The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Old 06-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #526
Nathan

Default Re: Activision and High Moon announcing Deadpool project at SDCC

Reviews are out.

Quote:
IGN 6/10

Behind Deadpoolís demented humor, creative script, and brilliant sight gags is a fairly conventional, generic action game. Itís not bad, but itís not particularly good, either Ė and without oodles of hidden secrets or unlockables to discover, thereís really no reason to replay it once youíve finished. Developer High Moon gets the character and brings the funny, but none of the action finesse that would make Deadpool stand out. If youíre a fan of boob jokes and dumb, repetitive, yet mildly fun gameplay, then Deadpool will offer you a weekendís worth of silliness.
Source

Quote:
joystiq 3/5

That's when Deadpool tears itself apart, only to come back to life for a few more gags. Better to take it as an unvarnished comedy, then, because Deadpool self-destructs when you read so deeply (and madly?) to see satire. That's okay, bearing in mind there are better games in which you slice people up for points, and that everything Deadpool the man revels in Ė the bullets, the blood and the babes Ė are sincerely sought and embarrassingly commonplace in the marketplace to begin with.

I love stupid action games, but stupid isn't special. Maybe one day it will be.
Source

Quote:
CVG 5/10

It's hard to recommend Deadpool to anyone but the staunchest of fans, and even then it would be with list of caveats. Though the depiction of the Deadpool is probably the best we've seen outside of the comics, and there are a few laughs here and there, as a full price game Deadpool simply doesn't offer enough to justify its pricetag. And the gameplay that does have is of extremely dubious quality.

Cheap laughs and the occasional thrill isn't enough to redeem the half-assed gameplay.
Source

Quote:
Eurogamer 6/10

Fans of the character will be pleased with how well his off-the-wall mannerisms have been realised in game form, and there's enough inspired wackiness to make your first play-through worthwhile, but the same lack of nuance and depth that makes Deadpool such enjoyable company also means that his game is a joke not worth hearing twice.
Source

Quote:
Videogamer 5/10

Deadpool is a great character wrapped in a standard (and short) action experience. It can be fun in quick bursts, but the lack of a real challenge until the very end means it tires quickly. The inclusion of a wave-based challenge mode adds some replay value, but itís a very limited add-on that fails to intrigue. By sticking to a generic formula, it undermines the way Deadpool literally tears up the script.
Source

Quote:
EGM Now 8/10

If youíre a fan of Deadpool, youíll certainly appreciate the experience, but if youíre really unfamiliar with the character (even though I donít know how thatís possible at this point), you might be a bit wary of having this game be your first experience with Wade Wilson (Oh, no! I revealed his secret identity! Spoilers!).

Youíll be fighting the camera sometimes as much as enemies, and the balance between guns and melee needs a bit more work, but most of the time, I was laughing too hard to care. The script is a love letter to Deadpool fans, so if you love the Merc with the Mouth, this game will hit your chimichanga-flavored sweet spot.
Source

Quote:
Polygon 7/10

The early-game blow-up doll left me with low expectations for Deadpool. But High Moon surprised me with competent action and better-than average storytelling, and even Deadpool himself grew on me, despite his dumber-than-dirt antics. Amidst some aggravating glitches, sometimes-repetitive mechanics and an unwelcome late-game difficulty spike, the game isn't really superhero material. But like it's protagonist, Deadpool is faithful to itself, which counts for a lot.
Source

Quote:
Gamesbeat 83/100

This is pretty much everything you could want from a Deadpool game. Itís funny, violent, and fast-paced. The campaign, while a bit short, is wonderfully consistent. I canít really think of any particularly dull moments, and High Moon knows when to mix things up with some clever quirks, like suddenly turning everything into a 2D sidescroller.

Deadpool wonít win any awards for innovation, and it wonít really stick with you, but youíll have a hard time not enjoying its self-aware humor and action. Fans of Deadpool the character will have a great time with Deadpool the game. As far as super hero games go, this is definitely one of the better ones.
Source

Quote:
OXM Online 8/10

Donít expect to finish the whole thing twice, though. Oddly, the difficulty spikes awkwardly during the last hour or so, when youíll suddenly find yourself beset by ranged gunmen capable of reducing you to shredded cold-cuts much too quickly. Then youíll face a patently ludicrous and seemingly endless parade of creeps thatíll do more to grind down your patience than entertain you.

