The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite of Nolans Batfilms?
Batman Begins 54 20.00%
The Dark Knight 114 42.22%
The Dark Knight Rises 102 37.78%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2013, 08:01 AM   #1
HitMe
Side-Kick

Default NOW which film is your favourite??

OK, I've been reading through the favourite Batfilm thread and it's rife with the sentiment that if the poll had been started a few months later, we'd all see a much more considered spread of voting. I thought it'd be interesting to see whether that's true, hence this thread.

If the mods think this is extraneous just delete the thread, I don't mind. I think it is worth seeing whether all this 'prisoner of the moment' talk is true or not though.

So get voting!

HitMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Default Re: NOW which film is your favourite??

As time passes by , Rises clearly stands out as the best one.

Choosing between Begins and TDK is more difficult to me.

Tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
Victarion
Cut

Rises feels like a tighter film, and Bruce's arc resonated with me in this film moreso than Dent in TDK or Bruce in BB. Overall I like Rises best, but these films are really on equal footing for me.

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
shauner111
Side-Kick

Love all 3 but i think each got better as they went along. Rises wins for me.

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
TheFantasticJoe
Side-Kick

I know I'm in the minority here, but Batman Begins is my favorite. It felt like a personal, emotional journey, and it holds a grip on me every time I watch it. The movie also feels most like a Batman movie to me, as Gotham seems gritty and more surreal than a typical city, which it became in the following movies. I also think Christian Bale delivered his best performance in the trilogy here, the Batman voice being perfect, and Batman himself looking like a serious threat. One of the best scenes in the trilogy is the scene where he takes out the criminals on the dock, which is shown from the thugs' perspective, casting Batman in shadow, making him seem more monster than man. That's what Batman should be to me. Just my opinion though.

TheFantasticJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFantasticJoe View Post
I know I'm in the minority here, but Batman Begins is my favorite. It felt like a personal, emotional journey, and it holds a grip on me every time I watch it. The movie also feels most like a Batman movie to me, as Gotham seems gritty and more surreal than a typical city, which it became in the following movies. I also think Christian Bale delivered his best performance in the trilogy here, the Batman voice being perfect, and Batman himself looking like a serious threat. One of the best scenes in the trilogy is the scene where he takes out the criminals on the dock, which is shown from the thugs' perspective, casting Batman in shadow, making him seem more monster than man. That's what Batman should be to me. Just my opinion though.
Begins until we see Batman standing in the building is as good as we will ever see from a Batman story. Its the best hour of any superhero movie...by far. American Entertainment at its finest. Neither TDK nor Rises have such a great stretch. But after it the movie falls in the traps of typical origin stories. It's still good , but the gap to me is too big.

Tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #7
Anno_Domini
Banned User

TDKR for me still.

Batman Begins --> The Dark Knight --> The Dark Knight Rises

the trilogy only got better by film, and even if TDKR could've been longer and some scenes more expanded on, I'm not going to put that as a mark on TDKR when it did have a time limit and Nolan tried to give us all that he could in one film.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #8
kvz5
HBIC

It's still BB for me.

kvz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
Rorschach2012
$

TDK by a mile

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #10
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Batman Begins for several reasons, Bale didn't overdo the voice in this one, Batman was actually intimidating, the docks scene is the best in the entire series and the journey in the film is fantastic. Not to me toon that this is the only film in the trilogy that really geeks like a Batman film to me.

Second place is the Dark Knight, definitely the best villain in Heath Ledger's Joker, done if the most jaw dropping moments in the series but its 20 minutes too long, they should have just cut the scenes with the boats and the Two Face ending just never really sat right with me

Last place is the Dark Knight Rises, while its an awesome film and definitely the best 3rd film in any comic book series, the plot of him not been Batman for 8 years bothers the hell out if me, the lack of Batman scenes there was too much focus on other characters and the fact that Batman doesn't really get to defeat Bane bothers be (as it did in Knightfall). It also features two of the worst performances in the whole series with Matthew Modine as Foley and Marion Cottilard as Miranda Tate. Again while I like the John Blake ending I don't like that this ended a Bond like potential series.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #11
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

right now I'm high on Rises (and because of it's connection to Begins, I'm high on that as well).

but I know that ultimately TDK will be regarded as my favourite.

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #12
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

It's still Rises for me. It just ticked all the right boxes for me as a viewer.

I always found it difficult to choose between TDK and BB (still do) because they each have their strengths. I loved the personal journey and character exploration of Bruce in BB, and I felt it was a more 'Batman' film than TDK. But TDK had a much more exciting story, villain and overall sense of scope.

TDKR for me felt like the combination of the two strengths.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #13
titansupes
Side-Kick

I think TDK was the better movie, and probably my favourite...But man does TDKR come close, and sometimes surpasses it to me.

titansupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #14
Coffee
Newbie First Class

BB for me.....and TDK & TDKR are tied for second.

Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #15
Ryan
Side-Kick

For different reasons bb and tdk are my favorite bat and superoherofims of all time. Tdkr remains my biggest disappointment for a superhero film, even if it is better then most.

Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #16
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

My head says TDK, my heart says TDKR. It's a struggle. I still say TDK, but I can't be certain I'll never change my mind.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #17
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

I'll take Begins all day, every day.

redfirebird2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #18
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

The Dark Knight for me. Batman Begins second. Rises a distant third place.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #19
JackWhite
Third Man

TDK is my favorite and what I consider the best of the trilogy. I'm pretty certain it will stay that way, so it's now down to which is my second favorite BB or TDKR?

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #20
RAINMAKER
Side-Kick

I can't pick a film. However, I can pick:

Best Story: Batman Begins - I liked the journey Bruce went on before becoming batman. I liked how he was trained by the person that was behind the attacks on Gotham.

Best Villan - Pretty simple, the Joker. However, they could've made Scarecrow more bad ass and the hallucinations were weak. Bane was awesome and Liam Neesen was fantastic as Ra's Al Ghul. Two Face was'nt given enough screen time, but Aaron Eckhart made the most out out of it.

Best Action - The Dark Knight Rises.

RAINMAKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:00 PM   #21
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAINMAKER View Post
I can't pick a film. However, I can pick:

Best Story: Batman Begins - I liked the journey Bruce went on before becoming batman. I liked how he was trained by the person that was behind the attacks on Gotham.

Best Villan - Pretty simple, the Joker. However, they could've made Scarecrow more bad ass and the hallucinations were weak. Bane was awesome and Liam Neesen was fantastic as Ra's Al Ghul. Two Face was'nt given enough screen time, but Aaron Eckhart made the most out out of it.

Best Action - The Dark Knight Rises.
What about best/favorite first, second, and third act?

Hands down for me, TDK had the best third act. The one two combination of the prewitt building scene(Batman vs the swat/Jokers thugs and his final showdown with the Joker) and the confrontation with Batman/Gordon vs Two-Face is beyond mesmerizing. Not to mention that ending. TDKR could have easily had this, but some of the things cut out really took away from what would have been an extremely epic climax. Plus Talia's odd death is really off-putting. Still, it's an amazing climax and I could see how for some it would top TDK.

Best second act would probably be a tie between TDK/BB. Might give the slight edge to BB.

I really, really love the first act to TDKR. I found the first act a brilliant and near perfect setup leading up to Bane defeating Batman and his impending takeover of Gotham. Right now I'd go with TDKR first act, but on a objective level I'd give it to BB. That first hour is really something to applaud.

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:07 PM   #22
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

I found it really surprising that so many people didn't like the first 40 minutes of TDKR, finding it slow, etc.

I love it, and rewatch it endlessly.

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #23
Anno_Domini
Banned User

I really love the first 40 minutes of TDKR simply because it's a CBM that's not an origin that has this long build up before the superhero shows up.

And TDK and TDKR very close to each other. It's the same with the other poll as well.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:24 PM   #24
RAINMAKER
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
What about best/favorite first, second, and third act?
Okay, I'll play this game.

First Act: I still go with BB. I liked how Falcone took him to school and told what it takes to truly survive. And then Bruce goes on his journey.

Second Act: TDK. The Joker doing his thing was great to watch.

Third Act: BB. I really like how Bruce's ideals back fire on him. Ra's lectures him saying he told Bruce not to show compassion to his enemies. Then Ra's explains their previous attack on Gotham.

It sounds like I'm leaning towards BB, but I'm not. For the most part, BB lacked a true villan and some of the characters were boring.

RAINMAKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:25 PM   #25
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I too find myself very drawn in by the first act of TDKR. It has a somberness and longing to it that felt very appropriate given how TDK ended.

It's tough for me to choose between BB and TDKR's first act. BB's first act is pretty much flawless to me. The only thing I can think of as a "negative" is in hindsight, how amazing would stuff like the scenic mountain shots and the ice sword fight have looked in IMAX?

They really just stepped up their game with both sequels in terms of bringing that larger than life quality.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote