The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spider-Man 1, 2 & 3

Old 06-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
TMC1982
Side-Kick

Default SPIDER-MAN 3=Marvel's BATMAN & ROBIN?

*Both movies also introduced the heroes' first significant love interests (Julie Madison for Batman and Gwen Stacy for Spider-Man), yet they ultimately come across as one-dimensional and play little real importance to the overall plot at the end of the day.

*Both movies use mind-control as a plot device (i.e. Poison Ivy's love potion and the symbiote respectively).

*Both movies seem to portray the police as utterly incompetent boobs. In Spider-Man 3, how come Captain Stacy doesn't seem so concerned over his daughter dangling for her life on a crane? Also, there's the important subject of Captain Stacy all of a sudden telling Peter and Aunt May the truth surrounding Uncle Ben's death. In Batman & Robin, we get by far, the most degrading portrayal of Gordon from Pat Hingle (i.e. having him say lines like "There's a new villain on the loose!" and the scene in which Poison Ivy is seducing him before telling him that "He's too old for her!").

*Both movies feature butlers who eventually and somehow play pivotal roles in the plot towards the end.

*Both movies feature popular modern age villains (i.e. Bane and Venom), whose portrayals wound up to be heavily criticized by fans.

*The whole conflict (often boiling down to jealousy and miscommunication) between Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson arguably mirrors that of Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson in Spider-Man 3.

*Both franchises got rebooted for darker, more "realistic" adaptations after these movies.

*Both films are heavily criticized for seemingly spoofing the source material. More to the point, both films were criticized for not portraying the main characters properly.

*In both films the marketing and studio interference more than likely negatively effected the finished and overall product.

*Both suffered from an excess of villains and side characters.

*Both Sandman and Mr. Freeze's motives for committing crime is to aid a sick loved one.

Last edited by TMC1982; 07-20-2012 at 03:09 AM.
TMC1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Default Re: SPIDER-MAN 3=Marvel's BATMAN & ROBIN?

Oh Lord.....this won't end well.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #3
Venom75
I'm symbiotic!

Spider-man 3 has it's faults,but in NO way,shape or form is it as bad as Batman and Robin. Hell,I wouldn't even consider it in the area of one of the worst comic book films ever. Yes,it's an extremely flawed film in many ways,but it's still alot of fun,entertaining and it still manages to care about the main characters. It gets way too much hate(and this coming from a HUGE Venom/symbiote fan).
Just my humble opinion.

Official fan of The Raimi Spider-man Trilogy 2002-2007

Never Forget 9/11/01
Venom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:26 AM   #4
cloverfan98
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom75 View Post
Spider-man 3 has it's faults,but in NO way,shape or form is it as bad as Batman and Robin. Hell,I wouldn't even consider it in the area of one of the worst comic book films ever. Yes,it's an extremely flawed film in many ways,but it's still alot of fun,entertaining and it still manages to care about the main characters. It gets way too much hate(and this coming from a HUGE Venom/symbiote fan).
Just my humble opinion.
Agreed! I was never a fan of Venom until SM3 made "get" the character. However this is in NO WAY MArvel's Batman and Robin. It was a step down from one of the best superhero films ever made with SM2, but only a step. B&R went runing down the steps. If you want to see a MArvel version of Batman and Robin may I suggest some of the tv films such as Dr Strange and Elektra. Oh and Howard the Duck.

cloverfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:32 AM   #5
BrollySupersj
Talent for disruption

Never did I associate Spider-Man 3 with Batman and Robin,

BrollySupersj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:09 AM   #6
GwensNeckBrace
Go Get 'Em Tiger

I would say that calling Spider-Man 3 the Batman & Robin of Marvel is an overstatement.

GwensNeckBrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:11 AM   #7
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Gosh dangit...."GwensNeckBrace"....that name made me laugh.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:11 AM   #8
PSYLENTGuardian
El Pollos Hermano

Spider-Man 3 and Batman & Robin don't deserve to have an equal sign between them.

PSYLENTGuardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:10 AM   #9
El Payaso
Banned User

It was the very first thing I thought when I saw the movie. And even more when I found out SM3 was the last moiviue from the franchise.

No, I don't see one bit of a difference between dancing Peter and the Bat-credit card. Oh, except that the Bat-credit card joke was much shorter.

What puts SM3 above B&R? Better CGI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Oh Lord.....this won't end well.
This never started well.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #10
Venom75
I'm symbiotic!

