Old 07-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #26
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Default Re: OFFICIAL Rate & Review the Amazing Spider-Man! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
My review:

I give it a 7 out of 10.

The plot just seems to go from point A to point B without a natural flow (much like Daredevil did), we never really get to understand many of the characters or their motivations, too much is left unresolved (to the point of feeling more like a setup for a sequel than a movie in and of itself) and the characterization of Peter is awful. We may have gotten quips, but Garfield's Parker lacks the common man, likability that Maguire brought to the table....there was a genuine warmth to Peter that made the audience root for him. Garfield, IMO, lacked that. He just came off as a punk with a chip on his shoulder. Furthermore the Lizard was beyond absurd in terms of appearance and characterization. His scheme felt like something from an 70s Bond movie.

One huge problem that I had is that I never really felt Spider-Man's presence. He was there, but no one outside of the main characters and a crane worker really seemed to care. Raimi's films, for better or worse, showed the world's reactions to a guy in spandex swinging through Manhattan stopping crimes. This movie needed something like that. The impact should've been felt in the world.

That being said, it was well acted (especially from Leary and Sheen) and the action scenes were great.

So yeah, overall, 7 out of 10. Not quite Batman Begins, not quite Superman Returns but somewhere in the middle. The sequel does have potential to be better....but the movie should've focused a little less on what is to come and a little more on what is in the now.
My thoughts exactly

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 07-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #27
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
My review:

I give it a 7 out of 10.

The plot just seems to go from point A to point B without a natural flow (much like Daredevil did), we never really get to understand many of the characters or their motivations, too much is left unresolved (to the point of feeling more like a setup for a sequel than a movie in and of itself) and the characterization of Peter is awful. We may have gotten quips, but Garfield's Parker lacks the common man, likability that Maguire brought to the table....there was a genuine warmth to Peter that made the audience root for him. Garfield, IMO, lacked that. He just came off as a punk with a chip on his shoulder. Furthermore the Lizard was beyond absurd in terms of appearance and characterization. His scheme felt like something from an 70s Bond movie.

One huge problem that I had is that I never really felt Spider-Man's presence. He was there, but no one outside of the main characters and a crane worker really seemed to care. Raimi's films, for better or worse, showed the world's reactions to a guy in spandex swinging through Manhattan stopping crimes. This movie needed something like that. The impact should've been felt in the world.

That being said, it was well acted (especially from Leary and Sheen) and the action scenes were great.

So yeah, overall, 7 out of 10. Not quite Batman Begins, not quite Superman Returns but somewhere in the middle. The sequel does have potential to be better....but the movie should've focused a little less on what is to come and a little more on what is in the now.

I would say worse. The scene in part 2 comes to mind when he stops that car from flying at those people and that one girl starts yelling "GO SPIDEY GO!". I enjoy the first two films but I appreciate the lack of cheese and sappy ******** in this new one.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #28
Smegger56
The Smegginator

I think the fact that the female lead had something to do besides be eye candy (though that was part of here character ) and be held by the villain is a MAJOR plus.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #29
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
I would say worse. The scene in part 2 comes to mind when he stops that car from flying at those people and that one girl starts yelling "GO SPIDEY GO!". I enjoy the first two films but I appreciate the lack of cheese and sappy ******** in this new one.
And that was like one of the good ones. We had the "Guy with eight hands. Sounds hot." "He stinks and I don't like him." And the singers, the cowboy hippie and the crappy violin player. Glad we didn't have that kind of reactions, but the grateful crane guy.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #30
AbsractPo3tic
Marky McFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
And that was like one of the good ones. We had the "Guy with eight hands. Sounds hot." "He stinks and I don't like him." And the singers, the cowboy hippie and the crappy violin player. Glad we didn't have that kind of reactions, but the grateful crane guy.
As long as they don't do any meta moments like having someone sing the spider-man theme song, I'm good to go

Old 07-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #31
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
That was one of the ones that irritated the hell out of me. The old lady singing the old school Spider-Man theme.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #32
Jexx
the Emerald Eagle

He dresses like a spider and looks like a bug, we should all give him one big hug... look out, whoo! Here comes the Spider-man!

Old 07-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #33
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
That was one of the ones that irritated the hell out of me. The old lady singing the old school Spider-Man theme.
Oh yes. I was like "really?"

Old 07-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #34
Nathan

I liked that they showed Flash being a Fan. Even though he says it's just for the chicks.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #35
AbsractPo3tic
Marky McFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I liked that they showed Flash being a Fan. Even though he says it's just for the chicks.
I don't think he was saying it because the chicks dig him. I think those are two separate statements. Just saying the dude's crazy and then saying the chicks dig him. Like me saying I'm a fan of George Clooney but then also saying women dig him

Old 07-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #36
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

He likes Spidey for both reasons.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #37
Joe_Kickass
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexx View Post
He dresses like a spider and looks like a bug, we should all give him one big hug... look out, whoo! Here comes the Spider-man!
I've always wonders...is that singer from Nickelback?
They did the main theme song for the movie...
*shudders*

Old 07-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #38
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I had always had Issues with all the Rami Trilogy not just 3.The Amazing Spider-Man Is more the spider-Man film I have wanted to see.

Andrew Garfield Is more the peter Parker/Spider-man I wanted to see.He Is clearly smart.His quiping to the car thief and to Lizard blows away what little
quiping rami had.He shows a Peter who can at times get wrapped up In his own problems.And having mechinal web shooters adds so much to bring the classic Spider-man on screen.

Emma Stone Is Classic Gwen Stacy brought to life.While Gwen never learned of peter being spidey In Comics she comes off very well here.In her first scene she Is better than Kirsten Dunst was In entire Rami Trilogy.And here I never cringed at her scenes with Peter as I did between Peter and Mary Jane In preious trilogy.Ok I wil admit I like Gwen Stacy better than Mary Jane.

With the Lizard I say he turned out better than most villains In Rami's trilogy(with exception of DR Octopus although Rami did some things I didn't like)
It was nice to have Lizard talk.They even payed homage to classic Lizard look.Nice that Conners was allowed the door to return for the other parts of this trilogy.

Now my theory Is the man In
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
post credit scene

Is
Mystero.Only villain I can think of who could disappear that
fast

Flash Thompson although only In 4 scenes was the actual character while In
first film there was character called Flash Thompson but that was about the
only thing In common.

Dennis Leary did good job as George Stacy.And this character could have come off as Jerk.

Martin Sheen did great job as Ben Parker.He felt like more like a character.His death felt a bit closer to the comics than the rami version was.And his death
affected Peter far more here.

Sally Field did good job but was underused here.While she doesn't fit the visual Image of May she got the spirit of May right.I saw the mothering
figure of peter's life better here.Now there Is no way
she doesn't know Peter Is SPider-Man.She would have to be dumb not to figure It out

I would call my picks for top 10 comic book films like this now
1:Tie between Superman,X2,and the Dark Knight Knight
4:The Avengers
5:Tie between Batman Begins and X-Men First Class
7:X-Men
8:Batman Returns
9:The Amazing Spider-Man
10:Batman(1989)

Old 07-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #39
Sasobek
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Kickass View Post
They did the main theme song for the movie...
*shudders*
Say what you will about Nickelback, I don't like them as much as the next guy..

But dammit I actually like that song!

Old 07-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #40
ModernMythMedia

We rate and review "The Amazing Spider-Man" in the latest Modern Myth Media Podcast.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #41
Jack O Lantern
Mad Jack

My thoughts.

I think this was the Spider-Man movie that I have been waiting for without ever realizing it. I say this as someone who was and still is a massive fan of the Raimi films, the first two in particular, but this is a much closer representation of Spider-Man as I see him.

Andrew Garfield is Spider-Man’s Christopher Reeve in that he is near perfect for the role. He plays Peter with a shy charisma that I always imagined Bendis’ Peter to have. He struggles to make eye contact through the majority of film. He is too bashful to even tell Connors he came up with the formula, the best he can do is point at his brain. But as Spider-Man, with a mask and zero consequences he can do or say what he pleases.

He grows throughout the film. It’s not the case that as soon as Uncle Ben dies, that’s it, lesson learned. Because people aren’t like that. He doesn’t grasp what Ben means when he tells him to use his gifts for others but convinces himself that he does. He hands a desperate man his salvation and then walks away. He webs crooks up outside the police station then walks away. His actions endanger others but he is too busy walking away to notice.
Emma Stone is probably the best female lead in a superhero movie, maybe Michelle Pfeiffer is better. Despite being pretty and brainy she is still as awkward as Peter. The scene when they plan their date and she forgets to write her full address shows she is just a kid too. Later she helps save the day and shows courage when face to face with the Lizard.

The relationship between the two characters is what makes the film work. Some people say that it feels rushed. They’re 16, of course it’s rushed. At that age you brush a girls hand and you get a tingling feeling that you mistake for deep love but it’s really you’re a virgin.

I started getting excited about this movie when Martin Sheen was cast. The scenes between President Bartlet and Zoey on The West Wing and even his scenes with Leo Di Carprio in The Departed showed the great warmth that he could bring to this character. He does this in spades. He’s shown being a father and they’re shown being a family. He’s also shown being a character in his own right getting the biggest laugh of the movie [excluding Stan Lee], “He has you on his computer.” It hurts when he dies.

With all this going on it’s almost a disappointment when the superhero stuff arrives. Connors is an interesting character up until becoming the Lizard. He goes from a pathetic character looking to become whole to trying to change everyone into a Lizard. It makes sense in the movie and I think it’s clear his mind is clouded by the serum but even so it felt to over the top for such a grounded film.

But I think having a weaker villain allowed the origin of Spider-Man and Peter’s relationships room to breathe in a way they might not otherwise. Someone like Norman Osborn demands screen time that may have short changed Peter.
Marc Webb had to win me over with this film. I had seen (500) Days of Summer and did not like it. I felt it was very gimmicky with an unnecessary use of nonlinear story telling as while as split screens. But he is great here. He struggles to match Raimi with the action sequences, very few could, but he has a great command of the small moments and this is a film of small moments. In the car jacker scene he has the ability to switch tones twice. In starts of playful and comedic but quickly turns sinister, there is a moment when the camera closes in on Spidey that is kind of scary, before switching back to playful when he discovers this isn’t Uncle Ben’s killer.

The score is wonderful. This isn’t a big, bombastic epic but a thoughtful film. The score reflects that. My favourite moment comes when with the crane scene. Wounded, Spider-Man is crawling his way to Oscorp but isn’t going to get there in time. Then he sees the cranes lied up. With renewed determination he bandages his leg, slowing he begins to limp, then begins to jog before breaking into a sprint, the music builds with him throughout until the moment he leaps over the edge.

I think this is my favourite superhero film now, just about better than Spider-Man 2.

Last edited by Jack O Lantern; 07-08-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #42
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smegger56 View Post
I think the fact that the female lead had something to do besides be eye candy (though that was part of here character ) and be held by the villain is a MAJOR plus.
But this is counter acted for me by the fact that Peter is out to clean up his own messes in this film pretty much. Webb's NYC was put in peril because Peter "created" the villain. In Raimi's films, they obtained power without Parker's help (outside of Venom, but even there the symbiote would have chosen a host anyway). I like that aspect of the Raimi world far more than in Webb's world.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #43
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

Eh, I think at most Peter sped up Lizard's creation, he didn't create Lizard.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #44
Spider-Fan
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
Eh, I think at most Peter sped up Lizard's creation, he didn't create Lizard.
Connors admited he couldn't complete his research without Peter's dad. He couldn't come up with the formula. Peter gave the key to him, and opened Pandora's Box. Now he will likely be responsible for all of NYC's ills in these movies, given the emphasis on cross-species genetics. All based off that formula he gave Connors. Clearly his fault.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #45
Matt
We Are Hunter Rider!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
But when done effectively it was brilliant. TASM desperately needed something like the montage from Spider-Man that really establishes his presence in NYC.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #46
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

very good overall, lots of good character development moments.. even Flash has a humane arc instead of being the cliche' bully throughout..

..I'm disappointed slightly with the burglar/Uncle Ben death scenario.. Here, apparently, Spidey never had a career as a pro wrestler or TV entertainer (yes, crashing into an abandoned exhibition gym and seeing a luchador mask inspires him to create the outfit, but..) just straight into crimefighting.. and of course, it wasn't clear whether the original Robber was ever caught by movie's end.. (part 2?)

.. I see Norman Osborn is like the Emperor or something, here.. The "old man" of the company, spoken of but "never" seen (at least not completely, if you assume that's him at the epilogue).. curious..

.. No Harry at all, here, no MJ, no Daily Bugle staff-- jonah, robbie, betty.. more to develop in the next film, I hope..

.. Captain Stacy.. wow!! after all that, I figured he'd end up simply becoming an ally, like a Commissioner Gordon.. I didn't figure they'd kill him off..

(and Gwen has how many siblings now? and I never knew a police Captain could afford a park avenue penthouse.. but maybe the wife's family is wealthy?)

excellent that Pete invents his webcasters here, I hope to see more gadgets in the next film..

.. another surprise that Connors actually goes to jail, instead of falling to his death, which is what I expected.. I wonder will we get to see Ravencroft Asylum..

..glad to see the NYC community steps up in the climax, to give Spidey a means to get to OsCorp Tower faster..

Will the OsCorp suit return in the next film? I expected him to be killed but it didn't happen..

Old 07-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #47
Paradox1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
But this is counter acted for me by the fact that Peter is out to clean up his own messes in this film pretty much. Webb's NYC was put in peril because Peter "created" the villain. In Raimi's films, they obtained power without Parker's help (outside of Venom, but even there the symbiote would have chosen a host anyway). I like that aspect of the Raimi world far more than in Webb's world.
He didn't create the Lizard no more than Batman created the Joker or Scarecrow. You also forget to mention Conners was against human testing but was almost forced into it when Osborne's lackey was ready to move into human trials on veterans.

"Wars are never won, regardless of who might be the victor. The very act of war is itself a horrible defeat." Guardian of the Universe "Battleground: Oa!" Green Lantern, 1st Silver Age series, #127, Denny O'Neil)
Old 07-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #48
Spiderine
Business as Usual

Quote:
But when done effectively it was brilliant. TASM desperately needed something like the montage from Spider-Man that really establishes his presence in NYC.
I think they were trying real hard not to duplicate certain things in the first film since they decided to retread his origin so soon. Hence part of the reason JJJ is absent. They give vague reactions here and there but it's mainly from the perspective of Captain Stacy how he feels about Spiderman.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #49
Spider-Fan
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
He didn't create the Lizard no more than Batman created the Joker or Scarecrow. You also forget to mention Conners was against human testing but was almost forced into it when Osborne's lackey was ready to move into human trials on veterans.
Batman didn't give Joker scar the Joker or start Crane experminting on people. However, Connors couldn't become the Lizard without getting past the decay factor, which Peter did FOR him. That opened the door to it. Thus, he created the Lizard in a way that Batman didn't for the ones you named. Not the same at all.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #50
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Crane was already Scarecrow before the movie even started.

Closed Thread