The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 07-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #26
def28
Side-Kick

Default Re: X Men First Class 2 Casting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
about the characters choice, we have to remember that Singer had Sunfire on the first draft, or his treatment.

So if we take that into account and the movie itself, we have:

Beast (original x-men, comics of the 60's)
Havok (mutant from the 60's too)
Sunfire (60's too)
Banshee (new x-men from Second Genesis, on the 70's)

This really seems like Singer wanted to be faithfull to the x-men from the early comics some way.

So this would directly lead to Polaris, since she along with Havok where the first new mutants to appear on the 60's, after the original five.
Dazzler was in the first draft too. Grant Morrison characters were in FC, and Darwin who is from the mid 2000's I think. There is no specific rule for characters based on when they appear in the comics. They pick on if they are unused and if there power can work in the plot or be a good contrast for villains. Banshee was chosen because he could use sonar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
I kinda wanna see Dazzler
Dazzler is an easy fit, Disco started around the late 60s. Since she can manipulate sound and light her shows would be ahead of its time anyways. Shes a much easier character to throw in.

Last edited by def28; 07-02-2012 at 06:15 PM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #27
Angamb
Banned User

none said there is a rule, def.

I just made a point, taking into account the actual x-men of First Class.

not Darwin and Angel, who never ended on Xavier school.

The current x-men of First Class have a connection with the comics of the 60's and 70's, we cant deny that.

So it wouldnt be a bad idea for Matthew and Singer to keep with this idea, dont u think?

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #28
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
The current x-men of First Class have a connection with the comics of the 60's and 70's, we cant deny that.

So it wouldnt be a bad idea for Matthew and Singer to keep with this idea, dont u think?
I dont think thats true though. At least from what Ive read on how they pick characters.

Sunfire was chosen because Singer liked the idea of fire VS Ice (in the symbolic form of Emma). Not because the year he was created. I really dont think they choose because of the years, they are all over the place. They choose to what fits the story, their powers and rather or not the characters been used. Half the characters in FC were introduced in 1980 or later. They wanted Sync as well who was from the 90s. Not trying to prove you wrong, I just personally dont see them going out of their way to only choose characters form the 60s and 70s, or how that will be the better choices for characters on a story.

Last edited by def28; 07-02-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #29
Angamb
Banned User

Im so 100% sure either, but one day I just noticed the connection, I really loved it.

So thats why Id love to see them trying to follow the origin of the x-men someway. It would be really cool, in my opinion. and I think some fans would appreciate it at the end.

Im sure if they choose another x-men from new mutants or something, many people will complain again...

so the best thing Fox can do is try to improve past mistakes, and start following the original comis a bit more, and Im sure the critics and many haters will be a bit more pleased.

Id love to see that. at least me, I guess, hehe

on another note, I think we should move this discussion to another topic, no? since this is the casting ideas, lol

Old 07-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #30
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Cassidy View Post
British Psylocke - Emilia Clarke
Totally missed this. Id take Emilia Clarke for any X Men character.

Jake Cassidy, you always post good pics of the ladies Any Polaris, Dazzler or Husk ideas?

Last edited by def28; 07-02-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #31
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
So thats why Id love to see them trying to follow the origin of the x-men someway. It would be really cool, in my opinion. and I think some fans would appreciate it at the end.

Im sure if they choose another x-men from new mutants or something, many people will complain again...
Meh I wont. Its so far off that Ive lost interest in being comic accurate. I just want good X Men movies. Whatever Vaughn and crew come up with I hope its as good as FC. Just paying respect to two decades doesnt matter to me, especially cause they are different rosters. But too each their own. Hope we all get a good flick in the end.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #32
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan83 View Post
what would anyone think of the idea of Polaris, instead of his daughter, being the result of Shaw's experimenting on him (not necessarily a clone) but maybe him played with the idea of injecting mutant DNA into a pregnant woman or some form of artificial means such as that

which would allow her to be late teen/adult at this time...
That would be one of the few ways to make Polaris work. The other would be to have her come from the future, as a full-grown adult.

The similarity in powers means that she would have to be somehow linked to Magneto, by birth or the genetic experimentation you mention. Maybe she was a government project as a countermeasure to Magneto.

The duplication of powers in having both Magneto and Polaris could be an issue, although we have managed to live with Xavier, Jean and Emma all having telepathy and Nightcrawler, Wraith and Azazel all having teleportation.

It'll be interesting to see what they come up with...

Old 07-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #33
Angamb
Banned User

yeah, its not a problem at all. As always, it just depends on how the creative team tell the story and the arc of the characters.

They can do many things with this characters that I cant help but to be excited with this franchise again

Old 07-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #34
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Meh I wont. Its so far off that Ive lost interest in being comic accurate. I just want good X Men movies. Whatever Vaughn and crew come up with I hope its as good as FC. Just paying respect to two decades doesnt matter to me, especially cause they are different rosters. But too each their own. Hope we all get a good flick in the end.
I take your point. Comic book alignment is way out of the window now, so whatever they choose has to serve the story and be convincingly presented. As long as they don't forget the source material altogether. It can still be preserved in characterisations, power depictions, character relationships. I wouldn't want anything totally stupid to be done...

Old 07-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #35
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
The duplication of powers in having both Magneto and Polaris could be an issue, although we have managed to live with Xavier, Jean and Emma all having telepathy and Nightcrawler, Wraith and Azazel all having teleportation.

It'll be interesting to see what they come up with...
Telepathy,morphing and teleportation are pretty standard mutations and powers that get used in lots of movies. If distict powers like Wolverines or Cylcops are mimicked people will call copycat unless explained. They are somewhat iconic. With moving Metal there is only one guy who does that on screen who is very significant, if someone else is doing that in the same flick people will want an explination and ask questions. Same with Nightcrawler and Azazel. They are too similar. If they are seperate flicks then no one will care as much....

...at least I think so haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I take your point. Comic book alignment is way out of the window now, so whatever they choose has to serve the story and be convincingly presented. As long as they don't forget the source material altogether. It can still be preserved in characterisations, power depictions, character relationships. I wouldn't want anything totally stupid to be done...
Yeah, Definitely. As long as its for the story and FC continues to be good I could care less when a character appeared in the comics.

Last edited by def28; 07-02-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #36
Angamb
Banned User

I need more lovers of the 60's comics

Im feeling a bit alone on this issue

Old 07-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #37
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
I need more lovers of the 60's comics

Im feeling a bit alone on this issue
I love all those old comics. Villains like Grotesk, Locust, Lorelei, Living Monolith, and so on, plus I'm a big fan of Polaris and Scarlet Witch.

But putting them in a film just because they were around then could seem very forced.

If the X-Men franchise was a live-action TV show, we'd stand a greater chance of such characters appearing but a franchise of a few two-hour movies has a lot less scope and has to tell its story in broad strokes.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #38
Angamb
Banned User

but dont u think Matthew's crew can pull it off?

not the maximoff brothers, but Polaris

everything could look forced with a bad writter/director..... but the question is: could Matthew do it?

Old 07-03-2012, 07:49 AM   #39
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
but dont u think Matthew's crew can pull it off?

not the maximoff brothers, but Polaris

everything could look forced with a bad writter/director..... but the question is: could Matthew do it?
Anything can work with a good writer/director.

If Polaris is given good reason to be in the film, then it could work. I'd also envisage making her powers a bit different. Maybe she can do the things that Magneto can also do in the comics but doesn't do in the films.

In the comics, she can alter her perceptions so she sees the world as electromagnetic energy patterns, and she can sense the very slight natural electromagnetism of living beings (rather like sharks do with their prey!). She could also be shown creating more visible force field bubbles/spheres/domes and projecting visible energy blasts or perhaps electromagnetic pulse. Maybe she brings together her hands like two electrical/magnetic poles and the contact creates an EMP that disables electronic equipment.

Whereas movie Magneto's powers are restricted to ferrous metals, her powers could be broader than metal but not as strong as Magneto overall.

Also her green hair could be scientifically explained. Green is the colour of copper compounds. Polaris's powers could be generated by excess copper in her body making her a conductor and a generator of electromagnetic fields.

