The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

View Poll Results: Who was the Better Batman?
Ben Affleck 154 62.60%
Christian Bale 92 37.40%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-25-2016, 06:53 PM   #1
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Default Ben Affleck or Christian Bale?

Did Ben surpass Bale for you? If so, why?

Old 03-25-2016, 07:01 PM   #2
Boom
I got nothin'

Default Re: Ben Affleck or Christian Bale?

I think Bale captured the playboy side of Bruce Wayne more effectively. That sort of well-intentioned but oblivious rich boy. Affleck's Bruce had a bit more swagger, but there weren't many opportunities for him to have some real fun with that particular role. I liked Bale's public side of Bruce Wayne because it gave Bale a chance to show that the character is capable of some levity.

I'm on the record of not caring much for Bale's Batman. Putting aside the atrocious suit and goofy voice, I didn't like how his Batman was intended to be a finite concept, and how he was willing to give it up for a woman. While Affleck's Batman also had the burden of an awful voice, his suit was superb, and I really liked seeing a Batman that had been at it for 20 years with no clear desire or intention to stop. I know the killings rub some people the wrong way, but I honestly didn't see anything worse than what Bale's Batman did. Maybe that's my own perception.

I won't say Affleck's is definitive (nobody's really claimed that title for me yet), but I'd easily put him up there with Keaton.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:06 PM   #3
Mr. Forest
Side-Kick

I feel Affleck brought Batman to life better than Bale did, but both of their performances were great.

Mr. Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:36 PM   #4
Mr. Wayne
Grim Vigilante

Nothing against Bale at all, he saved the character in some ways but Affleck was perfect to me. I felt like I was watching my favorite versions come to life. It's funny, I always felt Bale was let down a bit by the choreography and the suit and whoever let him do that voice but blessed with a really great director. I think Affleck was let down by the director but blessed with first of all looking the part to the T but also some really good choreography and costume work. To me though Affleck just feels like the Batman I love whereas Bale always felt like he was 1 step removed for the sake of realism. I can't wait to see him in SS and his solo. I think he'll truly own the role after that. Also did anyone else notice in the little training montage that he was pretty slim compared to the suit? I know of course that the shirtless scenes are scheduled so the actor can lean out with that day as a goal and be less strict for the rest of the production but he looked like he was basically a little bigger than in the town with similar definition. I think the suit(which I loved) could have been slimmer. I guess its just an extension of the DKR homage.

Mr. Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:39 PM   #5
hafizbat
Wild Cherry

No question here. Bale was Bruce Wayne. Affleck was Thomas Wayne.

hafizbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:42 PM   #6
regnak
Side-Kick

Batfleck for me.

regnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:54 PM   #7
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Christian Bale without question. He has a sense of nobility, integrity, and honor to his portrayal (and not just in the writing) that is missing in this version. Beyond killing, Affleck's just seems bitter and broken. Bale, even at his lowest points, maintained his own virtue, heroism and idealism about what is best for his city. Plus Bale has a better sense of naturalism and inner-life than Affleck does as an actor. Bale also captured the character's sense of levity better.

With that said, Affleck is going to DOMINATE this poll the weekend of BvS's release. Ask again in a year or even six months, and it will be much, much closer, I think.

--John Adams

Last edited by DACrowe; 03-25-2016 at 07:59 PM.
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:57 PM   #8
bbasher
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
Jeffrey Dean Morgan was Thomas Wayne.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:00 PM   #9
Chip Chipperson
Visionary Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbasher View Post
Jeffrey Dean Morgan was Thomas Wayne.
lol

Chip Chipperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:01 PM   #10
LEVITIKUZ
Banned User

Ben had the better suit
Ben had the better voice
Ben had the better car
Ben had a real Batcave
Ben had the better built
Ben had the better fighting style

But Ben's Batman killed, used guns, and is a ****ing moron

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
So Lex and Lois finds out Clark Kent is Superman and has a mother BUT THE WORLD'S GREATEST DETECTIVE WHO WANTS TO KICK SUPERMAN'S ASS COULDN'T FIND THAT OUT HIS IDENTITY OR THAT HE HAS A MOTHER?????

Bale is Batman

Last edited by LEVITIKUZ; 03-25-2016 at 08:07 PM.
LEVITIKUZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:05 PM   #11
InJustice
Side-Kick

Without a question, Bale is still the Batman standard.

InJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:06 PM   #12
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Ask me after Justice League. Where he'll be playing a slightly different Batman by then.

Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:07 PM   #13
Dispatch Ninja
Side-Kick

Affleck, Keaton, then Bale.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:09 PM   #14
Tony Gunk
Clown Prince of Crime

1. Affleck
2. Keaton
3. Bale

Tony Gunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:10 PM   #15
RadioSha
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Affleck's Batman would be Bale's Batman if the Dent Act didn't work.

RadioSha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:11 PM   #16
Doctor Octopus
Banned User

Christian Bale is best Batman of all movie Batmen.

Doctor Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:14 PM   #17
Zur-en-Arrh
Untitled

affleck was as good as advertised. i wanted to see more of the wayne, bruce wayne persona and i'm sure we will in his solo. loved his interplay with gadot, but again, wished it was more fleshed out.

Zur-en-Arrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:18 PM   #18
Decepticonus
Banned User

Honestly, either works for me depending on what story you are trying to tell and its context. I mean is Keaton better than West? Yes, no, maybe. But better at what? I would argue West felt more heroic, but Keaton was darker, edgier. And again what about the context? Could you rip Affleck from this and place in Batman Begins? Doubtful. Or place Bale in the '66 show, haha, god no! Something about Bale's seem more humane, provided some levity and yeah I suppose gave off a better Bruce Wayne. Affleck was pissed off, which I love and can really identify with. In time, I'm sure I will watch Affleck more and more, but I still come back to other renditions, it just depends what kind of mood I am in. Maybe I'm in the mood for pure silver age fun, then I'm watching some Brave and The Bold. Or perhaps I want something more pulpy and akin to the Golden Age, look out Keaton here we come. It is easy for me to say yes Affleck for now cause it's hot and new. But it's not like he put Bale to shame, and part of me still wants to watch those. Personally, I have been wanting to watch The Dark Knight Rises lately and Batman Begins. Affleck is more of a Miller Batman, when I love as the Miller fanboy I am same time I'm also a O'Neil fan, a Snyder fan and so forth. In the end, it is really hard for me to choose a favorite Batman in general.

Decepticonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:26 PM   #19
MyDudeSpidey
Marvel's

Ben is a great Batman and was easily the best part about BvS, but I pick Christian Bale.

Last edited by MyDudeSpidey; 03-25-2016 at 08:34 PM.
MyDudeSpidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:29 PM   #20
Mindreaper21
It's Harvest Time

Ben is the best without a doubt. Chris was great in Begins, but then dropped the ball, because his Batman character was looking for a way out. He became more concerned about Rachel than justice.

=Arkham=
Origins
Asylum
City
Knight
Mindreaper21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:31 PM   #21
hafizbat
Wild Cherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Christian Bale without question. He has a sense of nobility, integrity, and honor to his portrayal (and not just in the writing) that is missing in this version. Beyond killing, Affleck's just seems bitter and broken. Bale, even at his lowest points, maintained his own virtue, heroism and idealism about what is best for his city. Plus Bale has a better sense of naturalism and inner-life than Affleck does as an actor. Bale also captured the character's sense of levity better.

With that said, Affleck is going to DOMINATE this poll the weekend of BvS's release. Ask again in a year or even six months, and it will be much, much closer, I think.
Beautiful post. I'd add his selflessness and asceticism to the list. You really got the sense that this man would do ANYTHING for the people of Gotham.

And yeah, this poll is obviously going to be dominated by Affleck. Once the shiny new toy effect wears off, this will be a better measure.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:32 PM   #22
Jekecy
Side-Kick

If we're only looking at first appearances, Bale by a slight edge. Taking into account the TDK trilogy, Affleck by a mile.

Jekecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:33 PM   #23
TheScarecrow
Side-Kick

Bale, but for no reason that was within Batflecks control. He did a great job and I hope we get a lot more Batfleck in the future.

TheScarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:34 PM   #24
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindreaper21 View Post
Ben is the best without a doubt. Chris was great in Begins, but then dropped the ball, because his Batman character was looking for a way out. He became more concerned about Rachel than justice.
Anyone who believes this did not pay attention to the movies.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:34 PM   #25
hafizbat
Wild Cherry

For people saying Affleck is the definitive Batman, can I ask why exactly?

I'm wondering how much of it is the superficial stuff like the Batsuit and the fight scenes. Or maybe yall really do see things in Batfleck that I just don't see. Either way, I'd like to know.