The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 07-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #226
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Default Re: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014): Will tie-in with The Avengers

Just imagine if by some miracle, somehow, Joss Whedon would direct every single MCU movie? How great would that be.

Highly impossible, but great.

jaqua99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #227
Savage
Earth Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
So who should direct this puppy? Whedon will probably be too busy preparing for TA2 and Brad Bird seems to have committed himself to other projects the next couple years, so who else?

Seems they already have a script, but since rewrites are likely, maybe they should hire someone who knows how to rework a script as well as direct.

Someone somewhere suggested Drew Goddard, with Whedon producing and rewriting if necessary. Maybe you need someone more experienced for a project this size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
I think the most important element is someone who can intelligently direct a large ensemble cast. The general audience and critics have no idea who these characters are; making them likeable is just as important as providing spectacle.

I believe Goddard can do that on a writing level, but he doesn't seem to have a whole lot of directorial experience.
This is going to seem like an odd choice (maybe not so much after his next movie) but the cast of strange creatures and people makes me feel that Guillermo Del Toro would be an excellent choice to handle these guys and make a budget look like double what it really is. He also has a way of making them seem relateable despite being covered in incredible amounts of makeup or even being pure CG. Being a big fan of the Hellboy movies, I'd like to see how Del Toro would handle something so strange.

I know he's supposed to be working on The Incredible Hulk tv series in some capacity but Marvel hasn't exactly been talking about that project. I'd love to see his usual flair and color palette being used in GOTG. A talking tree and raccoon really would not seem all that out of place in a Guillermo Del Toro movie.

"Why are you trying to kill my kid?! You know what? I don't care. You got some beef with him or me? Whatever. You trying to start a rogues gallery of some sort? I ain't got half as much patience as Batman or The Flash. If he dies...so do you." - Green Arrow
Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:16 PM   #228
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

This probably wont be a popular choice, but I actually think Andrew Stanton would be a good pick for GOTG, John Carter had a large cast and though it bombed it wasnt a bad movie, quite good in fact in most places.

It also proved he could handle crazy creatures and dialects, not to mention special effects with the Tharks looking really good most of the time. Its an out there choice, but lets face it, it wouldnt be Marvel's first.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #229
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Itll never happen so no need to comment on stanton.

Del toro could work but he may feel too constrained by the story /character requirements.

Joeyjojo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #230
Pink Ranger
TV Poster, Radio Face

Okay, I'm going to throw something out of left field here:

Jonathan Frakes. He knows the science fiction genre inside out, he's directed what many consider the best Star Trek movie (First Contact), which has some pretty good space action, and he's had experience doing action-oriented ensemble pieces that feature a team of witty "hero" characters (some of the episodes of Leverage he's directed are my favorite).

Plus, he's done an episode of Dollhouse, so he has a Whedon connection.

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #231
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
This probably wont be a popular choice, but I actually think Andrew Stanton would be a good pick for GOTG, John Carter had a large cast and though it bombed it wasnt a bad movie, quite good in fact in most places.

It also proved he could handle crazy creatures and dialects, not to mention special effects with the Tharks looking really good most of the time. Its an out there choice, but lets face it, it wouldnt be Marvel's first.

Stanton is radioactive as far as Disney is concerned, so I'd say that's a definite no. He already managed to get one Disney chairman fired. Alan Horn probably has nightmares about greenlighting a $200 million Stanton flick and being burned at the stake by Disney shareholders.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #232
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

^This.

And Ryker is strictly a tv director now. Try harder guys.

The Potter and Bourne films have proven that you don't need directors with large scale genre experience to be successful, so feel free to look outside the box.

Last edited by Joeyjojo72; 07-12-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #233
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
^This.

And Ryker is strictly a tv director now. Try harder guys.

The Potter and Bourne films have proven that you don't need directors with large scale genre experience to be successful, so feel free to look outside the box.
What, exactly, makes a TV director such a horribly impossible pick? You act like directing for TV infects him, rendering him plagued and dangerous to approach.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #234
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

no problem with tv directors. but frakes had his shot and that part of his career is over. hes lucky to get crappy kids fare at this point. first contact was a loooong time ago, and he had a lot of help with that one. hes no auteur, never was. hes competent, nothing more (and thats debatable if you look at his movie resume). dont get me wrong, burn notice and the like is fun, and he directed one of my fave dollhouse eps, but unless he has compromising photos of studio head, hes not getting tentpole gigs like GotG.

there are a ton of very talented directors/writers working in cable tv right now on shows like breaking bad and game of thrones. this is where many of the next crop of movie makers will come from. bbc and arthouses as well.

