The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 02-07-2014, 10:18 PM   #1
ajvenigalla

Default Are there any cinephiles who enjoy The Dark Knight Trilogy?

I would like to know, are there any cinephiles among the fanbase of The Dark Knight Trilogy?

When I say cinephile, I mean the person who enjoys movies like Citizen Kane, The Godfather, old classic movies, Lawrence of Arabia, Ben-Hur, and other deeper movies, both from mainstream and obscure sources and from classic and modern eras (and that includes even some blockbuster/popcorn films). This Wikipedia article (as well as many others) better explains the idea of cinephile, but this is a general description of cinephiles.

These are usually on subreddits like TrueFilm and TrueCinema, and many not only enjoy movies but many also enjoy it on the deeper levels, and this would include enjoying movies that average persons might find boring.

So are there any cinephiles among the fanbase of The Dark Knight Trilogy, who enjoy all of the movies (including The Dark Knight Rises)and consider them to be masterpieces or at the very least great/good movies?

ajvenigalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:14 PM   #2
shauner111
Side-Kick

Default Re: Are there any cinephiles who enjoy The Dark Knight Trilogy?

That would be me!

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:26 PM   #3
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I'd consider myself a burgeoning cinephile at the very least. I find that there's always a hidden gem that you haven't seen yet and never enough time to see them all, but I definitely appreciate and am well-versed when it come to the classics. I read film analysis pretty regularly too. Hopefully none of that came out overly pretentious. I'm certainly not a movie snob, I have tons of guilty pleasures too.

And yeah, I adore the trilogy. To me, as a body of work it's a masterpiece.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 02-07-2014 at 11:43 PM.
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:20 AM   #4
bilbo baggins
Side-Kick

consider me in as well!

bilbo baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:35 AM   #5
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

I like all the movies you mention.

I love The Dark Knight very much. A masterpiece among superhero movies, TDKR not so much and Batman Begins even less.

But all in all it's the best superhero trilogy so far.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:35 AM   #6
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvenigalla View Post
I would like to know, are there any cinephiles among the fanbase of The Dark Knight Trilogy?

When I say cinephile, I mean the person who enjoys movies like Citizen Kane, The Godfather, old classic movies, Lawrence of Arabia, Ben-Hur, and other deeper movies, both from mainstream and obscure sources and from classic and modern eras (and that includes even some blockbuster/popcorn films). This Wikipedia article (as well as many others) better explains the idea of cinephile, but this is a general description of cinephiles.

These are usually on subreddits like TrueFilm and TrueCinema, and many not only enjoy movies but many also enjoy it on the deeper levels, and this would include enjoying movies that average persons might find boring.

So are there any cinephiles among the fanbase of The Dark Knight Trilogy, who enjoy all of the movies (including The Dark Knight Rises)and consider them to be masterpieces or at the very least great/good movies?
Hi there. It is a bit of a pretentious title, but yes, that would apply to me. Albeit, I would only consider maybe The Dark Knight to be a masterpiece of the bunch and even that is a lofty handle.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:07 AM   #7
Cain
Man of Tomorrow

I liked the first 2. Well much more the second one than the first one but I really really disliked the third one. So the trilogy as a whole didn't really work for me.

Pull list: Saga, The Manhattan Projects, Thief of Thieves, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Future's End, Action Comics, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Red Lanterns, Swamp Thing, Justice League, Justice League 3000, Justice League United, Earth 2, Earth 2: World's End, Worlds' Finest, Batman '66, Batgirl, Gotham Academy, Multiversity, X-O Manowar, Unity, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #8
OutOfBoose
Bat-Brain

I liked the first movie up to the point where Batman goes on the streets. Also, the first movie is really different in style from the rest two. Doesn't really feel like a part of the trilogy. Except for the story.

The second one is a masterpiece.

The third one was a mess with some great moments. I consider it to be dramatically overrated.

So I don't really like it as a trilogy.

OutOfBoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:01 AM   #9
shauner111
Side-Kick

But the question is, are you guys cinephiles? lol.

Usually cinephiles have problems with Begins more than the other two.