The goofy ending shenanigans are worth the trouble, of course, but itís always a shame to see a runner stumble just before the finish line. Luckily, the rest of Deadpool is so light on its feet and so steadfastly amusing that youíre bound to remember all of the pleasure and none of the pain.
Source

Quote:
OXM UK 6/10

A bigger problem with the game is that though it constantly refers to you as 'the player,' you're left with absolutely no doubt in your mind that High Moon assumes that that player is male. Whilst this is undoubtedly the game's target demographic - and that's fine - I do wonder whether it absolutely has to allude to this on quite so many occasions, to the detriment of anyone else who might be playing. Was there really no way at all to have Deadpool make jokes at the player's expense without assuming their gender or orientation? If you're female, you may put down the controller and come away from Deadpool with the distinct impression that the game just wasn't meant for you. I wouldn't ask to be expressly included, High Moon - I'm just asking not to be explicitly excluded.

Ultimately, in being unashamed, obnoxious, immature and insane, Deadpool is Deadpool alright - for better and for worse. So how did you score?
Source

Old 06-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #527
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

Put all of the reviews together in a blender and you get a 6.5/10
Not a shocker tbh, but I was hoping for a 7-7.5

Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #528
Nathan

I'll skip this or wait till it hits the bargain bin. I think I could have forgiven it for some of its mistakes, if it at least looked fun to play. They should have really just ripped off Devil May Cry's gameplay. Or maybe even Sleeping Dogs. That game does fighting, shooting and jumping over obstacles really well.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #529
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

I think it might be fun enough for what it is, even if only for a while

Old 06-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #530
Drz
Real Hero

Gameinformer reviews the Deadpool game with a 6/10 score.

Quote:
Spending a significant amount of time with Deadpool is one of the biggest challenges. Sure, he spits out legitimately funny lines occasionally, but heís always talking and complaining and saying ridiculous things, much like an annoying grocery-store clerk who wants to talk about every item you are purchasing. I turned the game off twice because I needed a break from Deadpoolís mouth.

The repetition in moves collides unceremoniously with repetition in enemy types. Deadpool is opposed by waves upon waves of clones. When new enemies are introduced as the game unfolds, many are enhanced versions of the same types, wielding a shield or a new power. Flying enemies are nuisances not just from their ability to rain blasts upon Deadpool when heís engaged in melee, but because of the shoddy targeting and lock-on systems he uses to take them down.

The gameplay cocktail High Moon forged falls apart more and more with each passing level. What starts as a game where Deadpool and his hundred-plus hit combos command the battlefield eventually becomes a war of desperation, where button mashing and hasty retreats are commonplace. The final boss battle is maddeningly unfair. The big bad can down Deadpool quickly, even if he has his combos working for him.

When I finished this game, I walked away unfulfilled. After a weekend away from it, I found myself chuckling over the crazy things Deadpool said and did. His obsession with Wolverine is particularly funny. The memories I took away from the game were worth the time I put in, even if playing it was a chore. I wouldnít say it falls into the ďitís so bad, itís goodĒ camp, but like a cheesy Nic Cage movie, it sometimes hits the right comedic notes, but it just doesnít hit them enough.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #531
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

Won't expect anything beside playing the game on mute

Old 06-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #532
Soapy
It's happening again...

Quick Look: Deadpool

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #533
Nathan

Deadpool: The Kotaku Review

Old 06-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #534
jacobed
Banned User

This game is pretty below average so far. The combat is repetitive and not fun at all. The gun play is just too easy to take down foes, they don't mix them up as much as they should. Deadpool should play like Devil May Cry where the swords and guns are together in combos. I'm not finding it funny at all, most of the time its Duke Nukem esque in its cringe worthy attempt at humor. Its just boring plain and simple. its a 4/10

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #535
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

The Kotaku review is amazing

Old 06-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #536
BlackFox
Burn baby burn!

THought this would get around these sort of scores. Average but nothing amazing.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #537
Havok83
Side-Kick

This game is $50 in retail and $60 on SEN. Makes NO sense

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #538
zenith16
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
So to go along with this

Test Chamber – Deadpool

test chamber
on Jun 25, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Prepare for this afternoon's live stream with the first 27 minutes of the hero's antics.
... More

and they're doing a

• Live Stream – Deadpool

live stream
    on Jun 25, 2013 at 11:57 AM

We'll be taking control of the merc with a mouth starting at 4pm Central. Come watch and join the chat!
    ... More

source: GI

zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #539
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

Maybe Oscorp wasn't wrong not being pleased by this one?

Old 06-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #540
Nathan

I'll just play MUA2 with Deadpool, Wolverine, Cable and Psylocke.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #541
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

Too bad MUA2 is non-existent for PC
I will get Deadpool the game and give it a try, it's not like I will pay $40 for it or something

Old 06-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #542
Nathan

Another review from Revision3 TV.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #543
socool
True

SO...pretty much what I expected. It's an average, whatever, not-so-special, action game.

Called. It.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #544
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

I played the first two levels and its EXACTLY as advertised.

Its juvenile, crude, offensive, tacky and HILARIOUS. Iv laughed out loud quite a few times. Nolan North really had a lot of fun with this one, its just as over the top as you can possibly get. Its not a serious game and it knows it, or well DeadPool knows it.

The combat is pretty damn generic though, not nearly as fun as say DmC, another game in which sword and gunplay are mixed together.

But its DeadPool through and through. Although if you dont like this version of DeadPool, pass, because they lay it on THICK, but i wouldnt have it any other way.

I can deff see why the reviews are all over the place, its a pretty generic title overall but depending on your type of humor, it can drive that score up or down.

Last edited by ProjectPat2280; 06-25-2013 at 05:25 PM.
ProjectPat2280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #545
KevanG
Brony

Checked the price on amazon.ca and got a message

This item will be released on December 31, 2013.

They may want to update that.

It's like the Fallout NV description on gamefaqs.

Published by Bethesda Softworks, Fallout: New Vegas is currently under development at Obsidian Entertainment and is slated for a Fall 2010 release.

#saveWontkinsMom

Last edited by KevanG; 06-25-2013 at 06:14 PM.
KevanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #546
Pepsiguy2
Snyder Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
This game is $50 in retail and $60 on SEN. Makes NO sense
I asked the ACtivision Community Manager about this. Their MSRP is 50$, but it's not a Legal price. The 'S' is MSRP means hope "suggested" so Sony can put any price they want on there.

Pepsiguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:54 PM   #547
Shockdingo
Cap America luvin' Canuck

When I first heard about this game, I was ecstatic, then when I heard Way was on the writing staff, my ludicrous bias set in and left me concerned. Overall, it looks funny, and I at least want to give it a shot for a bit, but I saw the final boss battles and ending and was disappointed. It looked a bit too simple and ouch. Finishing a game in 6 hours is not a good thing for me. :/

Here's hoping that if there's a sequel it follows up on this version's short comings and it focuses a bit more on the current version with Guggen and Posehn.

Shockdingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #548
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Might just rent this one. I was hoping for something that might have gotten a better reception, but I expect I'll enjoy the story. If this game wasn't so close to the recent release of The Last of Us I would have probably just bought it anyway, but money is tight and I'm not thrilled with the reviews either, so I think I'll just rent and blast through it.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #549
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
Might just rent this one. I was hoping for something that might have gotten a better reception, but I expect I'll enjoy the story. If this game wasn't so close to the recent release of The Last of Us I would have probably just bought it anyway, but money is tight and I'm not thrilled with the reviews either, so I think I'll just rent and blast through it.
Thats what id suggest doing. If you are a fan of Pool deff go through it, but i dont see the replay value being all that high.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:55 PM   #550
LuisTX85
Z

Good thing I added this game on my Gamefly que than buying it as originally planned

LuisTX85 is offline   Reply With Quote