Last edited by Joeyjojo72; 07-12-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:42 AM   #235
TikkiEXX
Side-Kick

yeah theres a ton of talent out there to choose from as far as directors go. and im always interested to see who Marvel picks. cant say ive been disapointed so far. and didnt one of the Game of Throne guys almost get Thor 2? so that backs up your post joeyjojo. honestly ultra excited about this movie. have complete faith in Marvel. the only thing im worried about is that they may use that horrible,terrible,fake, Jeph Loeb created, so called Nova theyve been featuring lately. please,please make it Richard Rider or dont even bother. oh yeah if Gladiator shows up ill pee my pants. lol. that dude is so badass it isnt even funny. gained a whole new level of respect for him after reading Annihilation and all the other cosmic books from a bit ago. damn shame they cancelled all those comics.

TikkiEXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:44 AM   #236
Pink Ranger
TV Poster, Radio Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
What, exactly, makes a TV director such a horribly impossible pick? You act like directing for TV infects him, rendering him plagued and dangerous to approach.
Yeah, I guess a director who's mainly known for his TV work can't handle an ensemble comic book movie. Oh wait ...

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:23 AM   #237
xeno000
Raining hell from above

TV directors just got hired for CA2 and Thor 2, so Marvel obviously has no problem with them. Kenneth Branagh has done a lot of TV in recent years, for that matter, although his film career is distinguished. An article in either the Guardian or the Telegraph (UK) made the case for TV being the medium that is taking the lead in innovative storytelling and the writer gave that as the reason for the influx of TV directors into film.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #238
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

I read the same article, and agree completely.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #239
TikkiEXX
Side-Kick

the team for the movie is Star Lord,Draxx,Gamorra and finally........Groot and Rocket Racoon!!!! honestly didnt think theyd do either of those guys.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #240
Boom
I got nothin'

That concept art of Rocket Raccoon just single-handedly sold me on this movie. ****ing brilliant .

Old 07-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #241
souNdwAve89
Side-Kick

From the Iron Man 3 panel.

souNdwAve89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #242
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Rocket Raccoon is going to be the Hulk of 2014. Bank on it.

Saitou Hajime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #243
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikkiEXX View Post
yeah theres a ton of talent out there to choose from as far as directors go. and im always interested to see who Marvel picks. cant say ive been disapointed so far. and didnt one of the Game of Throne guys almost get Thor 2? so that backs up your post joeyjojo. honestly ultra excited about this movie. have complete faith in Marvel. the only thing im worried about is that they may use that horrible,terrible,fake, Jeph Loeb created, so called Nova theyve been featuring lately. please,please make it Richard Rider or dont even bother. oh yeah if Gladiator shows up ill pee my pants. lol. that dude is so badass it isnt even funny. gained a whole new level of respect for him after reading Annihilation and all the other cosmic books from a bit ago. damn shame they cancelled all those comics.
Game Of Thrones guy DID get Thor 2...

Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #244
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

I have no idea other than Joss Whedon (heh...) who I'd want to direct GotG. Brad Bird? Duncan Jones? Joe Cornish? Joe Carnahan? Drew Godard? As far as TV goes... um, anyone who has ever directed a Battlestar Galactica episode? Yeah I'm drawing a blank.

I really would've loved an announcement about Black Panther and Ms. Marvel, but am very pleasantly surprised that Rocket Raccoon and Groot made the team. RR was trending on Twitter for a while, as well as The Dark World and (SQUEE!!) The Winter Soldier.

Suzanne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #245
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

I want to know the budget for this. It would seemingly be hugely expensive.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:03 PM   #246
Aztec
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
No doubt. But Marvel's got the cash now with The Avengers and need I mention that Disney is behind all of this? It will get its budget and it will make it back 3 fold!

Superman Batman Wonder Woman
Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:06 PM   #247
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage View Post
This is going to seem like an odd choice (maybe not so much after his next movie) but the cast of strange creatures and people makes me feel that Guillermo Del Toro would be an excellent choice to handle these guys and make a budget look like double what it really is. He also has a way of making them seem relateable despite being covered in incredible amounts of makeup or even being pure CG. Being a big fan of the Hellboy movies, I'd like to see how Del Toro would handle something so strange.

I know he's supposed to be working on The Incredible Hulk tv series in some capacity but Marvel hasn't exactly been talking about that project. I'd love to see his usual flair and color palette being used in GOTG. A talking tree and raccoon really would not seem all that out of place in a Guillermo Del Toro movie.
Be nice if he could even do Guillermo Del Toro a Planet Hulk movie. I think he's the only one that can pull something like that off with out going 100% CGI on everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saitou Hajime View Post
Rocket Raccoon is going to be the Hulk of 2014. Bank on it.
Woldn't be the first time the Hulk had to share his glory with him.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 07-14-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:07 PM   #248
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
I don't think Marvel would even think of giving this movie the greenlight if they didn't think they could make it work and make some money off of it.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #249
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

SOOOO Beautiful!

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7.5/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10
Quasimod0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:44 PM   #250
TikkiEXX
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
Game Of Thrones guy DID get Thor 2...
really!? id lost track of the story and wasnt sure who got it. thats awesome! i was hoping he would. well this day just got even better. lol