The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man

View Poll Results: Give a rating for The Amazing Spider-Man movie.
10 32 12.21%
9 84 32.06%
8 65 24.81%
7 36 13.74%
6 22 8.40%
5 8 3.05%
4 6 2.29%
3 4 1.53%
2 1 0.38%
1 4 1.53%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #51
gkokujin
Side-Kick

Default Re: RATE The Amazing Spider-Man. NO Discussions

7/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateJustin View Post
no kid in fifteen years will recall what was going on in the haze of animated card game shows where cat faced japanese children yelled annoyingly and danced around and shot mushrooms out of their mouths.
gkokujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #52
Easter Lily
Side-Kick

8.75/10

Loved it but editing could've been a lot better.

Easter Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:51 PM   #53
El Payaso
Banned User

9/10

Very good!!!

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:45 PM   #54
nogap87
Side-Kick

7/10

nogap87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:03 AM   #55
docdoc
Side-Kick

Saw it twice so far, pretty damn amazing! Andrew Garfield definitely plays a better Peter Parker/Spider-Man, it makes you believe his Peter Parker IS spider-man, rather than playing two separate characters like Tobey.

The action was nearly better than spider-man 1~3 combine (if it wasn't for the train scene from spider-man 2), I'm amazed how many new moves/fighting style for spidey have been developed even after 10 years of big screen history. Some part of the story was similar to the old ones, yes, but consider there's only so little way to pull it off (Uncle Ben's death and how it affect peter), I would say they had done a nice job on re-telling the origin.

I am touched to see how the helping hands were given to spidey when it is needed, while it is spider-man's responsibility to save the city, it is also people's responsibilities to save themselves. Emma Stone provide a certain level of help rather than just stand there and scream for savior. These elements have been processed poorly in Raimi's films back then.

Of course there are some elements I am not satisfied about, like Lizard's head, odd editing, repetitive score...and the confusing part where Conner hear voice in his head/unknown villain in the cell. I consider myself quite familiar with spider-man comics but no straight forward explanation can be found.

The film is overall realistic, believable, logical and enjoyable, like how any good superhero film suppose to be.
I gave it 9/10.

Seriously, after watching this I have a hard time to review the original trilogy, specially the poorly-done spider-man 3.

Last edited by docdoc; 07-06-2012 at 12:06 AM.
docdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:37 AM   #56
Mary Jane Watson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Who? View Post
8/10. Really enjoyed what was there, but felt like this is a Daredevil situation: too much was cut out, which made some things feel sloppy or under developed. Hopefully we will get a directors cut...that may very well boost my score to a 9.5 or even a 10.
Same here. 8 or 8.5/10

I need to Watch it again to make final decision

A movie stands on its own. The "changes" aren't important - the quality of the film is.
Mary Jane Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #57
shinlyle
King of the Haters

10/10.

Check out my art!
http://shinlyle.deviantart.com/
shinlyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #58
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

7/10. I thought it was a good movie.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #59
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

8/10. Good start.

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #60
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

6/10 I didn't like it all. Terrible camera work. Bad pacing. Meh music. Weak villain. Corny/Angsty Spider-Man.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #61
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Posted in the discussion thread, but saving it to this one:

This film was a very mixed bag for me. In certain parts, the film shines and is excellent. Other parts, it is utter crap and lacks logic. This film does a great job with Spider-Man's overall movement. He moves fast, gracefully, and it looks excellent. In this way, it was like Spider-Man was real. Emma Stone also shines as Gwen Stacy. In Raimi's films, MJ was a questionnable love interest/character at many points, but you can see the attraction to Gwen and she has excellent chemistry with Garfield. Both Field and Sheen shine as Uncle Ben and Aunt May, as well. While I prefer the more old style Aunt May, Sally Field did a great job with the newer version of Aunt May. I only wish she got more screentime because she disappears a bit after Ben dies, which is criminal. Likewise, Sheen echoes Unlce Ben perfectly. I especially love the part where he tells Peter to apologize to Aunt May. Heck, I even love these two bickering over meat loaf. Excellent jobs!

Now to begin where I think the movie falls off course. While I think Garfield does a good job in his performance, I think Tobey's Peter Parker was far more likeable. This version of Peter Parker was harder for me to like. He was short tempered with people. He was annoyingly awkward in a few scenes. He doesn't seem to grow overall as a person as much as Tobey's Parker did. This Peter is just kind of obnoxious and a jerk to people, while in the Raimi films, Peter was a kind person whose one moment of arrogance and selfishness cost him his family. I know this Peter is supposed to be a more bitter version of Parker, and I get the choice and I am glad they do something new with it. But, in the manner it is done, I was more hardpressed to root for him. At the same time, I do like that they focused more on Peter being a scientifically gifted mind. It was downplayed a bit in the Raimi films, and I liked it in here.

