expand on an existing character (like HE or BW) that we will come to know and love, so that if he kills him/her in Avengers 2, the impact will be greater. =P

Such is the blessing/curse of having Whedon!

Old 08-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #167
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Stop encouraging him

Old 08-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #168
AvengeME
Banned User

I would kill off Stark in Avengers 2 or 3. Maybe something like Batman, where he is imprisoned by the villain in Avengers 2 and then sacrifices himself in Avengers 3. Maybe Pepper gives birth to some little Starks to carry the mantle.

Try to sign RDJ to a trilogy and a nine figure contract for Avengers 2/3 and IM4. If they play their chips right, IM4 2016 and Avengers 3 in 2018. That would be a whopping seven films featuring Stark. No need to recast or reboot for quite some time.

It will depend on how good IM3 is. If it is an absolute smash, they may be willing to sign RDJ for two or three more. If it is on SM3 or X3 level, RDJ probably won't even be back for Avengers 2.

Last edited by AvengeME; 08-09-2012 at 01:33 PM.
AvengeME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #169
BlackFox
Kuzuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Stop encouraging him
Haha. Go on I DARE him to kill off someone!!

Old 08-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #170
Lord
All Mighty

If Ultron is the villain of Avengers 2 then why not kill J.A.R.V.I.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #171
catintheengine
Registered Rhymnicologist

I think we're all getting ahead of ourselves.

I think there's a lot of loyalty to characters, which I get, but we have to remember that this is a film franchise, not the comics. This is a separate entity from the comics.

Above all I want to see a great series of films which, so far, we've been fortunate enough to get.

I do NOT want to see them kill of characters just to resurrect them in the next movie. That diminishes any emotional impact. There's a saying among screenwriters: "Don't be afraid to kill your babies." Meaning that sometimes decisions have to be made, characters have to be killed, for the purpose of the story.

I am a huge Iron Man fan and I have no shame in saying that I would rather see the character killed off in a dignified way than see the character just dragged out and dried up.

If they do recast I would rather it be for a reboot some years down the road than to see them recast the part for any hypothetical fourth Iron Man movie or, even worse, for the third Avengers. Joss Whedon and company are smart filmmakers, and recasting Iron Man for a single movie isn't smart film making.

catintheengine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:24 AM   #172
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Feige has already clearly stated they intend to recast rather than reboot. This probably wont happen for a while, but it is gonna happen. Fine by me as long the movies are good.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:57 AM   #173
Silvermoth
Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
If Ultron is the villain of Avengers 2 then why not kill J.A.R.V.I.S.
Well how would that work? Jarvis is an AI. He probably saves himself out all the time.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #174
catintheengine
Registered Rhymnicologist

You know, the more I think about it, the more I think we might not see a death in A2 at all. They killed off a really likable character in Avengers and I think we may end up getting a reprieve for the second film, just to have Joss throw us for a loop and kill off a few characters in the third.

catintheengine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #175
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
Well how would that work? Jarvis is an AI. He probably saves himself out all the time.
Because Ultron is A.I. too, while he takes over the networks he may take over Jarvis, or Jarvis can sacrifice himself while trying to destroy Ultron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote