The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 12-06-2012, 11:06 PM   #276
Havok83
Side-Kick

Default Re: Uncanny Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
Probably because of the cheating. I'm not really sure why more people didn't hate Cyclops because of that, though.
they did. Cyclops took quite a hit in popularity which he didnt start to regain until recently

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:10 PM   #277
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Oh, well, that's good then. Although it is a shame that their answer to making Cyclops less of a douchebag in the bedroom was to make him more of a douchebag to the entire world.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #278
Panthro
Catman Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Ones View Post
I never understood why liking one meant you had to hate the other.
It's just how fandom is. Why do some fans feel that if you like the Avengers you must hate the Dark Knight Rises and vice versa?

New 52 Flash SUCKS
Panthro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:28 PM   #279
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Because AVENGERS 4 LIIIIFFFFEEEEE!!!!!!11

Old 12-07-2012, 04:13 AM   #280
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I hate Emma just because I hate Emma. She could be dating Beast or Namor and I'd still hate her. I just don't like the character, never have. She was the only flaw in the Generation X line up.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #281
Lunar_Wolf
WTF face

Only 3 issues in and Cap has joined a team comprised of X-Men & Avengers, is stuck on another world and is now leading a whole new bunch of Avengers to go to a planet to stop those three new characters...comics, eh?

Lunar_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #282
Panthro
Catman Begins

^^Cap's a busy guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
I hate Emma just because I hate Emma. She could be dating Beast or Namor and I'd still hate her. I just don't like the character, never have. She was the only flaw in the Generation X line up.
I'm not a fan of her either and always had a hard time buying her as the X-Men's #1 Lady. If a bridge fell on Emma I honestly wouldn't a miss her.

Her rant at Cyclops in All New X-Men #3 was pretty funny though.

New 52 Flash SUCKS
Panthro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:17 AM   #283
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

She's the only character in my 21 years of reading that I hoped would die and never come back. I was very disappointed that Xavier died in AvX instead of her. Bad call.

To be honest, Hickman wanted Xavier for New Avengers, Cyclops would have still beat himself up over killing Emma, and I think the fans would have been more affected by it since Xavier was a 'safe' death. The wrong call was made in my opinion.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 12-08-2012, 05:01 AM   #284
Havok83
Side-Kick

Yeah I think Emma peaked as a character, or at least a hero. I think AvX was the perfect oppurtunity to write her off. Since she didnt die, I think she should have gone back to being a villian and not rejoin the Xmen. She should be done with Scott after what he did to her and of course none of the other X-men would accept her anymore. That should have led to her being like screw you all and striking out on her own and falling back into bad habits. I think this would actually feel organic and not forced. I couldnt see her going back to being a villian 10 years ago, but now? Yeah I can buy it

Old 12-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #285
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

After getting a taste of having others bow before her, yeah, I could see it. And after being an X-Man for so long I think it would have made her a much more interesting villain. With Magneto, Sebastian Shaw, Avalanche, Frenzy, Danger, and others fairly turned around, she would have been a welcomed addition back to the realm of villainy. The X-Men could use some classics back in the bad guy fold. Hopefully that's something Bendis will be building toward.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 12-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #286
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

I always thought Emma Frost was one of those characters you're meant to dislike. Can't say I've ever seen her written as something other than an Ice Queen. At best she's only seemed to me to be a good guy with questionable motives/allegiances.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:33 AM   #287
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
I always thought Emma Frost was one of those characters you're meant to dislike. Can't say I've ever seen her written as something other than an Ice Queen. At best she's only seemed to me to be a good guy with questionable motives/allegiances.
Did you read her in Gen X? She wasnt all ice queen all the time and was more likeable there

Old 12-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #288
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Actually, no. I didn't get into reading comics until a good bit later. Though I doubt that would have influenced my opinion of her that much, the stories I did read (which came later) rarely had her in any sort of sympathetic light.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #289
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Rick Remender broke sales records with Marvel Comics' "Uncanny Avengers" #1, forming a new team of Avengers, re-introducing the Red Skull as the major antagonist in the Marvel U and exploring the fate of Charles Xavier following his demise in "Avengers Vs. X-Men." Although the second installment of the Marvel NOW! launch title just dropped, he's already ramping up for the next arc. The writer was on hand in a special press conference call to discuss his plans for the Avengers/X-Men mashup team following the conclusion of his first arc -- and what's in store for Thor, Captain America, Wolverine, Havok, Rogue and the Scarlet Witch.

Call moderator and Sales and Communications Coordinator James Viscardi kicked things off by introducing Remender and editor Tom Brevoort, and noted Daniel Acuna would be coming on as interior artist.

"A lot of the foundational stuff is picking up from the 'Dark Angel Saga,'" said Remender, but noted he didn't want it to be a straight-up sequel and would include Kang's relationship to Apocalypse. "This has been a story that we've been reworking for so long now," he said. While readers don't have to have read "The Dark Angel Saga" to enjoy the next "Uncanny Avengers" arc, it will deal with the direct fallout of Archangel impregnating Pestilence. "This is something that has a magnitude and scope that I don't think anyone will anticipate."

The name of the arc was revealed as "Ragnarok Now."

The story involves Thor, but also involves Apocalypse and Remender wanted to find a way to connect "Uncanny X-Force" to the greater Marvel Universe. "You're going to see Thor and that axe that he picks up playing a huge role in 'Uncanny Avengers," he said, referencing conversations with Jason Aaron. "When you read issues 5, 6, 7, you'll have an idea. There are so many things I don't want to kill the surprise of, but you'll get an idea of how this will interconnect with the stories Jason is telling."

Remender stated he's working off a questionnaire, filled with questions you have to answer in order to help understand the characters. "You still don't discover where you're going to take the characters until you're writing them," he said. Remender said he's outlined "rock-solid" until "Uncanny Avengers" #20. "Anytime you take on a team book, the beginning is very arduous, very difficult," he said, noting that continuity can be a difficult issue. "The continuity is there, they still affect our character. Things that happened to Havok in 'Inferno' still affect the character."

"Ragnarok Now" has been in development for "close to a year" according to Remender.

One of the major shifts of "Uncanny Avengers" is the addition of Daniel Acuna as interior artist. Brevoort characterized Acuna as a "world-class talent." Acuna has been working ahead on the issues and he's doing pencils, inks and colors. "He's really been improving by leaps and bounds every year," said Brevoort. "He and Rick seem to be on the same page. Hopefully it'll make for some good stories."

Remender noted the preview pages showcase some of the "quiet moments" in the issue. "He sells the reality while still making it seem like a Marvel comic book," Remender said.

"When I'm looking at these pages, it's stylized realism," the writer said. "Acuna's got a color pallet unlike anyone else's. … He's dialed it back to the point and he's getting so good now that he's hitting that Mignola point. He doesn't have to mess around with a bunch of rendering."

Although Thor has a large role in "Ragnarok Now," Remender stated other characters would get a chance to shine as well.

"Thor has a big role in it and he's deeply, deeply involved in the inciting incident in this thing. That doesn't mean that every other character isn't as well," Remender said, noting that Wolverine especially was a big target considering his recent connection to Apocalypse. "There's also plenty of context here with the pieces that are on the board for Havok and Rogue and Scarlet Witch and Sunfire. The story is intended to shine a light on each of our cast members. I don't want to give anything away, there's some big reveals, but every single one of our heroes has someone involved in this story that gives them personal context in this fight."

The writer continued on the topic of Wolverine, saying that readers will see the fallout of his actions in "Uncanny X-Force" in issue 5 of "Uncanny Avengers."

"As far as my take on him, I don't see Wolverine as the pre-emptive killer," said Remender, and said he's hoping to make Wolverine pop the claws and use lethal force less. With the death of Daken and the death of Xavier, there will be more of "the noble samurai trying to find that path."

Brevoort confirmed it's "Acuna's book regularly" and that John Cassaday's involvement in the book in the future (in terms of interiors) is still "up in the air." Remender stated Cassaday would remain on covers.

"When you see what we put John through in 'Uncanny Avengers' #3 and #4 -- Issues #1 and #2 were a slow burn. They were character pieces. I don't know that John will ever recover from what we're making him draw in those two issues. As I was writing it, I felt sorry for him," said Remender. "If he ever recovers, he's got an open invitation to come back at some point."

Remender said Sunfire, a former horseman of Apocalypse, would have been a perfect member of "Uncanny X-Force" and the character is "damaged," especially given the past history of the character. "This story is going to address all that stuff, in a very similar way to when Archangel went out to kill Apocalypse in the first arc of X-Force … things won't go well for everyone," he said.

Brevoort stated the connection between Apocalypse and Kang works due to their shared origin space. "We'll come to see that some of the things that have happened to them over the years, there's a little more relationship between the two of them that we've seen until this point," said Brevoort.

"Uncanny Avengers" #6 will be different than the 5 previous issues -- the entire thing takes place in the past, in the 11th Century, involving an encounter a young Thor had with a young Apocalypse.