I dont understand how people still think Rises is a mess. Not liking it as much as TDK, OK. But a mess? There's really not as many plotholes as people think. Did Citizen Kane have plotholes? Yes, it's still a classic amongst cinephiles. What's a plothole again? Bruce coming back to Gotham? That's not a plot-hole, it just happened off screen. A brace on his knee? Nope, if that's a plothole, so is the scene from dark knight returns. So how is it a mess? I thought it flowed pretty well and everything made sense.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #10
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

TDKR thoroughly convinced me that there's a ton of people out there who don't seem to know the actual definition of a plot hole. Either that, or they're purposefully misusing the term to validate their own gripes.

Anyhoo...cinephiles.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:09 AM   #11
shauner111
Side-Kick

They need to go to plot-hole school.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:24 AM   #12
weezerspider
Side-Kick

I love Rises, but there's no denying the fact that one of the most crucial plot-points (Bane's hostage of the city) hinges on very bad writing if you don't want to call it a plot hole. No one in their right mind would send every freakin cop into the sewers to smoke one guy out. That's just ludicrous. This is typically a small thing that it is easy to let slide, but the fact that a good portion of the plot hinges on that exact fact, it definitely weakens the film a tad.

That said, I find many aspects of TDKR to be better than TDK(though certainly not as a whole) and I enjoy the whole trilogy. I consider myself a cinephile, but this is a pretty stupid topic.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #13
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
They need to go to plot-hole school.
I cannot claim to be a cinephile, for that I need to spend a lot more time watching world cinema..which is a daunting task.

But, I liked the TDK trilogy as a whole, I feel that BB is underrated, TDK some what overrated and TDKR misunderstood by many fans.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Bruce_Begins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:50 AM   #14
OutOfBoose
Bat-Brain

Quote:
The OP described a cinephile as a dude/dudette, who watches and enjoys really old movies nobody gives a damn about today. I'm one of those weirdos. And I almost don't watch pop-corn flicks.
Quote:
Usually cinephiles have problems with Begins more than the other two.
I don't know, liking a half of the movie is more or less problematic than considering TDKR a mess?
Quote:
I dont understand how people still think Rises is a mess.
It was discussed to death already.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:50 AM   #15
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

If your definition of a cinephile is someone who enjoys old school movies like The Godfather, then I am a cinephile.

I love BB, I think TDK is a masterpiece of the CBM genre and my personal favorite, and TDKR is a flawed mess of a movie with some good scenes peppered in it.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #16
Cain
Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Wouldn't have answered the thread if I wasn't. I had a lot of issues with Batman Begins initially but I said everything I had to say on that subject during 2005 - 2008. I thought it was simply ok. Not the revelation most people claimed it to be. Mostly because well I saw a lot of the movies that influenced it growing up (I.e. The French Connection, Blade Runner, The Godfather) and felt that they handled a lot of the themes and visual tones a whole lot better. I don't care enough about the movie to speak on that now a days.

I'm 30 years old and have been watching movies at the cinema and on home video since I was 4. I started out with movies like RoboCop, Aliens, Ghostbusters, Beetlejuice, The Terminator, Elm Street series, The Fly, 48 Hours and Gremlins and moved on up to spaghetti westerns and classic italian horror before I was even 8 years old.

I've watched thousands of movies from the most mainstream hollywood film to the most obscure foreign film you could find. I watched the works of Kurosawa and Fellini when I was 12 years old because by that point in my life I was that deep into cinema. I spent a great deal of my life studying everything from the works of Stanley Kubrick & Werner Herzog to the films of John Carpenter and Walter Hill.

I don't go to the cinema as much as I used to anymore. A big reason is that I feel I've already seen most of the best of the best that the film medium has to offer and I find a lot of modern movies generic and uninspiring.

Pull list: Saga, The Manhattan Projects, Thief of Thieves, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Future's End, Action Comics, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Red Lanterns, Swamp Thing, Justice League, Justice League 3000, Justice League United, Earth 2, Earth 2: World's End, Worlds' Finest, Batman '66, Batgirl, Gotham Academy, Multiversity, X-O Manowar, Unity, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, Daredevil, All-New X-Men

Last edited by Cain; 02-08-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:29 PM   #17
milost
Banned User

C'mon ajvenigalla, just post a little more and show us all who you really are! I gots a feeling in my bones.

milost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:30 PM   #18
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

You think it's Anno?

