The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 07-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #26
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Default Re: Uncanny Avengers

All he does is get his ass kicked, maybe his best bet is leading the Great Lakes Avengers.

But seriously, yeah, he should get a shot one day. He was kinda the leader back during the Nebula arc that preceded Avengers #300.

If only Marvel can stop doing relaunches and changing status quo like a normal person changes underwear, then maybe they could do a story where Cap and Tony are taken out or captured then Thor has to lead some novice Avengers to kick bad guy hiney.

runawayboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #27
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Or maybe they could do an arc where Cap and Tony are like, "Hey, Thor's been kicking the asses of all and sundry for like a hundred times as long as we've been alive. Let's let him lead for a while and see what happens."

Old 07-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #28
El Bastardo
Literary elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
Or maybe they could do an arc where Cap and Tony are like, "Hey, Thor's been kicking the asses of all and sundry for like a hundred times as long as we've been alive. Let's let him lead for a while and see what happens."
And then they put Matt Fraction on the title for that arc.

El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #29
Franklin Richards
Banned User

Why would you ask Captain America to bench press 75 tons when Thor is standing right next to him? By the same token, why the hell would anyone lead when Captain America is standing right next to you?

Franklin Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #30
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

I don't know, but it happens often enough. Remember when Wasp got elected leader with Cap's blessing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
And then they put Matt Fraction on the title for that arc.
I hate you.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #31
Franklin Richards
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
I don't know, but it happens often enough. Remember when Wasp got elected leader with Cap's blessing?

I hate you.

That's because she was a woman. Duh.

Franklin Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #32
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Racist.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:18 AM   #33
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Matt Fraction isn't bad I thought Civil War was good...apart from his bad charactisastion...most notebly with Iron Man...

Old 07-09-2012, 03:02 AM   #34
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Torn here. I like Remender, although his quality does diminish vastly when he's forced to go through a crossover storyline (something that effects many writers, but some worse than others). Ideally I like Cassaday's artwork, but the notion of him being a timely monthly artist for more than 2-3 issues at best is laughable. It took him roughly 4 years to draw 25 issues of AXM. The delays on PLANETARY are also legendary. We may be lucky if he's the regular artist on this book as long as Terry Dodson was on DEFENDERS (who drew about 4 of the first 7 issues). I am curious who his guest artist will be, who will thus take over.

The line-up? Well, I am marveled by Havok's ability to wear the ugliest costumes ever. He's had many suits since the 60's and virtually all of them are horrible. His best two were the one he wore for MUTANT X and the get-up he had briefly at the end of WAR OF KINGS, both of which he ditched quickly for more onion rings or tiaras. Perhaps it is a secondary mutation inherited from having a space pirate father who wore a yellow sash with red and black leotards. The roster is essentially 3 Avengers from the 60's era teamed with three X-Men from the 80's era.

Personality wise, Wolverine is actually supposed to be close to Rogue and Havok, and vice versa to a degree. Meanwhile, in theory everyone is supposed to be wary of Scarlet Witch, but I think that's changed off panel. The inclusion of the film costumes is also looking very forced.

If Peter David's X-FACTOR is still in publication, Havok will thus be on two books. Damn, characters never stay put anymore.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:24 AM   #35
chris moore
Side-Kick

I love the idea of finally having some cross-purpose among the two major teams. There was never any reason not to have them work together more officially. I mean, how positive was it for a) mutant/human relations when Quicksilver and Wanda joined the Avengers, and b) for them personally being associated with heroes when they were former villains.

The line-up: Pretty good actually. A great mix of power sets and personalities. You've got energy projection, fighting ability, strength, flight, leadership, and experience. If they're missing anything it's a telepath or TK (though I imagine that's something Rogue can take care of when needs be).

Costumes however? Bad for 4 out of 6. Did Havok actually lose control of his powers or something? Cos the terrible mask was only ever for that purpose and we know damn well his latest suit is the best looking one in decades. And why does Cap suddenly have kneepads? I know they changed Clint's suit to identify more with the movie so people would know who he was when they started reading comics after having seen the film, but Cap doesn't need that kind of change to know who he is. Same goes for Thor. His chainmail suit was the best for god knows how long (and even the classic was pretty good despite the pants over trousers element).

Wolverine and Wanda however, just fine.

chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #36
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
Matt Fraction isn't bad I thought Civil War was good...apart from his bad charactisastion...most notebly with Iron Man...
Fraction wrote Fear Itself, not Civil War
The only good thing he's done was apparently Invincible Iron Man (which I havent read), everything else he does is rife with poor characterization.

And agreed on all the new costumes, they look pretty terrible.
However, Jerome Opena apparently designed them, so I'd love to see his take on them.
But yeah, I think It's funny that Wolvie's costume was considered too iconic to change any further, but Cap and Thor? Yeah f*** it, change em...

BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #37
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Fraction handled the writing load on Immortal Iron Fist and that was fantastic. I hear he did a good job on the Order as well but I never read it. At least, I think that was Fraction.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #38
Belvedere
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
Fraction handled the writing load on Immortal Iron Fist and that was fantastic. I hear he did a good job on the Order as well but I never read it. At least, I think that was Fraction.
I always thought Bru took the lions share of the writing on IIF? But, given how the quality of his books drop off when he's on more than one, I guess I could believe otherwise.

Yeah, The Order was pretty good for a book that was always destined to die. It's a shame some of the characters he created for it haven't been used since.

Belvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #39
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Some have but I don't recall where. I know they showed up in the Initiative in small cameos during Secret Invasion and I think one or two of them showed up in Iron Man at some point.

And if I'm not mistaken Brubaker admitted that most of Immortal Iron Fist was Fraction's. He was mostly just the better known writer on the cover to sell books.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 07-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #40
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
It blows my mind that the same guy who got me into Iron Fist wrote such horrible Thor and Iron Man stories.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #41
BoredGuy
Killing Time

^And X-Men stories. Don't forget those.

BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #42
venom892
Got Lucky

I loved IIF.I was excited for Fraction's Iron Man, but it got boring after a while and I sold them all.I never tried his Thor and Uncanny under his pen wasn't much better than his Iron Man.

Vote for your favorites in The Battle of the Comic Book Films Tournament! here!
venom892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #43
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

I seem to have blocked his Uncanny run form my memory. Don't remember it at all.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:36 AM   #44
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Did Fraction write Phoenix End Song, because that was stunning As was Greg Land's art work in it, which is now some what repetitive...

Hawkingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:15 AM   #45
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

No, that was Greg Pak.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 07-10-2012, 06:23 AM   #46
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom892 View Post
Rouge looks terrible there.I'm interested but hope Cassaday can keep up with the schedule.
Can we please stop calling her "Rouge"? It's been almost thirty years now.

Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:38 AM   #47
IFryKids
Side-Kick

Fraction's Uncanny run was completely forgettable, aside from Greg Land's filth on every page.

IFryKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:56 AM   #48
Brainiac 8
Clark Smash!

I can't be the only one excited that Havok is being put back into a leadership role, can I?

Maybe they'll finally do something great with him since he was robbed of his victory in War of Kings.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #49
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

^Not at all. He's one of my fav X-Men.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #50
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
No, that was Greg Pak.
Ah yes! What stuff has he done recently in X-Men? Did he do Planet Hulk?