The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 07-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #51
runawayboulder
Feels like dancing

Default Re: Uncanny Avengers

Nothing really. His most recent work was a Silver Surfer mini last year (that was actually pretty good) and the Alpha Flight limited to ongoing back to limited series.

runawayboulder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #52
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

He DID do Planet Hulk. Then he followed that up with World War Hulk and then Skaar: Son of Hulk. Then that flowed into Incredible Hulk (601 I think was when it began) through the end of his run there.

Yeah, the Silver Surfer mini was really good also.

Come to think of it I think he did do some X-Men recently but I'm blanking out on what it was. Astonishing X-Men maybe? I think he did the 2 issue X-Men Chaos War mini.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #53
venom892
Got Lucky

Isn't he writing X-treme X-men?The alternate realities X-men book?

Vote for your favorites in The Battle of the Comic Book Films Tournament! here!
venom892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #54
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Yeah actually, I think he is.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 07-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #55
DoomJester
A side-kick no longer.

I'm excited for Greg Pak's X-men work. He's writing Emma(line) Frost as one of the characters so I'll have to give it a try. I like him off and on. His work on Incredible Hercules was great. I hated World War Hulk though... Phoenix Endsong and Warsong were fun. Warsong is supposed to have repercussions on AvX, so I'm interested in seeing how that happens.

I'll have to give him a chance.

And I do think Thor should lead the Uncanny Avengers as CorpulentOne suggested. Thor would make a great leader. But I can see how Havok leading can be seen as a "peace offering" to the mutants. I really don't much about Havok but I'll give the book a chance.

DoomJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #56
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

In his first extensive interview on the subject, Rick Remender talked Uncanny Avengers in an article published Friday by Marvel.com. In the Q&A, Remender discussed the origin of the series, the individual team members and the structural similarities to Uncanny X-Force.

Remender disclosed that the team will be based out of Avengers Mansion, and called Havok — Alex Summers, brother to Cyclops — "the very best choice" for Uncanny Avengers team leader and a potential "Captain America for mutants," a move that's in part motivated by the fallout of Avengers vs. X-Men.

"He’s sunglasses and a pint of scotch and a convertible on the weekends and I think I’d like that rock and roll attitude that he’s got," Remender said of Havok. "He’s got a dry, sarcastic wit. He’s somebody who’s never been in the forefront in a big, huge public way of anything, not like his brother has, and he’s OK with that."

Havok, Scarlet Witch and Rogue will all be appearing primarily in Uncanny Avengers, meaning that Havok will be leaving the X-Factor cast. The solicitation for October's X-Factor #245 stated that the "team’s roster will be nearly halved."

Of Scarlet Witch, Remender told Marvel.com that she'll be connecting more with her mutant heritage than she has in the past, though the lingering effects of events like House of M will make it difficult for her to be as public about it as she'd like.

"She has to sit in the sidelines and sort of earn her redemption here — if that’s even possible," Remender said.

Remender said Rogue's will have ties to the Red Skull's building plot, which helps to bring her into the fold, though Thor doesn't approve of her presence. "He sees her as the exact opposite kind of mutant they need on this team."

Speaking of Thor, though a major theme of the book looks to be mutant/human relations, as an Asgardian, the God of Thunder might not quite grasp the concept.

"To him the argument between mutants and humans is akin to flies mewling and puking over the color of their wings," Remender said in the article. "So he sees this debate as just asinine. Humans or mutants, you’re all humans. You’re all just people on this planet."

As previously revealed, Red Skull is playing the role of initial primary antagonist in Uncanny Avengers, specifically a cloned duplicate with a consciousness straight out of World War II. He'll be joined by an army of augmented "S-Men," but he won't be the only villain in the series.

"Red Skull is long-term, but there are two other equally awesome villains that are also going to be popping up," Remender said. "I’m trying to do here what I did with Uncanny X-Force where you have four stories that are self-contained and can be read by themselves but also form a mega-arc when you put them together."

In the interview, Remender also discussed the work of series artist John Cassaday ("a pure storyteller and really dynamic"), the origin of the series a couple retreats ago (it was first discussed around three Marvel creative retreats ago), and the prospect of more members joining the team beyond the core six of Havok, Captain America, Wolverine, Thor, Rogue and Scarlet Witch ("d two or three more characters coming in the second and third arc").

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/rick...-avengers.html

Old 07-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #57
runawayboulder
Feels like dancing

So this Red Skull is a clone body and not a time hopping Skull like originally thought. This makes much more sense since Arnim Zola is a long time ally of the Skull and has built him several replacement bodies, even some from the DNA of Steve Rogers.

I have faith in this odd mix of characters because it's Remender and if anybody can make it work, he can. I'm still not sold on the art though. The possibility of a Thor/Rogue feud could be very, very interesting.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:02 AM   #58
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

What's Rogue done recently that would make Thor react to her that way?

Old 07-28-2012, 02:20 AM   #59
Havok83
Side-Kick

Havok in this book and leading is the main reason why Im interested. Its about time Alex got a push in the MU

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
What's Rogue done recently that would make Thor react to her that way?
She probably ends up beating him up before AvX is done

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:03 AM   #60
chris moore
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder View Post
So this Red Skull is a clone body and not a time hopping Skull like originally thought. This makes much more sense since Arnim Zola is a long time ally of the Skull and has built him several replacement bodies, even some from the DNA of Steve Rogers.
Y' know, I would have thought that having built several organic bodies for the Skull and transferred his consciousness into them (and I think having done it once for Zemo too), Zola would whip up one for himself and ditch the TV camera head getup. Or at least go for a Vision/Human Torch like body that can actually do something.

chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:55 AM   #61
runawayboulder
Feels like dancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris moore View Post
Y' know, I would have thought that having built several organic bodies for the Skull and transferred his consciousness into them (and I think having done it once for Zemo too), Zola would whip up one for himself and ditch the TV camera head getup. Or at least go for a Vision/Human Torch like body that can actually do something.
Well it's because he's a lunatic obsessed with a form of immortality. When his robot body is destroyed it automatically transfers his consciousness to another robot body. It's how he survived WWII. If he had a normal cloned body like the Skull used over the years it would never work the same. As for the design of the robot body, it looks more creepier and like something a mad scientist would have instead of more human look.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #62
moraldeficiency
Maxwell's Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
Fraction wrote Fear Itself, not Civil War
The only good thing he's done was apparently Invincible Iron Man (which I havent read), everything else he does is rife with poor characterization.

And agreed on all the new costumes, they look pretty terrible.
However, Jerome Opena apparently designed them, so I'd love to see his take on them.
But yeah, I think It's funny that Wolvie's costume was considered too iconic to change any further, but Cap and Thor? Yeah f*** it, change em...
He's done some great stuff actually:

Cassanova, IIF, the Order, best Spider-Man annual ever.

OMG, it makes sense now. Does Fox News know about this?
moraldeficiency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #63
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I don't recall the Spider-Man Annual.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 07-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #64
DoomJester
A side-kick no longer.

I thought Fraction's Iron-man was really good, I thought his Thor Ages of Thunder was amazing, and I think his run on Iron Fist was very good. The first 6 issues of Iron Fist were legendary!

I'm excited for Uncanny Avengers. A lot of Thor fans are upset at Thor's treatment recently... I sorta wanna see what happens on the message boards when Rogue steals Thor's powers and his hammer.

Rick Remender did a good job balancing a team on Uncanny X-Force, and he used a lot of back story in a way that was very accessible-- so I'm happy. It has Thor and Cassaday art, I can't stay away. I don't know Havok very well, but I'm excited when writers get to use their favorite characters.

DoomJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #65
venom892
Got Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
I don't recall the Spider-Man Annual.
It was the Sensational Spider-man annual in 2007.Focused on MJ and Peter during the time his identity had been revealed.It was very well done.My favorite work done by Fraction.

Vote for your favorites in The Battle of the Comic Book Films Tournament! here!
venom892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #66
runawayboulder
Feels like dancing

I still wouldn't call it the best Spider-Man annual ever....

Old 07-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #67
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomJester View Post
I'm excited for Uncanny Avengers. A lot of Thor fans are upset at Thor's treatment recently... I sorta wanna see what happens on the message boards when Rogue steals Thor's powers and his hammer.
That would be irritating, especially since Thor's hammer doesn't work that way. But it also wouldn't be surprising given how pathetic Thor's been in AvX so far.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:00 PM   #68
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
That would be irritating, especially since Thor's hammer doesn't work that way. But it also wouldn't be surprising given how pathetic Thor's been in AvX so far.
Cyclops begs to differ

LOL....J/K

Old 07-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #69
moraldeficiency
Maxwell's Demon

Quote:
I still wouldn't call it the best Spider-Man annual ever....
Name a better one. Most Spider-Man annuals are pretty horrific. In that one though fraction's writing of each character's voice (and how he wrapped up characters) was spot on and really seemed realistic and touching. Plus Peter seemed positively badass with his power usage something a lot of guest writers don't do very well.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #70
runawayboulder
Feels like dancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by moraldeficiency View Post
Name a better one. Most Spider-Man annuals are pretty horrific. In that one though fraction's writing of each character's voice (and how he wrapped up characters) was spot on and really seemed realistic and touching. Plus Peter seemed positively badass with his power usage something a lot of guest writers don't do very well.
Easy.....The Wedding Issue.