Old 02-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #19
milost
Banned User

Need to see more posts for evidence.

Someone ask this ajvenigalla how they feel about Spider-Man 3, stat!

milost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:33 PM   #20
OutOfBoose
Bat-Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Not the revelation most people claimed it to be.
I felt just as much.

Quote:
I'm 30 years old and have been watching movies at the cinema and on home video since I was 4.
The same. Only started a bit later. When I was 7. And my first big screen experience was The Terminator.

Quote:
I've watched thousands of movies from the most mainstream hollywood film to the most obscure foreign film you could find.
Impressive. My movie count is about 1500, as my imdb account states. It would be bigger, I just usually turn the movie off, if it absolutely sucks during first 15-20 minutes. So I don't count those movies as "watched".

Quote:
I don't go to the cinema as much as I used to anymore. A big reason is that I feel I've already seen most of the best of the best that the film medium has to offer and I find a lot of modern movies generic and uninspiring.
The same. But comic book movies is something that still intrigues me, even despite decent movies in this area can be counted by fingers of one hand.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:19 PM   #21
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

I consider myself a cinephile. I watch movies of all genres, from all eras, from all countries. I have conservatively watched a couple thousand movies in my lifetime (I am 56 years old)....and I only like the first two movies of Nolan's trilogy.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:27 PM   #22
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I honestly have no idea what my movie count is. I should try to figure that out some day.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:27 PM   #23
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Its hard to answer your question without sounding pretentious. On the other hand , they also say most europeans are very pretentious (or at least the cinema that's made here).

Cinephile is a term i truly dislike. It has a very snobbish connotation.

Like everything in the world , there's content people like and others enjoy it a little bit more thoroughly . That's normal. Cinema wise , i would say its someone who enjoys the art and have genuine interest in the production of cinema. Not only how its done , but also historical context.

What i found strange was the examples you gave. Outside of Welle's film , Godfather , Ben Hur and Lawrence are 3 huge Studio films , that were not only extremely expensive , but aimed for a big revenue in the boxoffice These are some of the most well know mainstream films of history of cinema. They are like the least obscure films you could find.

I would say a "cinephile" is more akin to a person who enjoys the art as a worldwide 100 year history. From the silence era , to the golden age of hollywood , the 50-60s of japan , the french new wave , italian neorealism , the soviet bloc productions , the rebels from the 70's , the 80's asian films , all leading to what we see more as a modern and global art.

Why shouldn't they be enjoyed ? Because at least from a pure craftsmanship , these are immense films. They have absolutely no parallel in the genre , so at least they have that. The rest is personal taste.

Tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:42 PM   #24
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I'd have to agree with that assessment.

In fact, I'm not a "cinephile" in the purest sense, but in this age of streaming where films are becoming more and more readily available, I could see myself watching more and more foreign films that I may have never bothered to seek out in the past. I'm also something of an aspiring filmmaker, so when I get into 'creative' mode I tend to like to watch a lot of movies and soak stuff up.

I would consider myself very passionate and knowledgable about mainstream, American cinema, but I'd be lying if I said I was any sort of connoisseur of international cinema. I mean, I've studied film and all the different eras/regions of film, but there are still massive gaps in my viewing, probably because I'm the type of guy who will watch a movie I love 20 times and look for new things in it before I take a chance on a new movie. But again, these days there's so much available that it's hard NOT to watch new movies all the time.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:50 PM   #25
shauner111
Side-Kick

The name cinephile just sounds like im perverted for movies or something lol.

I also dont get why the OP mentioned Godfather. That's a pretty damn popular movie.

I enjoy Kubrick, Lynch, Fellini, Scorsese, Tarantino, Nolan, PT Anderson, Refn, Jonze, McQueen, Miike, Leone, Cianfrance. Occasionally ill watch a foreign film, Italian or Japanese. I still watch a lot of comedies and the occasional blockbuster when im out with my buddies. But i dont really "study" anything. Im certainly no hardcore cinephile. But i guess i am one nonetheless.