There are ways of doing it. Whether that would work in a two-hour movie is another matter.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #40
The Strategos
Side-Kick

Do you know I am so sick of Scott and Jean. JEAN!!! Yeah, I get it, all very tragic. Certainly in the films it was like watching a piece of toast stopping two jams from mixing it up! I mean, how often have we had this whole story, not just in film but in comic? I can't take it anymore. Here's an idea - how about Apocolypse! Charles and Erik go their sepperate way and face off agaisnt each other - sya opeiong seen is a mild battle between the X-Men and Brotherhood. But then comes Apocolypse and he tries to change all reality, forcing magneto and xavier to work together. To be totally radical, how about Havoc introduces his just-legal-for-sex brother Scott (it's strange, in the UK the age of consent is 16!) and Emma Frost could find her loyalties and morals challenged by the fresh-faced idealist. Just pick someone sexy for Scott this time. I mean, as a dude I know that I'm perhaps not best placed to judge but seriously, are there any girls or gay dudes who found Scott atractive in the original X-Men trilogy? Would Zac Effron work - he's manned up a lot since High School Musical? Anyway, xavier would then be thrown back in with mystice and he could really struggle to cope with her rejection from the last film and might get quite nasty, which would strain relations between him and beast.
Anyway, whatever it is, I really don't want scott and jean, if for no other reason than that crazy jean hijacks the plot by necessity and normal, non pheonix Jean is wallpaper.

The Strategos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #41
MilkmanDan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Strategos View Post
Do you know I am so sick of Scott and Jean. JEAN!!! Yeah, I get it, all very tragic. Certainly in the films it was like watching a piece of toast stopping two jams from mixing it up! I mean, how often have we had this whole story, not just in film but in comic?
Then again they had very little interaction in the movies and their relationship was shown in a very stable and boring light making the audience root for Wolverine as the sexy, exciting rival for Jean's affections. I think it might be interesting to see if a movie where young, shy Scott tries to win Jean's heart could make the audience feel differently about this pairing.

Quote:
Just pick someone sexy for Scott this time. I mean, as a dude I know that I'm perhaps not best placed to judge but seriously, are there any girls or gay dudes who found Scott atractive in the original X-Men trilogy? Would Zac Effron work - he's manned up a lot since High School Musical?
I'm sure James Marsden has plenty of female admirers. He just suffered from the unfair comparison to the overwhelming sex-appeal of Hugh Jackman's Wolverine. As for Zac Effron... I think he might come with too much baggage. He seems like one of those pretty boy actors that are popular with young girls but are disliked by boys and men.

MilkmanDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #42
The Strategos
Side-Kick

True about Effron. And maybe what you suggest could work but it would be nice to see the movies do what first class did and try something different!

Old 07-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #43
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Russell Crowe - Cable
Idris Elba - Bishop
Emily Vancamp - Polaris
Lee Byung Hun - Sunfire
Leonardo DiCaprio - Mr. Sinister

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #44
The Strategos
Side-Kick

I don't think Russel Crowe would work well with Cable. From what I saw in Messiah Complex and Second Coming, there is a small warmth in Cable and Crowe can only do very serious, no smiles at all. Same problem if you tried to put Daniel Criag in the role, though I think he might be better. What about Viggo Mortensen?

Old 07-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #45
def28
Side-Kick

Cable=Stephen Lang

Old 07-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #46
The Strategos
Side-Kick

Yes. Yes, yes, yes, YES!!! Brilliant def28 !

Old 07-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #47
def28
Side-Kick

Cant take full credit for that one haha. Him and Michael Biehn have been the two fan choices Ive seen mentioned round the net for quite some time. He even said he was down for the role if offered.
Cant get a closer Cable then that guy imo.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #48
The Strategos
Side-Kick

I think he should be, though of course he can't be because we haven't even had Scott yet never mind his son. Still, with X4 and 5 potentially in the future...

Old 07-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #49
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Strategos View Post
I think he should be, though of course he can't be because we haven't even had Scott yet never mind his son. Still, with X4 and 5 potentially in the future...
I think DOFP can open the door to almost every X Men character. Which is pretty cool, normally mentioning characters who have time travel or Alt timeline origins wouldnt have a chance of getting in. I hope they surprise us and throw in a few wild cards. Really stoked for casting announcements.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #50
The Strategos
Side-Kick

Indeed but if they do do DOFP I bet it won't be set in the far distant future !