There were also the PPTSSM annuals (I think #5 and #6) by Peter David called Ace and Ace II respectively.

PPTSSM Annual #4 was pretty good as well. It was a Bill Mantlo story (and you know those are always good) about Aunt May's first love prior to Ben Parker.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #71
moraldeficiency
Maxwell's Demon

Quote:
Easy.....The Wedding Issue.

There were also the PPTSSM annuals (I think #5 and #6) by Peter David called Ace and Ace II respectively.

PPTSSM Annual #4 was pretty good as well. It was a Bill Mantlo story (and you know those are always good) about Aunt May's first love prior to Ben Parker.
Gotta say the wedding issue was momentous in significance but really not a very well written story. Aunt May dating has never been very good with the exception of jarvis in my mind.

Though I'll say as the issue you mentioned has been erased for continuity and doesn't exist you may be cheating and I'll call a foul on your issue choice. Sorry Fraction's Annual is still the best at least in writing of any Spider-Man annual I've ever read. And as an example of Fraction able to write a good, clever and compelling comic it's a great one and done showcase.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #72
runawayboulder
Feels like dancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by moraldeficiency View Post
Gotta say the wedding issue was momentous in significance but really not a very well written story. Aunt May dating has never been very good with the exception of jarvis in my mind.

Though I'll say as the issue you mentioned has been erased for continuity and doesn't exist you may be cheating and I'll call a foul on your issue choice. Sorry Fraction's Annual is still the best at least in writing of any Spider-Man annual I've ever read. And as an example of Fraction able to write a good, clever and compelling comic it's a great one and done showcase.
I don't care how many One More Day's Marvel wants to throw at us, as far as I'm concerned the wedding issue exists and I consider it required reading for any Spider fan. You just want to say that it's cheating because you totally forgot about it prior to making your proclamation......c'mon admit it....

And for the record, it wasn't an Aunt May dating issue like that. It was a story about when she first met Uncle Ben. She was torn between the nice guy (Ben) and a bad guy Johnny Jerome who was a murderer, thief and charmer. Like I said, it was by Bill Mantlo who was a terrific writer in his day prior to his tragic hit and run accident.

I'll admit though the annual had a horrid back up story involving Spider-Man and Black Cat having dinner with one of Cat's old scam artist buddies. They were doing odd stuff like playing Ozzie and Harriet in full costume making dinner, setting the table and Spidey was even watching football in a lounge chair like he was somebody's dad. So freaking bizarre....

Old 07-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #73
moraldeficiency
Maxwell's Demon

Quote:
I don't care how many One More Day's Marvel wants to throw at us, as far as I'm concerned the wedding issue exists and I consider it required reading for any Spider fan. You just want to say that it's cheating because you totally forgot about it prior to making your proclamation......c'mon admit it....

And for the record, it wasn't an Aunt May dating issue like that. It was a story about when she first met Uncle Ben. She was torn between the nice guy (Ben) and a bad guy Johnny Jerome who was a murderer, thief and charmer. Like I said, it was by Bill Mantlo who was a terrific writer in his day prior to his tragic hit and run accident.

I'll admit though the annual had a horrid back up story involving Spider-Man and Black Cat having dinner with one of Cat's old scam artist buddies. They were doing odd stuff like playing Ozzie and Harriet in full costume making dinner, setting the table and Spidey was even watching football in a lounge chair like he was somebody's dad. So freaking bizarre....
No I discounted it first cause it really wasn't well written as a story goes. I then discounted it cause it's also dirty pool.

I think I remember ready that. It was pretty good as I recall but not good enough that it really stuck with me. I don't remember the back up story but maybe that was for the best. A few of fraction's lines from that annual were just epic especially with MJ talking to that former guy she dated and peter explaining to that cop how uncle ben's death is what gets Peter out of bed every morning and MJ is what let's him stop being Spider-Man and have a life? That was pretty damn good and spot on. I still say as a written annual in terms of voice and plot fraction kicked the crap out of that annual better than any Spider-Man annual I've ever read.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #74
Havok83
Side-Kick

Old 08-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #75
runawayboulder
Feels like dancing

What the f**k is going on with Wanda's eyes? Are they shut and that's eye-shadow or did baby Wolverine fart on her pillow?