"The ghosts of X-Force will haunt Wolverine as long as I'm writing the character," said Remender, stating there are a lot of things he had planned for the character in "Uncanny X-Force" that bleed over. "Moving forward, that stuff will definitely -- I'm just trying to dance because there's so much stuff I don't want to reveal. The interconnectivity will be there for sure.

Much like "Uncanny X-Force," the first 20 issues of "Uncanny Avengers" will make up one big story, meaning Red Skull will be in the "Ragnarok Now" storyline. "When you've got Red Skull, you've got Kang and you've got Apocalypse, things are going to be really unpleasant for the squad of Avengers stuck in the middle of it," Remender said. "This is an opportunity to ramp up and shine a light on three of the very best villains in comics. The threat they're up against when you add these three together starts to become pretty insurmountable."

While there is some bleed-over from "Uncanny X-Force," Remender stated a lot of his ideas don't work when you switch out a team of heroes. "What was difficult was to take my notes on that and strip it down to the Wolverine/Sunfire of it all," he said. "What played into my desire to have Sunfire on the team was his connection to some of that stuff. … It's been reworked to be an Avengers and X-Men story and in issue #6, you'll see the lengths we go to to make sure the threats and what they're up against demand human/mutant interaction in a way we haven't seen in the past.

In terms of Evan, the young Apocalypse clone, Remender was rather tight-lipped, beyond stating that he'd been in conversation with Jason Aaron. "We know how all these pieces intersect and we know the end result. We're planning this stuff out, we're working close together to make sure that it all fits. It's so planned out that everything you read is out there for a reason."

With that, the call wrapped. "Uncanny Avengers" #6 by Rick Remender and Daniel Acuna hits in March.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=42601

Old 12-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #290
El Bastardo
Literary elitist

**** yeah.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:41 AM   #291
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

That art

Old 12-11-2012, 01:26 AM   #292
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Can we get to THAT stuff already?! Uncanny X-force didn't get amazing until the end of the first arc, so I'm expecting some good stuff to come.

Mad Ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:59 AM   #293
OutcryX
Side-Kick

oh great..so he has brought in third-tier characters, like Sunfire..to get us to love them (i already do)..and will kill them off...calling it now.

MARVEL COMICS
White-washing the X-Men one minority at a time

-Manic
OutcryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #294
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I'm totally stoked after reading that. I like Sunfire alright but the fact that Remender's using the Apocalypse portion of his past excites me.

Real curious how this all plays out. If it's anything close to the quality of his Dark Angel Saga it'll be my favorite read over he next two years.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 12-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #295
OutcryX
Side-Kick

eh..then why not bring in Gamibt and Polaris too? Why not make it more impactful on Wolverine? He was another Death incarnation. Wasn't Hulk War at somepoint? bring in the entire Horseman family...

MARVEL COMICS
White-washing the X-Men one minority at a time

-Manic

Last edited by OutcryX; 12-11-2012 at 10:48 AM.
OutcryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #296
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I would be all for that. Wolverine, Sunfire, Gambit, Polaris. Heck, bring in Chamber and Blink, who supposedly have links to Apocalypse. I've always wanted to see a story that brings all of Apocalypse's past together into one plot.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 12-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #297
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutcryX View Post
eh..then why not bring in Gamibt and Polaris too? Why not make it more impactful on Wolverine? He was another Death incarnation. Wasn't Hulk War at somepoint? bring in the entire Horseman family...
Bc PAD has a lock on his characters. Lorna isn't going to be used in any meaningful capacity elsewhere

Old 12-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #298
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

I adore Remender's work so I'm really hoping UA ramps up in the coming issues. It's great to hear that he's got big things planned and the fact that the story has ties to UXF makes me giddy like a schoolgirl.

Balthus Dire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #299
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Looks promising. I'm a bit cautious because usually when X-characters start interacting with Asgard, writers have a tendency to s*** all over the Asgardians to make the X-characters look good. I hope that won't be the case here. Nice to see Remender touching on some of the "young Thor" stuff Aaron's doing in God of Thunder, too. Acuna's hit-or-miss for me, but his art looks excellent in those pages. I can see what Remender means about Acuna's scaling back his rendering. The balance with his color art seems to have improved for it.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #300
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Granted, Acuna's art there looks like some of his better stuff but I still think they could have got more of a bigger name artist on the book. It's supposed to be the flagship NOW title after all...

runawayboulder is offline   Reply With Quote