I also am mixed on Curt Connors. Say what you want about the serum making him evil, but he wasn't exactly a "great" guy before he injected himself. He was still shady and hiding the truth from Peter. He clearly has a shifty moral compass in spots, and that I feel takes away the tragedy and what makes the Lizard interesting. Also, all his monologues on why we should let him make us lizards were silly, and in a serious movie, it was hard for me to take it seriously. Also in regard to the villains, I also am not a fan of the newer interpretation of "Norman Luthor." I like in the older comics how Norman had the dual personality, which drove him to evil. I liked the melodramatic conflict Peter has between his loyatly to Harry vs duty as Spider-Man to stop his father. In this film, it makes Peter almost destined to be Norman's arch-enemy as far back as like age 7. I think that is a far less interesting way to go about it, and it makes Norman more like every other rich villain in the history of these types of films.

This film also has some VERY stupid points in the story. Someone pointed out how distractingly bad Oscorp's security is, and I agree. Not a guard in sight while a FIRED man leaves all his possessions in his office and comes and goes as he pleases. And Gwen got to that reactor thing and locked down the lab with no resistance. Not very realistic. But, the realism bubble for me burst 100% when that part with the crane guys comes up. Totally stupid. I could excuse the New Yorkers saving Spidey in SM1 because it was just after 9/11. Here, there is no excuse. It's just stupid. It comes out of left field and it was an extremely lazy way to get Peter to the Lizard. I also feel the discovery of his powers was done better in the Raimi films. In this one, that scene seems to drag, especially when you intercut the skatboarding into it. The score for this movie was also very meh and bland. I know some people enjoy the part when Peter asks Gwen out, but to me, that scene dragged on FAR too long and overstayed its welcome. I kind of wanted to punch Peter during that scene and was begging for it to end, which is odd because I wanted several other scenes to last longer that were far less "relevant."

In closing, upon hearing about the reboot, I was sad not to get a proper conclusion to the Raimi series of Spider-Man films. Raimi's trilogy was accurate to the older era of Spider-Man comics. From the frail Aunt May, to the personal melodrama around his secret, it hit on all those things that made Spider-Man what he was in the 60s under Stan Lee and Steve Ditko. In the comics, I have been more turned off as Spider-Man did things like become an Avenger, Norman becoming Lex Luthor essentially, etc. The Amazing Spider-Man pulls more from these elements of the Spider-Man comics, and while it does a decent job at pulling from those elements, it just isn't my favored era. As such, I prefer Raimi's vision overall. This isn't a bad movie by any means. It's just not great nor my cup of tea when it comes to Spider-Man.

Overall Rating: 3/5

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #62
bullets
bang bang

9/10......... Amazing!!

I'm not sure if I like this more than Spider-man 2 , both have their moments. I definitely prefer this Peter Parker. He has flaws and the emotion felt more real to me.

bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #63
Marvel Spider
Amazing.

9/10. There are little nitpicks and things I wished were resolved in the first movie, but I loved the movie.

Last edited by Marvel Spider; 07-06-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Marvel Spider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #64
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

8/10

When it's good it's incredible but the bits that aren't good (and there is a few) drag the movie down. This is my exact same review of Prometheus, good but not great but a definate Blu ray purchase.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #65
MrSpoiler15
Banned User

5/10. The first Raimi film was far superior. In fact I'm going to re-watch it now.

MrSpoiler15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #66
Baneis8feettall
Half face half amazing

5/10 or 6/10. If you could able mix original Spiderman and this it would be great adaptation though. It's like they lack of each others great parts.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #67
roach
I am the night

6/10

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #68
Fudgie
Banned User

10/10. Way better than Raimi's ones.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #69
AF3619
WOOO!

9/10

AF3619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:51 AM   #70
Radioactive
Side-Kick

8.5/10

Radioactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #71
dingdongbannu

9.5. I gave it a 9 on the poll though.

dingdongbannu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #72
JOE

A solid 8 here.

JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #73
RustyCage
Come what may..

11/10.

I went into this as someone who had lost interest in Spider-man after growing up as a huge fan. I thought I had just grown out of it, couldn't relate anymore. So, it was really just a shot in the dark to me that looked like it could get things more right than Raimi's version. Boyyyy was that an understatement!

I went into this distracted by thoughts of The Dark Knight Rises. Now I can't even begin to THINK about TDKR anymore, I've become thoroughly charmed out of my socks by Spider-man. I'm thankful I have a few weeks for that buzz to fade... whew...

Three words: nuance, spectacle, emotion. One of my favorite movies ever. Fantastic writing, framing, acting, -everything- was beautiful.

My whole family wants to go back and see it again.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #74
Maximum Carnage
Tanned User

9/10!

Maximum Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #75
molp
Side-Kick

8/10 pretty much everything I wanted in a spidey movie

molp is offline   Reply With Quote