One of the many reasons,at least for me,that Spidey 3 is nowhere near as bad as Batman and Robin has to do with the characters themselves. I have always viewed Spider-man and his universe as alot of fun,and at times it does have an excuse to be cheesy and goofy. Although,it also can be very dangerous and serious as well. So,what Raimi did(in all 3 films)is excusable and can be expected,I think. I will say that in some scenes he did go a bit far with the comedy,though. But overall,people shouldn't have been too surpised with seeing Spider-man 3 have it's goofy and cheesy moments. Spider-man and the films have always been like a fun rollercoaster ride.
But,Batman is the exact opposite of Spidey. Batman and his world are darker and more serious(although,there is room for comedy)and have much more of a pyschological edge to them than a series like Spider-man would. So,to see Batman pull out a Bat-card and act like a clown goes against everything the character really stood for. Spider-man 3 had alot of serious moments to it,but I think it could have afforded to be goofy,since the character has a bit of comedy in him. But,seeing a dark universe and the characters in it reduced to something like a Batman and Robin and how utterly goofy,colorful and silly it was,well,I don't see how anyone could compare the two movies at all.
Again,just my opinion. And I don't think it's fact at all. It all depends on your point of view. I still like Spider-man 3,flaws and all.

Never Forget 9/11/01
Old 07-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #11
JerseyJoker
Side-Kick

NOT EVEN F***IN' SLIGHTLY does Spidey 3 = B&R.

Jesus, its like people have short term memory loss when it comes to films.

The only similarities the two films share is that they were the last of their current franchises before reboots. That's it.

Batman and Robin was a colossus disappointment that played toward children, pun jokes, bad writing, and just a lack of not caring for the overal product as much as the toy sales.

Spidey 3 was victim of a director being told what to do by its studio and delivering an ALRIGHT film when much more was expected.

The Jersey Critic (Latest Review: The Wolverine!)

Visit. Enjoy. Comment.
JerseyJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Spider-Man 3 = X-Men 3.

Batman & Robin = Superman 4.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #13
Mr.?
Side-Kick

Spider-Man 3 is bad but nowhere near as bad as Batman and Robin. At least Spider-man 3 has some impressive visuals and action scenes.

Mr.? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #14
Piper Maru
Side-Kick

It's nowhere near Batman & Robin.

Piper Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #15
webhead731
I'm a photographer

Marvel's Batman and Robin would be around Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance or Elektra.

Even those aren't as bad.

Spider-Man 3 is flawed but good.

webhead731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #16
Venom75
I'm symbiotic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webhead731 View Post

Spider-Man 3 is flawed but good.
That's my opinion of the movie.

Never Forget 9/11/01
Old 07-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #17
El Payaso
Banned User

Spider-man 3 is a flaw of the franchise.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:55 PM   #18
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

SM3 is a dog with fleas. B&R is the turd that fleas snack on.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:11 AM   #19
Anno_Domini
Banned User

You know Spider-Man 3 isn't good enough when no one thinks of the Spider-Man series whenever someone asks what is a great trilogy.

But...Batman & Robin bad? With B&R, I shook my head in disgust and laughed at how close to a parody it is of a CBM. With Spider-Man 3, I only shook my head of the potential the film had but never "got there".

Old 07-10-2012, 03:03 AM   #20
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
You know Spider-Man 3 isn't good enough when no one thinks of the Spider-Man series whenever someone asks what is a great trilogy.

But...Batman & Robin bad? With B&R, I shook my head in disgust and laughed at how close to a parody it is of a CBM. With Spider-Man 3, I only shook my head of the potential the film had but never "got there".
That happens to me with SM3. Not the whole but most of it. Nonsensical dancing, strutting, singing, the butler, and Jameson as an exhausted caricature trying to be funny beyond the writers' possibilities. Not much better than the bat-credit card or the "chill" puns.

Of course B&R is worse. But when you are so down on the scale you don't really care for the difference.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:38 AM   #21
bullets
bang bang

The first half of Spider-man 3 is decent , it just falls apart somewhere in the middle. Batman and Robin is a complete failure. I don't compare the two.

bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:17 AM   #22
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Err not at all! Spider-Man didn't flop and it got a fresh rating in RottenTomatoes.

Just because it wasn't loved by everybody, it had a lot of flaws and it was the last movie after the reboot, it doesn't mean its already in the levels of Batman & Robin.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #23
zeptron
Side-Kick

More like the Batman Forever. Now had Raimi stayed on for Spider-man 4, that surely would been the Batman & Robin of the franchise with the stuff that was planned.

zeptron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #24
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #25
ALP
In The Mountains

Spidey 3 is a failure because it attempted to take itself 50% seriously with the tragic villains, retconning Uncle Ben's death, and the death of Pete's best friend. Yet the other half was really terrible cheese... Raimi and whoever else put it together had no idea if they wanted to make a cheesy comedy or a serious superhero movie. So Spider-Man 3 is a terrible mash of both.

There is absolutely no misidentifying Batman and Robin. It was meant to be a 'toyetic' crock of over the top camp and that's exactly what it is from beginning to end with the only exception being the small subplot with Alfred. It was garbage but Batman and Robin knew exactly what it wanted to be. Spider-Man 3 suffers identity crisis.

"We want to see the newest things. That is because we want to see the future, even if only momentarily. It is the moment in which, even if we don't completely understand what we have glimpsed, we are nonetheless touched by it. This is what we have come to call art." -Takashi Murakami

God has a name...and it is CHRISTOPHER NOLAN
ALP is offline   Reply With Quote