The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man

Old 07-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #51
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Lizard - How does he compare with Spidey's other onscreen adversaries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Brock View Post
Blame Raimi, then, for deciding to change the characterization of Osborn.
Connors and Lizard don't have duel personalities (or didn't until 2007 when I quit reading the comics). Actually, Raimi pretty much nailed the '60s/'70s Norman Osborn. It's just most fans now only know him from when they brought him back in the '90s as a Machiavellian master-villain and not the bad father, but flawed and likable man with a split personality. The first movie nailed that.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #52
Eddie Brock
Golden Domer

Default Re: The Lizard - How does he compare with Spidey's other onscreen adversaries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Connors and Lizard don't have duel personalities (or didn't until 2007 when I quit reading the comics). Actually, Raimi pretty much nailed the '60s/'70s Norman Osborn. It's just most fans now only know him from when they brought him back in the '90s as a Machiavellian master-villain and not the bad father, but flawed and likable man with a split personality. The first movie nailed that.
Umm... not even a little bit. The Lizard has always been an alter ego from his first appearance. And Norman Osborn after his accident is insane and evil. He just gets amnesia every now and then and loses that side of him. But he's never been a split personality. If anything, Harry Osborn in SM3 was the best portrayal of 60s/70s Norman Osborn.

Eddie Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #53
DarKush
Side-Kick

Interesting question from the OP.

I thought Conners reminded me of Norman Osborn when he started flipping out, hearing voices or what not. And his relationship with Peter reminded me of Otto Octavius.

I thought the actor playing Conners was fine. The Lizard design worked well enough. And the Lizard's motivation was simple. I think the film left him a bit murky in terms of how much he knew, or participated in the disappearance of Peter's parents. I also wish more had been done to flesh out his relationship with Peter before he became the Lizard.

I think the lack of having Curt's wife and son, like in the comics and cartoons, let him less of a tragic figure. I also think no mention of his veteran past also made him less tragic and possibly less sympathetic.

Overall I thought the character was about on par with Doc Ock. My favorite Spidey villain remains Green Goblin.

Rankings:
1. Green Goblin I
2. Doc Ock
3. Lizard
4. Green Goblin II
5. Sandman
6. Venom

DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #54
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajendo View Post
Strictly on entertainment value

The Lizard
Doc Ock
GG
Sandman
NG
Venom
how about on character level?

TheWallCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #55
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Quote:
Blame Raimi, then, for deciding to change the characterization of Osborn.
It's not Raimi's fault since Norman was shown though the comics having a dual personality that he'd end up not remembering being The Green Goblin in the beginning .

The Lizard just wasn't done right plain and simple both in Characterization and visually . He looked good in some scenes and in others not so much also the labcoat should've remained on.

The Caped Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #56
JerseyJoker
Side-Kick

Its not like Raimi's film was the first interpretation of Norman being split identity.

The 80's/90's cartoon both had Green Goblin like that.

The Jersey Critic (Latest Review: The Wolverine!)

Visit. Enjoy. Comment.
JerseyJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #57
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

The First Official (profile view) Pic Of The Lizard:

had to wait a long while for this....

Old 07-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #58
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

See the lab coat should've remained on, he looks better with it than without it.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #59
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Knight View Post
See the lab coat should've remained on, he looks better with it than without it.
def looks more like a tragic character with it on, also brings great visual deversity. There's a reason why there's no comic version without the lab coat

Old 07-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #60
JerseyJoker
Side-Kick

It makes no sense for it to stay on for a long period of time.

Visit. Enjoy. Comment.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #61
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJoker View Post
It makes no sense for it to stay on for a long period of time.
It looks better than what we got I mean their were times he looked like a creature from TMNT (2003) series

Old 07-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #62
JerseyJoker
Side-Kick

I think it looks awesome with it on him too, but just saying, how ravage the Lizard is, it wouldn't make sense for a lab coat like that to be able to stay on him.

Visit. Enjoy. Comment.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #63
BREAD WARRIOR
Side-Kick

Personally I really liked Connors... Lizard.... Not so much. Mainly because to me his eyes show too much vaunerability and I already felt for Connors and I personally thought he could've looked more menacing overall I thought he was okay.

1. Doc Ock
2. GG
3. New Goblin
4. Lizard
5. Venom
6. Sandman

BREAD WARRIOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #64
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

I haven't seen TASM yet, but it's good to see Molina's brilliant Doc Ock is still topping so many people's lists.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #65
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Yeah, the main thing they screwed up was his face and the fact that they used no practical effects for The Lizard whatsoever. If they wanted his face to appear more humanoid (as it was), they could've achieved a practical make-up effect in his close-up scenes with dialogue. That would've been much more effective than the completely cartoonish lizard we got during the whole film.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #66
JerseyJoker
Side-Kick

A practical Lizard would looked horrible. I'm sorry, but there is no getting around a guy in a lizard suit type deal.

They went for more of a first appearance look with lizard and im good with it.

Visit. Enjoy. Comment.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #67
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJoker View Post
A practical Lizard would looked horrible. I'm sorry, but there is no getting around a guy in a lizard suit type deal.

They went for more of a first appearance look with lizard and im good with it.
In small doses, it could've worked. I'm even think of things like when the Lizard rips through Ratha's car. Why not craft a real/animatronic arm to punch through and reach for him? Instead, we got a crappy cartoonish claw punching through.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #68
Smegger56
The Smegginator

I think, overall, the Connors/The Lizard.

BUT, if Doc Ock was just bad and not portrayed as a family man/good guy gone mental, I would have gone with Ock.

When Ock is bad though, he tops it. Molina was just superb in as bad ock... 'Oops, butter fingers'

Smegger56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #69
chaseter
Bland User

Ock Ock baby.

chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #70
Ajendo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWallCrawler View Post
how about on character level?
Doc Ock
GG
The lizard
NG
Sandman
Venom

Tyrion: I wish to confess...
Ajendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:24 PM   #71
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Umm... not even a little bit. The Lizard has always been an alter ego from his first appearance. And Norman Osborn after his accident is insane and evil. He just gets amnesia every now and then and loses that side of him. But he's never been a split personality. If anything, Harry Osborn in SM3 was the best portrayal of 60s/70s Norman Osborn.
What are you talking about? Norman Osborn and Green Goblin in the '60s and '70s are split characters and not until near GG's death did he realize he was Norman Osborn. Even then, his two personalities would struggle for dominance like SM1.

The Lizard is an entirely separate personality from Curt Connors and is not one he is constantly having to keep buried like Norman Osborn. And once he turned into Lizard, he couldn't turn back into Connors like Osborn could or like Connors did in TASM. In fact, TASM takes a much bigger departure considering Lizard turns back into Connors who then still plans to turn everyone into lizards and plans the murder of Peter Parker when he injects himself. Nevermind the absence of Billy and Martha Connors.

SM1 did GG's personality much more faithfully than TASM did Lizard's.

--John Adams
Old 07-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #72
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Knight View Post
Yes he does. Reminds you a man's under there and can't control what he's doing. Kind of like the 1940s wolfman design. Without the coat, he looks like a generic green monster.

Then again, since they made Connors much less sympathetic than he is in the comics, maybe they did not care about the coat humanizing the character.

--John Adams
Old 07-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #73
GENERAL RAAM582
The Amazing Spider-Man

Doc Ock
Goblin, Lizard, and Sandman are pretty much even.
New Goblin
Venom

GENERAL RAAM582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #74
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
What are you talking about? Norman Osborn and Green Goblin in the '60s and '70s are split characters and not until near GG's death did he realize he was Norman Osborn. Even then, his two personalities would struggle for dominance like SM1.

The Lizard is an entirely separate personality from Curt Connors and is not one he is constantly having to keep buried like Norman Osborn. And once he turned into Lizard, he couldn't turn back into Connors like Osborn could or like Connors did in TASM. In fact, TASM takes a much bigger departure considering Lizard turns back into Connors who then still plans to turn everyone into lizards and plans the murder of Peter Parker when he injects himself. Nevermind the absence of Billy and Martha Connors.

After Connors injects himself, he's the Lizard. It's the Lizard who planned the murder of Peter parker, not Connors. Same with the "turning everyone into lizards" plan.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #75
NickerNacker
Side-Kick

Quote:

Norman and the Goblin are one and the same. After Osborn was exposed to the Goblin serum, he went insane. He did not develop a split personality. The Goblin serum removed all of Osbornís inhibitions of his civilian identity, so his villainy is a conscious choice. His bits of amnesia are what lead readers to think he has two different personalities.

NickerNacker is offline   Reply With Quote